Class of 2016 - LB Taylor Riggins (NY) Verbal to UMass | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 LB Taylor Riggins (NY) Verbal to UMass

I thought with Shafer and Daoust now being d-coordinators and still recruiting would potentially reach out
He reached out to Shafer. They like him but they have other LB's higher on their boards and they think they can get them. Taylor is a good raw player. He obviously needs coaching to develop. He doesnt have the film or regional prestige to attrack high level colleges this late in the process.

He reached out to Shafer. They like him but they have other LB's higher on their boards and they think they can get them. Taylor is a good raw player. He obviously needs coaching to develop. He doesnt have the film or regional prestige to attrack high level colleges this late in the process.
I think that's the part that stings- if u shut down recruiting and the spots get filled up you leave the kid few options. To continue the sales/marketing analogy one disgruntled customer will tell ten of their friends about a bad experience. In smallish towns like Rochester that outweighs much of the good we may have done for guys like Broyld-

BTW word im hearing is Cuse might not be keeping Holloway either. We all love New jersey players. State has alot of talent. Do some of you think its okay for Cuse to get rid of the Jersey commits too? We already got rid of one.

money3189 said:
BTW word im hearing is Cuse might not be keeping Holloway either. We all love New jersey players. State has alot of talent. Do some of you think its okay for Cuse to get rid of the Jersey commits too? We already got rid of one.

If the staff thinks that's what's best? Yep.

Anytime a kid commits to one staff and it's not honored by the new staff it sucks. I feel horrible for the kids and for their families.

Anytime a kid commits to a us and flips to a new school, I feel horrible for the coaches.

It's recruiting.

And I don't think the long term plan for NY or NJ is to abandon the states. Just think that this year they don't love the NY/NJ kids and don't have relationships with the kids who they do like. They are mining the areas and relationships they've already established. Which is smart.

Money, is a prep school like Milford an option to raise his profile / get more exposure?

I think that's ok to as long as we're getting better players. Holloway looks 200 lbs soaking wet so I wouldn't lose sleep. If it's between him and Jerrion Nelson a 240# Semper FI AA I'll take Nelson. Curious though, the staff has been down there to visit him. Why would they be dumping him now?

Has Riggins reached out to Ball State?

I think that's ok to as long as we're getting better players. Holloway looks 200 lbs soaking wet so I wouldn't lose sleep. If it's between him and Jerrion Nelson a 240# Semper FI AA I'll take Nelson. Curious though, the staff has been down there to visit him. Why would they be dumping him now?

Has Riggins reached out to Ball State?
Not that I know of. I will take Nelson too.

Money, is a prep school like Milford an option to raise his profile / get more exposure?
Milford is a good prep school that has a great track record of getting kids qualified

M

you have hit what I regard as the crux. Why does the concept of sales even apply? It is a problem that the residents of a state have to have their home state team sold to them. Period. Full stop. End of story.

And the problem is not with the school.
Home State team?
Yes those tapes are around. Im sure they wont look at them. Their minds were made up early in the proccess. Just think , they are only recruiting kids they already know. Culpepper and Neal was early enrollees so they had to take them. They wouldnt have been apart of this class If they werent IMO. Ruff was already being recruited by Monroe. Holloway Scoop and Heckel were the only commits they kept. They already had a relationship with Heckel. He had a BG offer

I agree and this is how I have thinking about the evaluations. I don't think this staff had a lot of time to evaluate kids that had previously committed. They had no personal contact with most of them prior to being hired by SU and in many cases these kids played in areas that are outside of their normal recruiting area. So they made a decision to go back to what and who they know. I think they kept Culpepper and Moe because they are early enrollees. Also Rex and Scoop are both in a territory, FL, that they do recruit and probably are very familiar with Plant. As you said Heckel they recruited at BGSU. Holloway is the only odd one. All the rest of the kids they are offering are ones that they have evaluated personally, they have a connection to the coaching staff or are familiar with the area they play and the competition level. All the others that had been committed to SU were unknowns that were "expendable".

I find two things interesting:

1. Babers is friendly with Bullough. So you would think if Bullough was high on the kid that Babers wouldn't disregard his input.

2. Wouldn't Daoust want to bring the kid in? Ball State only has 2 LB commits. They have a new HC. You would think there would be a trickle down effect where Riggins ends up there and some other commit gets shown the door.

I do think Shafer D kids are extremely small so it isn't a surprise that Babers might not want them.

I know the Jones family very well. The Greg Robinson staff treated their oldest son very bad. Matt Jones was a SU commit back in the mid 2000's but didnt qualify, Cuse staff did some things that I cant talk about. Wheatley was starting to improve their relationship. He would have got Jarron come to SU but there was too many beat dogs in his ear. larry Johnson who was at Penn st at the time, he is one of the best DL coaches and recruiter got a commitment from Jarron. Notre Dame jumped on him. Once he committed to ND is was over. Jarron was going to still take a official to SU but Brian Kelly told him not to. The Jones family bad experieces have snowballed into the AQ community, so there's a bad perception of SU football from them. I cant remember any AQ player going to SU, not within the last 15 years of their dominance. We are talking about a team that is currently the 16th ranked program in the country.
You have made some excellent points but I must say that national rankings for high school football are way way too subjective to cite as having any meaning. Does anyone truly think that Roch Aqu is the 16th best football team in the country?

not this late in the game - I think it's in extremely bad taste - if they'd given him time to find another home right after the switch, then not a problem, but to let him hang on this long and then dump him I'd be seriously disappointed

Not saying it's not true but it sounds like something someone is floating out there to get the kids attention and have him maybe reconsider Jersey State. Just saying.

You have made some excellent points but I must say that national rankings for high school football are way way too subjective to cite as having any meaning. Does anyone truly think that Roch Aqu is the 16th best football team in the country?
I mentioned the ranking just to express how dominate and how much respect AQ gets. Of course I dont think there the 16th best in the nation but there are teams in florida that are highly ranked that lose to unranked teams out of state too. I think its hard to ranked high school teams when they dont play a national schedule.

Really surprised Rutgers is not involved. They are having a horrendous recruiting year and desperately need players to fill out their class. Rochester has been an area that they have recruited hard for the last 10-15 years...

Really surprised Rutgers is not involved. They are having a horrendous recruiting year and desperately need players to fill out their class. Rochester has been an area that they have recruited hard for the last 10-15 years...

Rutgers has a whole new coaching staff that probably hasn't recruited Rochester at all similar to new SU staff.

Rutgers has a whole new coaching staff that probably hasn't recruited Rochester at all similar to new SU staff.
True. It is kind of the perfect storm for good players from Rochester to get shunned by P5 programs.

I feel bad for all these kids.

What are you talking about? ND and PSU have built that relationship over 30 years with schools in WNY, they don't just swoop in like you are intimating.

How many coaching staffs has ND had in the past 30 years? Would seem like a lot of rebuilding.

I think they swoop in.

They are ND.

We could move the Dome to Rochester. ND is still ND. We are still SU.

The fact that ND, with their revolving door of head coaches, can get any recruit to go to school in that hole, nothing to do town that might have weather worse than ours, tells you all you need to know about their brand versus the relationships they build.

How many coaching staffs has ND had in the past 30 years? Would seem like a lot of rebuilding.

I think they swoop in.

They are ND.

We could move the Dome to Rochester. ND is still ND. We are still SU.

The fact that ND, with their revolving door of head coaches, can get any recruit to go to school in that hole, nothing to do town that might have weather worse than ours, tells you all you need to know about their brand versus the relationships they build.

If the school name was Rochester University and the Dome was in Rochester I think it actually would make a difference- for Rochester kids only. Tell me, if this was an alternate reality and the University of Rochester was the D1 football program and not Cuse why would anyone outside of 45 minutes from Rochester care? That's what SU faces but we're too close to the situation to see it.

One of Syracuse's biggest obstacles is that it's a private school named after a medium size city in upstate NY with a very small geographic radius of influence. Prospects from Buffalo, Rochester, and NYC/LI hardly feel any sort of state pride for attending SU. Other than a handful of years in AD Gross's tenure, Syracuse has never been marketed to athletes as NY's team, it was marketed as an exclusive private school destination. That has helped us with students/prospects out of state but not in state.

Winning would help to raise some interest in those outlying areas but the reality is that we are a P5 school with no local/regional recruiting base. We have to recruit nationally out of necessity and where our coaches have previous connections.

I agree that brands sell schools to recruits/high schools and the ND and PSU brand have benefited for a long time from getting kids out of NY (this is not some new phenomenon) which has a mutual benefit of raising the profile of those high schools that are able to develop talent to go to those schools.

Syracuse needs to develop an identity and win games if it wants to break these cycles. The template is there, Baylor was in the same position and they quickly turned their offensive identity into a brand which allows them to compete with the very best for talent. We still probably won't become the destination of choice for all NY blue chippers but it will help us recruit better in NY/PA/NJ and nationally with the kids that fall in love with the style over the school.

Ozcuse said:
If the school name was Rochester University and the Dome was in Rochester I think it actually would make a difference- for Rochester kids only. Tell me, if this was an alternate reality and the University of Rochester was the D1 football program and not Cuse why would anyone outside of 45 minutes from Rochester care? That's what SU faces but we're too close to the situation to see it. One of Syracuse's biggest obstacles is that it's a private school named after a medium size city in upstate NY with a very small geographic radius of influence. Prospects from Buffalo, Rochester, and NYC/LI hardly feel any sort of state pride for attending SU. Other than a handful of years in AD Gross's tenure, Syracuse has never been marketed to athletes as NY's team, it was marketed as an exclusive private school destination. That has helped us with students/prospects out of state but not in state. Winning would help to raise some interest in those outlying areas but the reality is that we are a P5 school with no local/regional recruiting base. We have to recruit nationally out of necessity and where our coaches have previous connections. I agree that brands sell schools to recruits/high schools and the ND and PSU brand have benefited for a long time from getting kids out of NY (this is not some new phenomenon) which has a mutual benefit of raising the profile of those high schools that are able to develop talent to go to those schools. Syracuse needs to develop an identity and win games if it wants to break these cycles. The template is there, Baylor was in the same position and they quickly turned their offensive identity into a brand which allows them to compete with the very best for talent. We still probably won't become the destination of choice for all NY blue chippers but it will help us recruit better in NY/PA/NJ and nationally with the kids that fall in love with the style over the school.

I agree about the winning, disagree about the reach. Syracuse is a well known university with a good brand. But it's all relative vs ND, PSU in football.

I agree about the winning, disagree about the reach. Syracuse is a well known university with a good brand. But it's all relative vs ND, PSU in football.
Basketball and Lacrosse gives SU a brand. Football, you will be amazed of how many HS kids dont care about or acknowldege the football team. That needs to change. How do we do it?

Last edited:

The recruiting results/pecking order over the last 15 years show the validity of our reach.

Colorado used to have a great football brand too, lot of good that does them.

Basketball ans Lacrosse gives SU a brand. Football, you will be amazed of how many HS kids dont care about or acknowldege the football team. That needs to change. How do we do it?
Win baby win. Any freaking way we can. gimmicks, trick plays, don't care. Building up slowly and coaching "lesser talent," to compete with NFL lite teams like Clemson, LSU, and FSU wasn't getting it done. Hopefully Dino can run them out of the dome.