Koda Martin to Cuse | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Koda Martin to Cuse

Why? He started all his games in the SEC last year. My guess is that he’ll start here and anytime you can grab a starting OL - he’s good.
I would assume that an SEC starting OL is pretty good, but I don't know how much better he is than anybody on our roster. Like, it sounds like he should be a starter since Texas A&M is usually pretty good and our OL is usually, uh... yeah.

It's a good addition, I just don't know what it means.

I would assume that an SEC starting OL is pretty good, but I don't know how much better he is than anybody on our roster. Like, it sounds like he should be a starter since Texas A&M is usually pretty good and our OL is usually, uh... yeah.

It's a good addition, I just don't know what it means.

I don’t know - I find quantifying the abilities of offensive linemen to be a dark art and I haven’t taken that course at Hogwarts yet

A great addition. This must have been a recent decision. Did he go through spring ball with A&M? If he was transferring, wouldn't he sit out spring ball as to not get hurt? Or, did I read somewhere that he was injured and did not play spring ball this year?

My uneducated guess is that maybe he was feeling out the new coaching staff and wanted to participate in spring practice to determine if it was going to be the right fit for him.

My uneducated guess is that maybe he was feeling out the new coaching staff and wanted to participate in spring practice to determine if it was going to be the right fit for him.

it is a little odd to me that jimbo had him practicing with the 1st team - that tells me he probably didnt know.

it could be that or it could be he got in the workouts and the practice time. Maybe the staff knew. maybe they didnt.

So I did some digging and these are the games Koda started.

It should be noted 3 sophomore starts were at Right Tackle, 1 at Tight End (LSU).

All of his junior starts were at Left Tackle.

2016 Sophomore Starts - 4 games
South Carolina - (Win 24-13)
New Mexico State - (Win 52-10)
LSU - (Loss 39-54)
Kansas State - (Loss 28-33)

2017 Junior Starts - 10 games

Louisiana - (Win 45-21)
Arkansas - (Win 50-43)
South Carolina - (Win 24-17)
Alabama - (Loss 19-27)
Florida - (Win 19-17)
Miss State - (Loss 14-35)
Auburn - (Loss 27-42)
New Mexico - (Win 55-14)
Ole Miss - (Win 31-24)
LSU - (Loss 21-45)
Wake Forest - (Loss 52-55)

I don't know if he'll beat out Servais but he immediately makes the depth better and will elevate the games of both Conway and Servais. When guys are pushed it makes everybody better. I'm not sure it would be a foregone conclusion that Servais is the guy to watch. Martin played LT all last year in the SEC West. Maybe it's Conway that gets pushed.

Perhaps being forced to exert himself to the point of heat stroke influenced his decision.

I find it hard to believe a D-I football player with Koda’s experience was improperly hydrated to the point of heat stroke.

I know Koda fell on the sword for his heat stroke hospitalization but I’m guessing that was a contributing factor in looking to leave.

Perhaps being forced to exert himself to the point of heat stroke influenced his decision.

I find it hard to believe a D-I football player with Koda’s experience was improperly hydrated to the point of heat stroke.

I know Koda fell on the sword for his heat stroke hospitalization but I’m guessing that was a contributing factor in looking to leave.

coach Martin didn't blame the staff, he blamed his son for pushing himself too hard. Why are you blaming the staff?

Does anybody know what the A&M board is saying about the transfer? He seems to have been an important player to them.

coach Martin didn't blame the staff, he blamed his son for pushing himself too hard. Why are you blaming the staff?

The Martins probably have class and decided to take the high road and look for a better situation.

I wouldn’t expect a college football coach with Texas roots to put the new A&M staff on blast for his son’s heat stroke.

I’m not a conspiracy theorist but it seems odd that a returning starter on the OL transfers out after having a heat stroke in his first spring with a new coaching staff.

Edit - or maybe I’m completely FOS and Koda just wanted to play for dad’s team.

I’m not a conspiracy theorist but it seems odd that a returning starter on the OL transfers out after having a heat stroke in his first spring with a new coaching staff.

Not very odd to have a Son and Daughter, move back to family. Even the Texas board says you can't blame him.
CUINwDVUAAAWdZG.jpg

This is very good news. The rotations and keeping people fresh will also be huge. The 2 lines on O and D are the best combined I've seen for a while on the hill.

With this, the running game will take off and force LB's to play in and open up the passing game to the inexperienced WR's. Add to that the threat of ED taking off and these WR's could not ask for a better situation.
Agree. Teams's DCs will have to respect the run more this year. If they don't it will be at their peril. Howard comes in, Strickland and Neal have experience and looked improved in the spring. And that was before Martin. This is just what the inexperienced receiving corps needed to take a little pressure off them. We now have more legitimate dimensions.

I dont see him starting. He is only going to have a few weeks in August to learn the playbook and mesh. Unless he is significantly better than one of the current starters he is going to need time.
Do you think he'll have a tutor (or two) to help him cram the playbook over the summer? :)

True freshmen come in a start at D-1 schools, why would anyone think a fifth year senior can't get ready to start at OT by opening day.

If you can play start at LT at A&M, you can be the starter at Syracuse.

He was practicing with the A&M team, experienced heat stroke and was hospitalized.

Former Manvel standout Koda Martin exiting Texas A&M for Syracuse

Koda Martin recently was in the news after suffering a heat stroke late in one of the Aggies' spring practices earlier this month under new coach Jimbo Fisher.

Koda spent a few days in a College Station hospital after what his dad described as kidney failure from the heat stroke. Kirk Martin told the Chronicle he did not blame A&M at all for the heat stroke, it's just that his son doesn't know when to let up and gave out after taking part in about 40 consecutive plays and then running seven gassers – a sprint from sideline to sideline and then back.

Does anybody know what the residual consquenses of "kidney failure from heat stroke" are?

Only one concern is that I remember when Dino first arrived it was the O-Line that had the toughest time adjusting to the faster pace. Looking at stats from last year, A&M averaged around 72 plays per game; Syracuse 88. About 22% more plays per game. Shouldn't be a big deal but expect there will be a bit of an adjustment

Does anybody know what the residual consquenses of "kidney failure from heat stroke" are?

Depends. With adequate treatment (IV fluids) though there should be none.

Pugh, Chibane, Macky, Trudo and Hickey were excellent... Conway, Roberts, Servais, Adams and Martin will be better. The 12 Oline allowed that offense to flourish, I hope the 18 does the same and more.

Loved that 2012 Oline!

I dont see him starting. He is only going to have a few weeks in August to learn the playbook and mesh. Unless he is significantly better than one of the current starters he is going to need time.

He will need time to adjust. I will preface this with saying that I love the move and I get it. He will add to an already deep unit that might be our strongest behind the QBs? As a unit, right? That said, you wonder what some of these guys that have been grinding all spring for a spot, sone rwd shirting, waiting 2-4 years for their shot and then...BAM!!! here comes coach's son in law immediately eligible and a stud . Gotta be a kick in the oranges .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom