Larry Fedora losing his mind? | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Larry Fedora losing his mind?

i sat around for hours watching idiots in my frat playing video games in the 90s...dip in hand, beer, waiting my turn to play NHL Hockey, College Football, Madden, etc.

everyone needs to get a life thinking this is a new phenomenon. It's just packaged so much better now and i wish i was a kid.

Yeah I did the same thing. I've loved video games ever since I got my first Nintendo when I was 7 years old. You know what the worst part about playing video games with a group of friends was? Sitting there like a dumb-A watching other people play while you picked your nose.

And I'm not sure that you understand basic context clues. I was obviously talking about the subscribers. Those executives I'm sure aren't just feeling generous and paying out of their own pockets.

Not surprisingly, 70% of eSports viewers in the US are 34 or younger. Although I am a little surprised that 35% are in the 25-34 range. My gut tells me that the majority of that group are under 30. I'm 33 and have exactly zero friends that have ever watched more than 5 minutes of an eSports telecast.

U.S. eSports viewer age 2016 | Statistic

It's been slow and seems to be almost a niche sport with rabid fans in random cities. If you want to use the word "nation" then maybe you should go look at the ratings the World Cup got this year compared to 4 years ago if you think there is some major growth. They were down, a lot. And not just the early rounds because of a lack of the US, even the final was down a tremendous amount.

In fairness, WC ‘14 was held in the Western Hemisphere allowing for later start times in the U.S.

Games during the week this summer were finished before most people arrived home from work.

And I'm not sure that you understand basic context clues. I was obviously talking about the subscribers. Those executives I'm sure aren't just feeling generous and paying out of their own pockets.

YouTube and Twitch don't charge viewers to subscribe.

lol HuffPost
So, I guess the WSJ source it uses showing youth soccer participation to be double that of FB is of no interest.
FB is on its way to second place.
Anecdotally, just met a women here in Clemson with her 2 boys. He husband played FB, he didn't want his to boys to play FB. They play soccer.

FWIW, participation in youth sports is cratering across the board. A few random sports may be up, but overall we are seeing the lowest levels of participation in a generation.

And a huuuuuuuge factor of that decline is socio-economic.

The participation rates for kids in affluent homes have generally held up, but in middle-to-lower income homes the rates are tanking.

Like others have said, the insane approach to youth sports is causing millions of kids to abandon playing when they hit 10-12 years old. One needs to play year-round on expensive club teams to continue their "careers" at that point.

Only in America could we turn SOCCER into a sport that requires it's young players to come from rich households.

*edit* As an aside, this dynamic is one of the reasons why I get so angry when adults complain about "kids these days". Really? Adults design smartphones and apps specifically for the purpose of making them addictive, then we put them in the hands of our pre-teens and blast them for exhibiting the behavior we wanted. Adults make youth sports toxic, behaving like lunatics by screaming at coaches, refs and players. Then we make them absurdly pay-to-play. And we have the gall to bemoan that kids don't participate like they used to?! It's infuriating. We literally cause all these things and then blame the very kids we screwed up.
Re: "participation cratering"--

Anecdotal--my nephew played HS baseball this spring. The participation numbers were down to the extent that there was no JV team. I assumed it was due, at least in part, to an uptick in lacrosse numbers (this is a legacy [1930's!!] lacrosse town). But no, lax participation was down, too.

Exemplary of the movement away from physical activity in the country generally, and amongst youth specifically, that threatens to weaken this country. We don't necessarily need football (sorry, Coach Fedora) to counteract this negative trend. But sitting in front of a computer screen and calling for grandma to bring another grape soda is no longer a caricature.

Last edited:
Although I’m glad Rupert took a big hit financially, it’s really not valid to compare this year’s ratings with 4 years ago because the US wasn’t in it this year. Everyone knew even before the tournament began that would smash the ratings really hard.

The rating in 2022 are going to be worse. November/December and going up against NFL, college football, NHL, NBA and college basketball. That’s going to be rough.

Anecdotal--my nephew played HS baseball this spring. The participation numbers were down to the extent that there was no JV team. I assumed it was due, at least in part, to an uptick in lacrosse numbers (this is a legacy [1930's!!] lacrosse town). But no, lax participation was down, too.

Exemplary of the movement away from physical activity in the country generally, and amongst youth specifically, that threatens to weaken this country. We don't necessarily need football (sorry, Coach Fedora) to counteract this negative trend. But sitting in front of a computer screen and calling for grandma to bring another grape soda is no longer a caricature.

Like your point. Lax is stealing kids away from baseball in numbers. Its apparent. My neice ans nephew have a device in every corner of the house, so yes, on a tangent, kids are less active and simply not spending the day active in a field getting together a number of kids to play some hoops or baseball. I work in thecardiovascular field and see the obesity rate of our kids. I could go on about this for days;)

To me this is interesting. I think video games in 80s/early 90s were still “nerdy” and not for everyone. Everyone plays now.

The participation numbers in my area of south shore Boston are up. I wonder if it’s a thing where kids are working earlier because they saw the impact of the recession and aren’t playing sports

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom