Key to Liberty | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Key to Liberty

Winning this game will hinge more on the defense than offense. Last year we were able able to put some points on them, but the D laid an egg. Need strong D this game…we not winning a shootout vs these guys.

Tucker ran for 100 last year on this team. They need to coach smart, play smart.

Time for Syracuse to actually clock manage a game. That irritates me most about Dino is the lack of originality with the game play with regards to time on clock and where the game is.

I think Liberty is a bit of a hard read right now.

Campbell W 48-7
Troy W 21-13
Old Dominion W 45-17

What conclusions can be drawn from who they played? Syracuse would be 3-0 against that to and probably with similar to better scores.

Game seems a bit even on paper but they're definitely going to get a much better Syracuse team. Probably be a lot of the same old same old with an athletic QB who scrambles for back backing 3rd down conversions but our defense is filthy and our backers can run with him. I think if we bend but don't break we'll be in good shape. The offense is going to have to score some points. 30? Will that be good enough?

Shots fired - no lack of confidence…

I don't think anyone on our team forgot their celebration last year. We'll be ready to play.

Insert jokes about us having to take Liberty so seriously, but this is no MAC team. They've spent as much as any G5, and it shows in their results. They also won at Blacksburg last year, and had a 1 point loss in Raleigh.

We have a better D this year and won't have Rex starting. We're going to right last year's wrong.

I don't think anyone on our team forgot their celebration last year. We'll be ready to play.

Insert jokes about us having to take Liberty so seriously, but this is no MAC team. They've spent as much as any G5, and it shows in their results. They also won at Blacksburg last year, and had a 1 point loss in Raleigh.

We have a better D this year and won't have Rex starting. We're going to right last year's wrong.
Except we have a QB who “thinks” the 20+ NFL scouts on hand should be there to scout him because he’s “done enough to be QB1.” While Liberty actually has a QB that wasn’t just hype and has proven his ability while surrounded by limited talent and resources.

They had a bigger and better OL than SU last year. A freshman named Shedro Louis lit us up for 170 yards rushing and 2 TDs.
I'm assuming that it's still the case that they have an excellent OL, at least relatively speaking.

Combine that with a QB who is an elusive runner but he also averages around 20-25 passing attempts per game.

And it's a shorter week to prepare.
Only way this turns out well is if Tony White comes up with what would be his best outing since he arrived in Syracuse.

I was looking at Liberty's starting OL and comparing with SU's OLinemen.
Liberty's OL is not bigger than SU's.
Issuing a retraction on my earlier statement about Liberty having a bigger OL.

LTSchultz, TristanSR6' 5"305
LGBounds, DamianRS SR6' 2"290
OCSargeant, ThomasRS SR6' 2"295
RGSchlittler, BrendanRS SO6' 5"315
RTMcCaw, CooperRS JR6' 5"305
LTBergeron, MatthewSO6' 5"315
LGBleich, ChrisRS SO6' 6"320
OCVettorello, CarlosRS SO6' 4"295
RGTisdale, DariusRS JR6' 5"300
RTServais, AironRS SR6' 6"300
RGDakota DavisRS JR6' 5"325

Except we have a QB who “thinks” the 20+ NFL scouts on hand should be there to scout him because he’s “done enough to be QB1.” While Liberty actually has a QB that wasn’t just hype and has proven his ability while surrounded by limited talent and resources.

There is absolutely NOTHING "limited" about Liberty's talent nor resources.

They have more money than God.
Are are very willing and able to spend it on football.

Plus, they will admit almost literally anybody, so they can take players
(AND coaches - see: Hugh Freeze aka Mr. "Jesus can't handle my junk" former SEC guy)
who wouldn't be eligible/allowed anywhere else.

There is absolutely NOTHING "limited" about Liberty's talent nor resources.

They have more money than God.
Are are very willing and able to spend it on football.

Plus, they will admit almost literally anybody, so they can take players
(AND coaches - see: Hugh Freeze aka Mr. "Jesus can't handle my junk" former SEC guy)
who wouldn't be eligible/allowed anywhere else.
Looks like Jesus could handle his junk after all.

He's right, their RBs had nearly 300 yards rushing last year. Run defense has to be a lot better to have a chance, I think Willis will still get them some points.

We were 3/14 on 3rd down and had 308 total yards on offense, can we get better than that?

Contain Willis = Victory , period
There is a lot of confidence here after a thrashing of SUNY Albany.
Not overconfident , we have to play better then we did against RU. Have to cut penalties and avoid turnovers but I think it’s a fairly even game.

They only put up 21 against Troy. I wonder what they did. Might want to watch that tape.

Or the spy was slow lol. Have to check out the game if I get a chance

I watched Liberty vs. Troy last night. My observations:

Troy's OL blew Liberty off the ball in the first drive, they seemed to be able to get 4+ yards at will. These were not RPO type runs, they looked like inside and outside zone. Troy scored a TD on the first drive and then decided to stop pounding the rock...

On defense Liberty likes to blitz 1 or both MLB in passing situations. They seemed to show their cards quite often presnap. They did some stunts with the DL which I imagine they will do more often with all issues we've had with them. The Troy QB got sacked a few times because he didn't get rid of the ball, couldn't tell if anyone was open.

Looks like Liberty ran lots of man coverage in the secondary.

Malik Willis- Did not have a very impressive day throwing the ball. Most of his damage was done with his feet, on broken plays. MW is not a fast twitch guy, but has plus speed and it tough to tackle due to his size. Troy got pressure with 4 on multiple occasions, but when they didn't get home or MW broke contain he did damage. MW likes to roll out right so the DE's will need to keep good angles, MW just outran the DL to the edges multiple times. Very tough to bring down. When he started scrambling he didn't seem to continue looking down field, just looking to get yards.

#3 Douglas and #1 Louis are undersized quick/shifty guys on their offense. #1 is a running back but more of a pass catcher, he runs lots of wheel routes from the backfield and to the flat for MW to give a dump off option when he is scrambling. Louis is very good in open space and we need to keep an eye on him.

Liberty runs lots of RPO and designed roll outs to take advantage of MW's running ability. Josh Mack didn't get a ton of run, didn't look great in the carries he did get. Their RB #15 seemed to run well between the tackles.

Hard to decide how good Liberty or Troy are. Troy couldn't get anything going on offense even though I thought their OL won the battle in the trenches.

The game will come down to tackling MW, he probably broke 15 tackles in the backfield against Troy. Can Marlow Wax and Mikel keep up with him? I think he can.

On offense is our O-Line as good as Troy? If so Tucker should be able to eat. If not I don't know if have the athletes to get open in man coverage.

Unlike Rutgers, Liberty seems pretty average on ST's.

Should be a good game, I think we will know whether we can win or not within the first couple Liberty drives.

Last edited:
Liberty’s D was looking faster last week and were blitzing a lot. We have to be prepared for their QB to try to strike early in the game and I think they’re gonna be bringing pressure on our QB, whoever that may be. Our Oline is decent though so maybe it is not as much of a concern as I’m making it out to be.

I watched Liberty vs. Troy last night. My observations:

Troy's OL blew Liberty off the ball in the first drive, they seemed to be able to get 4+ yards at will. These were not RPO type runs, they looked like inside and outside zone. Troy scored a TD on the first drive and then decided to stop pounding the rock...

On defense Liberty likes to blitz 1 or both MLB in passing situations. They seemed to show their cards quite often presnap. They did some stunts with the DL which I imagine they will do more often with all issues we've had with them. The Troy QB got sacked a few times because he didn't get rid of the ball, couldn't tell if anyone was open.

Looks like Liberty ran lots of man coverage in the secondary.

Malik Willis- Did not have a very impressive day throwing the ball. Most of his damage was done with his feet, on broken plays. MW is not a fast twitch guy, but has plus speed and it tough to tackle due to his size. Troy got pressure with 4 on multiple occasions, but when they didn't get home or MW broke contain he did damage. MW likes to roll out right so the DE's will need to keep good angles, MW just outran the DL to the edges multiple times. Very tough to bring down. When he started scrambling he didn't seem to continue looking down field, just looking to get yards.

#3 Douglas and #1 Louis are undersized quick/shifty guys on their offense. #1 is a running back but more of a pass catcher, he runs lots of wheel routes from the backfield and to the flat for MW to give a dump off option when he is scrambling. Louis is very good in open space and we need to keep an eye on him.

Liberty runs lots of RPO and designed roll outs to take advantage of MW's running ability. Josh Mack didn't get a ton of run, didn't look great in the carries he did get. Their RB #15 seemed to run well between the tackles.

Hard to decide how good Liberty or Troy are. Troy couldn't get anything going on offense even though I thought their OL won the battle in the trenches.

The game will come down to tackling MW, he probably broke 15 tackles in the backfield against Troy. Can Marlow Wax keep up with him? I think he can.

On offense is our O-Line as good as Troy? If so Tucker should be able to eat. If not I don't know if have the athletes to get open in man coverage.

Unlike Rutgers, Liberty seems pretty average on ST's.

Should be a good game, I think we will know whether we can win or not within the first couple Liberty drives.

nice work

I’m not sure how you have insight into his head and what he thinks but well done

Just looking at LAST year's boxscore vs Liberty...
Yup we played Culpepper at QB...this year we have 2 better QBs to run the show.
Last year, I think both Melifonwu AND Cisco were out for this game...A lot of youth in the secondary.
OLINE is better. DEFENSE will be better.
Keep the penalties at 7 or less and have strong special teams play...CUSE wins.