LAX Action for May 4-7 | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

LAX Action for May 4-7

So basically to save money
ND and Ohio State will get easier opponents than Syracuse. What a joke.
ND shouldn't be a top 4 seed.
Give Marquette to Ohio State.

Top 8 seeds IMO
1: Maryland hosting Monmouth/Bryant
2. Syracuse hosting Yale/Brown
3. Ohio State hosting Marquette
4. Notre Dame hosting Air Force
5. Penn State hosting Albany
6. Denver hosting North Carolina
7. Duke hosting Loyola
8. Hopkins hosting Towson

This is a good effort.
A few thoughts:
Air Force winning screwed us. The tournament is allowed on two plane rides, and Denver vs. Air Force doesn't fit the seeding well.
The closest bus ride for the Ivy Champ other than Syracuse is Penn State, or Albany.
(I also don't think the committee will create a potential Maryland vs. Hopkins game in the round of 8.)

The sport is growing. It's time to give the tournament a bigger budget.

RPI as of now (Sunday morning 5/7), obviously exclusive of Monmouth/Marist (37), Yale/Brown, and Duke/BU.

Interestingly, the Duke/BU game has some serious import to it. A Devil win would give them another Top 20 win and probably clinch a home game. A loss, and it's most likely time to warm up the bus.

View attachment 96159
So Albany is 3rd in the RPI and doesn't seem to be projected in the top 8.
That shows how flawed the process is.
Albany deserves a home game over a team like Hopkins.

This is a good effort.
A few thoughts:
Air Force winning screwed us. The tournament is allowed on two plane rides, and Denver vs. Air Force doesn't fit the seeding well.
The closest bus ride for the Ivy Champ other than Syracuse is Penn State, or Albany.
(I also don't think the committee will create a potential Maryland vs. Hopkins game in the round of 8.)

The sport is growing. It's time to give the tournament a bigger budget.
I had a hard time even justifying Hopkins as a top 8 seed over a team like Albany but the projections are all saying it.
I would put Albany 8th.
Send Towson to Penn State
Duke host Hopkins
Albany host Loyola and all the bus rides are met.

Just to be clear, there is no 'two flight' rule. The exact wording is "the remaining ranked teams that have been selected (by the regular selection criteria for automatic qualifiers or as an at-large) will be paired geographically, while also maintaining bracket integrity, and to create the least number of flights. Teams traveling over 400 miles will trigger a flight being counted."

Is two flights a guiding principle? Apparently. But the official procedure calls for creating 'the least number of flights'. IIRC, several years ago there were 3 flights, but I'm not 100% sure and I don't care to look it up.

Now, will the committee give us Bryant instead of Yale/Brown because a higher seed deserves an 'easier' game? Who knows? They should, but that doesn't mean they will.

It is incredibly annoying that this sport, which has a massive television presence compared to other "non-revenue" sports, is still being treated like some sort of backwater non-entity. Use some of those television $$$ and put out the bracket which makes sense based on the on-field results, and not geography.

So Albany is 3rd in the RPI and doesn't seem to be projected in the top 8.
That shows how flawed the process is.
Albany deserves a home game over a team like Hopkins.
Yup - if the selection committee chooses/seeds teams based on Top 5, Top 10, and Top 20 wins, they need another tool to do so, other than RPI.

Just to be clear, there is no 'two flight' rule. The exact wording is "the remaining ranked teams that have been selected (by the regular selection criteria for automatic qualifiers or as an at-large) will be paired geographically, while also maintaining bracket integrity, and to create the least number of flights. Teams traveling over 400 miles will trigger a flight being counted."

Is two flights a guiding principle? Apparently. But the official procedure calls for creating 'the least number of flights'. IIRC, several years ago there were 3 flights, but I'm not 100% sure and I don't care to look it up.

Now, will the committee give us Bryant instead of Yale/Brown because a higher seed deserves an 'easier' game? Who knows? They should, but that doesn't mean they will.

It is incredibly annoying that this sport, which has a massive television presence compared to other "non-revenue" sports, is still being treated like some sort of backwater non-entity. Use some of those television $$$ and put out the bracket which makes sense based on the on-field results, and not geography.
If the committee was being fair IMO the bracket would like this.
1. Maryland vs. Monmouth/AF
2. Syracuse vs. Bryant
3. Ohio State vs. Marquette
4. Notre Dame vs. Towson
5. Penn State vs. Yale
6. Denver vs. UNC
7. Duke vs. Loyola
8. Albany vs. Hopkins
In this bracket the top teams get a break and its balanced.

If the committee was being fair IMO the bracket would like this.
1. Maryland vs. Monmouth/AF
2. Syracuse vs. Bryant
3. Ohio State vs. Marquette
4. Notre Dame vs. Towson
5. Penn State vs. Yale
6. Denver vs. UNC
7. Duke vs. Loyola
8. Albany vs. Hopkins
In this bracket the top teams get a break and its balanced.
Yes, all Top 8 seeds (home teams) should be playing teams based (on whatever criteria) on their relative seedings.

I am not hopeful.

Been out of town so couldn't comment much but as I noted earlier in the week if ND gets air force there needs to be a criminal investigation. You cant give a 2 seed the harder opponent because of some travel bs. That said SU needs to look in the mirror because right now they are playing with fire and dont seem to have learned anything from the unc game

Been out of town so couldn't comment much but as I noted earlier in the week if ND gets air force there needs to be a criminal investigation. You cant give a 2 seed the harder opponent because of some travel bs. That said SU needs to look in the mirror because right now they are playing with fire and dont seem to have learned anything from the unc game

We learned that we can't turn the ball over 17 times.

Man Albany thumped Binghamton 20-8.

Albany has two losses. by one goal to Maryland and one goal to Syracuse. I don't think anybody wants a part of Albany.

"We need to play 60 minutes." Is that a suggestion or an imperative statement ?

Every year there are some decisions that are head scratchers. Some years back Cornell went undefeated and beat Duke in the regular season. Duke got the 1 seed and Cornell got the 2. Be prepared for knucklehead seedings.

Every year there are some decisions that are head scratchers. Some years back Cornell went undefeated and beat Duke in the regular season. Duke got the 1 seed and Cornell got the 2. Be prepared for knucklehead seedings.

The NCAA lax committee usually does an awful job as you noted. I expect the same this year.

After dominating most of the 1st quarter, Yale has fallen behind to Brown 6-5 with ~7 minutes left in the 2nd period.

After dominating most of the 1st quarter, Yale has fallen behind to Brown 6-5 with ~7 minutes left in the 2nd period.

Brown winning would be outstanding. There D is horrific

Since trailing 5-2 late in the first, Brown went on a 6 goal run.

HT: Brown 8-5

Final: Yale 10-9

Molloy hits the crossbar as time runs out.

Oh Hi, Eli

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom