Lemoyne | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Lemoyne

I was watching Julia Roberts on Colbert the other night. She described the filming of her new movie "Ben is back", saying "We were in upstate New York". I wondered if they'd filmed anywhere near Syracuse. here is the Wikipedia page: Ben Is Back - Wikipedia

New City, Sloatsburg, Garnerville, and Haverstraw. The first three towns are in Rockland County, the last in Orange County. That's their idea of "upstate". To me the Hudson River area is a tributary of New York City and Upstate is everything to the west. Upstate is really more of a Midwestern area, economically and demographically.

When I worked for the Social Security office downtown, I had occasion to call someone in SSA's headquarters in Baltimore, wondering why they hadn't done something yet that would have gotten a beneficiary some much-needed money. The person I talked to was put off by my impatience and said to a co-worker "I should have known- he's from New York." She obviously thought that all of New York State was like New York City. She gave some excuse and I told her, "I should have known-you're from Baltimore." Maybe I do have a little of the Big Apple in me...
I know. I’m in Florida and when I say
I’m from NY I say not from the NYC metro area

...She gave some excuse and I told her, "I should have known-you're from Baltimore." Maybe I do have a little of the Big Apple in me...

tenor.gif

I’m near poughkeepsie and when people refer to here as upstate it’s a real shocker. If this is upstate then what ya Syracuse? Upperstate??? Sheesh. It’s upstate to people like that because they don’t go past Rhinebeck, hudson, etc.

When I was attending SU, my Sr year roommate was from Lawn Guyland.
I grew up in Westchester, near White Plains - which he referred to as "upstate". :rolleyes:

For people from LI, anything from Yonkers and north is apparently "upstate".

I always thought it was divided into two:
"The City"
"Bunch of Hicks"

Upstate NY is everything north of NYC and is further subdivided by regions such as central NY, Western NY, the southern tier, the capital district, the Finger Lakes Region and others.

That is the most common and widely accepted definition.

You may not like it but you should learn to live with it because that's the way it is, and it's not likely to change.
The most widely accepted, that is by the number of people who believe it, is that upstate is Rockland and Westchester County. :)

Rockland county is acceptable as Upstate according to my city dwelling brother(since 1994), but Westchester is most definitely not.

I grew up in Armonk (northern Westchester County). When I was at SU, the NYC kids referred to Armonk as upstate. The upstate kids referred to Armonk as downstate. I guess it is all a matter of perspective.

I’m from Staten Island, which is as south as it gets in NY state. Anything north of Union Square is upstate. The Bronx might as well be Canada. Upstate - polar bears, penguins and Jim Boeheim.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom