LAX Action for Feb 14-18 | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

LAX Action for Feb 14-18

Agreed to an extent. Loyola has some nice pieces but there offense is a work in progress so hard to assess the Hop D especially after Towson lost to the Mount today. There definitely is talent on that Hop squad with William's, Zinn, the Fogos, Degnon, Desimone etc but they struggle to get consistency from week to week and without Epstein Epstein don't have an elite offensive player. The UNC game next Sat will be fascinating for both teams.

Its so early in the season I wouldn't be counting anyone out, especially Hopkins. They looked really bad in the middle of last season, everyone wrote them off and they went on a very impressive run, beating Maryland twice and losing to Penn State in overtime. I can easily see Epstein coming back healthy and the defense finally coming together and Hopkins being very competitive. Of course I don’t want that to happen, but so much could change. Duke is notorious for losing games at this point in the year than making the final four. Obviously Hopkins is different but they still have some very good pieces. I would be very nervous going up against them, even with Epstein out.

I was a big fan of Dylan and Derek, dont know the whole story but heard there was some heard feelings after Derek lost his starting job his Sr year and Dylan's frosh season which resulted in the transfer. The youngest Maltz is definitely a player and I would have taken him here in a second. Marylands done a pretty good job picking off SU transfers. Was glad to see us get some revenge in getting Scanlan. Maryland is clearly the class of the B10 this year along with PSU.. OSU is really missing their FOGO and everyone else got exposed today. Michigan had a terrible loss and Rutty looked lost. I'd be shocked if Marlyand and PSU arent 1-2 in the league

I don't know that Michigan's loss is really a terrible loss. Michigan is starting like 4-5 freshmen and playing a few others. Hofstra is a decent team and playing Hofstra on Long Island is usually tough. Losing 12-9 doesn't seem that bad to me. Zawada had a couple of goals. Michigan has been playing without senior midfielder Avery Myers (34 pts last season) also. I don't know what his status is.

Now Rutgers losing 15-4 to Army was pretty bad.

Buckeyes actually broke even on the face-offs against UMass (9-17). Looking at the boxscore, OSU just didn't find the net very well.

Maryland definitely has to get the defense playing better before the murderers row starting in the middle of March: UVa, at UNC, at PSU.

I don't know that Michigan's loss is really a terrible loss. Michigan is starting like 4-5 freshmen and playing a few others. Hofstra is a decent team and playing Hofstra on Long Island is usually tough. Losing 12-9 doesn't seem that bad to me. Zawada had a couple of goals. Michigan has been playing without senior midfielder Avery Myers (34 pts last season) also. I don't know what his status is.

Now Rutgers losing 15-4 to Army was pretty bad.

Buckeyes actually broke even on the face-offs against UMass (9-17). Looking at the boxscore, OSU just didn't find the net very well.

Maryland definitely has to get the defense playing better before the murderers row starting in the middle of March: UVa, at UNC, at PSU.
I know its a scrimmage but cuse absolutely obliterated Hofstra two weeks ago. I dont think they are very good and neither is Michigan. I thought their program would've taken off by know and that just hasn't been the case.

I know its a scrimmage but cuse absolutely obliterated Hofstra two weeks ago. I dont think they are very good and neither is Michigan. I thought their program would've taken off by know and that just hasn't been the case.
I don't put too much faith in scrimmage results.
I think both Hofstra and Michigan are middle of the pack teams. Michigan is a young team that has room for a lot of improvement, and if they get Myers back that would be a big plus.

2-1 with Lehigh and Maryland covering . Loss taking OSU

4.5 points to date.

UMass taking out favored OSU in Ohio makes Army trashing of Umass all the more impressive. Army gonna be a handful

so I’m 5-1 and I have 5 points?
Is your 1 loss a true loss, or was it a tie? Last year, a tie was a loss. This year, a tie is worth half a point.

Its so early in the season I wouldn't be counting anyone out, especially Hopkins. They looked really bad in the middle of last season, everyone wrote them off and they went on a very impressive run, beating Maryland twice and losing to Penn State in overtime. I can easily see Epstein coming back healthy and the defense finally coming together and Hopkins being very competitive. Of course I don’t want that to happen, but so much could change. Duke is notorious for losing games at this point in the year than making the final four. Obviously Hopkins is different but they still have some very good pieces. I would be very nervous going up against them, even with Epstein out.

Definitely not counting Hop out as they always seem to find away to do enough to make the tourney but there track record the last 5-7 years in the tourney is abysmal (worse then us by far) and to be pretty much outplayed at every position by a rebuilding Loyola Loyola team is a bad sign even with Epstein clearly not at 100%. Duke just has slow starts and then ramps it up and finds itself in the final four every year, There light years ahead of Hop the last decade +.

Tough choices. The bookies did well this week.

Penn State -8.5 (God, do I hate betting on Ped State)
Ohio State -4.5 (God, do I hate betting on OSU)
Air Force -2.5 (I don't mind rooting for an academy, but I have no idea what I'm doing. They beat Duke at Duke.)

1-2 for the week. 1 point
3-2-1 for the season. 3.5 points

3-0 last week.

1-1 with Army playing tomorrow (Marist)

4-1 w/ 1 to play.

Not gonna happen, TV wants the memorial day weekend for the final four, moving into June isnt an option at least in the near future.

I know it's never going to change so this is just small talk, ...but I think it's bad for the game and completely unnecessary. 20 years ago teams started the Season the first week of March (some schools maybe the last week of Feb.) we're talking lets say 2000. Teams were still getting in 14 games AND still having a Memorial Weekend FF. The difference is playing 1 game a week now.

Going way back teams were starting in March and maybe playing 10-12 games. Obviously now there are more games. I remember us northern teams opening our seasons in the south getting in 2 or 3 early games down there. Usually spring break time. Nobody up here had turf back then. Coyne and that was about it.

Starting Feb 15 in NY and playing outdoors in 20 degrees is just bad for the game. Basically playing 2 games a week for a few weeks would eliminate Feb games. This 1 game a week thing is stupd. Teams could play Sat/Sun, Tue/Wed. I don't understand the need to start so early in Feb.

I don't want to hear about travel schedules or conference playoffs, thats bunk because we watch hoops do it. Teams could play locally midweek. Syracuse, Albany, Cornell, Colgate, Binghamton, Hobart, Army. For Albany they could UVM, UMass, Fairfield, Yale, Quinipiac and anyone in NEngland really. These are mid week bus trip games that can be played on Weds in April or March.

Teams just playing a few more mid-week games instead of this once a week nonsense is all that is needed.

Two games a week each week especially when traveling would take away from normal studies and shift balance and focus between academics and atheletics. Likey be more wear and tear advantageous to deeper teams. Rather have kids wearing sweats and refining programming of master schedules to better incorporate weather.

Two games a week each week especially when traveling would take away from normal studies and shift balance and focus between academics and atheletics. Likey be more wear and tear advantageous to deeper teams. Rather have kids wearing sweats and refining programming of master schedules to better incorporate weather.

A). Schools used to play midweek. B) syracuse basketball team plays midweek games at Brooklyn, notre Dame, Clemson, Louisville, Pittsburgh, Boston, all mid week. Not to mention the midweek games at the carrier dome. Studies are getting done just fine.

Will post my total points on Tuesday (Army-Marist).

So far,

SU -9.5 (W)
Duke +2 (W)
SU -9.5 (W)
Duke +2 (W)
Army -5.5 (L)

2-1 this week for 2 points.

3 points total.

1-1 and pending this week with Maryland which isn't looking great.

2.5 pts total so far.

Nova 13-10, Under 8 left.

Maryland keeps playing with fire which is surprising, lot of O firepower on that team and multiple higher end D transfers. Something has seemed slightly off with them last year (losing twice to JHU) and now again this season as its not like Maryland to be constantly having to come from behind.

Is this game being televised?
No. And Live Stats is dead (stuck at 14 minutes left). Nova Twitter hasn't updated since the end of the 3rd. I got the update from MD Twitter. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom