Larry Fedora losing his mind? | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Larry Fedora losing his mind?

It's been slow and seems to be almost a niche sport with rabid fans in random cities. If you want to use the word "nation" then maybe you should go look at the ratings the World Cup got this year compared to 4 years ago if you think there is some major growth. They were down, a lot. And not just the early rounds because of a lack of the US, even the final was down a tremendous amount.

Are you going to cherry pick one stat and ignore all the others? What about EPL, Bundesliga and Liga Mex ratings? MLS attendance and capital investments? Heck just the volume of people talking about the games on these boards?

If you don’t see the growth it’s because of a bias.

Soooo, like watching a movie or TV show?

People are dopes for watching The Sopranos because they can't be a Jersey mob boss in real life.
Nope. Watching movies and television shows, or stage shows for that matter, are about watching performance art, seeing a story unfold. That's not the same as paying to root for team "haven't seen the light of day in years" against team "mom we need more grape soda in the basement."

Playing the story form of a video game is more akin to watching a movie. These are team versus team competitions.

That hit a brick wall. Now its to the point that its hard for even the bigger names to be able to pull in full sponsorship for a year.
My favorite racing to watch was WRC, but I can't find it anymore.

Nope. Watching movies and television shows, or stage shows for that matter, are about watching performance art, seeing a story unfold. That's not the same as paying to root for team "haven't seen the light of day in years" against team "mom we need more grape soda in the basement."

Playing the story form of a video game is more akin to watching a movie. These are team versus team competitions.

Guy posting on message board makes fun of guys playing video games.

Delicious.

Never thought about the 'why' but here goes:

1) It's watching, not doing. And that's lame. (Yeah, the same could be said for sports.)
2) It's a worthless activity that doesn't offer opportunities to appreciate excellence. (That's where it differs from sports.)

I guess I don't 'get' video games. I think it's also silly to watch people playing cards (though I kind of like playing cards) and bowl (which I don't participate in but I don't mind, either). And the other night when the All Star game started, ESPN aired some weird competition cornhole broadcast. That falls into that category as well.

I don't watch golf, but I get why people do. It's fun to watch professionals attempting excellence, and it's also instructional for those who golf on their own.

I'm sure that anyone who watches eSports would tell you that it absolutely is about appreciating excellence. The players are much, much, much better than a rando playing the game. Much like how the guys playing the last table in the World Series of Poker are much, much, much better than the dudes playing in someone's basement on a Friday night.

I just can't wrap my head around how this isn't a "to each their own" thing. I know a lot of people who think a grown man spending his weekends watching millionaires play football is utterly worthless. But if someone gets entertainment from something, who's to judge?

I'm sure that anyone who watches eSports would tell you that it absolutely is about appreciating excellence. The players are much, much, much better than a rando playing the game. Much like how the guys playing the last table in the World Series of Poker are much, much, much better than the dudes playing in someone's basement on a Friday night.

I just can't wrap my head around how this isn't a "to each their own" thing. I know a lot of people who think a grown man spending his weekends watching millionaires play football is utterly worthless. But if someone gets entertainment from something, who's to judge?
I occasionally watch others play video games, to your point I only watch those more skilled than myself. If I had to watch someone with my skill level or worse, I’d gouge my eyes out.

Guy posting on message board makes fun of guys playing video games.

Delicious.
You missed the point entirely. I never picked an anyone for simply playing video games. I like playing video games and do it from time to time, certainly not nearly as much as I did when i was single. I pick on people that devote their lives to it at the expense of real life, believe it or not it's a growing psychological condition, and pick on the people that pay to watch them.

I don't know that it's really a to each his own type thing. Don't really seeing anyone my age(early 30s) or anyone that I know being interested in such things. It's the youngest generation that is still middle/high school that it seems to be extremely prevalent. Its the same group that is very low in participation in playing actual sports. Same damn kids watching YouTube videos to learn how to do the Floss and then proceed to do it any time that they are standing. (Yes I have 2 step-sons that are 9 and 11). It drives me nuts that they literally can't stand still in a store or anywhere without doing that crap and I see most other kids at the grocery store or wherever doing the same damn thing. Just glad that mine play hockey year round while also playing flag football at this point, their actual father is blocking tackle football thus far as if hockey is any less dangerous.

I'm just still confused how this even became a thing. Having to watch others play video games was a punishment for losing and getting booted out of your seat.

I don't know that it's really a to each his own type thing. Don't really seeing anyone my age(early 30s) or anyone that I know being interested in such things. It's the youngest generation that is still middle/high school that it seems to be extremely prevalent. Its the same group that is very low in participation in playing actual sports. Same damn kids watching YouTube videos to learn how to do the Floss and then proceed to do it any time that they are standing. (Yes I have 2 step-sons that are 9 and 11). It drives me nuts that they literally can't stand still in a store or anywhere without doing that crap and I see most other kids at the grocery store or wherever doing the same damn thing. Just glad that mine play hockey year round while also playing flag football at this point, their actual father is blocking tackle football thus far as if hockey is any less dangerous.

I'm just still confused how this even became a thing. Having to watch others play video games was a punishment for losing and getting booted out of your seat.

OK.

Ninja (streamer) - Wikipedia

Age 27.

Same as Kyrie Irving.

No one pays per say to watch people play video games. But there are live streaming platforms that allow people to watch. Anyone can stream themselves playing and the elite players draw thousands and sometimes hundreds of thousands of viewers at any given time. The streaming platforms offer payment based on viewership as it gives them data to support ad revenue and they are competing for the most elite players. If that doesn't illustrate that there is something approaching a display of human excellence involved, I don't know what to say to you. But to further push in the knife, wrap your head around this: those nerds you see playing video games are making stupid amounts of money. One of the top Fortnite players just revealed that his monthly revenue from streaming has averaged $500,000 a month for the last 6 months. And that is a separate source of income from the prize pools offered at major tournaments. The most recent Dota 2 international championship saw a total prize pool of $24.6 million with the winning team claiming a championship purse of $10.8 million. So yeah, scream at your kids when you see them playing video games. Totally worthless and morally bankrupt endeavor.

No one pays per say to watch people play video games. But there are live streaming platforms that allow people to watch. Anyone can stream themselves playing and the elite players draw thousands and sometimes hundreds of thousands of viewers at any given time. The streaming platforms offer payment based on viewership as it gives them data to support ad revenue and they are competing for the most elite players. If that doesn't illustrate that there is something approaching a display of human excellence involved, I don't know what to say to you. But to further push in the knife, wrap your head around this: those nerds you see playing video games are making stupid amounts of money. One of the top Fortnite players just revealed that his monthly revenue from streaming has averaged $500,000 a month for the last 6 months. And that is a separate source of income from the prize pools offered at major tournaments. The most recent Dota 2 international championship saw a total prize pool of $24.6 million with the winning team claiming a championship purse of $10.8 million. So yeah, scream at your kids when you see them playing video games. Totally worthless and morally bankrupt endeavor.

Yeah because playing and watching video games is better for kids then getting them outside and playing sports. Whatever redeeming qualities that can be gained by playing games can be gained tenfold by actually interacting with humans face to face. Kids sitting inside and becoming fat and lazy by like 10 is prevalent and gross these days. Parenting obviously being the main issue there.

Been hearing this since the World Cup was in the US in what '94?

As well you should. Since 1994 no team sport has grown more than soccer. When somebody states that they think soccer will one day surpass football in popularity, they don't mean within 1 or 2 or 10 years. To imply it won't happen because it hasn't happened in 24 years is pretty short sighted. The emergence of a new sport is a slow progression of one sport, and a slow regression of another sport. So many young people play soccer now,
and in 50 years when today's kids and teens and young adults, all of whom grew up in a time where soccer was the game to play, are all 1-70 years old, they'll be demanding more soccer.
I doubt it will happen in my lifetime, but obviously, at some point, like any other #1 sport, Football will be knocked down a peg or 2 or 3.
I doubt that in the 1880's, horse racing fans could fathom boxing becoming more popular. I'll be it the 1920's, boxing fans scoffed at the idea that baseball could surpass the sweet science. I'll bet that in the 50's baseball fans laughed at the idea that a sport played with a weird shaped pig skin would take over baseball.

A few people making obscene amounts of money won't make me encourage my kids to devote the hours these kids are on the hope they'll get good enough to get paid. Especially given all of the cons to excessive screen time multiple studies are revealing. I would rather my kids spend most of their time getting healthy physical activity with smaller supplemental doses of something involving screen time. And hopefully they'll make their living contributing to society by making something, fixing something, providing a worthwhile service etc.

It's been slow and seems to be almost a niche sport with rabid fans in random cities. If you want to use the word "nation" then maybe you should go look at the ratings the World Cup got this year compared to 4 years ago if you think there is some major growth. They were down, a lot. And not just the early rounds because of a lack of the US, even the final was down a tremendous amount.
Although I’m glad Rupert took a big hit financially, it’s really not valid to compare this year’s ratings with 4 years ago because the US wasn’t in it this year. Everyone knew even before the tournament began that would smash the ratings really hard.

It’s not the concussions, it’s the subconcussive hits that football players take on every play.

I get that. When you really analyze it and look at the physiology, its rhe hits that a player doesn't see coming that have the impact and create contact between brain tissue and the skull. Bigger hits may happen but when a player sees a Collison coming neck muscles are appropriated to stabilize the head and skull avoiding the whip action inducing concussion. There are thousands of players pro and college that are razor sharp cognitively.

Although I’m glad Rupert took a big hit financially, it’s really not valid to compare this year’s ratings with 4 years ago because the US wasn’t in it this year. Everyone knew even before the tournament began that would smash the ratings really hard.

Exclude the USMNT games from 2014 and this year’s Cup ratings were up. And that’s with a big decline in the final game due to a less compelling matchup and a much earlier start time.

7 years younger than me and thats the guy making the money. Now show me the age breakdowns of the turds paying him.

The “turds paying him” are the middle age executives at Twitch and YouTube. And the middle age executives at the companies that sponsor him.

I’m not sure you understand how this actually works.

You're right, with regards to entertainment, it is a "to each their own" thing. I'll, personnally, never understand being entertained by watching people excel at moving their fingers better than other people and I'll continue to mock it. I'm sure you've never mocked anything or anyone before.

The “turds paying him” are the middle age executives at Twitch and YouTube. And the middle age executives at the companies that sponsor him.

I’m not sure you understand how this actually works.

And I'm not sure that you understand basic context clues. I was obviously talking about the subscribers. Those executives I'm sure aren't just feeling generous and paying out of their own pockets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom