Keys to tonight's game | Syracusefan.com

Keys to tonight's game

RF2044

Living Legend
I want to beat Louisville--BADLY. If for no other reason than to actually beat a highly rated team this year, and to help close an otherwise down season on a positive note.

Here are the keys to the game, IMO:

• Jones being suspended: Not sure what caused this to happen, but it gives us a solid advantage. He is the cog in Louisville's on-the-ball pressure defense, which has been relentless this year. He's also their top playmaker and second leading scorer. They might be able to overcome his absence, but they've only had a day or two to make adjustments--which is not ideal. On paper, that's a big advantage for Syracuse.

• Rak staying out of foul trouble: Harrel is a terrific big and Onuaku is a big body. But Rak needs to bounce back in a big way and convert the easy ones inside that he missed against Duke--in other words, the shots he's hit all year. Harrel's gotten the better of him over the years; it's time to even up the score. And, we need Rak to avoid foul trouble because he is the key to the defense, and also need him to stay on the floor for the next factor...

• Rebounding: Louisville is the gang that can't shoot straight. Recent teams have fought back against us in the second half in part by going bombadier from three. We can't afford to give them second chance opportunities, or let them get two, three, or four cracks to score. Limit them to one-and-done, rebound, and make them go play defense. Not to mention, securing defensive rebounds is indirectly another way to prevent them from slapping on the press the way they can after makes.

• Perimeter defense: The PS article from yesterday outlined how poorly we're playing defensively in the second half of games. That has to change. Sticking with the three point shooting issue discussed in the previous bullet, Louisville doesn't shoot the ball consistently from three point range. We can't afford them to tee off from three like we allowed UNC to do. They're bound to have some clown who barely produces have a career day--always seems to happen--but we simply can't let them hit 7-9 threes. Need to do a MUCH better job finding shooters and taking way clean looks than we've been doing.

• Take care of the ball: Louisville is going to attack with massive pressure, like they always do. Our guards [and G] need to do a good job taking care of the ball to avoid giving them easy run out opportunities [I'm looking at you, Kaleb Joseph!]. G and Cooney [and to a lesser extent, Patterson] need to chip in and do a solid job handling the ball to mitigate the press and get the half court offensive sets initiated quicker in the shot clock.

Big opportunity in front of us tonight--here's hoping we rise to the occasion!

Let's Go Orange!!!

Last edited:
  • Take care of the ball: Louisville is going to attack with massive pressure, like they always do. Our guards [and G] need to do a good job taking care of the ball to avoid giving them easy run out opportunities [I'm looking at you, Kaleb Joseph!]. G and Cooney [and to a lesser extent, Patterson] need to chip in and do a solid job handling the ball to mitigate the press and get the half court offensive sets initiated quicker in the shot clock.

I would predict, knowing the type of team UL has been, that MsilentGB will be the primary ball handler as they bring the ball up the court under pressure with Cooney being the outlet. KJo will be second outlet. He is very loose with his handle and, when a player pressures, he is very poor at taking an aggressive move forward with a tendency of standing straight up dribbling high. Slick Rick has done a great job at teaching his guards how to blatantly foul use strong on the ball pressure. This is where JJo struggles when he is not making an attacking move towards the basket; in which he excels does much better.

Agree with all. The rebounding part in particular I mentioned in my pregame article - Harrell averages 3.3 offensive boards per game. He does a lot of his damage on second chance opportunities. Roberson needs to play like he did against Duke and work his butt off to keep Harrell in check on the glass.

just hard to get too keyed up given the sanctions but as long as we're only playing with house money anyways i'd like to see JB step out of his comfort zone and try a few new wrinkles tonite.

Great post RF, you have all the right bullets and I agree that rebounding is the most important one by far. Limit them to one shot and we'll take the game. We need a big effort by TR tonight.

Great post. I want to beat these guys bad, post season or not. This Louisville team can't shoot, so it's going to be rough inside and not a lot of scoring. We need to take the ball strong to the basket and not settle for the crap shots they hope we'll take.

As for the keys to the game, if you don't cut yourself off at halftime you better hand them over to someone else.

silent (G)ee! My mellow!
It's on to you, so whatcha gonna do?

Well, it's on'n'n'on'n'on on'n'on,
The beat don't stop until the break of dawn.
I said M-A-S, T-E-R, a (G) with a double E,
I said I go by the unforgettable name
Of the man they call the silent Gee.

I've had fears of this game since November. I pictured something akin to the 80+ point half Pitino's UK team put on LSU where they couldn't even advance the ball past half court. I am less concerned about that now for a variety of reasons. Form holding for our team will result a 10 point loss. There is still a big win out there for this team though and tonight has a reasonable chance of being it with their suspension and lack of typical depth.

silent (G)ee! My mellow!
It's on to you, so whatcha gonna do?

Well, it's on'n'n'on'n'on on'n'on,
The beat don't stop until the break of dawn.
I said M-A-S, T-E-R, a (G) with a double E,
I said I go by the unforgettable name
Of the man they call the silent Gee.
He's got a letter that's never spoken.
That's his name, it ain't broken.
Who cares if it's "B" or "I" or "G"?
As long he hits the freakin' 3.

Two biggest keys for me are handling Lville's press, it helps alot that Jones won't be playing, and rebounding. Can't let them get 2nd and 3rd chances.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom