LAX Action for May 29-31 | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

LAX Action for May 29-31

But you were still schittin kittens at the end.

Honestly if the UVa long pole doesn't launch that full field pass for no reason UVa likely wins by 2 and with no last second heroics needed. UVA clearing is a total adventure

Honestly if the UVa long pole doesn't launch that full field pass for no reason UVa likely wins by 2 and with no last second heroics needed. UVA clearing is a total adventure
True. It is a glaring weakness that almost skunked them in last two games. Otherwise they played well . Thought they were clearly better at this in this game despite Rode being off and ref non calls on Maryland being questionable. Laviano has to be sore after all the checks to his back and head shots that were not called.

What should have been a caused turnover by #39 turned into two Maryland goals then you had the dumbsss pass beyond endline with 25 seconds which was mind boggling brainfart. .

Expect UVA and UNC to come into season ranked 1-2. UNC was a superb team, shame two top acc teams had to face each other in semis .

UVA is also fortunate that they didnt have to face Cuse a third time because the reality is that Phaup and a few of our athletes matched up well with LaScalla and their athletes.

It was a shot on goal obviously not on cage but Maryland was in a 10 man cage was open he probably figured UVA attack would win the back up

i like the smaller stadium situation. Would love to see the final four back in Byrd (no idea the new name), Rutgers, etc.
The smaller venues like Rentschler probably would be the soccer stadiums like Audi Field where DC United plays, Subaru Park in Chester, PA, where the Philly Union plays (the ACC lax tournament was there in 2014 so it wouldn't be in College Park), and Red Bull Arena in Harrison, NJ.

True. It is a glaring weakness that almost skunked them in last two games. Otherwise they played well . Thought they were clearly better at this in this game despite Rode being off and ref non calls on Maryland being questionable. Laviano has to be sore after all the checks to his back and head shots that were not called.

What should have been a caused turnover by #39 turned into two Maryland goals then you had the dumbsss pass beyond endline with 25 seconds which was mind boggling brainfart. .

Expect UVA and UNC to come into season ranked 1-2. UNC was a superb team, shame two top acc teams had to face each other in semis .

UVA is also fortunate that they didnt have to face Cuse a third time because the reality is that Phaup and a few of our athletes matched up well with LaScalla and their athletes.
I think you are right. Had we gotten past Georgetown, we had a shot to beat UVA for sure. I think that game in the quarters vs. UVA would have been our last win though...:cool:

It bears repeating.
Congrats, Hoo"s. Glad your Cavs won the game. UMD walked through the B10 and did not face stiff competition until the playoffs. They proved they belong near the top but verified that playing patsy games all season does not prepare a team for the championship.

Congrats, Hoo"s. Glad your Cavs won the game. UMD walked through the B10 and did not face stiff competition until the playoffs. They proved they belong near the top but verified that playing patsy games all season does not prepare a team for the championship.

I don't really get your last comment. Maryland proved they belong (by beating ND and Duke last 2 games I presume) but lost the Championship by 1 goal so that means that ultimately they were not prepared ? I'm not going to argue the B10 was a very good conference this year but clearly the Terps would have held their own if they were still in the ACC this season.

I don't really get your last comment. Maryland proved they belong (by beating ND and Duke last 2 games I presume) but lost the Championship by 1 goal so that means that ultimately they were not prepared ? I'm not going to argue the B10 was a very good conference this year but clearly the Terps would have held their own if they were still in the ACC this season.
Arguably, the Terps were maybe the best and most consistent team this season. They didn't seem to be have a "bad" game all year and gave Duke a beatdown while neck and neck with both UVA and ND.

Terps were 2-1 against the ACC.

Generally, when teams roll into the playoffs without being tested, they will start strong but fail to hold on to the end because the team has not faced real adversity. While I agree the B1G messed up the schedule which caused UMD to play only B1G teams, by playing only weaker teams, UMD missed out on the seasonal conditioning of adversity. UVA played the ACC schedule, was beaten twice by SU, they knew what it was like to be on the ropes and to how to overcome.

Rutgers was decent but not sufficient to prep UMD and JHU was not their historical lacrosse selves.

Generally, when teams roll into the playoffs without being tested, they will start strong but fail to hold on to the end because the team has not faced real adversity. While I agree the B1G messed up the schedule which caused UMD to play only B1G teams, by playing only weaker teams, UMD missed out on the seasonal conditioning of adversity. UVA played the ACC schedule, was beaten twice by SU, they knew what it was like to be on the ropes and to how to overcome.

Rutgers was decent but not sufficient to prep UMD and JHU was not their historical lacrosse selves.
Why didn't playing in the ACC help Duke?

Re-read the post. Comprehension is your friend.
Sounds pretty flimsey to me. UNC also lost to UVa too?

How about trying this model. There are 3 very good ACC teams in the final four, and Maryland. Maryland perhaps was the best of them, but still the odds that one of the ACC team would win was probably at least 2-1, and one did.

Sounds pretty flimsey to me. UNC also lost to UVa too?

How about trying this model. There are 3 very good ACC teams in the final four, and Maryland. Maryland perhaps was the best of them, but still the odds that one of the ACC team would win was probably at least 2-1, and one did.
Whatever floats your boat. You're allowed an opinion, just like every one of us. I respectfully disagree with your opinion.

How many B1G teams were composed of similar talent (coaches and players) as UMD? How many ACC teams were composed of similar talent (coaches and players) to UMD? How many other teams were composed of similar talent as UMD?

We can assume that most of the B1G was not at the same talent level of UMD based on head-to-head play, and most of the other teams in the playoffs were not at a similar level as UMD. UMD was not challenged in conference and did not play out of conference.

In a one-off game (i.e.: the playoffs), UMD could match up with any one team. I don't believe anyone on this board disagrees and most, if not all, agreed UMD was in the top three and could have been #1 as easily as #3. I, and this board, respected UMD's talent and accomplishment, a perfect season in any given year is hard enough. That said, because UMD was not tested in the regular season play, they were not prepared for post season play. The first round was easy enough. The second round was a good measure and UMD dispatched ND as most thought they would. Duke was caught flat footed, with no adjustments to compensate for UMD's game plan. Then came UVA. However, UMD had not played three top level teams in a 10 day span.

The same holds true in most sports, most of the time. Teams that do not play sufficiently tough schedules in the regular season rarely win the title.

If you choose to believe is was a mere matter of luck, so be it.

Whatever floats your boat. You're allowed an opinion, just like every one of us. I respectfully disagree with your opinion.

How many B1G teams were composed of similar talent (coaches and players) as UMD? How many ACC teams were composed of similar talent (coaches and players) to UMD? How many other teams were composed of similar talent as UMD?

We can assume that most of the B1G was not at the same talent level of UMD based on head-to-head play, and most of the other teams in the playoffs were not at a similar level as UMD. UMD was not challenged in conference and did not play out of conference.

In a one-off game (i.e.: the playoffs), UMD could match up with any one team. I don't believe anyone on this board disagrees and most, if not all, agreed UMD was in the top three and could have been #1 as easily as #3. I, and this board, respected UMD's talent and accomplishment, a perfect season in any given year is hard enough. That said, because UMD was not tested in the regular season play, they were not prepared for post season play. The first round was easy enough. The second round was a good measure and UMD dispatched ND as most thought they would. Duke was caught flat footed, with no adjustments to compensate for UMD's game plan. Then came UVA. However, UMD had not played three top level teams in a 10 day span.

The same holds true in most sports, most of the time. Teams that do not play sufficiently tough schedules in the regular season rarely win the title.

If you choose to believe is was a mere matter of luck, so be it.
No, I choose to believe that UVa really brought their A game today and was really hot, and that is why they won. It would be nice if Maryland got another shot at them, but that is how single elimination tournaments go.

UVa had not played 3 top level teams in a 10 day span either.

No, I choose to believe that UVa really brought their A game today and was really hot, and that is why they won. It would be nice if Maryland got another shot at them, but that is how single elimination tournaments go.

I do think that UVA got hot at the right time. MD looked like they played their best game against Duke but who knows? At the same time, Duke looked to lay an egg. UVA is able to improvise and play with more creativity which MD seemed to find difficult to handle.

UVA had not played 3 top level teams? Not quite as hard as MDs but GTown into UNC is no cake walk. Or are you referring to something else?

Very hard to explain away UVA winning as them getting hot at the right time. You don’t win 3 in a row to get to the final game and then win it if you are on some kind of streak that is above and beyond how well you should be playing. They are good, and they were the better team today. No pipe shot level ref nonsense (I saw bad calls both ways), no unfair advantage at the x for Lasalla, and uva scored in both unsettled and 6v6 situations, including 1v1 dodges against MDs very highly acclaimed top 2 long poles. Hard to call it a fluke in any way.

Very hard to explain away UVA winning as them getting hot at the right time. You don’t win 3 in a row to get to the final game and then win it if you are on some kind of streak that is above and beyond how well you should be playing. They are good, and they were the better team today. No pipe shot level ref nonsense (I saw bad calls both ways), no unfair advantage at the x for Lasalla, and uva scored in both unsettled and 6v6 situations, including 1v1 dodges against MDs very highly acclaimed top 2 long poles. Hard to call it a fluke in any way.
Agreed. Winning 2 titles in a row is no fluke. Maybe to put it another way, UVA seems to be able to play just about any type of game and find a way to win - each component seemed to step up when needed or when the others weren't at their best. The emergence of Shellenberger as a stud was a huge positive for them late in the season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom