LAX Action for Mar 10-17 | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

LAX Action for Mar 10-17

It is going to be interesting to see what happens going forward. I don't think their defense is as good as the 2 beat downs would imply. Denver's knowns did the damage.
They are missing that gibby smith guy at lsm. Haven’t seen too much of him but his stats are so bonkers he has to be elite. Don’t think he was the difference between a win and a loss though. If the next man up doesn’t cut it then that is just as significant a weakness as any for a defense. Feel like that is Cuse’s main weakness on D as well.

Georgetown was overhyped by the media surprise surprise
Strength of competition is everything in sports - statistics are constantly quoted out of context and create very misleading storylines.

A wonderful case in point is goalie data from the Maryland/Rutgers showdown and the Denver game today. Both goalies (good goalies IMO) in the MD game were well below 50% (27% and 43%) reflecting the incredible shot making by elite shooters at their best. Having watched the game, there were few if any shots they could have stopped but they are solid goalies.
GT goalie McElroy looked solid today but had a save % of 48% in his first test against a strong team in Denver. Quite a difference from his first few games when stats would suggest he was all-world. Denver goalie Thompson played well but benefitted from a surprisingly strong Denver D and had a save % of 63%.

I think the most relevant stats are those based on games within conferences. It is simply impossible to measure or compare elite players in a weaker conference with those in the ACC or BIG10. It doesn't mean that players in the weaker conferences are not as good - just that it can't be objectively measured.

Georgetown was overhyped by the media surprise surprise
Strength of competition is everything in sports - statistics are constantly quoted out of context and create very misleading storylines.

A wonderful case in point is goalie data from the Maryland/Rutgers showdown and the Denver game today. Both goalies (good goalies IMO) in the MD game were well below 50% (27% and 43%) reflecting the incredible shot making by elite shooters at their best. Having watched the game, there were few if any shots they could have stopped but they are solid goalies.
GT goalie McElroy looked solid today but had a save % of 48% in his first test against a strong team in Denver. Quite a difference from his first few games when stats would suggest he was all-world. Denver goalie Thompson played well but benefitted from a surprisingly strong Denver D and had a save % of 63%.

I think the most relevant stats are those based on games within conferences. It is simply impossible to measure or compare elite players in a weaker conference with those in the ACC or BIG10. It doesn't mean that players in the weaker conferences are not as good - just that it can't be objectively measured.
Exactly you can't say that Georgetown was not up for the game. This was their moment to prove doubters wrong and gain a critical conference win. They got beat in settled situations and it was not a hot goalie who stoned them. A big step back.

Last edited:
Exactly you can't say that Georgetown was not up for the game. This was there moment to prove doubters wrong and gain a critical conference win. They got beat in settled situations and it was not a hot goalie who stoned them. A big step back.
This was a big game for the Hoyas because of their schedule. They play Denver again and an OOC game against Loyola, but that's it for top 20 competition ( unless Villanova can beat Denver and move into rankings). Honestly I was expecting more from the Hoyas(picked them to win). Several shot clock violations and unable to handle 10 man ride in the first half. This was the Hoyas 5th game and they looked unprepared to compete.

Assuming Cuse takes care of business, ACCN/ ESPN will get their top five game next Thursday. Duke be !-or 2 in polls while Cuse should be 4 or 5

If anything, the score was flattering to the Hoyas - never really got back into the game after the 1st qtr.

Interesting question here posed by Foy. I said Rutgers because of their offense, and I think they had the better loss, but I had to really think about it.

FWIW according to posters on FanLax, Georgetown arrived in Colorado at 3 am on gameday. They were clearly not as sharp as usual. Definitely overrated coming in, but all of the would be naysayers counting them out now are overreacting even more strongly in the opposite direction. Denver is a really good team that was on the top of their game.

The Hoyas were still creating all sorts of looks, they just couldn't put shots on cage (an anomaly given this team's typically high shooting percentage the last few seasons)...they put 19/46 shots on cage (41.3%) compared to 25/40 (62.5%) for Denver. That right there is the difference in the game. I imagine the rematch in DC will be much more competitive, especially if Georgetown has Gibson Smith (best or second best pole in the country alongside Will Bowen) and Dylan Watson (leading scorer last year w/ 23 goals in 6 games) back in the lineup by then.

Interesting question here posed by Foy. I said Rutgers because of their offense, and I think they had the better loss, but I had to really think about it.

georgetown and it's not close.

FWIW according to posters on FanLax, Georgetown arrived in Colorado at 3 am on gameday. They were clearly not as sharp as usual. Definitely overrated coming in, but all of the would be naysayers counting them out now are overreacting even more strongly in the opposite direction. Denver is a really good team that was on the top of their game.

The Hoyas were still creating all sorts of looks, they just couldn't put shots on cage (an anomaly given this team's typically high shooting percentage the last few seasons)...they put 19/46 shots on cage (41.3%) compared to 25/40 (62.5%) for Denver. That right there is the difference in the game. I imagine the rematch in DC will be much more competitive, especially if Georgetown has Gibson Smith (best or second best pole in the country alongside Will Bowen) and Dylan Watson (leading scorer last year w/ 23 goals in 6 games) back in the lineup by then.
Ifs and buts, candy and nuts. I think the Denver D was much better than Georgetown (and most of us) thought. Poor shooting is often the result of defensive pressure. I'm sure Georgetown will be better the next time when the rematch happens in DC.

Had Gtown in my early season top ten based off readings and their unbeaten 20 season but now unsure .Maybe long trip. Their offense was ok, their d was consistently beat off dribble. My previous watch of Hoyas was vs Yale in 19 and their D was swiss cheese then though bulldogs were a offensive machine. that Just know defenses that are fast to slide can rule lesser offenses but get chopped up by better ones. . Marquette o is ordinary , didnt see that game but they scored 13 agaisnt Gtown despite losing 30 of 36 faceoffs then scored just 8 agaisnt Providence and 3 agaisnt ND today. Expect Rutgers to be ranked higher than Gtown this week. Think Quint leaves them where he had them nm

Ifs and buts, candy and nuts. I think the Denver D was much better than Georgetown (and most of us) thought. Poor shooting is often the result of defensive pressure. I'm sure Georgetown will be better the next time when the rematch happens in DC.
I watched the game. This was not the result of defensive pressure. Georgetown middies were beating Denver shorties cleanly off the dodge and had open looks with nobody touching them. The misses were entirely self inflicted (I suspect they were too amped and pressing).

Quint was right not to buy too much into the hype, but IMO they are still roughly a fringe top 10 team, perhaps better at full strength. I'm not sure why Rutgers is getting such a free pass. Frankly their results don't look too dissimilar from Hopkins at this point.

I watched the game. This was not the result of defensive pressure. Georgetown middies were beating Denver shorties cleanly off the dodge and had open looks with nobody touching them. The misses were entirely self inflicted (I suspect they were too amped and pressing).

Quint was right not to buy too much into the hype, but IMO they are still roughly a fringe top 10 team, perhaps better at full strength. I'm not sure why Rutgers is getting such a free pass. Frankly their results don't look too dissimilar from Hopkins at this point.
One team lost to Ohio state by 6 and the other team demolished them? Granted it was Hops first game when they played OSU, but Rutty has way more consistently dangerous weapons on O, which it seems is how you make it this year. Kirst Mullins Charalambides is a way better attack line than Desimone Grimes and Epstein, at least given that Epstein still doesn’t look like his freshman self for now. Maybe that changes if he gets some of his explosiveness back and grimes gets going.

You makes some very good points. I think Georgetown will be better. Part of their performance could have been the result of playing weak teams for a few weeks before Denver. Getting Smith back will be big for them.

Rutgers looked really good in the first half against MD. I thought it was the best 1st half by two teams I have seen this year.

One team lost to Ohio state by 6 and the other team demolished them? Granted it was Hops first game when they played OSU, but Rutty has way more consistently dangerous weapons on O, which it seems is how you make it this year. Kirst Mullins Charalambides is a way better attack line than Desimone Grimes and Epstein, at least given that Epstein still doesn’t look like his freshman self for now. Maybe that changes if he gets some of his explosiveness back and grimes gets going.
And Hopkins annihilated PSU who Rutgers squeaked by in game one. I'm willing to write off first games for most teams (otherwise you have to factor in that Georgetown beating Villanova 16-1 is probably the most impressive result any team has had outside of UNC over Denver). Rutgers better on attack, but I think it's closer than you think; Desimone looks terrific and even hobbled, Epstein has proven himself a lethal shooter.

The past three games they had equivalent results against Michigan and Maryland, and each stomped one of PSU and OSU.

And Hopkins annihilated PSU who Rutgers squeaked by in game one. I'm willing to write off first games for most teams (otherwise you have to factor in that Georgetown beating Villanova 16-1 is probably the most impressive result any team has had outside of UNC over Denver).

The past three games they had equivalent results against Michigan and Maryland, and each stomped one of PSU and OSU.
I think Hop is the 3rd best team in the big 10, but just on the eye test I still see a gap between them and Rutty. Less consistent threats on O from what I can see and O is king this year. Ohio State and PSU have both looked pathetic in recent games. Just nobody on those teams who truly scares me as a 1 v 1 matchup, besides Leclaire at OSU when he is on. I guess we will get a more clear picture after the Hop Rutty game this weekend.

I think Hop is the 3rd best team in the big 10, but just on the eye test I still see a gap between them and Rutty. Less consistent threats on O from what I can see and O is king this year. Ohio State and PSU have both looked pathetic in recent games. Just nobody on those teams who truly scares me as a 1 v 1 matchup, besides Leclaire at OSU when he is on. I guess we will get a more clear picture after the Hop Rutty game this weekend.
Not a very exciting slate of games this weekend at all. Hopkins Rutty is the only really interesting one. MD should dominate the Buckeyes.

The Hoyas were still creating all sorts of looks, they just couldn't put shots on cage (an anomaly given this team's typically high shooting percentage the last few seasons)
Perhaps not that much of an anomaly given their weak schedule.

Not a very exciting slate of games this weekend at all. Hopkins Rutty is the only really interesting one. MD should dominate the Buckeyes.
Hopefully, UMd will dominate.

One thing to remember about the Big 10 is that they didn't have any scrimmages or OOC games to warm-up with, thus they had to use the first half of the schedule to do that. As the season goes on opposing coaches will probably do a better job at implementing ways to handle UMd's offense.
Further, this is only UMd's 2nd road game and OSU can be a tough place to play.

I'll only grant Hopkins 3rd in the Big 10 status, if they beat Rutgers. If they lose to Rutgers, they will just be 2-3.

Rutgers -JHU game has ramifications .Jays have either improved quickly or Penn State has really tailed off without Ament .

Dont know what is more annoying. Rutgers train horn or JHU band. Homewood is great but be rooting for the team from NJ.

Rutgers -JHU game has ramifications .Jays have either improved quickly or Penn State has really tailed off without Ament .

Dont know what is more annoying. Rutgers train horn or JHU band. Homewood is great but be rooting for the team from NJ.

I went to the Cuse game @ Rutgers a few years ago, that train horn is pretty brutal. Been to quite a few games @ Hopkins over the years and the band is ok its the cheer I find way more annoying.

there’s something else happening this weekend

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom