Class of 2018 - LB Juan Wallace Jr (DC/IMG) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 LB Juan Wallace Jr (DC/IMG) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE

Yeah like when we lost Strickland or Clark when they showed interest in SEC schools after committing?

I mean - we have won some of these scenarios.

Or Ifeatu with his 11th hour official visit to Michigan. If you're confident in what your selling tell people to shop around.

Looking at one school is different than a recruit saying yes I'll visit to at least two after you committed. The kid is shopping.

Oh that's a big difference. 1 school versus 2. The kid is entitled to 5 official visits. If he took them all it wouldn't surprise me. If any of them took them all it wouldn't surprise me. If we say 'no you cant' then we're cutting off the nose to spite the face, kid decommits and we're stuck finding a replacement anyways. I hate the whole 'verbal' commitment thing. Always have always will.

Looking at one school is different than a recruit saying yes I'll visit to at least two after you committed. The kid is shopping.

I'm not sure it matters if it's one SEC school vs 2. He may well be shopping around, but that doesn't mean we lose out automatically. It's not a good sign, for sure. But I think if Dino is confident in the relationship he should stick with it. That's the key piece to the puzzle that we just don't know.

If that was the case, I'm pretty sure he'd have decommitted from us already. He very well might go elsewhere, but right now he's committed to SU, and I'm sure the staff has options if he chooses to not be a part of this class.

If that was the case, I'm pretty sure he'd have decommitted from us already. He very well might go elsewhere, but right now he's committed to SU, and I'm sure the staff has options if he chooses to not be a part of this class.
Yup, There's enough communication that allows both sides to have other options if needed. Wallace will tell them or give them vibes if he is thinking elsewhere. The staff is keeping contact/recruiting other too. That's recruiting these days.

Last edited:
If we find someone else with similar talent who is really committed, I'd be fine with them giving him Wallace scholarship offer

If we find someone else with similar talent who is really committed, I'd be fine with them giving him Wallace scholarship offer
How did that work out for Rutgers?

Cutting a kid loose is terrible PR, regardless of circumstances. It's even worse when you do it to sign a lesser prospect who's 'really committed' just because you're afraid of competition.

I did say with similar talent. I don't care about the PR if the kid keeps saying he's open and interested in multiple other places. Committed should be two way.
How did that work out for Rutgers?

Cutting a kid loose is terrible PR, regardless of circumstances. It's even worse when you do it to sign a lesser prospect who's 'really committed' just because you're afraid of competition.

Not sure why so many are ready to Cut bait here...

You keep some other options warm and let it all play out. You definitely don't run because he wants to get the full experience.

My feelings: recruit another player.

Enough of this crap...we know how it will go.

I am very high on keeping your word. It is really simple, if you are not sure about a school, do not make a commit, but if you do commit then stick to your word. Really would rather have a player who follows that principle than one who continues shopping after a "commitment". I could never feel good about that kind of person.

I did say with similar talent. I don't care about the PR if the kid keeps saying he's open and interested in multiple other places. Committed should be two way.
There's no one on the board that we have a realistic chance of landing that is a "similar talent". If Dino told him he could take the visits, then what's the problem?

I am very high on keeping your word. It is really simple, if you are not sure about a school, do not make a commit, but if you do commit then stick to your word. Really would rather have a player who follows that principle than one who continues shopping after a "commitment". I could never feel good about that kind of person.
He's stuck to his word so far. He's still committed to Syracuse University. He's also a 17 year old kid trying to make confirm that he made the right choice of where he wants to spend the next four years of his life.

There's no one on the board that we have a realistic chance of landing that is a "similar talent". If Dino told him he could take the visits, then what's the problem?

I'm a fan of Antuwan Johnson, but your point is well taken.

The problem is we have to hold a spot, and if he does back out we are high and dry. Look I do not care if he takes five hundred visits before he makes a "commitment", but I have a real problem after because that is not a commit at all. A person is not worth squat to anyone if he is willing to go back on his word once given, that shows lack of character.

The problem is we have to hold a spot, and if he does back out we are high and dry. Look I do not care if he takes five hundred visits before he makes a "commitment", but I have a real problem after because that is not a commit at all. A person is not worth squat to anyone if he is willing to go back on his word once given, that shows lack of character.
Cart before the horse.. he has not shown that he's willing to go back on his word as of yet. Thus, how can you question his character right now? It would be the same as me questioning your character for "chicken little"ing right now. Everyone needs to step back from that ledge.

Hey I get that but these kids are alot different than us. They are exposed to so many things these days. The general population of teenagers are like that despite being taught differently by their parents. I coach and my kids change their minds every other day lol. Some of them don't have the father at home to teach them about commitment. The things they see on social media, they are influenced by 7v7 coaches, other prospects at camp curcuits, 7v7 tourneys etc... They travel and do more unofficial visits way more than kids did in the 60's,70's, 80's and 90's. It was easier to stick to your word back then because you didnt see as much.

Last edited:
Cart before the horse.. he has not shown that he's willing to go back on his word as of yet. Thus, how can you question his character right now? It would be the same as me questioning your character for "chicken little"ing right now. Everyone needs to step back from that ledge.

No, lack of character is shown by continuing to pursue another agenda contrary to ones word or commitment, not whether one actually decommits. The whole idea of pledging ones word or commit is not to pursue that which is contrary to ones word.
Again, avoid this ethical dilemma by not committing until you are willing to live with your pledge. His pursuit of another agenda, AFTER commit, is what shows lack of character.
As far as your trying to attack my character with that chicken little thing, that would require me caring if he goes to SU or not, but I could give a fat rats --- if he ever goes to SU or not. At this point I guess I would say cut bait and move on, but not my call.

No, lack of character is shown by continuing to pursue another agenda contrary to ones word or commitment, not whether one actually decommits. The whole idea of pledging ones word or commit is not to pursue that which is contrary to ones word.
Again, avoid this ethical dilemma by not committing until you are willing to live with your pledge. His pursuit of another agenda, AFTER commit, is what shows lack of character.
As far as your trying to attack my character with that chicken little thing, that would require me caring if he goes to SU or not, but I could give a fat rats --- if he ever goes to SU or not. At this point I guess I would say cut bait and move on, but not my call.

What if a kid who was committed to Ped State came to visit SU? Would you be against him? What about Trill? Should we get rid of him because he was committed to that dump first?

This is a once and a life time decision for these kids and if I was their father I would recommend they take all the visits and experience everything they can.

College football is big business and kid get screwed everyday. They shouldn't be held to different standards. A college will dump a kid in a heart beat to recruit over him. Happens all the time.

The kid had been in contact with HCDB and he got permission to take the visits. Sounds like the kid has a good head on his shoulders to me.

Hey I get that but these kids are alot different than us. They are exposed to so many things these days. The general population of teenagers are like that despite being taught differently by their parents. I coach an dmy kids change their minds every other day lol. Some of them don't have the father at home to teach them about commitment. The things they see on social media, they are influenced by 7v7 coaches, other prospects at camp curcuits, 7v7 tourneys etc... They travel and do more unofficial visits way more than kids did in the 60's,70's, 80's and 90's. It was easier to stick to your word back then because you didnt see as much.

Everything you said is probably true, and I am sure many think this is an old outdated view. However, it does not change the fact that a man is only as good as his word and his willingness to stand by it. Eventually doing things contrary to this will somehow bite you in the posterior. It comes down to can you be trusted and can you trust others.
Society and life will degrade, and perhaps it already has, if we can no longer take most peoples word.

What if a kid who was committed to Ped State came to visit SU? Would you be against him? What about Trill? Should we get rid of him because he was committed to that dump first?

This is a once and a life time decision for these kids and if I was their father I would recommend they take all the visits and experience everything they can.

College football is big business and kid get screwed everyday. They shouldn't be held to different standards. A college will dump a kid in a heart beat to recruit over him. Happens all the time.

The kid had been in contact with HCDB and he got permission to take the visits. Sounds like the kid has a good head on his shoulders to me.

Confusing what was said, I never said he could not take visits before a commit. Dino as head coach can believe and do whatever, not my call.

Why is it so difficult for some on this board to understand, or is it that you are willing to do anything, accept anything, for just a chance of getting what you believe to be a talented player? I do not believe any unproven recruit is worth that, sorry. I do not care if he eventually goes to SU or not, but I believe Mark is right, I would look elsewhere, because this kid is, in my opinion, looking for somewhere else.

Confusing what was said, I never said he could not take visits before a commit. Dino as head coach can believe and do whatever, not my call.

Why is it so difficult for some on this board to understand, or is it that you are willing to do anything, accept anything, for just a chance of getting what you believe to be a talented player? I do not believe any unproven recruit is worth that, sorry. I do not care if he eventually goes to SU or not, but I believe Mark is right, I would look elsewhere, because this kid is, in my opinion, looking for somewhere else.

I kind of view Wallace flipping once he has a committable UGA offer as similar to this:

2-10-14-the-elephant-in-the-room2.jpg

That being said, I'm sure the staff has a plan in place so I'm not really worried about it.