Kitchen Sink | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Kitchen Sink

Those are all low-probability plays, however. The overall hit rate has not been terrible in my opinion. Someone, I think it was Lemon, made a poor, late adjustment on an underthrown deep ball at about the 5 yard line where no interference was called. Had he slowed up a second early, he either makes the catch or the DB runs him over and he would have gotten the call.

It was Chew, and how that wasn't interference, I don't know. I tried to keep calm at the game, knowing my perception is often poor, but I saw two angles on the replay. He got tackled as the ball came down. Clear interference. There were a couple really poor calls that went against us.

If your Oline struggles blocking how can you open up the playbook. I think DM and Hackett have showed their hand and haven't been holding back. They are trying to win every game and not thinking we better save something for SC. I liked the way they called the game though the execution leaves something to be desired.

It was Chew, and how that wasn't interference, I don't know. I tried to keep calm at the game, knowing my perception is often poor, but I saw two angles on the replay. He got tackled as the ball came down. Clear interference. There were a couple really poor calls that went against us.
I thought it was absolutely PI. He got mugged.

Good post.

It's true - the offense was open and creative on Saturday.

I recall thinking that Marrone was giving fans what they had been clamoring for, for years.
So naturally, the complaint dejour is that we need to get a big back in there and run up the gut.

If your Oline struggles blocking how can you open up the playbook. I think DM and Hackett have showed their hand and haven't been holding back. They are trying to win every game and not thinking we better save something for SC. I liked the way they called the game though the execution leaves something to be desired.
The O-line is struggling, yes. But they were also bringing 7-8 guys on alot of the plays, and if SU throws the ball down field more often, the Rhody coaches would have to begin to change up their defensive playcalling. Their safeties wouldn't continue to cheat, and they wouldn't blitz 2 or 3 of their LBs every play.

The O-line is struggling, yes. But they were also bringing 7-8 guys on alot of the plays, and if SU throws the ball down field more often, the Rhody coaches would have to begin to change up their defensive playcalling. Their safeties wouldn't continue to cheat, and they wouldn't blitz 2 or 3 of their LBs every play.
When they were bringing 7-8 guys Nassib didn't have time to throw the ball. It's not like the Oline was having a banner day protecting him and he got hammered A LOT. How can he throw the ball downfield when he's either running for his life or on his back but as others have pointed out he did throw the ball downfield on several occasions when he did have time. Do you expect them to do it every play?

The plan was apparently to go horizontal in the passing game.

I thought it was absolutely PI. He got mugged.

Yeah, but if you get mugged because you're trying to backtrack to a ball thrown about 15 steps behind you, it's not always going to get called. 5 steps, more likely. The question the ref has to ask is if that defender isn't there, could that WR go back and make that catch? I watched it a few times, and it's hard to say that answer was yes. Probably the worst throw of Nassib's few incompletions this year (which I don't think is a big deal, I think he's playing great).

Kinder... will get some run this week with the option. I agree with Chip, we have presented the playbook other than maybe what Kinder is working on, it just needs to be bettter executed. The line has missed assignments as well as been blown off the ball.

USC isn't that good people, they look a lot like the Florida St teams in the late Bowden years. loaded with talent but not that good on the field.

Washington wasn't very good either, but we made Jake Locker look like the Jake Locker that everyone thought he'd be. I agree that I don't think they're all that great, but they have a lot of talented kids, and I think line of scrimmage they're going to dominate without much of a sweat. It can easily shut down everything we hope to do. USC's biggest problem is USC. So let's hope for red zone inefficiencies like Wake, trade 7s for 3s and hang around.

Hopefully I'm wrong, and our lines play well. Just hard to imagine. What's going to happen to Macky is going to look criminal.

This line is good at getting the QB horizontal quickly
True.

The OL leaves much to be desired - the repeated passing in the flat I guess seeks to avoid sacks and take advantage of the many bodies in the defensive box.

True.

The OL leaves much to be desired - the repeated passing in the flat I guess seeks to avoid sacks and take advantage of the many bodies in the defensive box.
fwiw i've always preferred this approach to hunkering down in some max protect (or worse, bubble screening all day)

HCDM has mentioned many times that this offense is multiple and can do a lot of things, and I continue to hope to see new and different attacks. Against Rhody they committed to the pass unlike anything we've seen so far. They moved the ball, but they didn't score enough points.

People have different ideas of what multiple means but against RI, Syracuse ran 5 different plays (passing and running) out of 1 formation. That can certainly pose a problem for a defense trying to game plan.

fwiw i've always preferred this approach to hunkering down in some max protect (or worse, bubble screening all day)
Weren't they bubble screening all night?

That's what saw.

I had no problem with it - reminded me of Rob Spence.

Weren't they bubble screening all night?

That's what saw.

I had no problem with it - reminded me of Rob Spence.

I think of the bubble screen as the WR cutting inside for the catch, that's what Spence ran.

The URI game was getting the ball outside to the WR immediately and letting him stay out there in that space, as there should be only 3 DBs back, and then whomever from the 8 in the box can get out there in time to tackle. What exactly it's called, I don't know. But it's not really the same play or design, even if it's generally given the same name.

And not sure if it's been mentioned much, but Chew's blocking was very good on these plays when thrown to Lemon. Reason we didn't break some further was #1 on URI looked like a pretty legit safety. Great speed, shedding blocks. Wonder if he's a typical 1AA guy who just had a good day, or a 1AA guy whose name you'll hear in the future (whatever that name is).

When they were bringing 7-8 guys Nassib didn't have time to throw the ball. It's not like the Oline was having a banner day protecting him and he got hammered A LOT. How can he throw the ball downfield when he's either running for his life or on his back but as others have pointed out he did throw the ball downfield on several occasions when he did have time. Do you expect them to do it every play?
Roll out and get outside of the pocket could give him some more time. did they run alot of playaction?

Sent from my Droid Fascinate using Tapatalk.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom