Kyle Cuffe Transferring to Syracuse (5/18/23) | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Kyle Cuffe Transferring to Syracuse (5/18/23)

Symir was higher rated:

And a much better passer. But who knows, Cuffe may develop into a star in his four years here.
HS rankings are borderline meaningless once these guys are out of HS. Those incorporate a level of potential that some guys don't ever get to. And Symir, who is a good athlete, isn't in the same room with this kid athletically. A 40+ inch vert doesn't grow on trees.

Cuffe didn't play much at KU because he blew his knee out. Like someone else posted, consider him a prep/JUCO kid, but he spent his development years at one of, if not THE, best college basketball programs instead of Brewster.

Run and gun baby….let’s dial it up!

Amen RF

Fill all 13 scholarships with the best talent you can attract. Positionless basketball and versatile skill sets will make this "easier." Open competition for all spots and let results/productivity determine playing time. Fully expect and encourage the players who don't earn PT or the PT they think they deserve to portal. Some will leave for NIL, and some for early entry.

This IS the new reality. There will be significant roster turnover each and every season. There will be a constant need to recruit new talent. Glad to see Red embrace and leverage this reality.
This is definitely true, but on the other hand, guys who are transferring in will have to sit a year if they want to bolt again (unless they're going the grad transfer route), so that specter may help build the roster continuity many fans are lamenting from more open transfers.

If Cuffe carves out a bench role this year and gets the itch for more playing time in 2024-25 but is still blocked by some combination of Starling/Westry/Copeland/Taylor, plus Moore coming in, will it be worth it to him to go back to not playing to get those minutes elsewhere? Just a rhetorical here.

This is definitely true, but on the other hand, guys who are transferring in will have to sit a year if they want to bolt again (unless they're going the grad transfer route), so that specter may help build the roster continuity many fans are lamenting from more open transfers.

If Cuffe carves out a bench role this year and gets the itch for more playing time in 2024-25 but is still blocked by some combination of Starling/Westry/Copeland/Taylor, plus Moore coming in, will it be worth it to him to go back to not playing to get those minutes elsewhere? Just a rhetorical here.
He can just grad transfer for 25-26 and have 2 years of eligibility

Jeez. Looking at Hak and those uniforms—doesn't really seem like that long ago, but then when we get a transfer who is the son of the St. John's player in that photo... a real kick in the junk reminder of how much time has passed.

Another one came late this NBA season. The Kings ran this interstitial graphic just a month or so ago:

AwSF7rX.jpg

HS rankings are borderline meaningless once these guys are out of HS. Those incorporate a level of potential that some guys don't ever get to. And Symir, who is a good athlete, isn't in the same room with this kid athletically. A 40+ inch vert doesn't grow on trees.

Cuffe didn't play much at KU because he blew his knee out. Like someone else posted, consider him a prep/JUCO kid, but he spent his development years at one of, if not THE, best college basketball programs instead of Brewster.

I think Sym is a better point guard. Cuffe is more in the Mintz/Starling/Westry mode let's make the highlight film mode.

I think Sym is a better point guard. Cuffe is more in the Mintz/Starling/Westry mode let's make the highlight film mode.

Symir was a great kid. He struggled at times being even a true PG while then looking great at other times. The skills and bball iq were clearly there as was the leadership. This level appeared to be a bit too fast for him though. Hopefully at Bing the step down let's him do his thing and then get better too.

Symir was a great kid. He struggled at times being even a true PG while then looking great at other times. The skills and bball iq were clearly there as was the leadership. This level appeared to be a bit too fast for him though. Hopefully at Bing the step down let's him do his thing and then get better too.

Symir played very well in the 2022 ACCT. I hoped it might be a sign of things to come this year, but it didn't work out that way [probably due to Mintz being so good]. Oh well.

I was there! Small tournament in Gastonia, NC so I went to check out Dion and BMK (Oak Hill). Felt like the game stopped for like 5 mins after the dunk as everyone was in awe and Dion paraded around lol. Oak Hill was so much more talented top to bottom but Dion almost single handedly one that game for his team.
Dion paraded around??? I cant believe that! That guy was a ton of fun to watch...I love that you got there to watch a couple of our recruits and got a life long memory out of the deal as well!

I think it's likely that Cuffe finds court time against that group of players.

Admittedly haven't read all the responses but I am a little concerned about the roster going into 24/25. 12 scholarships (13 w Mintz) but with only 3 Jr's and no Sr's going into 23/24. I thought there was 1 kid committed for 2024. Therefore, that means no room to recruit for the 24 class. The center spot could use some upgrading , does that mean more portal shopping next spring? Hate to have to rely on kids leaving to bring in kids and hope u can upgrade at the same time.

Admittedly haven't read all the responses but I am a little concerned about the roster going into 24/25. 12 scholarships (13 w Mintz) but with only 3 Jr's and no Sr's going into 23/24. I thought there was 1 kid committed for 2024. Therefore, that means no room to recruit for the 24 class. The center spot could use some upgrading , does that mean more portal shopping next spring? Hate to have to rely on kids leaving to bring in kids and hope u can upgrade at the same time.
Guarantee after the minutes shake out this year we’ll lose multiple players between Cope/Taylor/Bell/Brown and the 4-headed center. They’re not going to ride pine forever.

We’ve got two commitments for 2024 with hopefully 2 to follow . And, don’t worry, the numbers will work themselves out.

Guarantee after the minutes shake out this year we’ll lose multiple players between Cope/Taylor/Bell/Brown and the 4-headed center. They’re not going to ride pine forever.
I understand that the roster will open up, but how can you recruit, offer scholarships when they aren't technically not .available. Will top recruits understand?

The Circle of Life.

So this transfer was a perfect excuse to talk to my old neighbor from my my wife and I had our first apartment in Maryland - the neighbor was a Kansas alum who actually grew up in Lawrence and obsessive KU hoops fan.

We kept in touch after a rocky start to the neighborship that improved over time and was a good hoops watching pal at BDubs until we moved.

Anyways we caught up and chatted Mr Cuffe.

Here's a few things he shared.

1- the first redshirt as always kind of a mystery as some said it was injury related as well as the second and others just due losing his last year in HS because of covid. When they just were speaking about one being medical and the other not, it was an eyebrow raise- but he said seeing that workout more recently- thinks it could just have been a lot of fan speculation - doesn't really know. Some of the online Kansas fanbase still seems to think it still was injury related, in part to if you just watch him play via old highlights he is quite reckless attacking the rim and often landing on one leg or awkwardly. He didn't mention anything about a reclass.

2- As for his recovery- there were mixed feelings and disagreements from fans around the ordeal. Mostly speculation. From what he heard Kyle has fully recovered and hard at work at his game. The explosiveness not gone but Kyle working hard on other parts of his game including his shot that might be way underrated at this juncture after a couple years at Kansas to work on it. Kyle is a relentless worker and gym rat. He said he met him once at a game and kid just is a bright spot wherever he goes. Sounds like Symir in that regard. Other thing he noted he has heard is that Kyle has focused on being smarter with the knee and not as reckless. That sort of promoted speculation he could never be the same athlete again- which is hogwash- its just about not taking unnecessary risks just to bring the house down... but no question he still can.

3. I invited him to this board as he lurks and occasionally posts on the KU board. He likely won't but did just share The KU board is like ours- a lot of impatient opinions and speculation that ends up with half the fans rooting a kid on and the other half saying he can't cut it, should go to a lesser school or that it's hilarious SU took a flyer and we suck because of it. The same hard-core saltiness we have here lol.

Looking forward to another good addition. Nothing I heard screams to this kid being a major reach or gambling. He's got 4 years of eligibility with 2 years around the best program in the country. Basically an older more experienced freshman.

I went on the ku board… most of them thought hed transfer to low D1 or D2. There were a few who said Kansas would wish he had stayed in a “few” years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom