LAX Action for May 29-31 | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

LAX Action for May 29-31

No, I choose to believe that UVa really brought their A game today and was really hot, and that is why they won. It would be nice if Maryland got another shot at them, but that is how single elimination tournaments go.

UVa had not played 3 top level teams in a 10 day span either.
Again, you believe in luck. By your measure, UVA brought their "A" game, what game did UMD bring? If you say UMD brought their "A" game, you agree UVA was better. (UVA's "A" Game > UMD's "A" Game as verified on the field. If you say UMD brought their "A-/B" Game, then explain why?

Per your comment, UMD lost because the one day UVA has a great game was today. UVA has been a good team, they were the #4 seed. They played an easy opponent in round 1, then Georgetown (#5 seed), UNC (#1 seed) and UMD (#3 seed). By rankings, UVA's road was tougher playing the 5 (Georgetown), 1 (UNC), and 3 (UMD) seeds, UMD played the 6 (ND), 2 (Duke), and 4 (UVA) seeds.

UMD played a nearly perfect game against UVA. It simply was not enough. Both teams have great coaches, great players, and can play with anyone. I attribute the difference to UMD playing a softer than usual schedule. Had JHU been the traditional JHU, UMD may have been tried and true and won today. Had UMD played their planned schedule, would it be enough to prepare UMD for the tourney? Who knows, who cares, the "what if" game means nothing, especially when the issue was resolved on the field. History shows that teams that play easy schedules usually cannot win the championship.

Anyway, congrats to UVA for the win, congrats to UMD for a good game. As someone who's team was bounced from the field rather quickly, I enjoyed today's game.

Agreed. Winning 2 titles in a row is no fluke. Maybe to put it another way, UVA seems to be able to play just about any type of game and find a way to win - each component seemed to step up when needed or when the others weren't at their best. The emergence of Shellenberger as a stud was a huge positive for them late in the season.
Shellenberger and the tall Californian lsm, #39 I believe. He had some nice moments today. I was surprised the terps could not exploit the SSDM matchups more at key moments. Also sometimes I wanted them to just give the ball back to Bernhardt as much as possible. He was making Saustad look stupid at times and they would keep trying all these other guys after his initial dodge with him just standing there. Like he just made Saustad do a 360 spin for no reason, give him the ball again!

Generally, when teams roll into the playoffs without being tested, they will start strong but fail to hold on to the end because the team has not faced real adversity. While I agree the B1G messed up the schedule which caused UMD to play only B1G teams, by playing only weaker teams, UMD missed out on the seasonal conditioning of adversity. UVA played the ACC schedule, was beaten twice by SU, they knew what it was like to be on the ropes and to how to overcome.

Rutgers was decent but not sufficient to prep UMD and JHU was not their historical lacrosse selves.
Hopkins had them dead in the water in game 1, and lead almost throughout in game 2; Maryland came back and won both games. In the tourney they had to go to ND and play a road game against probably the best six seed ever, and came back from three down in the 4th quarter to win that one. They were down 5 goals with 6 minutes left in the national title game and almost pulled it off.

Maryland's failure to bring home the title had nothing to do with an inability to handle adversity. I'd argue that no team was more resilient mentally, and they proved it in the B1G and in the tournament. Compare that to the ACC teams:

Syracuse: well-tread territory here. Imploded against Georgetown
Duke: not gonna give them too much credit for squeaking by a less talented Loyola team that they should have put to bed much earlier. Completely folded in the semis
ND: Lack of composure late in games was a theme for them all year, and it continued in the tourney. Blew a comfortable lead against Drexel before squeaking it out, and wilted in the 4th quarter against Maryland
UVA: Showed resilience against a tough Bryant team, but in both the semis and the championship game, they quite literally nearly threw the game away.
UNC: probably the most mentally resilient of the bunch IMO. Didn't play their best lacrosse in the tourney (I think the Cook injury was more damaging than people realize), but gritted it out against Rutgers and almost did the same against a super-athletic UVA team.

Still trying to figure out Corrigan and ND. Thought they should have won the UVA, Duke and Maryland games. Had solid leads on all in 4q but then just tightened up and got away from their approach which is surprising for a team that is disciplined on both ends. Team had underrated talents and he is supposedly a good coach but struggled closing out.
On transfer front, Corrigan jumped early with both feet. Doesn't seem to have concern about integrating igrads nto culture or that tactic becoming a issue retaining or recruiting.

UNC starting attackmen

Gray 5'7 170
Kelly 5'9 165
Solomon 5'9 175

nm

This is true...my rebuttal to this is that UNC actually runs an offense that involves motion and cutting. You don't often see 5-9 guys putting their shoulder into a 6-3 215 defender and trying to iso them from X.

Gray had 91 pts and those attackman had 73 assists. Our 3 guys had 57 or 66 witch Scanlan. Rehfuss the leading pts getter with 56. Maybe it's coincidence that Rehfuss is our biggest attackman?

Hiltz at 180 more than makes up for the 5-7 but he's a finisher, an inside crease guy. Reminds me of Keogh.

Still trying to figure out Corrigan and ND. Thought they should have won the UVA, Duke and Maryland games. Had solid leads on all in 4q but then just tightened up and got away from their approach which is surprising for a team that is disciplined on both ends. Team had underrated talents and he is supposedly a good coach but struggled closing out.
On transfer front, Corrigan jumped early with both feet. Doesn't seem to have concern about integrating igrads nto culture or that tactic becoming a issue retaining or recruiting.
not really your whole point, but uva had the early lead, nd came back with 2 late 1st half goals to lead 7-5. uva tied it up there in the mid- 3rd and never trailed again.

Hiltz at 180 more than makes up for the 5-7 but he's a finisher, an inside crease guy. Reminds me of Keogh.

Hiltz is way more than just a finisher - he can shoot from the outside and his vision is really extraordinary. Skip passes galore. He was second on the team in assists this year with 19 (Keogh never had more than eight assists in a season). I thought Syracuse used Hiltz too much as just a crease finisher, but he is so much more than that.

Hopkins had them dead in the water in game 1, and lead almost throughout in game 2; Maryland came back and won both games. In the tourney they had to go to ND and play a road game against probably the best six seed ever, and came back from three down in the 4th quarter to win that one. They were down 5 goals with 6 minutes left in the national title game and almost pulled it off.

Maryland's failure to bring home the title had nothing to do with an inability to handle adversity. I'd argue that no team was more resilient mentally, and they proved it in the B1G and in the tournament. Compare that to the ACC teams:

Syracuse: well-tread territory here. Imploded against Georgetown
Duke: not gonna give them too much credit for squeaking by a less talented Loyola team that they should have put to bed much earlier. Completely folded in the semis
ND: Lack of composure late in games was a theme for them all year, and it continued in the tourney. Blew a comfortable lead against Drexel before squeaking it out, and wilted in the 4th quarter against Maryland
UVA: Showed resilience against a tough Bryant team, but in both the semis and the championship game, they quite literally nearly threw the game away.
UNC: probably the most mentally resilient of the bunch IMO. Didn't play their best lacrosse in the tourney (I think the Cook injury was more damaging than people realize), but gritted it out against Rutgers and almost did the same against a super-athletic UVA team.
The most resilient team in the field lost, per your conjecture. You may wish to recall that UVA was beat by SU twice, you know, the SU team that imploded against Georgetown.

You also note ND being the best six seed ever. Kind of proves my point that Georgetown, as a five seed, was the better team, I mean, they were seeded ahead of the best ever six seed so your argument is weak at best. The tournament selection committed agrees otherwise ND would have been the five seed.

I suggest you re-read my posts, I never said UMD had an inability to handle adversity. Quite the contrary since I fully recognize that UMD belonged in the top three. I did state that the B1G conference play only failed to prepare UMD. There is a huge difference between what I said and your false allegation. Reading comprehension is a good thing.

Ironically, you make my point when you argue JHU and Rutgers challenged UMD in league play. The score on Monday shows the conference play was not enough to prepare UMD for the win. My purpose focused on the B1G's ignorant decision to ban OOC play not on UMD. I have not slammed UMD. I have respected UMD and think they will be in the thick of things again in 2022.

I don't believe it was luck that UVA won the game, they were prepared, knew how to shake off mistakes and earned the win. If you wish to believe UVA got lucky, go for it.

Hiltz is way more than just a finisher - he can shoot from the outside and his vision is really extraordinary. Skip passes galore. He was second on the team in assists this year with 19 (Keogh never had more than eight assists in a season). I thought Syracuse used Hiltz too much as just a crease finisher, but he is so much more than that.
You have a better eye for the game than I, could it have more of Hiltz seeing an opportunity and taking advantage of it? I ask because he never seemed out of place to me and wasn't "standing around" in off-ball situations.

The most resilient team in the field lost, per your conjecture. You may wish to recall that UVA was beat by SU twice, you know, the SU team that imploded against Georgetown.

You also note ND being the best six seed ever. Kind of proves my point that Georgetown, as a five seed, was the better team, I mean, they were seeded ahead of the best ever six seed so your argument is weak at best. The tournament selection committed agrees otherwise ND would have been the five seed.

I suggest you re-read my posts, I never said UMD had an inability to handle adversity. Quite the contrary since I fully recognize that UMD belonged in the top three. I did state that the B1G conference play only failed to prepare UMD. There is a huge difference between what I said and your false allegation. Reading comprehension is a good thing.

Ironically, you make my point when you argue JHU and Rutgers challenged UMD in league play. The score on Monday shows the conference play was not enough to prepare UMD for the win. My purpose focused on the B1G's ignorant decision to ban OOC play not on UMD. I have not slammed UMD. I have respected UMD and think they will be in the thick of things again in 2022.

I don't believe it was luck that UVA won the game, they were prepared, knew how to shake off mistakes and earned the win. If you wish to believe UVA got lucky, go for it.
You can't even comprehend your own post and you're questioning my reading comprehension?

Direct quotes from you:

"Generally, when teams roll into the playoffs without being tested, they will start strong but fail to hold on to the end because the team has not faced real adversity. While I agree the B1G messed up the schedule which caused UMD to play only B1G teams, by playing only weaker teams, UMD missed out on the seasonal conditioning of adversity."

This is wrong on two levels. First, if I was to accept your premise that Maryland missed out on the seasonal conditioning of adversity, it's irrelevant to why they didn't win the title. You posit that teams that aren't tested start strong but fail to hold on, but the Terps did the opposite; they were in deep holes in the fourth quarter against ND and UVA, and then battled back. What you are describing in terms of failing to hold onto leads is exactly what ND did in the quarterfinals against MD and the opening round against Drexel, and what UVA nearly did in the semis and finals. If those battle tested ACC teams had so much experience dealing with adversity, why where they the ones struggling late in the game compared to the less adversity-trained Terps?

Second, as I pointed out in my last post (reading comprehension!), Maryland WAS tested. That's just objectively the truth; they were down three goals late in the 4th quarter against Hopkins in the season finale, and made a brilliant comeback. They were down almost the entire game in the rematch in the B1G semis, and flipped the script in the 4th quarter. And if we're being fair, they were certainly tested in the first Rutgers match, which was a back and forth one goal game until the 4th quarter, when the Terps steamrolled them for 8 goals.

Those are the things I disagreed with you on. I never made any false allegations or accused you of saying anything other than what you said. I never said you were trying to disrespect Maryland. I never said UVA was lucky to win. All I said was that dominant as they were, Maryland did face adversity in the B1G against Hopkins (not debatable, that's a fact), and that the reason they didn't win the title wasn't because they didn't know how to deal with adversity (they responded terrifically to adversity against both ND and UVA). Ironically, the conclusion to be drawn from my post is that the reason they lost to the Hoos was because UVA was just better. I don't know how you could construe my comments as saying UVA was lucky. Just because I think Maryland was the most resilient team doesn't mean I thought they were the best.

"I suggest you re-read my posts, I never said UMD had an inability to handle adversity. Quite the contrary since I fully recognize that UMD belonged in the top three. I did state that the B1G conference play only failed to prepare UMD. There is a huge difference between what I said and your false allegation. Reading comprehension is a good thing.

Ironically, you make my point when you argue JHU and Rutgers challenged UMD in league play. The score on Monday shows the conference play was not enough to prepare UMD for the win."

You're changing the argument in this section. Maybe this was what you intended to say the first time. But saying that the quality of competition didn't prepare them as well as it could have is quite different from saying that they were never tested in games (objectively not true) and thus didn't react well once they found themselves in a game that they weren't dominating (again, they actually did respond very well to adversity -- when faced with a deficit, instead of folding they rallied and fought back).

i guess what I meant is that he’s not really a dodger. He’s a big time off ball player.

so right

i guess what I meant is that he’s not really a dodger. He’s a big time off ball player.
That is fair enough. It definitely is what we had him doing for us this year. I thought he did show flashes at times. Definitely scored a few goals in dodging situations. He is also quite fast and athletic. I bet we see a lot more ball carrying from him next year with rehfuss gone.

You can't even comprehend your own post and you're questioning my reading comprehension?

Direct quotes from you:

"Generally, when teams roll into the playoffs without being tested, they will start strong but fail to hold on to the end because the team has not faced real adversity. While I agree the B1G messed up the schedule which caused UMD to play only B1G teams, by playing only weaker teams, UMD missed out on the seasonal conditioning of adversity."

This is wrong on two levels. First, if I was to accept your premise that Maryland missed out on the seasonal conditioning of adversity, it's irrelevant to why they didn't win the title. You posit that teams that aren't tested start strong but fail to hold on, but the Terps did the opposite; they were in deep holes in the fourth quarter against ND and UVA, and then battled back. What you are describing in terms of failing to hold onto leads is exactly what ND did in the quarterfinals against MD and the opening round against Drexel, and what UVA nearly did in the semis and finals. If those battle tested ACC teams had so much experience dealing with adversity, why where they the ones struggling late in the game compared to the less adversity-trained Terps?

Second, as I pointed out in my last post (reading comprehension!), Maryland WAS tested. That's just objectively the truth; they were down three goals late in the 4th quarter against Hopkins in the season finale, and made a brilliant comeback. They were down almost the entire game in the rematch in the B1G semis, and flipped the script in the 4th quarter. And if we're being fair, they were certainly tested in the first Rutgers match, which was a back and forth one goal game until the 4th quarter, when the Terps steamrolled them for 8 goals.

Those are the things I disagreed with you on. I never made any false allegations or accused you of saying anything other than what you said. I never said you were trying to disrespect Maryland. I never said UVA was lucky to win. All I said was that dominant as they were, Maryland did face adversity in the B1G against Hopkins (not debatable, that's a fact), and that the reason they didn't win the title wasn't because they didn't know how to deal with adversity (they responded terrifically to adversity against both ND and UVA). Ironically, the conclusion to be drawn from my post is that the reason they lost to the Hoos was because UVA was just better. I don't know how you could construe my comments as saying UVA was lucky. Just because I think Maryland was the most resilient team doesn't mean I thought they were the best.

"I suggest you re-read my posts, I never said UMD had an inability to handle adversity. Quite the contrary since I fully recognize that UMD belonged in the top three. I did state that the B1G conference play only failed to prepare UMD. There is a huge difference between what I said and your false allegation. Reading comprehension is a good thing.

Ironically, you make my point when you argue JHU and Rutgers challenged UMD in league play. The score on Monday shows the conference play was not enough to prepare UMD for the win."

You're changing the argument in this section. Maybe this was what you intended to say the first time. But saying that the quality of competition didn't prepare them as well as it could have is quite different from saying that they were never tested in games (objectively not true) and thus didn't react well once they found themselves in a game that they weren't dominating (again, they actually did respond very well to adversity -- when faced with a deficit, instead of folding they rallied and fought back)
You failed to include the full quote of my initial post on this topic. The qualifier nullifies your last claim alleging I changed the subject. See the qualifier included with the first post:

"Rutgers was decent but not sufficient to prep UMD and JHU was not their historical lacrosse selves."

To your first point, you completely missed my point. I was referring to seasons, not individual games, but have at it. Further, if you read my post closely, you will realize I never said UMD wasn't tested, rather the statement was a generalized statement. Sure, you can infer whatever you want, as you have, but that does not equate to an accurate reading, especially when the qualifying statement follows.

To be sure, you made the statement "Maryland's failure to bring home the title had nothing to do with an inability to handle adversity." (Post #156) I did not claim UMD had an inability to handle adversity. You took my comments out of context.

Again, my point had to do with the B1G failing to fully prepare UMD for the Tourney. If you think the B1G's policy of no OOC games was good enough to prepare UMD, then that is your opinion. It's O.K. to disagree.

You have a better eye for the game than I, could it have more of Hiltz seeing an opportunity and taking advantage of it? I ask because he never seemed out of place to me and wasn't "standing around" in off-ball situations.

I'm not sure what the driving force was (we aren't in the huddle or team meetings obviously) but it seemed like the coaches liked to put him in different situations, depending on matchups. Against Stony Brook he was shooting from far out and directing the offense. Against Duke, Desko said they were using him as a decoy since the Devils had matched him up with Giles-Harris. And yes, he did dodge but not a lot, against Albany he did a standard speed dodge and ended up one on one with the goalie. He showed he was capable. In the high school film I saw of him it was the same thing, capable but didn't do it a lot.

Overall the offense seemed disjointed for most of the year, I think the coaches had a hard time deciding who they should go to in specific situations. Similar to Duke in a way, though I think Duke's strategy was more egregious since they had Sowers. I mean, they had Hiltz playing second line midfield to start the year. The lack of preseason practice and scrimmaging I think really hurt this team. Surprising given that the entire offense came back minus Lipka, but its easy to think they could have sorted out a lot of issues had they had more time/practice.

Haven't seen Teat in awhile but Hiltz has some similar traits to him and even Gray , few are the water bug that Gray is but Hiltz a hybrid who can operate from most anywhere. with his vision, passing skills and wide array in or out. Intuitive and more athletic than he appears , has hesitation moves that bballers have to throw defenders off balance. At Duke , yep served as a decoy who pulled defender out which spread the field for others . Smart move, dumb d by Duke .Similar tactic used earlier in season with Scanlan vs Army to lesser effect.

Lack of fall practice definitely hurt. Hope much emphasis in fall seven on these two offensive fronts.

1-Never integrated all the various offensive skills. Some were complementary others were not . Went from mid centric to attack centric after Hiltz insertion which brought out Refhuss total skillset that is continuing in PLL however it stifled some others without adjusting to blend. Too many times Trimboli Trimboli was spectator given his placement. Should be obvious to all that both Curry and Dordevic are best initiating up top and running downfield at defenders creating space for themselves to shoot or draw and dish creating ball movement, They are not nearly as effective receiving ball in the box . Love to get thoughts on others here on how to achieve a happy medium whether it be approach or rejuggling of persomnel to best blend and utilize the differing talents.
2-Too late for Dearth now but our inability or reluctance to outlet upfield wasted away their his transition skills as well as Kennedy and Aviles. Every week watched lesser ball stoppers quickly release upfield off saves creating transition into unsettled defenses. In women lax, Goldstock and other goalies were doing same off many stops . Simply maddening that Cuse men didnt t despite h releases to upfield openings only to see those run off frustrated while we wasted clock with the back and forth crap that allowed opposing defenses to settle. Ridiculous, smh. .K Donahue and Madonna was missed in that facet . Dearths transition skills will flourish in the PLL. Young goalies have the ability to outlet , should be another emphasis. come fall.

Haven't seen Teat in awhile but Hiltz has some similar traits to him and even Gray , few are the water bug that Gray is but Hiltz a hybrid who can operate from most anywhere. with his vision, passing skills and wide array in or out. Intuitive and more athletic than he appears , has hesitation moves that bballers have to throw defenders off balance. At Duke , yep served as a decoy who pulled defender out which spread the field for others . Smart move, dumb d by Duke .Similar tactic used earlier in season with Scanlan vs Army to lesser effect.

Lack of fall practice definitely hurt. Hope much emphasis in fall seven on these two offensive fronts.

1-Never integrated all the various offensive skills. Some were complementary others were not . Went from mid centric to attack centric after Hiltz insertion which brought out Refhuss total skillset that is continuing in PLL however it stifled some others without adjusting to blend. Too many times Trimboli Trimboli was spectator given his placement. Should be obvious to all that both Curry and Dordevic are best initiating up top and running downfield at defenders creating space for themselves to shoot or draw and dish creating ball movement, They are not nearly as effective receiving ball in the box . Love to get thoughts on others here on how to achieve a happy medium whether it be approach or rejuggling of persomnel to best blend and utilize the differing talents.
2-Too late for Dearth now but our inability or reluctance to outlet upfield wasted away their his transition skills as well as Kennedy and Aviles. Every week watched lesser ball stoppers quickly release upfield off saves creating transition into unsettled defenses. In women lax, Goldstock and other goalies were doing same off many stops . Simply maddening that Cuse men didnt t despite h releases to upfield openings only to see those run off frustrated while we wasted clock with the back and forth crap that allowed opposing defenses to settle. Ridiculous, smh. .K Donahue and Madonna was missed in that facet . Dearths transition skills will flourish in the PLL. Young goalies have the ability to outlet , should be another emphasis. come fall.
Dordevic and Curry can get separation on pretty much anyone you put on them, but their long range shooting/shooting on the run, while much improved since they arrived, still got exposed this season. I think both, despite being able to shoot with great speed and accuracy, struggle with avoiding telegraphing their shots. Some saves goalies made on them were by simply anticipating the shot location before the ball even left their stick. Both did have some nice moments on the invert this year however, and their relative weakness with shooting mattered less in those situations as they were just coming around GLE and would have looks from much closer range. At times they looked more comfortable finishing coming around GLE than from distance up top. Also (Curry especially) they were able to show their skills as feeders on the invert.

I still think a potential solution would be to move one of them down to attack. Your biggest dodging threats should be on the field as much as possible. Look at how UVA used Shellenberger down the stretch. Now that Rehfuss has left us I think the time has come to move one of them down there. Another dodger at attack to compliment Seebold and facilitate slides that let Hiltz shine offball or unsettled situations where the D is moving. One potential problem is that they are both natural righties as is Seebold. But I think it would still work as they both have solid off hands and there is a lefty down there already with Hiltz.

Doc, That rejuggle makes sense though every action has a chain reaction that has to be considered. Of the two , Curry is the better passer while Dord has the stronger shiftier body. All about tblending he right mix and tailoring approach to max . Perhaps a fall ball experiment

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom