Larranaga Wants Public Disclosure of NIL Deals | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Larranaga Wants Public Disclosure of NIL Deals

look at the final 4 right now...It's actually a breathe of fresh air when it's not just UK, KU and UNC always there. The portal and NIL have helped that. Kids are staying longer and moving to scenarios (especially a tier below) for playing time. I think all of it is refreshing tbh

The argument that this will create 25 or so teams that will hog up all the top talent is ridiculous. If anything that was the problem prior to NIL. That's why there are "bluebloods".

The argument that this will create 25 or so teams that will hog up all the top talent is ridiculous. If anything that was the problem prior to NIL. That's why there are "bluebloods".
and I always believe playing time will trump NIL, blueblood-ness and other factors. If kids aren't getting playing time, they will leave and go somewhere else. And that's happening

It will still create a pro like environment as programs settle in. Some will recruit or "draft" and others will use the portal like free agency. That's not overall a bad thing but it will likely go through its own periods of where parity has its peaks and valleys.

I'm also not sure I get the Miami sugar daddy NIL disrupting things or whatever. Miami was a 5 seed this year. They were pretty good. They weren't this dominant powerhouse. They were also on the verge of being knocked out in round 1 before they pulled it together. A 5 seed making the FF is an example of how NIL is going to ruin parity?

Plus, like, when I was a kid Duke made the FF every season. When my dad was a kid, UCLA won 7 national titles in a row. Doing no research at all, it would seem to me the last decade or whatever has seen more parity (however you want to determine it) in terms of FF participants and winners than most periods in the past.

I'm also not sure I get the Miami sugar daddy NIL disrupting things or whatever. Miami was a 5 seed this year. They were pretty good. They weren't this dominant powerhouse. They were also on the verge of being knocked out in round 1 before they pulled it together. A 5 seed making the FF is an example of how NIL is going to ruin parity?

Plus, like, when I was a kid Duke made the FF every season. When my dad was a kid, UCLA won 7 national titles in a row. Doing no research at all, it would seem to me the last decade or whatever has seen more parity (however you want to determine it) in terms of FF participants and winners than most periods in the past.
And ffs the lack of parity cannot get any worse for college football. About 5 schools can compete for the title on that side.

It will still create a pro like environment as programs settle in. Some will recruit or "draft" and others will use the portal like free agency. That's not overall a bad thing but it will likely go through its own periods of where parity has its peaks and valleys.
Perhaps it's too early to tell what will happen, but it seems to me that schools with the wealthiest alumni have the upper hand. I think more kids than not will elect to go where the money is. I think it's a very unbalanced situation. Too much ego involved on the alumni side.

Sure, I'd be very interested to know what Miami paid for their team. JB thought they bought a team lol

Perhaps it's too early to tell what will happen, but it seems to me that schools with the wealthiest alumni have the upper hand. I think more kids than not will elect to go where the money is. I think it's a very unbalanced situation. Too much ego involved on the alumni side.

Well, that would probably be every Ivy Team, lol. I suspect they have the richest alumni on average.

Larranaga is 100% right. The best way to handle these new dynamics is to get everything out in the open. Complete and total transparency.

There's no reason not to do that, aside from bad actors wanting to obscure their bad actions.

And which billionaire sugar daddy put SDSU and FAU in their first ever final 4?
I didn't mention those schools in my text.
It's well known who is funding Miami's teams.
If you're that curious, I'm sure an online search will be helpful.

Larranaga is 100% right. The best way to handle these new dynamics is to get everything out in the open. Complete and total transparency.

There's no reason not to do that, aside from bad actors wanting to obscure their bad actions.
As long as Nike is forced to list what they pay the Zions of the world to go to Duke then I am all for it!

Last edited:
I didn't mention those schools in my text.
It's well known who is funding Miami's teams.
If you're that curious, I'm sure an online search will be helpful.
Thanks for totally misunderstanding my point. Everyone knows that Miami has a billionaire that's heavily involved in their NIL deals, but that doesn't mean that's the reason they are in the final four. If it was, then explain how the other teams, with no known billionaire funding large NIL programs got to the final four.

Sorry, don't agree. Contracts are not public information. Would you want all contracts to be public information?

He very well could have, but they also have a really good coach.
Yes, they have a good coach and without NIL they don't have Pack and who knows if Wong stays in school.
I think NIL is great and may reduce the number of 1 and dones. I miss the days when players stayed in school for 3 and 4 years.

Thanks for totally misunderstanding my point. Everyone knows that Miami has a billionaire that's heavily involved in their NIL deals, but that doesn't mean that's the reason they are in the final four. If it was, then explain how the other teams, with no known billionaire funding large NIL programs got to the final four.
Are you saying that the other schools players are not receiving NIL money?

Regardless, it would appear there will be an ever-upward spiral of cashflow.

And, by the way, on 60 Minutes last night Charles Barkley said he foresees a college basketball scenario soon with 25 teams able to "afford" top players and the other schools on the sidelines.

Coach, great idea! Too bad you didn’t share it with your school women’s program which was flagged by the NCAA for a violation of the NIL!​

Pre NIL we were one of those teams that hogged up talent.

Pre NIL we were one of those teams that hogged up talent.
The transfer portal has also affected teams ability to hoard talent. It would be hard to have a team with depth like we had in 2012 today.

Triche and Waiters are both on record they would have transferred with no sit out rule per Devendorfs podcast. They were our second and third leading scorers that season. Have to think Southerland likely would have been gone too.

Sorry, don't agree. Contracts are not public information. Would you want all contracts to be public information?
Here's the problem: It's clear--although it's obviously a violation of the rules (whatever they are)--schools coordinate with the Ruizes and Weitsmans. If the schools involved are public institutions, then that information should be available to the people who pay taxes to support those schools.

I'm saying a billionaire is NOT the reason a 5-seed is in the Final Four.
Do they make it without Wong and Pack? Because NIL is the reason they are in Coral Gables. And Ornier is probably getting a decent deal also.

These old guys that hate NIL are "old man on the porch" because they didn't have the same opportunity.

I've yet to see any negative for NIL.
Paying income tax vs under the table payments that all sides have a reason to hide. (That’s all I’ve got, and it’s only from the position of the player and the families.)