Lawrence v. Burrow | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Lawrence v. Burrow

If all 3 QBs were draft-eligible in 2020, which would you draft first?

• Lawrence

Votes: 28 31.5%
  • Burrow

Votes: 56 62.9%
  • Devito

Votes: 5 5.6%

• Total voters
LOL ok and fans do. Got it.
they gather data at PFF but "PFF uses qualitative and opinion-based grading as the root of its 0-100 Player Grades -- not its advanced statistics " "Player Grades are not truly quantitative and could be seen as being prone to bias, poor sample sizing, or other issues "

its a bias based rating system thats not really based on real facts. so 2 players doing the same thing could end up with different numbers

i you run the same play in 2 systems against the same D.

one system says read middle, deep, check down and the other says read deep, middle check down and the throw goes to the middle it gives a grade to both plays based on the success of the play. but if the middle /deep throws are both open and guy one reads it correctly and throws to middle and guy 2 reads it incorrectly and throws to the middle they get the same grade even though ones the correct throw and one isnt.

both plays worked and gained 15 yds, but one should have been a 50 yd td. it doesnt know that.

We had this issue a ton in YR one with ED in this system.

Someone did an analysis of burrows throws that are considered NFL pass plays that an NFL needs to be able to make. The result was he completed 53% of those with 5 TDs and 4 INTs.
  1. Small sample size
  2. It's more of "I want my QB to be able to make this throw" rather than it being the actual throws NFL QBs are making consistently. In actuality, the passes he was looking at represent a very small % of NFL passes and it's probably the least efficient throw a QB will make.
Having said that, I think the deep outs will be relatively tough for Burrow, much like it is for most QBs that don't have a cannon for an arm. But look at the Saints and Patriots offenses as examples of systems that spread you out and just kill you over the middle of the field and short stuff. Burrow has shown he's as prepared to do that as a rookie as basically anyone to come around in recent memory, and add on the fact that his deep ball is insanely accurate as well. There's no logical reason he should struggle in the NFL unless he just forgets how to play.

they gather data at PFF but "PFF uses qualitative and opinion-based grading as the root of its 0-100 Player Grades -- not its advanced statistics " "Player Grades are not truly quantitative and could be seen as being prone to bias, poor sample sizing, or other issues "

its a bias based rating system thats not really based on real facts. so 2 players doing the same thing could end up with different numbers

i you run the same play in 2 systems against the same D.

one system says read middle, deep, check down and the other says read deep, middle check down and the throw goes to the middle it gives a grade to both plays based on the success of the play. but if the middle /deep throws are both open and guy one reads it correctly and throws to middle and guy 2 reads it incorrectly and throws to the middle they get the same grade even though ones the correct throw and one isnt.

both plays worked and gained 15 yds, but one should have been a 50 yd td. it doesnt know that.

We had this issue a ton in YR one with ED in this system.

Russell Wilson/Lamar Jackson/Drew Brees were the top 3 QB's as of the beginning of December and Brees/Brady have been routinely in the top 5 every year and rightfully so. I don't really see much bias.

Russell Wilson/Lamar Jackson/Drew Brees were the top 3 QB's as of the beginning of December and Brees/Brady have been routinely in the top 5 every year and rightfully so. I don't really see much bias.

They're biased towards great players

The bias is that it isnt actually anything other than random people watching film and making grades bases on assumptions and eye balls.. just like WAR in baseball is random and 2 people watching the same film might come up with different numbers.

if you make nice throws for good gains to the wrong guy in the passing tree PFF doesnt know that,

much like we complain why TD doesnt throw to the open guy for a long gain but throws to the less open guy for a short gain. maybe thats the throw he is supposed to make in the progression.