Let’s Talk About the 2022 Syracuse Offense | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Let’s Talk About the 2022 Syracuse Offense

As did our current QB.

One guy was forced to switch positions.

The other guy was only 1 snap away from winning his job back.

I only consider one of those guys a quitter.

One guy was forced to switch positions.

The other guy was only 1 snap away from winning his job back.

I only consider one of those guys a quitter.

One snap? You mean like when Shraders helmet came off and he had to sit a play and instead of putting Tommy in for that 1 play he wasted a timeout? And you only made an excuse for Shrader. Even Shrader said in an interview it was a good move by Tommy to leave when there were more options. Like he did.

One snap? You mean like when Shraders helmet came off and he had to sit a play and instead of putting Tommy in for that 1 play he wasted a timeout? And you only made an excuse for Shrader. Even Shrader said in an interview it was a good move by Tommy to leave when there were more options. Like he did.

You're a big guy. You probably played football, didn't you?
Did you ever have a guy quit mid-season on your HS or college team?
Those people are dead to the guys who remain behind.

I played on some very good teams, and a really bad team, and being on a bad team is hard. Especially when guys start turning on each other.
But I never would have left in the middle of the season. That's just not what players do.

I think that Shrader is going to run for more yards than Nassib did. Indeed, we're hoping that he puts up the numbers that Prince Tyson-Gulley did on that team (700-800 yards) and that Number 34 puts up another 1000+ yard season, like Jerome Smith did that year.

Not a bad comp, SWC. I'd be pretty happy with an 8-5 year.
ND Purdue NC state Virginia FSU Ville Pitt BC all games we will be underdogs in.

Tommy didn't commit to Illinois until December 10th, after the season was over. Why did he have to announce he was quitting after week 5?

What would have happened if Shrader had gotten hurt? Dungy had gotten hurt. Similar players. He couldn't get out of here fast enough, and then his dad made that 'parting shot' post about the unsophisticated offense we run.

When I was 20, I wouldn't have done that, and burned a bridge like that. My dad taught me better than that. But I'm a couple generations older, and my dad was a no-nonsense Marine. He wouldn't tolerate quitting on anything. Kids are a lot different these days.

You're a big guy. You probably played football, didn't you?
Did you ever have a guy quit mid-season on your HS or college team?
Those people are dead to the guys who remain behind.

I played on some very good teams, and a really bad team, and being on a bad team is hard. Especially when guys start turning on each other.
But I never would have left in the middle of the season. That's just not what players do.

Dead to the guys who remain behind? Didn’t sound like it from the comments players made and even some parents. Even guys who left the year before. Go look up what Trill had to say about Tommy. But you know better than an NFL player.

Tommy didn't commit to Illinois until December 10th, after the season was over. Why did he have to announce he was quitting after week 5?

What would have happened if Shrader had gotten hurt? Dungy had gotten hurt. Similar players. He couldn't get out of here fast enough, and then his dad made that 'parting shot' post about the unsophisticated offense we run.

When I was 20, I wouldn't have done that, and burned a bridge like that. My dad taught me better than that. But I'm a couple generations older, and my dad was a no-nonsense Marine. He wouldn't tolerate quitting on anything. Kids are a lot different these days.

Seems like he got a jump on other players looking for new homes whose seasons didn’t end till a couple weeks before that December 10th. Good move.

ND Purdue NC state Virginia FSU Ville Pitt BC all games we will be underdogs in.

I don't necessarily agree about BC, Louisville is a winnable game and UVa has a new coaching staff and may lose their record setting QB, Armstrong, to the draft. I think Pitt is winnable, too, although it is on the road.

Dead to the guys who remain behind? Didn’t sound like it from the comments players made and even some parents. Even guys who left the year before. Go look up what Trill had to say about Tommy. But you know better than an NFL player.

You remember something like 15 guys quitting the team in camp or during the season, don't you? Maybe you never were a player. You sure don't sound very competitive or concerned about winning. When people talk about a team being a band of brothers, you don't ordinarily lose 1 guy out of every 5 on scholarship and have everybody feeling great about it.

You remember something like 15 guys quitting the team in camp or during the season, don't you? Maybe you never were a player. You sure don't sound very competitive or concerned about winning. When people talk about a team being a band of brothers, you don't ordinarily lose 1 guy out of every 5 on scholarship and have everybody feeling great about it.

You sure seem to be spinning in circles. You don’t address anything, you just pivot away. Why did Dino waste a timeout when Shraders helmet came off? Why are you giving Shrader a pass on quitting mid season? I thought your father taught you something? Why did Tommy’s teammates have such good things to say about him? Did you find the Trill Williams quote? Why did Shrader say Tommy did the right thing to get a jump on others like he did? These are pressing questions.

You sure seem to be spinning in circles. You don’t address anything, you just pivot away. Why did Dino waste a timeout when Shraders helmet came off? Why are you giving Shrader a pass on quitting mid season? I thought your father taught you something? Why did Tommy’s teammates have such good things to say about him? Did you find the Trill Williams quote? Why did Shrader say Tommy did the right thing to get a jump on others like he did? These are pressing questions.

We're talking about different things. 15 kids quit the team last year - DURING the season. If I had been on the team, I would have been pissed. That's not good for morale, no matter how hard you look to find politely worded quotes from others.

Why wouldn't Shrader say that Tommy quitting immediately was a good idea? Nobody else could win the job back from him! I suppose Taj Harris was just the greatest teammate, too, right?

We're talking about different things. 15 kids quit the team last year - DURING the season. If I had been on the team, I would have been pissed. That's not good for morale, no matter how hard you look to find politely worded quotes from others.

Why wouldn't Shrader say that Tommy quitting immediately was a good idea? Nobody else could win the job back from him! I suppose Taj Harris was just the greatest teammate, too, right?

Of course we’re now talking different things. I was talking about one specific thing in response to one single thing you posted. You’ve now taken it in 99 different directions.

I think what you’re describing is how they used to see it. Then money started flowing obscenely to the HCs who leave on a dime, and all the CFB players adopted a more “this is a business” type attitude where they are all in it together trying to do right by their careers. When a player gets benched, it’s not “stick around and help us as a back up” it’s “you gotta do what you gotta do”

They are standing together for each other, just not in the way they used to

I just don't get how people even remotely compare the two situations, but whatever.

Technically they're both quitters I suppose.

Hopefully we ended up with the better one.
I wasn't knocking Shrader (or DeVito) for it. Just making the observation that if IMatt wants to say "players don't do that," that means our current QB1 isn't a player.

And yet that's exactly what our current QB1 did.

I'm not sure why people insist on conflating the two situations. TD lost his starting job (fair and square) and was one injury away from being back under center because he was still QB2.

Garrett wasn't even listed as QB on the Miss St roster and was moved to WR. He also had to stay under the 4-game limit to qualify as a red-shirt and retain a year of eligibility. Completely different situations...but...I have ZERO problem with either player's decision to leave their programs.

The only issue I had with TD was the choreographed press conference he held throwing team mates and coaches under the bus.

I'm not sure why people insist on conflating the two situations. TD lost his starting job (fair and square) and was one injury away from being back under center because he was still QB2.

Garrett wasn't even listed as QB on the Miss St roster and was moved to WR. He also had to stay under the 4-game limit to qualify as a red-shirt and retain a year of eligibility. Completely different situations...but...I have ZERO problem with either player's decision to leave their programs.

The only issue I had with TD was the choreographed press conference he held throwing team mates and coaches under the bus.
I feel this way as well. Devito was already locked into the season. He couldn't save a year of eligibility. He could have helped the team win games when Shrader got hurt. At Miss st. Shrader was learning to be a receiver. He was not going to be the difference in wins or losses at that position. Redshirting to save a year of eligibility totally made sense. And yes Tommy wasnt a good team mate after he lost the job. Ive heard from different people that things got uncomfortable around him.

Yes, Yes, and Yes. Thank you. At least somebody else understands my point of view.
And perhaps that is an old fashioned way of looking at things. But that's how I see it.

I think what you’re describing is how they used to see it. Then money started flowing obscenely to the HCs who leave on a dime, and all the CFB players adopted a more “this is a business” type attitude where they are all in it together trying to do right by their careers. When a player gets benched, it’s not “stick around and help us as a back up” it’s “you gotta do what you gotta do”

They are standing together for each other, just not in the way they used to

I get what you're saying. I guess I'm just old school.

I wasn't knocking Shrader (or DeVito) for it. Just making the observation that if IMatt wants to say "players don't do that," that means our current QB1 isn't a player.

I don't think DeVito is. I think he's scared in the pocket, and he's not nearly the player he and his dad think he is. I don't think he showed the character to be perceived or welcomed as a leader at Illinois. So we'll see how this plays out.

Shrader's situation is entirely different. He was moved to a new position. He had no future and no further opportunity at his position. As I (and others) have said, DeVito was 1 snap away from being the starter again. It's not like we moved him to slot receiver or halfback.

Getting back to the offense, Lamson was terrific in the Spring game. Showed a very good arm, obviously hit a deep ball or two, ran it pretty well, and made some nice throws on slants.

Both the new RBs had 50+ gains from scrimmage and looked dangerous. And so many of the WRs had very good moments.

The 1st team D line even held up pretty well (admittedly against the 2nd team offense ...). There was so much to like about how the team performed.

Last edited:
Despite Lamson’s big plays Friday, I still feel that Morgan is our best option at backup.

He’s a good game manager. He limits turnovers and does everything he can to turn bad plays into positive yardage. I think be gives our run game a chance to remain productive while still having the ability to hit short and mid ranged passes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom