Latest Lunardi: Virginia #2 in the East | Syracusefan.com

Latest Lunardi: Virginia #2 in the East

Zippy1808

2nd String
Not online yet, but was just shown on ESPN.
That scenario would put us out of the East and MSG, correct?

I'm not sure but I think only the 1 and 2 in the same bracket cannot be from the same conference. I think we could still be a 3 in the East in that situation.

Yes, that would put us out of the East.

All teams on the top 4 seed lines from one specific conference must be in a different region. (unless a conference has 5 such teams which is not an issue this year)

If Virginia is in the East we need to be placed somewhere else.

The old rule was that the top 3 teams from each conference needed to be in a different region. Now its the top 4 teams, BUT it only applies to the top 4 seed lines.

top 3 from same conference in top 4 seeds can't be in same region so in that scenario we would be out of east region

Yes, that would put us out of the East.

All teams on the top 4 seed lines from one specific conference must be in a different region. (unless a conference has 5 such teams which is not an issue this year)

If Virginia is in the East we need to be placed somewhere else.
Dang, didn't know that.

top 3 from same conference in top 4 seeds can't be in same region so in that scenario we would be out of east region

Chris, its actually top 4 seeds now (but as you noted restricted to top 4 seed lines). I thought it was 3 as well, but somebody here posted a link to an NCAA press release a few weeks ago that noted the change this year was twofold

1) Top 4 instead of 3
2) Lines 1-4 Only, instead of Lines 1-16

Ratchets up the value of the ACC Tournament one extra notch, if we needed it.
Because Virginia is #1 and we are guaranteed the #2/3 seed, the only time we could meet is at the championship on Sunday.
Let's hope it gets there and we are one of those "contingencies" we always hear about for conferences that play on Selection Sunday.

There are some interesting scenarios caused by Wisconsin and Villanova possibly fighting for that number one

If Wisconsin is the East #1, and Villanova is that East #2. Virginia moves to the South as a #2, it opens the door for us as the #3 in the East. You saw that in a few brackets this morning. If Wisconsin is the #1, the ranking between Villanova, Virginia and Syracuse by the committee will be very important.

If Villanova is that #1, and Virginia is ranked above us by the committee, we are pretty much not getting into the East.

All of the brackets/scenarios I saw today do still have Georgetown eligible to play in MSG on Tuesday, April 1 and Thursday, April 3.
Anyone see anything different?

All of the brackets/scenarios I saw today do still have Georgetown eligible to play in MSG on Tuesday, April 1 and Thursday, April 3.
Anyone see anything different?

Georgetown was in 21 of 85 brackets in the bracket matrix before today.

In terms of the 21 having them in (which I agree with), I don't think losing at Nova takes them off. That being said it would have been huge in getting many of the other 64 to view them as in.

Lunardi is a moron if he thinks Duke is a 2 seed right now. They could get back their by beating UNC but their resume is closer to a 4 than a 2 right now. What sucks for us is if we beat one of BC or Georgia Tech we are in the driver'a seat now. Ignore Lunardi's seeds as he is wrong a lot because of his biases.

Wisconsin will need to win big ten champ to get 1 seed since they didn't win regular season big ten champ

So please explain how Marquette and SU were the 3 and 4 seeds in the East last year.

Ratchets up the value of the ACC Tournament one extra notch, if we needed it.
Because Virginia is #1 and we are guaranteed the #2/3 seed, the only time we could meet is at the championship on Sunday.
Let's hope it gets there and we are one of those "contingencies" we always hear about for conferences that play on Selection Sunday.

or we can root for Virginia to lose there quarterfinal game on friday

So please explain how Marquette and SU were the 3 and 4 seeds in the East last year.

last year it was top 3 that had to be in different and I think Louisville, and gtown were seeded above us and in different region

I mentioned this the other day. Because the ACC final is on Sunday afternoon, the brackets will be all completed by then. Depending on who is in the final could depend on who gets penciled in where, otherwise its a moot point. For instance, if we win tomorrow and then make our way against Virginia for the ACC championship, the winner might get the last #1 seed and the loser a #2 seed. Or they might already know they are giving it to UVA win or lose. I don't like the Sunday final. Doesn't allow a lot of wiggle room for what if's. Everything is cast in stone before the game even begins.

Alsacs said:
Lunardi is a moron if he thinks Duke is a 2 seed right now. They could get back their by beating UNC but their resume is closer to a 4 than a 2 right now. What sucks for us is if we beat one of BC or Georgia Tech we are in the driver'a seat now. Ignore Lunardi's seeds as he is wrong a lot because of his biases.

Why is duke a 2 seed by lunardi but a 4-5 seed by palm? Just curious because I have no clue about "bracketology".

Eh, no point in worrying about hypothetical seeds and matchups that won't happen made by someone who isn't on the committee. Lots of basketball still to be played.

I mentioned this the other day. Because the ACC final is on Sunday afternoon, the brackets will be all completed by then. Depending on who is in the final could depend on who gets penciled in where, otherwise its a moot point. For instance, if we win tomorrow and then make our way against Virginia for the ACC championship, the winner might get the last #1 seed and the loser a #2 seed. Or they might already know they are giving it to UVA win or lose. I don't like the Sunday final. Doesn't allow a lot of wiggle room for what if's. Everything is cast in stone before the game even begins.

that isn't true. They don't start bracketing until like 3 on sunday

I forget who, but one of the major basketball writers a week or two live tweeted the selection process over a couple of days. It was pretty cool. Anyway, the bottom line is that while yes, there is a lot decided before Sunday, there are many contingency brackets also made. A UVA-Cuse final would be one such thing. And don't forget our amazing BET run when we HAD do win the title to get in. They said the "worst case" scenario for the committee is a surprise final in one of the Sunday games -- such as Northwestern making it to the Big Ten final (which plays at.. gasp.. 3:30). So sure, things are cast in stone - but definitely not everything. Doesn't hurt to make it to Sunday - and of course win.

Georgetown, Louisville and Marquette were the top 3 teams in the Big East and had to be in different regions. Syracuse as the 4th best team could be placed in any region.

Under the new bracket rules this year (top 4 teams). Syracuse would be in a different region.

Wisconsin will need to win big ten champ to get 1 seed since they didn't win regular season big ten champ

I don't believe in the "You must win a title to get a #1 seed" theory. The 6th loss may do them in... but not the fact that would cause them to lose a title.

I don't know this stuff like you folks, but if Virginia is a #2 seed, likely why wouldn't they put them in the South Region?

that isn't true. They don't start bracketing until like 3 on sunday
They are working on it all weekend. It's just the finishing touches they put on after 3.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom