Let’s speculate on the future | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Let’s speculate on the future

Ironically when we do return to that level of discussion I doubt pods will matter anymore. It’s a nice talking point but as far as chances to advance it’s just about matchups. Location matters more for fans who want to make the trip.

We always hear about playing Oklahoma at Albany in 2003 but feel like we could’ve easily taken them at their home stadium or even in Sampson’s bedroom.

Pods were never that relevant in terms of winning it all, agreed - it was more important for the fans who wanted to see them.

- Ranked in the Top 25 — post-JAB+ 2 years with an outsider/+5 years with Red
- Wins the ACC regular season — 2032
- Wins the ACC tournament — 2028
- Makes the NCAA tournament — 2024
- Makes the Sweet 16 — 2026
- Makes the Final Four —2030
- Wins the National Championship — 2032
- (bonus) Wins 25 and 30 games in a season — 2032, 2033

To me, the most important ones are:
1. Making the NCAA tournament
2. Making the Sweet 16 (2nd weekend)
3. Top 25 Ranking (meaning, always in the media coverage)

Whoever the next coach is:
2 years to make the NCAA Tournament,
3 years for a Top 25 ranking,
4 years for a Sweet 16.

Those would be my goals.

I’ll answer my own post:

Ranked: 2025
ACC champions: 2032
ACCT champions: 2033
Makes NCAAT: 2025
Sweet 16: 2027
Final Four: 2032
National Championship: 2045
Wins 25: 2025
Wins 30: 2032

It's easier to make the tournament than it is to be ranked, especially coming from where we are perceived right now, unless we make a home run hire when Boeheim departs.

You really have to wonder how many guys on the team are already thinking Jesse and Joe are gone and that's 2 of our 3 best players. Judah especially. If I want to play in the NCAAT maybe I need to explore transfer options to a program I know is highly likely to be an NCAAT team next season. That would leave us trying to build a team mostly from the portal.

And we're "so good at that". LOL

Donte was not on a good team, so he doesn't really apply like the other 3.

As for the other 3 - I think our being good in the years they left certainly didn't hurt their prospect value, and ambition to leave, it probably helped at least a bit, In the case of Ennis it helped a lot, the 25-0 start helped Ennis get on the radar and increased his prospect value tremendously.

I also don't compare Mintz to any of these as all 4 of them were first round prospects. Mintz has different considerations than they ever did (NIL opportunities at Syracuse, transfer opportunities including NIL, G League being better developmentally now than 8+ years ago)
The buzzer-beater vs. Pittsburgh was awesome.
Made me keep an overpriced TV out of sheer joy. Otherwise it would have gone back the next day...

I believe in the not too distant future Andy Kaufman will resurface and claim the crown for staying true to the bit the longest.

After the season I see about 5 of the current players moving on by either transfer or graduation. I think Mintz will go pro. That will leave JB to hit the portal hard, which he hates, or deal with a losing season next year. Within 10 days after the final 4, I expect a press conference like Roy Williams two years ago. The prospect of a rebuild won’t sit well w/him and I believe Red will be announced as the new coach. I personally don’t want that to happen, but I think JB sees the writing on the wall, and if he wants his guys to coach he will have to be unexpected about his retirement, especially if they want to keep a few recruits. I think a lot of the fans want a new staff, but we all know that isn’t likely to happen.

The Ennis was the last great moment Syracuse had when we thought our team was amongst the best in the country.
Well…. we thought we were pretty good, certainly, as parcels would say 25-0 is 25-0…. but I don’t think we felt comfortable. Many of us remarked during the winning streak how we didn’t resemble a powerhouse 25-0 team. We had a couple really outstanding wins vs Villanova and Duke at home. And also several games against inferior competition where we really couldn’t get separation and impose our will. Our pace of play had slowed to a crawl. We closed games well for awhile, but too many came down to just a few possessions and the odds would eventually catch up with us, along with the very short rotation wearing that roster down.

I hugged strangers at the Change of Pace while the entire back room erupted. What a game.
Thing is if it wasn’t for the very questionable foul that gave Pitt 2 free throws we wouldn’t have needed a miracle finish. I remember being so plissed at the foul call in addition to the shock of the game winner. Such a swing of emotion.

Well…. we thought we were pretty good, certainly, as parcels would say 25-0 is 25-0…. but I don’t think we felt comfortable. Many of us remarked during the winning streak how we didn’t resemble a powerhouse 25-0 team. We had a couple really outstanding wins vs Villanova and Duke at home. And also several games against inferior competition where we really couldn’t get separation and impose our will. Our pace of play had slowed to a crawl. We closed games well for awhile, but too many came down to just a few possessions and the odds would eventually catch up with us, along with the very short rotation wearing that roster down.

Agreed - there was more worry and less confidence about that team than the 2010 and 2012 versions even in the midst of that streak. We may not have felt as good as the #1 ranking, but we felt we were still amongst the top 10 teams anyway.

Agreed - there was more worry and less confidence about that team than the 2010 and 2012 versions even in the midst of that streak. We may not have felt as good as the #1 ranking, but we felt we were still amongst the top 10 teams anyway.
Top 10, certainly. Then it came to such a fitting end with the fashion faux pas.

Agree.

We were coming off a Final Four (and Elite 8 the year before) and did it with a pretty new inexperienced team. First part of the season winning Maui and all those games just took too much out of everyone.

Against Dayton Ennis honestly looked like he didn't want to be there and couldn't wait for the season to end.

If we just had Southerland for another year that team is perfect a little less is asked out of CJ, Jerami, and Ennis while Cooney is first guard off the bench. We should have tried to get his FR year back as a redshirt.

we have the fan base (for now). a power conference. we also have the facilities and tradition to attract major talent. we also have an AD who will let you screw up for as long as you want without fear of losing your job. what's not to love about coaching the cuse ?

Well…. we thought we were pretty good, certainly, as parcels would say 25-0 is 25-0…. but I don’t think we felt comfortable. Many of us remarked during the winning streak how we didn’t resemble a powerhouse 25-0 team.
I distinctly remember those posters being made to feel like they were the most irrational Debbie Downers on Earth.

Let’s speculate on the future​

R.3bf681d34ba590435ca9de101343c065.png

Jesse and Judah come back we are in next years final four.
Well with both of them we went 17-15. Both teams tonight showed you need 8-9 dudes that can go off on any given night.

Well with both of them we went 17-15. Both teams tonight showed you need 8-9 dudes that can go off on any given night.

Return them both, Better fitting system, sophomore leap plus additional growth from Jesse, adding JJ and then whatever else we can tack on from the portal. All of that should be a good step forward. How good depends of course.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom