Larry Fedora losing his mind? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Larry Fedora losing his mind?

To each there own.

Kitten.jpg

To be fair, in 1994 there was no top level soccer league in the US, this past weekend we had an MLS game with over 70K in attendance. The evidence of the progress of the popularity and marketability of the sport in this nation is obviously there if you even try to look.

It's been slow and seems to be almost a niche sport with rabid fans in random cities. If you want to use the word "nation" then maybe you should go look at the ratings the World Cup got this year compared to 4 years ago if you think there is some major growth. They were down, a lot. And not just the early rounds because of a lack of the US, even the final was down a tremendous amount.

I go absolutely nuts when I see my step-kids watching videos of other people playing video games. It's the most nonsensical thing that I've seen from the 12 and under generation.

My adult brother in law plays online video games and people pay to watch him. He only makes like 60$ a month...but to me thats a lot of free Busch Light. I still dont get it.

It's been slow and seems to be almost a niche sport with rabid fans in random cities. If you want to use the word "nation" then maybe you should go look at the ratings the World Cup got this year compared to 4 years ago if you think there is some major growth. They were down, a lot. And not just the early rounds because of a lack of the US, even the final was down a tremendous amount.

I mean one of the teams was Croatia.

My adult brother in law plays online video games and people pay to watch him. He only makes like 60$ a month...but to me thats a lot of free Busch Light. I still dont get it.

Watching other people lay video games is absurd to begin with, paying to do so is ludicrous. I guess we pay to watch other people play sports so maybe we're idiots too.

FWIW, participation in youth sports is cratering across the board. A few random sports may be up, but overall we are seeing the lowest levels of participation in a generation.

And a huuuuuuuge factor of that decline is socio-economic.

The participation rates for kids in affluent homes have generally held up, but in middle-to-lower income homes the rates are tanking.

Like others have said, the insane approach to youth sports is causing millions of kids to abandon playing when they hit 10-12 years old. One needs to play year-round on expensive club teams to continue their "careers" at that point.

Only in America could we turn SOCCER into a sport that requires it's young players to come from rich households.

*edit* As an aside, this dynamic is one of the reasons why I get so angry when adults complain about "kids these days". Really? Adults design smartphones and apps specifically for the purpose of making them addictive, then we put them in the hands of our pre-teens and blast them for exhibiting the behavior we wanted. Adults make youth sports toxic, behaving like lunatics by screaming at coaches, refs and players. Then we make them absurdly pay-to-play. And we have the gall to bemoan that kids don't participate like they used to?! It's infuriating. We literally cause all these things and then blame the very kids we screwed up.

Last edited:
I go absolutely nuts when I see my step-kids watching videos of other people playing video games. It's the most nonsensical thing that I've seen from the 12 and under generation.

Why?

Is it any more nonsensical than old men watching 18 year-olds in college play basketball?

Or watching guys in terrible clothes play golf?

At least in watching video games the kids are learning skills on how to play better themselves. I sure as hell ain't going to be a QB anytime in my future, so what point is there in watching Dungey throw a ball?

Why?

Is it any more nonsensical than old men watching 18 year-olds in college play basketball?

At least in watching video games the kids are learning skills on how to play better themselves. I sure as hell ain't going to be a QB anytime in my future, so what point is there in watching Dungey throw a ball?

In a word, Yes.

Never thought about the 'why' but here goes:

1) It's watching, not doing. And that's lame. (Yeah, the same could be said for sports.)
2) It's a worthless activity that doesn't offer opportunities to appreciate excellence. (That's where it differs from sports.)

I guess I don't 'get' video games. I think it's also silly to watch people playing cards (though I kind of like playing cards) and bowl (which I don't participate in but I don't mind, either). And the other night when the All Star game started, ESPN aired some weird competition cornhole broadcast. That falls into that category as well.

I don't watch golf, but I get why people do. It's fun to watch professionals attempting excellence, and it's also instructional for those who golf on their own.

OK, old man. I'll get off your lawn now.

Only in early 30s. Its such a beta weak thing that I can't wrap my head around it.

FWIW, participation in youth sports is cratering across the board. A few random sports may be up, but overall we are seeing the lowest levels of participation in a generation.

And a huuuuuuuge factor of that decline is socio-economic.

The participation rates for kids in affluent homes have generally held up, but in middle-to-lower income homes the rates are tanking.

Like others have said, the insane approach to youth sports is causing millions of kids to abandon playing when they hit 10-12 years old. One needs to play year-round on expensive club teams to continue their "careers" at that point.

Only in America could we turn SOCCER into a sport that requires it's young players to come from rich households.
It's sad that kids think that all sports have to played in an organized manner. I never played "youth sports" but I was constantly playing sports. We need to get back to where kids just get together to play. Find a field or court, get some friends together, and play ball. No refs, no parents, and nobody worrying about a career.

Why?

The idea of watching actual sports is that you're impressed by the god given physical abilities that only a few have.

Video games are about pretending to be or do something you can't do in real life. Watching somebody excel at that is not the same.

i sat around for hours watching idiots in my frat playing video games in the 90s...dip in hand, beer, waiting my turn to play NHL Hockey, College Football, Madden, etc.

everyone needs to get a life thinking this is a new phenomenon. It's just packaged so much better now and i wish i was a kid.

We were told. by many on this board no less, that from the 2014 World Cup that in 10 year's time Soccer would overtake football. We are going into year 5 of that prediction and it's not close to true yet.

wasn't the same thing said after USA hosted in 1994 and also in the 70's when Pele played in a US league?
On the other hand I do think the shortening of attention spans works to soccer's advantage. Running clock, you're out in a shade under 2 hours.

i sat around for hours watching idiots in my frat playing video games in the 90s...dip in hand, beer, waiting my turn to play NHL Hockey, College Football, Madden, etc.

everyone needs to get a life thinking this is a new phenomenon. It's just packaged so much better now and i wish i was a kid.

Yeah, drinking beers and calling winner. How god damn stupid would it have been to give your friends 10 bucks to just sit there and watch them without knowing you were up next instead?

wasn't the same thing said after USA hosted in 1994 and also in the 70's when Pele played in a US league?
On the other hand I do think the shortening of attention spans works to soccer's advantage. Running clock, you're out in a shade under 2 hours.

The 2 hour timeframe is a huge benefit. Same thing F1 has over Nascar.

Yeah, drinking beers and calling winner. How god damn stupid would it have been to give your friends 10 bucks to just sit there and watch them without knowing you were up next instead?

it's evolution of the "sitting around and doing nothing" dynamic. My kids play fortnight all the time and are actually socializing w their friends versus me who sat in his room playing the computer in 10 yard fight on NES like a nerd. Or if i was feeling really good, would try and complete Bionic Commando or Contra.

It's all the same crap and i love it.

The 2 hour timeframe is a huge benefit. Same thing F1 has over Nascar.
That and faster more sophisticated cars that turn right. Still, NASCAR is more popular here simply because it's about the party and the carnage of a good wreck. Speaking of NASCAR, remember when they were the fastest growing spectator sport?

That and faster more sophisticated cars that turn right. Still, NASCAR is more popular here simply because it's about the party and the carnage of a good wreck. Speaking of NASCAR, remember when they were the fastest growing spectator sport?

That hit a brick wall. Now its to the point that its hard for even the bigger names to be able to pull in full sponsorship for a year.

The idea of watching actual sports is that you're impressed by the god given physical abilities that only a few have.

Video games are about pretending to be or do something you can't do in real life. Watching somebody excel at that is not the same.

Soooo, like watching a movie or TV show?

People are dopes for watching The Sopranos because they can't be a Jersey mob boss in real life.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom