Class of 2016 - LB Taylor Riggins (NY) Verbal to UMass | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 LB Taylor Riggins (NY) Verbal to UMass

Well this was a bad miss. Riggins ranked #4 on ESPNs list of top 10 returning edge defenders for this year.

Yes these are what I call misses. Guys that become all conference and make NFL camps. Not sure if Dino's staff thought of the possibility of him being a DE.

I don't think you can call it a miss. If he was at SU, he probably wouldn't have seen the field until maybe last year, and even then would have been stuck behind guys like Alton & Kendall.
We dont know how he would had developed at SU.

Fit, circumstance, and even some luck, play an awfully big factor in how well a player will do at a certain school.
Amba comes to mind. I doubt that the schools that he turned down, considered him a miss while at Maryland.

Fit, circumstance, and even some luck, play an awfully big factor in how well a player will do at a certain school.
Amba comes to mind. I doubt that the schools that he turned down, considered him a miss while at Maryland.
I agree but sometimes a person's character comes into play. How bad do they want it? How hard did Amba work on his hands? How hard did he learn the playbook and built chemistry with Dungey that summer? Those are the intangibles that are hard to evaluate. Especially for a prospect coming out of HS. Taylor had all of that. The issue was he was good at a lot of things but wasn't dominant at one position. That made it hard for coaches to determine how good he was. He got banged up his senior season too.

I don't think you can call it a miss. If he was at SU, he probably wouldn't have seen the field until maybe last year, and even then would have been stuck behind guys like Alton & Kendall.
Respectfully, this has to be categorized as a miss. For many reasons. And I love Dino and staff.

I doubt this was the primary reason, but “local” players (CNY, WNY) do appear to have a higher threshold to meet, especially in the early days of the Dino administration. It does not help that the coaching staff had no (or little) background with NYS.

Steven Mahar’s career at SU will provide an opportunity to change the narrative, as will Eric Coley’s, but his circumstance is slightly different for obvious reasons.