Let’s speculate on the future | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Let’s speculate on the future

Basketball has two transfer portal windows: the first window lasting from Dec. 1-15 and the second being a 45-day window that starts the day after championship selections.

That's March 13-April 27.

Players who wish to declare "early entry" for the NBA Draft have to declare their intentions by April 22.

You'll know before May 1 who's leaving and who's staying. You may not know by then who's transferring in.
Can players withdraw their names after April 22?

Can players withdraw their names after April 22?

If they change their minds, they have until June 12 to withdraw from the draft.

• April 23: NBA Early Entry Eligibility Deadline (11:59 p.m. ET)
  • June 12: NBA Draft Early Entry Entrant Withdrawal Deadline (5 p.m. ET)
  • June 22: NBA Draft 2023 presented by State Farm

Last edited:
I think we are good next year with the right hire if the AD acts appropriately.

But there is absolutely NOTHING between the teams in the top half of the ACC this year bar maybe UVA. We are right there in the mix with them and not that bad at 9-7. The possibility of going in the other direction and getting worse is real. And its what I would expect happens if Mintz leaves an assistant gets the job or JB stays and we run it back with the current roster

If they change their minds, they have until June 12 to withdraw from the draft.
Thanks. So we really may not know the roster by May 1 who’s transferring in or if someone pulls out of the draft?

Thanks. So we really may not know the roster by May 1 who’s transferring in or if someone pulls out of the draft?

Correct.

I'd expect Judah to at least explore the process, but that puts Syracuse in a bind.

Do we assume that he's gone and replace him from the portal, or do we hold his spot for him and possibly screw ourselves.

Next season scares me a ton. We’ll likely lose Jesse, Judah, Benny, and Joe (and maybe Chris Bell with how he’s being treated right now.)

Without any 2023 recruit this makes us a bottom three team in the ACC. If you think it can’t get worse under Boeheim, you’re in for a ride until he’s gone.
Judah, Jesse and/or Joe could easily come back. And honestly, as long as Judah comes back, we can build a good team around him through what’s on the roster now and some portal players.

Last edited:
Correct.

I'd expect Judah to at least explore the process, but that puts Syracuse in a bind.

Do we assume that he's gone and replace him from the portal, or do we hold his spot for him and possibly screw ourselves.
You don’t assume anything. Get talent. The days on waiting for players is over. Loyalty has to be a two way street.

ADJW supposedly told someone I’m close to that he expects to have a contender in 2024…..nothing on who the coach will be then though.
2024 as in next year, or 2024-2025?

Got it. Amazing to me that in this landscape anyone thinks they can count on something two years out, especially with the uncertainty of the coaching situation. As someone else pointed out, if the coaching situation is decided, why is it being held onto like some sort of national security secret?

Because it hasn't been decided.

- Ranked in the Top 25 — post-JAB+ 2 years with an outsider/+5 years with Red
- Wins the ACC regular season — 2032
- Wins the ACC tournament — 2028
- Makes the NCAA tournament — 2023
- Makes the Sweet 16 — 2026
- Makes the Final Four —2030
- Wins the National Championship — 2032
- (bonus) Wins 25 and 30 games in a season — 2032, 2033
Point of clarification here - you think SU makes the NCAA tournament this year or in the 23/24 season?

You really have to wonder how many guys on the team are already thinking Jesse and Joe are gone and that's 2 of our 3 best players. Judah especially. If I want to play in the NCAAT maybe I need to explore transfer options to a program I know is highly likely to be an NCAAT team next season. That would leave us trying to build a team mostly from the portal.

It will now be 2 straight years, and 3 out of 4 that we weren't even good enough to justify a Bubble Watch. Makes me feel useless.

You did such an excellent job with this, and it was always a lot of fun to follow and much appreciated.

Alsacs was also great at doing the team color coded seedings/match-ups in all its fluidity relative to the ACC tournament as well too.

This time of year had always been one of my favorite...major bummer nowadays. :(

You really have to wonder how many guys on the team are already thinking Jesse and Joe are gone and that's 2 of our 3 best players. Judah especially. If I want to play in the NCAAT maybe I need to explore transfer options to a program I know is highly likely to be an NCAAT team next season. That would leave us trying to build a team mostly from the portal.
I’m not sure it’s all about winning now. It’s about how much money can I make.

Point of clarification here - you think SU makes the NCAA tournament this year or in the 23/24 season?
Oops. I probably forgot we were already in ‘23. I meant next year. Thanks.

And that’s with fingers crossed that something miraculous happens—the right players stay and we add someone of impact via the portal. I don’t believe that will happen, but I think it could, so next year would be the earliest.

You did such an excellent job with this, and it was always a lot of fun to follow and much appreciated.

Alsacs was also great at doing the team color coded seedings/match-ups in all its fluidity relative to the ACC tournament as well too.

This time of year had always been one of my favorite...major bummer nowadays. :(

I felt even better when we were arguing about which pod we would end up in round #1 -- what do we need to do to get to Buffalo, Albany, Boston, etc in the first round.

I felt even better when we were arguing about which pod we would end up in round #1 -- what do we need to do to get to Buffalo, Albany, Boston, etc in the first round.
Ironically when we do return to that level of discussion I doubt pods will matter anymore. It’s a nice talking point but as far as chances to advance it’s just about matchups. Location matters more for fans who want to make the trip.

We always hear about playing Oklahoma at Albany in 2003 but feel like we could’ve easily taken them at their home stadium or even in Sampson’s bedroom.

If we implode this year is there a better chance Mintz stays or goes?
i.e. did players declare early (Donté, MCW, Ennis, Flynn, etc) because we were good, or because they only wanted 1-2 years?
(I could also toss Melo into that bucket)

If we implode this year is there a better chance Mintz stays or goes?
i.e. did players declare early (Donté, MCW, Ennis, Flynn, etc) because we were good, or because they only wanted 1-2 years?
(I could also toss Melo into that bucket)

Donte was not on a good team, so he doesn't really apply like the other 3.

As for the other 3 - I think our being good in the years they left certainly didn't hurt their prospect value, and ambition to leave, it probably helped at least a bit, In the case of Ennis it helped a lot, the 25-0 start helped Ennis get on the radar and increased his prospect value tremendously.

I also don't compare Mintz to any of these as all 4 of them were first round prospects. Mintz has different considerations than they ever did (NIL opportunities at Syracuse, transfer opportunities including NIL, G League being better developmentally now than 8+ years ago)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom