Last time Syracuse got a 5 star | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Last time Syracuse got a 5 star

A much less fun list that would have a bunch of names would be a list of 4 star guys who committed and either A. never made it to campus, B. got kicked out of school before contributing, C. Never lived up to their 4* ranking.

Averin Collier, Lavar Lobdell, Jermaine Pierce, Jonny Miller?, AJ Long, Alin Edouard. Who am I missing...

Marcus Sales was a 4 star - got kicked out for a bit. Andre Baskin, Romale Tucker, Wayne Morgan...

i think he went 18-47 passing for his whole senior year in high school. it was a hundred years ago but I think i have that right

shockingly, he never developed into a passer here!

Yeah I never really understood where those rankings came from. It was like Lemming somehow fell in love with him (maybe he went to his best passing game, who knows) and then all these others services just ranked him high because Lemming did.

Skowt and Rovals have only been rating recruits since the 02 class. None since then. I'm not sure there were any "star ratings" before skowt and rovals. There are many players that people assume would have been 5 star guys, like Marvin Harrison, or Konrad, but seeing as how there are only about 30-35 5 star guys per year, and there are about 8-10 schools out of 120 schools that land them all, I'm not sure we've ever gotten anyone that was the equivalent of a skowt/roval 5 star, when signed. We've had guys that performed like 5 stars once in college though. They tend to all go to football factories. We've never been a football factory.
There used to be magazines that named there "All Americans" like Parade. However, unless you know what their grading criteria consisted of, you can't compare it skowt or rovals. I don't think we can assume a parade all american was a 5 star recruit, simply because there were guys on Parade All American teams that didn't play at D1 schools. That leads me to think that the parade all americans were just the guys who put up the most eye popping numbers, regardless if they had offers from Ohio State, or Monmouth.
The only Parade/USA Today All Americans we have had were

Matt Neenan 1989
Scott Freeney 1991
Dulayne Morgan 1992

I've read from poster on here that Harrison, Konrad, and Mcnabb all were parade all americans, but a quick google search or the parade and usa today all american teams will show you they were not.

According to this site: Tennessee Prep Football Database - Parade All-Americans By State (only goes through 2013)

Curtis Brinkley was a Parade All American in 2003

Tennessee Prep Football Database - Parade All-Americans By State

Johnnie Morant was a Parade All American in 1999 and Quinton Spotwood in 1995

Ian McIntosh was a Parade All American in 1995

Rob Konrad in 1994

Donvan McNabb in 1993

And for some fun Trivia, Lawrence Moten was one in 1989

There are more former SU recruits/players, I just don't feel like looking.

According to this site: Tennessee Prep Football Database - Parade All-Americans By State (only goes through 2013)

Curtis Brinkley was a Parade All American in 2003

Johnnie Morant was a Parade All American in 1999 and Quinton Spotwood in 1995

Ian McIntosh was a Parade All American in 1995

Rob Konrad in 1994

Donvan McNabb in 1993

And for some fun Trivia, Lawrence Moten was one in 1989

There are more former SU recruits/players, I just don't feel like looking.
hmmmm. I googled parade all americans and looked at the rosters on wiki. Didn't see them there. Perhaps they were not all first team? The ones I mentioned were first team.

hmmmm. I googled parade all americans and looked at the rosters on wiki. Didn't see them there. Perhaps they were not all first team? The ones I mentioned were first team.

You're probably right. I don't think they were first team is what it is. From what I could tell Parade does a first team and an honorable mention list and the total between the two is about 60 players. So those guys were likely on the HM list.

9 of the top 10 in the 2018 Rivals 100 are playing in the Army AA game.

Havent seen which games the kids are in this year. Just logged back in to let you know that Rivals is a joke when it comes to recruit rankings

weren't the mcintosh brothers ian and kyle highly recruited ? i seem to remember beating out ND for ian.
(both played at cheshire under hs coach steve addazio.)

From Morant's SU Athletics bio:

Johnnie Morant - 2003 Football

Freshman Year (2000): Played in three games (Buffalo, East Carolina, West Virginia) ... High School: Parade All-American receiver ... Rated the best receiver in the East and third in the nation by PrepStar ... Rated the No. 3 receiver and No. 24 recruit overall by Tom Lemming ... Listed as the third-best receiver by SuperPrep ... Selected for the Governor's Bowl All-State Classic New Jersey squad ... As a senior, caught 28 passes for 784 yards and 10 touchdowns ... Also played in basketball as a power forward ... Recruited by associate head coach George DeLeone.

If there were star rankings when Morant was in high school he wouldve absolutely been a 5 Star I think. he was the consensus 2nd or 3rd best WR in the country.

Skowt and Rovals have only been rating recruits since the 02 class. None since then. I'm not sure there were any "star ratings" before skowt and rovals. There are many players that people assume would have been 5 star guys, like Marvin Harrison, or Konrad, but seeing as how there are only about 30-35 5 star guys per year, and there are about 8-10 schools out of 120 schools that land them all, I'm not sure we've ever gotten anyone that was the equivalent of a skowt/roval 5 star, when signed. We've had guys that performed like 5 stars once in college though. They tend to all go to football factories. We've never been a football factory.
There used to be magazines that named there "All Americans" like Parade. However, unless you know what their grading criteria consisted of, you can't compare it skowt or rovals. I don't think we can assume a parade all american was a 5 star recruit, simply because there were guys on Parade All American teams that didn't play at D1 schools. That leads me to think that the parade all americans were just the guys who put up the most eye popping numbers, regardless if they had offers from Ohio State, or Monmouth.

Matt Neenan 1989
Scott Freeney 1991
Dulayne Morgan 1992

I've read from poster on here that Harrison, Konrad, and Mcnabb all were parade all americans, but a quick google search or the parade and usa today all american teams will show you they were not.
I believe Morant was considered the top WR east of the Mississippi. He was wanted by every big program and there was national coverage on his choice. I believe he would have been five stars.

Matt Neenan 1989
Scott Freeney 1991
Dulayne Morgan 1992

i used to love when Pasqualoni would call Dwight Freeney Scott in interviews.

Yeah I never really understood where those rankings came from. It was like Lemming somehow fell in love with him (maybe he went to his best passing game, who knows) and then all these others services just ranked him high because
Lemming did.
He definitely had some legit offers Nebraska for one

Matt Neenan 1989
Scott Freeney 1991
Dulayne Morgan 1992

Sporting News top senior QBs in 93-94 were:

1. Peyton Manning
2. Josh Booty
3. Scott Mutryn
4. Ryan Clement
5. Donovan McNabb

A much less fun list that would have a bunch of names would be a list of 4 star guys who committed and either A. never made it to campus, B. got kicked out of school before contributing, C. Never lived up to their 4* ranking.

Averin Collier, Lavar Lobdell, Jermaine Pierce, Jonny Miller?, AJ Long, Alin Edouard. Who am I missing...
Andre Baskin. If only he would have made it here. I believe he was 4 stars.