Kitchen Sink | Syracusefan.com

Kitchen Sink

Rocco

Watching you.
Maybe it's just me, but the whole time I have been at the last 2 games, I can't help but think Marrone and Hackett aren't showing the full playbook yet. They really haven't opened up the field at all, and I am hoping and praying that this is in an effort to not show alot to USC and the rest of the BE. I want alot of deep balls, and I want PTG and Bailey catching more balls in the flats. I don't know why, but I keep feeling like SU is going to throw the kitchen sink at USC this weekend.

Hopefully I am right.

In theory, they shouldn't need the whole playbook to beat Rhode.

HCDM has mentioned many times that this offense is multiple and can do a lot of things, and I continue to hope to see new and different attacks. Against Rhody they committed to the pass unlike anything we've seen so far. They moved the ball, but they didn't score enough points.

Everyone seems to focus on the defense. This happened last year too when it seemed to me that everyone harped on the defense in the losses at the end of the year because Louisville and BC had some success running the ball. The defense was #7 in the country. The defense played well, but the offense failed to score points. This year the defense is going to truly struggle compared to last year, and the offense must score points. But I think the defense this year is similar to the 2009 defense, which is good enough, and nothing like the defenses we saw before 2009.

In theory, they shouldn't need the whole playbook to beat Rhode.
I understand, but for them to not open the field up more, seemed odd to me. You still have to win the game you are playing.

Maybe it's just me, but the whole time I have been at the last 2 games, I can't help but think Marrone and Hackett aren't showing the full playbook yet. They really haven't opened up the field at all, and I am hoping and praying that this is in an effort to not show alot to USC and the rest of the BE. I want alot of deep balls, and I want PTG and Bailey catching more balls in the flats. I don't know why, but I keep feeling like SU is going to throw the kitchen sink at USC this weekend.

Hopefully I am right.
not again. i remember the last kitchen stink game.

Hopefully I am right.
yeah - I remember toward the end of last season when the coaches were holding back plays and were going to throw the whole kitchen sink at each opponent after being terrible and bland the week before - didn't happen until the bowl game though - maybe this week is kitchen sink week /pseudo bowl game

somehow I doubt it, but man I hope that's the case

That have alot of speedy guys on O, and I wish they were using more plays designed for them. Specifically, Graham and Kobena on fly routes, more passes in the flats to PTG and Bailey. If Nassib is given enough time (which has been a huge problem this year) he has a great arm and can make all of the throws. If the D keeps cheating like RI did against the run, we should be stretching out the field. It seems so simple, but there is obviously a reason that the staff hasn't been doing it. I'm hoping they are going to show more stuff this weekend.

how much more do people expect to open up a game? we ran several reverses. fake reverses, we threw down the field half a dozen times. we compeleted as many passes as any game in SU history.we only had 8-9 possessions scored on 3, had TO and a TO on downs. people sound like all we did was run all day. had Nassib thrown the deep ball better we score 42 pts and have 450 yds passing..

how much more do people expect to open up a game? we ran several reverses. fake reverses, we threw down the field half a dozen times. we compeleted as many passes as any game in SU history.we only had 8-9 possessions scored on 3, had TO and a TO on downs. people sound like all we did was run all day. had Nassib thrown the deep ball better we score 42 pts and have 450 yds passing..
Good post.

It's true - the offense was open and creative on Saturday.

I recall thinking that Marrone was giving fans what they had been clamoring for, for years.

There's a difference between being wide open vs. opening up the playbook. All coaches save at least a handful of wrinkles for every game. I'm not expecting HCDM to show his entire hand for USC. I'd be surprised if he put much new into the game since our chances of winning look pretty slim. Save the wrinkles for a game we have a better chance at winning.

Hopefully I am right.

We can only run the plays we are capable of. If we can't stop pressure up the middle, it won't matter what we try to run. I would rather they compensate for the limited protection we have and hopefully make USC pay for being too aggressive.

If we can't stop pressure up the middle then it's time for more roll-outs. Pretty simple. Even McNabb was more effective on roll-outs for the very same reason.

The deep ball better? The Stevens ball was the only one that I remember as being a bad throw.

Yes, they ran a few tricky plays at the beginning of the game and gained yards. After that, they ran a vanilla offense. I don't care if Nassib had 29 completions. He had to throw as we weren't going anywhere running the ball.

We need to eat clock against USC not sure how but we need to run the ball i hope and expect to see smith and aam

Nassib had the deep ball to lemon for an INT where he should have read the deep throw for the TD. He missed the TE. He missed Chew deep where he led him to the wrong side of the DB and it was inc.. he missed Lemon open deep on a double move that was probably a TD. he has missed on half a dozen in the two games..

Nassib had the deep ball to lemon for an INT where he should have read the deep throw for the TD. He missed the TE. He missed Chew deep where he led him to the wrong side of the DB and it was inc.. he missed Lemon open deep on a double move that was probably a TD. he has missed on half a dozen in the two games..
First off, I have to go check the tape. ;)
Secondly, no college QB is going to make all perfect deep ball throws. When RI is throwing 8 guys in the box, Nassib should call an audible and throw the ball deep EVERYTIME. Our receivers are better athletes than RI's DBs. I assume he has the ability to call an audible.

Third, why wasn't Hackett making adjustments when they were stacking the box? Shotgun the ball, give Nassib more time, and let him throw it more downfield. Then RI would've stopped cheating on the run and it would have opened up our running game. Yes, he threw it downfield, but it wasn't nearly enough.

You've seen the kitchen sink. I think much of the offense has been presented. Maybe you'll get a flea flicker this week, but other than that, we've run a bit of everything. The only thing I don't think we really have run much of though, which I expected, are quick passes to Bailey on the outside. But I'd hardly call that a kitchen sink type play. It's a basic one.

That have alot of speedy guys on O, and I wish they were using more plays designed for them. Specifically, Graham and Kobena on fly routes, more passes in the flats to PTG and Bailey.
I'm actually 100% certain that the end around to Kobena was designed to set up a fly pattern this week at USC.

Kinder... will get some run this week with the option. I agree with Chip, we have presented the playbook other than maybe what Kinder is working on, it just needs to be bettter executed. The line has missed assignments as well as been blown off the ball.

USC isn't that good people, they look a lot like the Florida St teams in the late Bowden years. loaded with talent but not that good on the field.

I really hope that URI isn't a repeat of the Maine game last year. Can't get too excited about pitching and catching to Provincetown's uncovered split ends, unless you're Chip.

Our WR aren't going to get as open as easily now, we're going to need big plays when they're there

USC isn't that good people, they look a lot like the Florida St teams in the late Bowden years. loaded with talent but not that good on the field.
Agreed. For all our flaws, our next opponent is also flawed. This is a winnable game. True, I say this more as a reflection of how they're playing than because I see any reasons to be irrationality confident in our side, but I really do think we can pull this out with some breaks and timely playmaking.

If we can't stop pressure up the middle then it's time for more roll-outs. Pretty simple. Even McNabb was more effective on roll-outs for the very same reason.

That assumes there is no pressure from the edges. I don't think we can just roll out and hit guys in the flat or guys running drags. I think we are going to need to hope USC goes for the kill too often than not and we can break a screen or draw or something like that.

My real worry is that USC can basically do what URI did with less men - not needing to stack 8 or 9 in the box. They can play a seven man front and still get pressure and stop the run.

I think we have a chance to win this game, I just think Nassib is going to be running for his life if we try to do what we have done so far this season.

Maybe Krautman can kick 7 field goals and we can win 21-20.

i have the same gut feeling like i had going into the s.fla. and wvu. game. they gave us no respect until it was too late

Different defense,,, 7 great seniors, it's just a different team, I think we can do OK but we need to score points because our D will get beat up. I think people forget how good Merk was as well last year, after looking bad versus UW he had a great year

You can't rely on this defense to make stop after stop

Those are all low-probability plays, however. The overall hit rate has not been terrible in my opinion. Someone, I think it was Lemon, made a poor, late adjustment on an underthrown deep ball at about the 5 yard line where no interference was called. Had he slowed up a second early, he either makes the catch or the DB runs him over and he would have gotten the call.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom