Let’s put away all the “fire everybody” and “hire Tressel” posts for a moment... | Syracusefan.com

Let’s put away all the “fire everybody” and “hire Tressel” posts for a moment...

Crusty

Living Legend
... and see if we can sort through a few things in a rational way (new concept).

Let’s keep in mind that, as they say, 90% of college coaching is recruiting. While that old saw is somewhat exaggerated, it has a great deal of truth.

The first question is, “What is a fair period in which to evaluate a Head Coach, a coordinator and a position coach?”

Head Coach
Must be long enough for the coach to have the chance to play with players he recruited.
Must be long enough for the coach to hire a staff and to make adjustments.

Coordinator
Must be long enough to let him install and teach his system.
Must be long enough to recruit players that fit his system.

Position Coach
Must be long enough to see improvement in his players.

Current Roster
I think a fair analysis is that while we certainly have a good roster of D-1 players we may not have enough players capable of playing in the ACC.
  1. We have only one receiver – Broyld – that gets open consistently. In other words only one ACC caliber receiver.
  2. We have a competitive O Line – certainly not dominant but competitive.
  3. We have a good stable of running backs – probably all ACC quality.
  4. We have a good quality D Line probably at least average for the ACC.
  5. We have good Line Backers – can play in the ACC
  6. The secondary may have two players that are ACC quality, the rest are probably not.
  7. Special Teams – spotty. No FG kicker, pretty good punter, lousy kick blocking, average kick coverage, pretty good kick return.
Recruiting
Last year’s class imploded and we had to scramble to fill the class. Got some good ones – lost some better ones. This year the coaches have done a good job of getting commits from skill players. No complaints there. They are working hard on D backs so they are trying hard to fix that problem.

I don’t see how we can complain about the effort here and we are finally getting some interesting skill players. Recruiting is a bright spot.

The Staff
IMO, Shafer had to scramble to hire a staff and get guys in here in time to try to salvage the recruiting class. He went to guys he knew because he did not have the luxury of time to do otherwise. However, as HC he will need to pull the trigger on coaches that are not cutting it.

Position Coaches
I looks to me that we have at least 3 keepers, 3 don’t knows and one on the hot seat.
  1. Holdover Defensive Line/Asst HC – Tim Daoust. Has done a good job – keeper.
  2. New Offensive Line - Pat Perles. Has done a good job with the O Line. Looks like a keeper? Anyone disagree?
  3. New Line Backers – Clark Lea. Seems as if LB play has been strong so far this season but we also have experienced players. At least fair to say he has not done a bad job. Just don’t know anything beyond that. Anyone with thoughts here?
  4. New QB/Recruiting Coordinator – Tim Lester. Haven’t got a clue. Seems like the real deal but no real success thus far. Good job as recruiting coordinator. Anyone know anything here?
  5. Holdover Wide Receivers - Rob Moore. Proven entity with poor material to work with this year. Rob is a keeper.
  6. New Defensive Backs - Fred Reed. This looks like a weakness. The DB play has been very poor with blown assignments through more than mid-season. This is certainly one coach on the hot seat. Am I wrong here?
  7. New RB Coach - DeAndre Smith. Because of our strength and depth it is hard to say what he has added. Anyone have a strong opinion?
Coordinators

OC – George McDonald. The best thing I can say is that he is a work in progress. He seems to be the real deal in recruiting so I am willing to be more patient. He does not have the players to execute his offense. Next year will be important to his career.

DC – Chuck Bullough. If he wasn't on the hot seat before this week, he sure must be now. I am trying not to over react because Shafer picked him so he must see something in him and his D Backs coach has failed him. The most disturbing thing has been the nutty plan against the triple option and the refusal to change during the game. I am very alarmed and concerned.

Summary

IMO Shafer needs a total of three years to have a fair chance. But he must make the tough decisions after the season is over. If he doesn't, it might shorten the patience of everybody and cost himself his job.

One or more position coaches might have to be replaced.

McDonald is safe for at least another year.

Bullough won’t be able to survive another massacre. He has not shown much to have anyone overlook the bad games.

You can never fire a coach after 7 games unless your an icon school like USC. And in a developmental school like SU HCSS has 3 1/2 years to prove himself.

He did make a strategic mistake by hiring friends over finding really experienced OC & DC with major experience at those positions. It will make his length of stay more difficult.

he went for comfort hires - not the best man for the job

he better grow as a coach real fast or it will be a short stay in the leaders chair

In a perfect world, Shafer would have called Bullough this morning to give him the bad news. While it's tempting to say the same for McDonald, there is nobody to replace him. Could Lester fill in? Hardly. He hasn't proven that he can coach up a QB, much less handle an entire offense. And, there is McDonald's recruiting that has to be considered. So, it would appear that Shafer has to dive in and closely oversee the offensive game plan. But, what value can he really add here?

And in a developmental school like SU HCSS has 3 1/2 years to prove himself.

This no longer applies. Schools like Colorado are bailing after 2 years nowadays (and rightfully so). If it quacks like a duck, walks like a duck, its an duck. We should know this better than anybody having to sit through 4 long years of one of the worst head coaches to ever walk the face of the earth. We'll know by the end of year 2 (at the latest) whether or not we have a coach we can win with. Certainly not off to a rousing start.

... and see if we can sort through a few things in a rational way (new concept).

Let’s keep in mind that, as they say, 90% of college coaching is recruiting. While that old saw is somewhat exaggerated, it has a great deal of truth.

The first question is, “What is a fair period in which to evaluate a Head Coach, a coordinator and a position coach?”

Head Coach
Must be long enough for the coach to have the chance to play with players he recruited.

Coordinator

Position Coach

Current Roster
I think a fair analysis is that while we certainly have a good roster of D-1 players we may not have enough players capable of playing in the ACC.
  1. We have only one receiver – Broyld – that gets open consistently. In other words only one ACC caliber receiver.
  6. The secondary may have two players that are ACC quality, the rest are probably not.
  7. Special Teams – spotty. No FG kicker, pretty good punter, lousy kick blocking, average kick coverage, pretty good kick return.
Recruiting
Last year’s class imploded and we had to scramble to fill the class. Got some good ones – lost some better ones. This year the coaches have done a good job of getting commits from skill players. No complaints there. They are working hard on D backs so they are trying hard to fix that problem.

I don’t see how we can complain about the effort here and we are finally getting some interesting skill players. Recruiting is a bright spot.

The Staff
IMO, Shafer had to scramble to hire a staff and get guys in here in time to try to salvage the recruiting class. He went to guys he knew because he did not have the luxury of time to do otherwise. However, as HC he will need to pull the trigger on coaches that are not cutting it.

Position Coaches
I looks to me that we have at least 3 keepers, 3 don’t knows and one on the hot seat.
  2. New Offensive Line - Pat Perles. Has done a good job with the O Line. Looks like a keeper? Anyone disagree?
  3. New Line Backers – Clark Lea. Seems as if LB play has been strong so far this season but we also have experienced players. At least fair to say he has not done a bad job. Just don’t know anything beyond that. Anyone with thoughts here?
  4. New QB/Recruiting Coordinator – Tim Lester. Haven’t got a clue. Seems like the real deal but no real success thus far. Good job as recruiting coordinator. Anyone know anything here?
  5. Holdover Wide Receivers - Rob Moore. Proven entity with poor material to work with this year. Rob is a keeper.
  6. New Defensive Backs - Fred Reed. This looks like a weakness. The DB play has been very poor with blown assignments through more than mid-season. This is certainly one coach on the hot seat. Am I wrong here?
  7. New RB Coach - DeAndre Smith. Because of our strength and depth it is hard to say what he has added. Anyone have a strong opinion?
Coordinators

OC – George McDonald. The best thing I can say is that he is a work in progress. He seems to be the real deal in recruiting so I am willing to be more patient. He does not have the players to execute his offense. Next year will be important to his career.

DC – Chuck Bullough. If he wasn't on the hot seat before this week, he sure must be now. I am trying not to over react because Shafer picked him so he must see something in him and his D Backs coach has failed him. The most disturbing thing has been the nutty plan against the triple option and the refusal to change during the game. I am very alarmed and concerned.

Summary

IMO Shafer needs a total of three years to have a fair chance. But he must make the tough decisions after the season is over. If he doesn't, it might shorten the patience of everybody and cost himself his job.

Bullough won’t be able to survive another massacre. He has not shown much to have anyone overlook the bad games.
Are the position coaches good/bad because the players good/bad, or vice versa, or a combination of both. Having a guy like Bromley can make everyone better on the DL. Or are the DB's only a problem, or part of a bigger problem with the DC, Bullough. I would imagine a position coach is more concerned with technique, but the OC/DC determines scheme

I really don't think he had much time to do anything else. It is hard for a new HC to get coaches to take a chance on him. We were obviously restocking talent after losing Ryan and Justin etc and virtually all of the staff and janitors had gone to Buffalo. Not that many marketable coaches ready to take that kind of chance.

Here are my issues,

1- Although I agree that a head coach really needs to be given 3-4 years to recruit his players and the such, we cant have another 3-4 year period of GROB. If that happens, it is entirely possible we will never come back from that (okay, maybe I'm going overboard with that assessment, but I just cant go through another 3-4 year period of the GROB years.)

2- Good coaches make adjustments and schemes that fit players to compete. Yesterday, we did not compete. (I think GT just gained another 15 yards on the ground). I would agree that our skill level is not up to par, but as I said, good coaches find a way to win or at least compete with less skilled players. We constantly have breakdowns on offense and defense, that is a huge cause for concern. We have been blown out with no shot to win in 3 games now. This is totally inexcusable. I could possible see 1, maybe 2 blow outs, it happens. Sometimes things just don't go your way, but for it to happen 3 times? This is becoming a trend, and less of a anomaly. I think it says something about the staff.

In a perfect world, Shafer would have called Bullough this morning to give him the bad news. While it's tempting to say the same for McDonald, there is nobody to replace him. Could Lester fill in? Hardly. He hasn't proven that he can coach up a QB, much less handle an entire offense. And, there is McDonald's recruiting that has to be considered. So, it would appear that Shafer has to dive in and closely oversee the offensive game plan. But, what value can he really add here?

Shafer can't do that right now. The last thing he needs is more turmoil. If he fires a coach mid-season what does that say to potential candidate? He has to be careful here. Best he can do is get hands on like DM did with ST. He has to get involved in the DC's business.

Are the position coaches good/bad because the players good/bad, or vice versa, or a combination of both. Having a guy like Bromley can make everyone better on the DL. Or are the DB's only a problem, or part of a bigger problem with the DC, Bullough. I would imagine a position coach is more concerned with technique, but the OC/DC determines scheme

You have a valid point about talent - players can make coaches look like geniuses or fools.
However, the D Backs coach is responsible for having his guys know their assignments. He is the one who holds the position meetings and review the film. I really don't think out guys are that bad other than #9 on pass D. I certainly could be wrong.

Here are my issues,

1- Although I agree that a head coach really needs to be given 3-4 years to recruit his players and the such, we cant have another 3-4 year period of GROB. If that happens, it is entirely possible we will never come back from that (okay, maybe I'm going overboard with that assessment, but I just cant go through another 3-4 year period of the GROB years.)

2- Good coaches make adjustments and schemes that fit players to compete. Yesterday, we did not compete. (I think GT just gained another 15 yards on the ground). I would agree that our skill level is not up to par, but as I said, good coaches find a way to win or at least compete with less skilled players. We constantly have breakdowns on offense and defense, that is a huge cause for concern. We have been blown out with no shot to win in 3 games now. This is totally inexcusable. I could possible see 1, maybe 2 blow outs, it happens. Sometimes things just don't go your way, but for it to happen 3 times? This is becoming a trend, and less of a anomaly. I think it says something about the staff.

Fair enough. Do you think it is mostly on the coordinators?

Can debate a lot of what is in the OP, though I would not make snap judgments about the coaching staff. How we do in November will tell the story

Some issues with the summary:

Head coach -- if brought in from the outside, might need 3 years to work with players he recruited. Shafer was a big part of recruiting the players on this defense, and 3 blow outs aren't all on his assistants.

Linebackers -- other than Spruill (and Davis who is out), our guys yesterday did not look like ACC linebackers. Kirkland has some good qualities, but he would not be starting for any other ACC team. Hodge is a true frosh with potential -- would not be starting for other teams at this stage of his career.

Defensive ends -- we don't have a speed rusher, and don't have one so far in the recruiting for 2014.

Coach of WRs -- Moore gets a pass? He is an SU legend, but he hasn't recruited, and it is difficult to say positive things about this year's bunch. I do give him credit for the development of Lemon & Sales.

Recruiting -- starting to come around, but are we competing well with BC, Pitt & Rutgers? Maybe. A lot depends on what happens with the 8 or 10 slots still to be filled.

Fair enough. Do you think it is mostly on the coordinators?

I really have no idea, it would be interesting to see what happens at the end of the year and how/if Shafer responds. Its concerning that Bullough has already been fired (UCLA) for having a bad defense. I did not understand why they decided it would be a good idea to use a completely different scheme for one game yesterday. There have also been countless breakdowns in the secondary. I dont know if I would put this on the position coach or the defensive coordinator, but regardless it is completely unacceptable. With McD, he has started to adjust, running more and utilizing Smith more than gulley. These have been positive changes, but he has some perplexing play calls at times. Then the penalties and miscues, for example having to use a timeout on 4th and 9 because you dont have your punt team out there or use a timeout because your players set up for a punt on 3rd and long (clemson game). These are things that I have never seen happen before. Again, I can understand this stuff happening once due to being a first time head coach, but these things are happening on a consistent basis every single game. It is becoming quiet concerning.

I want Scott to succeed, but if it is obvious that he won't by the middle of next season we have to cut the cord. He didn't inherit a complete rebuild. At this point SU has the facilities and money to a proven coach from the American or MAC. Also would like to let Jeff Hafley name his price to come here once Schiano is fired.

One bright spot is recruiting. That alone might buy Shafer a third year as long as be holds his staff accountable.

I recall Marrone going through growing pains his first year; game management, clock management, etc. He eventually got better. I suspect Shafer will as well.

The thing with Marrone was that he was willing to boot his good friend Spence after the first season. It will be very interesting to see if Shafer has the ice water too and is willing to boot his buddy Bullough after one season.

Great post. I agree that daoust, perles, and Lea appear to have done the best job as position coaches. I would throw smith in there too. I would not kick Moore to the curb. Recruiting has been an issue but he did wonders with lemon and sales last year. I think he is a good teacher who is a syracuse guy. Do not need a staff filled with theses but I think you need 1 or 2 (agreed with letting Conley go a few years ago because the backers were underperforming). Secondary and defensive game planning has been a nightmare. Robbins and bullough need to stop doing what they are currently doing because it is not working. Would be shafers job (former d coordinator and secondary coach) to step in during the off week. Maybe even turn over some of the behind the scene head coaching responsibilities to your associate head coach Timmy daoust.

Don't know what to think with the offense. If McDonald is a good recruiter then he should be kept. Play calling has been an issue though without any discernible rhythm to the game plan. I would like the to realize one thing. They certainly have an offensive vision. We do not have the QB nor the WR to pull of said vision. Would like them to Kay our strengths for the rest of the year and put Rome and PTG on the field at the same time. Loved the Lester hire initially (QB coach who played QB, play caller in the past) but have not been too impressed with him.

a number of issues need to be addressed and in time we will see how HCSS addresses each.
Should Clemson start a coaching shakeup after what FSU did to them yesterday?
HCSS must be given the rest of the season to see how he addresses these issues. The sky is not falling yet and it's ways too early to anoint him GRob 2

Can debate a lot of what is in the OP, though I would not make snap judgments about the coaching staff. How we do in November will tell the story

Head coach -- if brought in from the outside, might need 3 years to work with players he recruited. Shafer was a big part of recruiting the players on this defense, and 3 blow outs aren't all on his assistants.

Linebackers -- other than Spruill (and Davis who is out), our guys yesterday did not look like ACC linebackers. Kirkland has some good qualities, but he would not be starting for any other ACC team. Hodge is a true frosh with potential -- would not be starting for other teams at this stage of his career.

Defensive ends -- we don't have a speed rusher, and don't have one so far in the recruiting for 2014.

Coach of WRs -- Moore gets a pass? He is an SU legend, but he hasn't recruited, and it is difficult to say positive things about this year's bunch. I do give him credit for the development of Lemon & Sales.

Recruiting -- starting to come around, but are we competing well with BC, Pitt & Rutgers? Maybe. A lot depends on what happens with the 8 or 10 slots still to be filled.

Some good points there.
I thought about your point with Shafer having been here and it is a valid one.

I think the scheme had a lot to do with the LB's watching the game yesterday instead of attacking - they were not prepared.

If you read what some of the recruits are saying Rob Moore is a part of their decision. That and his past performance is why I gave him a pass.
Thanks for your thoughts.

a number of issues need to be addressed and in time we will see how HCSS addresses each.
Should Clemson start a coaching shakeup after what FSU did to them yesterday?
HCSS must be given the rest of the season to see how he addresses these issues. The sky is not falling yet and it's ways too early to anoint him GRob 2
texas did

also clemson isnt 3-4 with 3 blowouts

next someone will post about how mac did his first year so shafer gets a free pass

Spot on... Especially since, we now have league stability, a new indoor practice facility, etc. to sell. If we can't bring in kids now, as a result of us losing games 56-0, thats on the coaches. I don't buy the attendence thing hurting moreso than the issues presented and nearly all of them have been addressed. If we win, people will come. We simply can't get beat that badly and expect fair weather fans to ever come back... Stinks, but it's reality.

Head Coach

Coordinator

Position Coach

Current Roster
Recruiting

The Staff

Position Coaches
Coordinators

Summary

Good post. A couple comments

-I disagree about our current recruiting. it needs to be stepped up. When you see schools like BC, who also has a new HC, and imo far less talent succeeding both on the field and on the recruiting trail it makes you wonder. While I agree HCSS needs at least 2 years, our recruiting needs to be stepped up. There are some red flags in that area that are really worrisome. Not only are we going away from what has worked here in the past, but it doesn't look like we are adapting well to what the recruiting process has become, but that's another topic for another day.

As for staff
-Daoust does an excellent job and is a very strong recruiter. Definitely a keeper
-Perles has done a good job. Keeper
-Lea came in with a great reputation (believe he was LB coach of year last season?) Definitely keeper
-Lester has shown to be a good recruiter and arguably doesn't have much to work with. Plus he is our connection to Illinois. Keeper
-Moore - Hate to say it, but this needs to be a position coach who is one of your strongest recruiter and he has shown he can't get the job done. Throw in the horrid performance from our wr's this year and it may be time to part ways. We desperately need a downstate/NJ guy. IMO Moore is a good WR coach, but is probably better suited for the NFL.
-Reed, never knew much about him, but with the talent we have in the secondary we should be performing far better. Could be replaced
-Smith seems like a strong recruiter and another Illiinois connection. Keeper

-McDonald i am giving a pass. Other then RB, and some OL talent we have a glaring talent deficiency on that side of the ball. He is bringing in some weapons next season, and is a strong recruiter with ties to So Florida that we desperately need. I'd like to see him offense once we have some playmakers. Keeper
-Bullough not sure how he was qualified in first place. Even with good talent we are performing at an almost embarrassing level. Even with better talent I still can't seem him ever succeeding. Needs to go at the end of the season

Like you said 90% of coaching is recruiting so we need to have as many strong recruiters as assistants as possible. Also if it's possible to add to your support staff that could help in that area. Eric White does a great job at his position, but we need a couple more of him. I am sure he's not making a killing, and his cost is well worth it to the program. If we can afford to pay our winter sports so much maybe we can find a way to free up some money to help the support staff?
-

Head Coach

Coordinator

Position Coach

Current Roster
Recruiting

The Staff

Position Coaches
Coordinators

Summary

Strong post. At Syracuse we inevitably have people in important positions who are learning on the job. Marrone's departure with Hackett left us starting over again at a critical juncture. Any coach needs at least what we gave G-Rob. To fire the coach before that would make good coaches less willing to come ehre. Besides, we'd have to start over again-again. Who wants to do that?

If it looks like Shafer is failing before that he's going to have make some tough decisions on his coordinators. Marrone did that and things got better. We don't seem to have a "system" yet on either side of the ball. I'm still hopeful Shafer can be a success here but far from sure of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom