Keys to victory against Loyola | Syracusefan.com

Keys to victory against Loyola

sulax

Walk On
After watching the ups and downs of this year, here are a few thoughts about the Loyola game:

Offense:
-Solomon (and the whole team) can hopefully limit the turnovers
-props to Desko this year (I thought he did a great coaching job this year), although he’s still not playing his best 6 offensive players as much as he can
-Lipka has been fine, but Buttermore should be on the 1st line for the entire game (not just on the last run of the game); we’ll need him against one of the best goalies in the country
-Buttermore should at least be on Man Up (our Man Up has been really good, but Loyola’s Man Down team is also one of the best in the country; it’ll be strength on strength)
-sorry to call someone out, but Carlin has struggled the entire year
-the Rehfuss to Voigt connection is deadly and needs to be on point
-it’s legacy time for Trimboli; he’s a solid player, but not an All American (maybe we had unrealistic expectations of him though; we need him to be aggressive, but he needs to limit the ‘wasted’ shots and possessions)

Defense:
-our help defense when they’re attacking from behind the cage needs to better (Cunningham’s lack of help/slides cost us at the end of the Carolina game) and hopefully Bomberry sliding too early doesn’t cost us
-limit the number of times that our offensive middies are getting caught in D (mostly Curry, but it happens too often, and generally is costly)
-careful of the pick plays
-hopefully Helmer doesn’t get beat again for another goal and/or penalty by pushing a player from behind on the side of the crease

Important Stat of the Game- I know it sounds a bit too simple, but when we get more ground balls then the opponent, then we generally win the game

Loyola is a really solid and balanced team, so it won’t be a shock if we lose; no matter what though, we’re pretty loaded for next year!

Go SU lax!

Loyola put up impressive numbers against several good defenses including Army in first matchup. They move ball well and can strike in the seams or from up top . Lindley is much more mobile this year, Olmstead is a underrated passer and Duffy can sting off swings. Then 40g scorers in both Spencer and Scanlan. Not a easy O to defend if they get in sync .
All defenders get beat at times including Mellen, unit has to avoid mental lapses and limit cheap goals which has cost us in losses. Surdick size bothered Spencer and Baretto was hot but matchups are different. D needs to limit number of high percentage shots and hopefully Porter is sharp from start . Spencer's tends to jump into crease against the rules. Sometimes called, sometimes not. Many push calls on crease vs Cuse have been highly questionable. Bears watching that refs call it right..

Our offense will need to register double digits to win. Doubt hitting ten suffices, 13 could be a lucky number. Extended rest cuts both ways, may take some time to get in sync but also can tighten rotation given fresher legs.

Hounds a good team especially at home. Forget any lines . 50-50 game

SU could make a decent run in the playoffs if they can consistently play four quarters each game. We'll see which team shows up tomorrow at noon...

Well that 4th quarter sucked!! You work your ass off for an entire season, you play a solid 3 quarters in a playoff game, and then the entire team just lays an egg in the biggest quarter of the year? The exact opposite of clutch. Disappointing. And not just a few players, but literally the whole damn team sucked in the 4th.

I didn’t see that coming (I thought we had more heart), but interesting how many of my concerns came true, especially: how much Helmer got exploited, how Bomberry’s early slides cost us a few goals, how good their goalie was (although our shooting coach should be fired; I could just imagine Ryan Powell also screaming at the tv “change the plane of your shot!!!”), how our edge in ground balls was contributing to our lead, and how Buttermore didn’t get enough chances. BUT the difference in the game was obviously Spencer. I take some solace in that I thought we were actually the better team, but the difference in the game was ‘they had Spencer and we didn’t’. He was awesome!

Desko coached an ok game. No issues with his game-plan. The players just choked in the 4th. 2 games in a row, too! Maybe we need a new conditioning coach?

This is just how teams felt going up against SU lax in years past in going against our #22s. I said last year that we needed Austin Staats to pick SU, and I think I was right. Big time players make big time plays in big time games, and we just didn’t have one. We have good players though. We Really need Dordevic to be ‘that guy’ for us next year. It’ll be 7 years since Jojo Marasco graduated and since we had a real #22, and that’s a long time for SU lax (I do realize that last comment sounds arrogant, because 1. we’ve been spoiled with all time greats at SU, and 2. because there are many more good teams for players to pick from nowadays). However if Dordevic is a #22 talent and as good as I think he is, then we’re loaded for next year, and, if not, then Desko needs to get his butt on the recruiting trail for another #22!

Good luck to the ACC this postseason, and hopefully the ACC isn’t as bad as we were last year (because, if so, then maybe we won’t be as good as I think we’ll be next year)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom