Lamson out indefinitely with injury | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Lamson out indefinitely with injury

Not sure HIPAA applies here - it only covers health insurance companies, clearing houses, and medical providers, plus their business associates. No expert, but I don't think the training room of the SUAD would be considered a medical provider.

Also, not sure to what degree of privacy Lamson can expect. I can easily go on the website and obtain his height, weight, major, names of his parents, and his high school.
Maybe this?

1652107561892.png

I think the expecations were less about the spring game and more about what insiders were hearing about how coaches were excited about his work on the scout team. If he showed well against our 1st team defense in practice last year, that's promising.
I was excited we had someone show something positive. I also hedges my excitement knowing it was against second and third team D in a controlled spring game environment.

Kid will probably red shirt medical this year and compete for starter spot next year.

That's still 100% up for debate. Any idea that either one would be able to enter a game and not sink the offense is still theoretical at this point. People on this board have really built up Villari into something he likely isn't. Folks just see that he went to Michigan and think that automatically makes him something significant. He was a Plan D there as their QB recruit in that cycle got diagnosed with a heart defect late and was ruled ineligible. He was their #4 QB last year and looking like he was going to be our #3. Maybe the kid is a gamer and would show out but I'll believe it when I see it and I hope I don't have to see it.

That being said even post-Lamson injury this is easily the happiest we can be about the QB room since Dungey SR year.

Your last sentence is exactly the same thing I said. We have better depth and talent in the QB room, so an injury isn't a death knell the way it has been in recent years.

Beyond that, who knows. I'd prefer that Shrader take every snap. But at least we won't be marching out walk ons, like we had to behind Dungey and in 2020.

Not sure HIPAA applies here - it only covers health insurance companies, clearing houses, and medical providers, plus their business associates. No expert, but I don't think the training room of the SUAD would be considered a medical provider.

Also, not sure to what degree of privacy Lamson can expect. I can easily go on the website and obtain his height, weight, major, names of his parents, and his high school.
It does. That said, I doubt that the lag-time/delay on the news getting shared formally was Lamson's doing. You'll notice that SU did not comment on the story which was gathered by the P-S through various sources.

Too bad - was looking forward to seeing him some in a backup role this year. Hope he recovers quickly.

It does. That said, I doubt that the lag-time/delay on the news getting shared formally was Lamson's doing. You'll notice that SU did not comment on the story which was gathered by the P-S through various sources.
Does it though? I remain skeptical.

And call me cynical, but I feel SU's no comment is more about Dino's desire for TEAM privacy (that is, keeping injuries secret), not individual privacy.

Heck when my sons went away to college we included a HIPPA release signed by them so we would be contacted and could have access to their medical info. So fans or the public think they should have more rights than even parents?
Does it make a difference that he is on athletic scholarship? Maybe, differentiate between "football related" and non-related to scholarship injury/illness.

Heck when my sons went away to college we included a HIPPA release signed by them so we would be contacted and could have access to their medical info. So fans or the public think they should have more rights than even parents?
Where did I say the public has the right to know?

I'm trying to navigate what the law ACTUALLY covers, not my opinion of it. And everyone has anecdotal evidence, which doesn't really ladder up to the spirit of the law.

The "indefinitely" aspect is curious. Even an ACL tear would have a prognosis for a recovery date.

??
All I'm saying is that scholarship students may be held to a different standard than "normal" students. Are they "public figures" in a sense? All of us, as American tax payers, are in essence, paying for these kids to attend Syracuse University. Should there be a certain right to know about football related injuries? Who can say.

Training room after and specifically for an injury is still medical care.

Lamson agreeing to release his height and weight and other bio facts is not a blanket release on all other info.

I think the expecations were less about the spring game and more about what insiders were hearing about how coaches were excited about his work on the scout team. If he showed well against our 1st team defense in practice last year, that's promising.
For sure. He’s developing well and hopefully will heal up and continue to do so.

I feel confident Morgan can come in and not turn the ball over. He fights for positive yardage, and has a decent arm. Our QB room is still adequate imo but wouldn’t mind the Chance Amie rumor to come to fruition.

Jacobian’s not a bad option.

Losing the year is going to make it easier for Sellers to jump him.
In the end I’m a Syracuse Orange fan, and if that happens it must mean Sellers is a very good college QB.

I wish Lamson a full recovery and great career with the Orange.

I just want some wins and a pass game to complement Mr. Tucker

Where did I say the public has the right to know?

I'm trying to navigate what the law ACTUALLY covers, not my opinion of it. And everyone has anecdotal evidence, which doesn't really ladder up to the spirit of the law.

It's probably very very likely protected by FERPA (applies to student records with personally identifiable information), not HIPAA. Either way, he'd have to consent to the release/disclosure.

What's to stop a reporter from calling him directly for information?

This needs more juice-I'm ready to start the rumor that Shrader got nervous after the Spring game and had someone Tonya Harding him. Who's with me?

Just kidding-Justin, rooting for you to have a full recovery and come back stronger than ever!

Last edited:
Explains the Chance Amie tweet, deleted tweet.

I have to give the staff credit, they are pretty good at keeping things under wraps in the age of everyone knowing everything about everyone else.

Oh yeah, and it's true what they say. We can't have nice things.
Is Chance coming?

His status seems to have gone radio silent.

Any insider knowledge?

While a generally do not regret not going to law school, I wish I had for the sake of parsing issues like this.
When a student has a medical issue that is diagnosed or treated by a college run program (wellness center, COVID testing, athletic department trainers & med staff) all information regarding that issue is covered by HIPAA. The college is by definition a health care provider.

Oh no!! Terrible news, wishing the best for Justin, he'll come back stronger. That arm is a thing of beauty so I'm sad we're gonna miss it this year. Brutal, feel for the kid, get well soon..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom