Class of 2016 - LB Zachary Kastenhuber (CT) Verbal to Harvard | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 LB Zachary Kastenhuber (CT) Verbal to Harvard

Size, maybe? He might have the same kinds of problems that Siriki did who would often just get swallowed by the O-line.

I know I don't get paid to rate athletes. I also don't know what level of competition he is playing against, but that dude dominates every snap. He destroys OL many times without being touched, he has great ball skills in coverage, and always has his head on a swivel. Given his athletic stats, I can't even begin to imagine how good a football player he will become.

How is this kid not an "elite" prospect?

Also dude clearly wins at life as well.

Size, maybe? He might have the same kinds of problems that Siriki did who would often just get swallowed by the O-line.
Doubt that it's a size issue. Dude is 6-1 and solidly in the 225-230 range.

Doubt that it's a size issue. Dude is 6-1 and solidly in the 225-230 range.
That might not be ideal height, but I could give a crap if he's slightly under the ideal height (2 inches) the dude can ball and destroy people. I'd be plenty happy to have a guy who can decimate opposing OL like that going forwards. I know you guys are talking MLB, but man I'd want this dude rushing the QB an awful lot of snaps, just too valuable at beating tackles and finding his way to the QB.

Here's hoping his second stealth visit to SU leads us home and soon.

Jeke when are you planning to try and interview the super-jacked junior?

jekelish said:
The dude had 44 TFL last season in 10 games. That's absurd, no matter who you're playing against. He's a wrecking ball.

Runs a 4.65 time in the 40, has a 31" vertical, benches 410, squats 490, with a 5-10-5 shuttle time of 3.97

Also, wants to be a lawyer and owns and operates his own landscaping business while still in HS.

These Stats scream LB: fast, agile, strong, Quick directionally and smart... go get him shafe!

Last edited:
He plays OLB in a defense that is practically the same system that I ran in North Carolina. He is very technically sound. Great motor. Great tackling skill. He is a flat out stud. If he was playing in any other state - he would be a 4 star. No doubt in my mind. If he commits, he is one of the best gets thus far IMO.

TOS article gives the impression he might be thinking along the same lines as Colton Moskal. i.e. academics are more important to him then football.

I just feel like I should post his HUDL highlights again since the last time they were linked it was before they'd automatically embed, so people may not have watched:

The dude had 44 TFL last season in 10 games. That's absurd, no matter who you're playing against. He's a wrecking ball.

Runs a 4.65 time in the 40, has a 31" vertical, benches 410, squats 490, with a 5-10-5 shuttle time of 3.97 according to this profile: http://www.ncsasports.org/football-...ford/choate-rosemary-hall/zachary-kastenhuber

Also, wants to be a lawyer and owns and operates his own landscaping business while still in HS.

Love the clip at 2:20 mark, could care less about the fumble he just demolishes the QB! awesome!

Hoping Zachary commits soon for he reminds me of former Orange OLB Jaime Kimmel.

Reminder: Kastenhuber is deciding tomorrow. This will be a very interesting decision. Basically weighing down whether he wants to play P5 football, or prepare for life after football by pursuing an Ivy League education. It really is Colton Moskal v2.0...

By the way, if he DOES choose Harvard, I hope we can avoid meltdowns and realize that the decision is not an indictment of Syracuse football, it's simply a kid deciding life after football is more important to him than actual football.

Last edited:
Reminder: Kastenhuber is deciding tomorrow. This will be a very interesting decision. Basically weighing down whether he wants to play P5 football, or prepare for life after football by pursuing an Ivy League education. It really is Colton Moskal v2.0...
Well, isn't that what grad school's for?!??!

A Syracuse degree and a masters from Yale would be a nice way to go, I'd say.

Well, isn't that what grad school's for?!??!

A Syracuse degree and a masters from Yale would be a nice way to go, I'd say.
Honestly that's what I'm thinking, and hoping he realizes, but I won't fault the kid for picking an Ivy League education when he's as academically inclined as Kastenhuber is.

Because the Ivies don't give out athletic scholarships I am sure that will have to be weighed in his decision.

They give out " academic" scholarships.

No.

http://www.ivyleaguesports.com/information/psa/index

FINANCIAL AID CRITERIA Ivy League schools provide financial aid to students, including athletes, only on the basis of financial need as determined by each institution’s Financial Aid Office. There are no academic or athletic scholarships in the Ivy League. A coach may assist a prospective student-athlete to obtain an estimated financial aid award, however only the Financial Aid Office has the authority to determine financial aid awards and to notify students officially of their actual or estimated awards.

From the Ivy League sports website:

"Ivy League schools provide financial aid to students, including athletes, only on the basis of financial need as determined by each institution’s Financial Aid Office. There are no academic or athletic scholarships in the Ivy League. A coach may assist a prospective student-athlete to obtain an estimated financial aid award, however only the Financial Aid Office has the authority to determine financial aid awards and to notify students officially of their actual or estimated awards."

And not for nothin' but, come on, "Kastenhuber" sounds like such a middle linebacker name.
Maybe it's reminiscent of TOSU's old MLB Andy Katzenmoyer

Yes... Trust me. They know how to work around that.
This has been true for athletes in general for years. Recently, schools like Harvard began to advertise "free tuition" to all students who exhibit "financial need". This only makes the loophole bigger.

This has been true for athletes in general for years. Recently, schools like Harvard began to advertise "free tuition" to all students who exhibit "financial need". This only makes the loophole bigger.

See Adonal Foyle at Colgate .. they know how to get around these things. I know Colgate isn't an Ivy but they don't do athletic scholarships either.

See Adonal Foyle at Colgate .. they know how to get around these things. I know Colgate isn't an Ivy but they don't do athletic scholarships either.
Different circumstance here as his legal guardians worked there if I am correct

Different circumstance here as his legal guardians worked there if I am correct

They did but he was not entitled to go there for free .. there were a lot of dirty politics involved in his recruitment ... he chose Colgate over SU, Duke and a bevy of others ...

Why not do both? Syracuse to play football as an undergrad and then Harvard grad school. You can do it Zach!

Yes... Trust me. They know how to work around that. I was being a bit facetious with my comment.
Yeah I know someone that got a full ride to an ivy because they played a sport that wouldn't have for need based aid.