Class of 2016 - LB Tim Walton (MI) SIGNED LOI/Entered Transfer Portal | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 LB Tim Walton (MI) SIGNED LOI/Entered Transfer Portal

sutomcat said:
Guys like Black, Ruff and Walton, the big safeties, etc. are just fundamentally different players than the players Coach Shafer and his crew were going after. It is getting clear that we are going to have a powerful, physical defense that hits hard and is nasty. We might have problems against teams with 3 or 4 really fast WRs that spread the field but no one is going to beat this defense in a year or two with a simple power rushing attack.

Cough, BC, Cough

The next step is to start recruiting players who are big and fast.

Easier said than done, but that needs to be the goal.

I recall Shafer saying a few years ago that the difference between the Big East and ACC was that everyone was faster -- even the linemen.

Guys like Black, Ruff and Walton, the big safeties, etc. are just fundamentally different players than the players Coach Shafer and his crew were going after.

It is getting clear that we are going to have a powerful, physical defense that hits hard and is nasty. We might have problems against teams with 3 or 4 really fast WRs that spread the field but no one is going to beat this defense in a year or two with a simple power rushing attack.

Do you think that this is to complement the fast-paced offense? I must say that it was quite frustrating, especially during the USF game, when we could not get a stop on a very one-dimensional offense.

Going to be interesting to see how these things develop.

DETROIT -- There is now another Detroit area football recruit rejoining the ranks of the uncommitted, just over a week from national signing day.

Detroit Cass Tech three-star linebacker Tim Walton Jr. announced on Twitter today that he is no longer committed to the University of Illinois, the program he committed to back on Aug. 16, 2015. In the note he posted on Twitter, Walton sited that he came to the decision after "talking and praying with the people who mean the most" to him.

Although national signing day looms on Feb. 3, Walton may already have another school in mind. Walton's decommitment comes after visiting Syracuse this weekend, which, according to rumors made quite an impression on Walton. At their request, this network is being blocked from this site. reports that Walton is the third decommitment from Illinois in the last week.

Walton's father, Tim Walton Sr., played for the Detroit Lions, Cincinnati Bengals and Philadelphia Eagles in his playing days. Walton holds offers from various MAC schools as well, including Western Michigan and Eastern Michigan. He was also a member of the MLive Detroit Dream team this last fall.

Guys like Black, Ruff and Walton, the big safeties, etc. are just fundamentally different players than the players Coach Shafer and his crew were going after.

It is getting clear that we are going to have a powerful, physical defense that hits hard and is nasty. We might have problems against teams with 3 or 4 really fast WRs that spread the field but no one is going to beat this defense in a year or two with a simple power rushing attack.
I agree, the trend is very noticeable. The only thing that worries me is the lack of lateral quickness from both Ruff and Walton. Clifton Smith was a large dude but, for the most part, could cover sideline to sideline.

Hopefully some time with the new S&C crew will improve their overall quickness.

Isn't the last Walton we pulled out of Michigan a kid by the name of Winfred for hoops? I wonder if there is a relation.

Do you think that this is to complement the fast-paced offense? I must say that it was quite frustrating, especially during the USF game, when we could not get a stop on a very one-dimensional offense.

Going to be interesting to see how these things develop.

The Tampa-2 will make things difficult on teams playing from behind - who need to pass a lot. BGSU got a ton of INT with QB's facing a 14-21 pt deficit early in the game. This system does give up more yards and points - as the other team will get more possessions (due to us scoring so quickly). But unlike years past - if we get down 10 in the 4th Q, we won't be thinking there's 0% chance we comeback.

Isn't the last Walton we pulled out of Michigan a kid by the name of Winfred for hoops? I wonder if there is a relation.

Let's hope he doesn't take the same route Winfred did, he was on campus for about a week before academic issues started brewing.

Chicago44s said:
Let's hope he doesn't take the same route Winfred did, he was on campus for about a week before academic issues started brewing.

Igor and I were at a practice in Manley while Walton stood on the sidelines in street clothes. When practice was over, he grabbed a ball and went on the court and proceeded to sink about 15 straight 3's. No lie. Kid would have been a star here. All the disruptions and transferring hurt him and his future. He could have been Melo before Melo.

Igor and I were at a practice in Manley while Walton stood on the sidelines in street clothes. When practice was over, he grabbed a ball and went on the court and proceeded to sink about 15 straight 3's. No lie. Kid would have been a star here. All the disruptions and transferring hurt him and his future. He could have been Melo before Melo.
His problem was academic, right? Also, was he lazy? Did he act like he wanted to be out there and like he wanted to be at SU?

yup. I saw Winfred out in Detroit. The kid was a bonafid star.

So, instead of the Melo Center, we'd have a Wal-mart. ;)

is this dad?

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/WaltTi0.htm

coached at Syracuse in 2002

No, but his father did play pro football.

Tim Walton was a highly successful football player earning his college degree from Ball State University. He was All-Conference and the MAC Player of the Year his senior season for Ball State. Walton was signed to a professional contract following his collegiate career with the Detroit Lions of the NFL. After playing for the Lions, he was signed by the Cincinnati Bengals and Philadelphia Eagles. Walton played in the off-season with the San Antonio Riders of NFL Europe and was voted to the All-World team. After his NFL career ended, he continued to play professionally for the San Antonio Texans of the CFL. With the Texans, he was voted MVP and was selected to the All-World team for two seasons. After Walton's playing career, he founded Integrity Sports Pros, a sports advisement firm specializing in agent placement for college athletes. Within three years, Walton founded the full service sports representation firm, Integrity Sports Player Representation, Inc. Walton is a major contributor to community projects in the City of Detroit, helping establish Spatz, Inc., a shoe covering retail company providing inner city sporting teams with shoe covering for cleats. He is an executive committee member of the NFL Alumni, Detroit Chapter, the Detroit Lions Charity Board and serves on the Deacon Board for Dunamis Outreach Ministries, Inc. in Detroit, Michigan

Derrick Coleman agrees:

Coleman said Walton, who came to SU in the fall of 1996 but never played for the Orange, would have made the Detroit team unbeatable.

"Without question, Winfred Walton. Hands down,'' Coleman said. "He should've went pro right from high school. That's how much of a talent he was. I watched the kid grow up in Detroit and he reminded me of Billy (Owens). He was Carmelo before Carmelo and he was bigger than Carmelo. He could put it on the floor, shoot it, post. He could do it all.''

That class needed Walton early on. Rock Lloyd & LaSean Howard each were pretty good players but transferred. Etan Thomas & Jason Hart were solid players who developed into very good players by the time they left SU. Walton would have been the guy to take those NIT/early-exit SU teams from '96-99 to the next level.

Last edited:
Just for spits and giggles:

Land Reese, Walton, and Cooper - our Class would go from 57 (Scout) to probably low 40's (44?)

Add Killins and Matthewsand this class may crack top 40

Last edited:

Bees, I remember that 1996 McDonalds All American game and I was sold. He had 20 something points and was just crashing the boards. It was a cast of who's who of future NBA players. Kobe, Jermaine O'neal, Tim Thomas, Mike Bibby, Stephen Jackson----I think half of the players who played in that game played in the NBA.

Seems like once again someone jumped the gun before the kid had a chance to make the announcement.

I feel like we have been thoroughly reprimanded for the misdoings of our overzealous friends of the media. Please end this torture Tim. We've been patiently standing by and I need to see CL update your title to VERBALLED TO SYRACUSE.

It might - his HS was on lock down due to a shooting.

DETROIT - A lockdown has been lifted at Detroit's Cass Technical High School after a shooting in the area prompted school officials to initiate one.

District spokeswoman Michelle Zdrodowski said the school was put on lockdown as a precautionary measure.

Police are investigating the shooting.

Cass Tech is located in the 2500 block of 2nd Avenue, near the corner of Henry Street and Grand River Avenue.

Spot on.