Class of 2016 - LB Taylor Riggins (NY) Verbal to UMass | Page 19 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 LB Taylor Riggins (NY) Verbal to UMass

I agree about the winning, disagree about the reach. Syracuse is a well known university with a good brand. But it's all relative vs ND, PSU in football.

Right, that's what I was getting at.

We certainly need to do a better job, in a lot of ways. But no matter how well we do it, it's a major uphill climb in today's college football to beat out ND, as well as PSU (but much harder for ND).

Our best bet is to have an identity that speaks to certain players. And that best bet, given the Dome over our heads in the northeast, is to have a high octane offense, led by someone with a reputation for delivering said offense.

We couldn't have made a much better hire than this.

If it fails, we'll learn so much from it. More than you learn from a Robinson or Shafer era.

Win baby win. Any freaking way we can. gimmicks, trick plays, don't care. Building up slowly and coaching "lesser talent," to compete with NFL lite teams like Clemson, LSU, and FSU wasn't getting it done. Hopefully Dino can run them out of the dome.
That quote is from Al Davis and was his philosophy and is what destroyed the Raiders.

Right, that's what I was getting at.

We certainly need to do a better job, in a lot of ways. But no matter how well we do it, it's a major uphill climb in today's college football to beat out ND, as well as PSU (but much harder for ND).

Our best bet is to have an identity that speaks to certain players. And that best bet, given the Dome over our heads in the northeast, is to have a high octane offense, led by someone with a reputation for delivering said offense.

We couldn't have made a much better hire than this.

If it fails, we'll learn so much from it. More than you learn from a Robinson or Shafer era.

Other than spending $5M to hire one of the best five coaches in the country the only realistic path back to success is to innovate and market our unique style. IF we're successful, the coach that got us there will be hired away but we need to continue the unique style until 1) defenses figure it out and/or 2) it becomes the new norm offense.

I agree that Dino Babers was the best hire we could have made. I really hope it's successful because if it's not I'm going to lose a lot of confidence that it can ever be turned around in today's college football environment.

money3189 said:
Basketball ans Lacrosse gives SU a brand. Football, you will be amazed of how many HS kids dont care about or acknowldege the football team. That needs to change. How do we do it?

Win.

But I was speaking about the university itself. If you live in NY state, you've heard of Syracuse University. If you follow sports you've heard of Syracuse University.

Ozcuse said:
The recruiting results/pecking order over the last 15 years show the validity of our reach. Colorado used to have a great football brand too, lot of good that does them.

It's no doubt the football brand is down. I thought you said kids in Rochester weren't aware of Syracuse University.

I hope I misunderstood.

It's no doubt the football brand is down. I thought you said kids in Rochester weren't aware of Syracuse University.

I hope I misunderstood.

Oh they're aware, there is just very little home state love or buzz. The revolving door of head and assistant coaches hurts too.

Oh they're aware, there is just very little home state love or buzz. The revolving door of head and assistant coaches hurts too.

Revolving door isn't any different than most other schools that might be looking at the same players. Revolving door in CFB is the norm.

Ozcuse said:

Yep. We are in agreement.

I honestly think Babers gets it done. Bowling next season with Dungey getting close to Nassib's 2012 numbers should get us closer

Revolving door isn't any different than most other schools that might be looking at the same players. Revolving door in CFB is the norm.

It's not good when you're a chronically bad team. There isn't confidence or track record that the coaching staff who wanted you will be there to develop you.

I'm not advocating for keeping coaches when they're not getting it done. I had to take many board timeouts because of my posts on Shafer.
We just need to find the next Art Briles/Nick Saban and then collect enough blackmail that they can never leave :)

It's not good when you're a chronically bad team. There isn't confidence or track record that the coaching staff who wanted you will be there to develop you.

I'm not advocating for keeping coaches when they're not getting it done. I had to take many board timeouts because of my posts on Shafer.
We just need to find the next Art Briles/Nick Saban and then collect enough blackmail that they can never leave :)

Definitely, I don't disagree with you at all.

Basketball and Lacrosse gives SU a brand. Football, you will be amazed of how many HS kids dont care about or acknowldege the football team. That needs to change. How do we do it?
The only way is to win, like Ben , and Mac did, P's 2 best years were his first 2, when he went 10-2 with Mac's players. The teams in McNabb's years underachieved, and we've gone downhill since.

Learned at the ov this past weekend that Bowling Green did not honor any of their recruits after Babers left. That explains him getting rid of all of Shafers in order to bring his in.

Learned at the ov this past weekend that Bowling Green did not honor any of their recruits after Babers left. That explains him getting rid of all of Shafers in order to bring his in.

We ended up taking like 3 guys previously committed to BGSU...

There were a lot of guys that decommitted from BGSU and didn't get SU offers. The staff realized they, like a lot of recruits from Shafer's class, weren't going to cut it if we wanted to succeed in the ACC.

That quote is from Al Davis and was his philosophy and is what destroyed the Raiders.
Actually, Syracuse alum Al Davis's quote was, "Just Win, Baby". You see it as the destruction of the Raiders, I see a team that won 3 Super Bowls in a 7 year period. I'm sure many teams would like to have a philosophy that destroyed them like that.

Yep. We are in agreement.

I honestly think Babers gets it done. Bowling next season with Dungey getting close to Nassib's 2012 numbers should get us closer
By next year do you mean the 2016 or the 2017 season? Personally, I see SU going 5-7 or at best, 6-6 this upcoming year. 2017, I could definitely see, despite our added road game to LSU.

SUFaninNJ said:
By next year do you mean the 2016 or the 2017 season? Personally, I see SU going 5-7 or at best, 6-6 this upcoming year. 2017, I could definitely see, despite our added road game to LSU.

Bowling in 2016. As long as Dungey is good to go all season.

Who are all these Bowling Green commits? Armstrong and Foster? That's 2

Actually, Syracuse alum Al Davis's quote was, "Just Win, Baby". You see it as the destruction of the Raiders, I see a team that won 3 Super Bowls in a 7 year period. I'm sure many teams would like to have a philosophy that destroyed them like that.
That quote was after their last Superbowl win . The era that it became the teams trademark has been awful.