Let’s Talk About the 2022 Syracuse Offense | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Let’s Talk About the 2022 Syracuse Offense

Dino has said it will be a blend of the Anae pass based offense and the Babers offense, which has historically been pretty balanced but evolved in 2021 to be really run based.

He said they will start running the base Anae offense and add in things from the Babers Baylor based offense over the course of the spring.

We are talking about 2 senior coaches (in their 60s) working together to create a new offense from offenses near and dear to both.

To me, this is the story of the spring and the success of this experiment will be the biggest factor in the success of the 2022 season. Even with the significant losses we have suffered on the DL I have confidence the defense will be above average in the ACC. There is too much experience, talent and good coaching for this to not happen.

If we can meld the best elements of the both schemes together, we would have something historically great.

It is interesting to me because the Anae offense last season led the ACC in passing yards per game. Both it was dead last in the ACC in rushing yards.

The Syracuse offense on the other hand was the polar opposite. Syracuse led the ACC in rushing yards per game and was dead last in the conference in passing yards.

View attachment 215826View attachment 215827

Now you could argue that Virginia did not have the best passing offense in the conference and Syracuse did not have the best rushing offense either. You can make a good argument Pitt had the best passing offense overall and UNC or UL had the best rushing offense. But clearly these two are among the top.

You could argue one of the big reasons these teams led the league in these categories is because they were so bad in the other category (finishing last in the conference).

Blending the best elements of both offenses is probably going to ensure Syracuse does not finish near the bottom of the conference in either category but hopefully finishes in the top half in both. That is surely the goal; an offense that is capable of sustained excellence rushing the ball and sustained excellence passing it.

Some things that stand out to me: UVa really didn’t run the ball that badly. 4.1 ypc is 8th in the conference. Right about average. The number of rush attempts is dramatically lower than any other school in the conference. That is the biggest reason UVa finished last in the conference in rushing yards per game.

What about tempo? How will the Anae offense affect tempo?

If I remember correctly, Dino was asked about this and said something to the effect that he still believed in tempo and that he thought Syracuse would always run some tempo, and that Robert agreed with this. UVa ran 114 more passes than Syracuse did in the same number of games last season, so the data suggests if anything, we will probably run more tempo next season. Think a big reason we slowed the tempo down so dramatically last season was because we felt running the ball down as much as possible, running the ball as much as possible, reducing the number of plays run as much as possible gave us the best chance to win. Hopefully that philosophy will be thrown out in 2022.

As of today, it appears we will have a lot more depth on offense in 2022. We have a second running QB, we have a couple guys who can play at RB, a bevy of experienced offensive linemen, and lots of WRs (some of whom are not experienced at all). We should be able to move the ball better and we should be willing to play a lot faster.

We need a couple of young WRs to step up. We need a TE to step up and show he can be a receiving threat. We need at least one of the QBs to step up and show he can throw the pass accurately and do this consistently. And most of all, we need the OL to block well enough to allow the run game to be successful (which should prett much be a given) and to pass block well enough that the QB consistently have enough time to let plays develop and WRs to get open.

More than anything, this is what I am going to focus on watching during the spring game. How does the OL handle pass blocking? Can they give the QB some time to get the ball off? This is especially important in passing situations.

How much will we throw to the TE? How much will we throw to the RBs? How successful will we be running the ball using mostly UVa sets and schemes?

Can’t wait to see how things look April 1st.

My biggest concern in the line play is the change in focus from run-first, to pass-first.

I think it's the right move, but hear me out. When you run block, it's all about firing off the ball. "Less talented" (less quick) but still "strong" linemen can get push on a defense. It's momentum and leverage and physics.

Pass blocking is retreat on the snap, not initiating contact, and it's a different mindset, different technique, obviously. Our OL coach turned these guys into capable run blockers, for the most part, until injuries wore us down.

Teaching pass blocking is going to be new muscle memory, new technique, stripping it down and starting some of the teaching over. That may cause a couple hiccups in line play on the offensive side.

Anae is an intelligent coach. He'll leverage the elite talent he has in Tucker. Not even worried about it.

Between Anae and Beck we're going to see a competent passing game, which we were badly missing last season.

Also, make no mistake, Anae is known for playing fast. We're going to put pressure on defenses again.

We're not used to seeing healthy offense, but we have every single ingredient we need to be dangerous and highly productive. We're going to be a lot better, and we're going to enter every game with the best player on the football field on our side. That matters.

I think we lack a game breaker at wide receiver right now, but otherwise I really like this post. I pray for good health on the line.

I wonder if they will get rid of the option WR routes that Dino's offense had and just go more to concept based routes. It seemed odd to rely on the QB and WR both reading the coverage right when the offense last year had a new QB and a ton of young WRs playing.

I would like to see this. I have posted previously that as an offensive player, knowing where you are going on a play gives you a split second advantage over the defender on your initial step.

Changing that around so the offense has to read the defender FIRST, and then select his route, was always a bad idea, unless you have clearly better athletes than the other guy.

Think of sprinting in track and field, and guys who have great starts vs. guys who are slow out of the blocks. Just by knowing the play, and the defender (hopefully) does not, the offensive guy should get the advantage. Having to read the defender makes you slow out of the blocks and you lose that edge.

I am not one that believes this.

To my eye, defenses are running run blitzes against us a ton. They are attacking our OL really aggressively, routinely playing press coverage with no help from the safeties.

We want them to make this choice. In theory, we should be able to throw the long ball and get a lot of huge gains passing it deep against single coverage. Long gains running the ball as well.

So I think the scheme is fine.

The problem is that our WRs can’t beat press coverage very often. Our QBs, particularly Devito, have been poor handling the blitz. And our OL and RBs have been bad in pass protection. Only last year was our OL reasonably good run blocking, and only until Carlos got hurt. There was a massive drop off after that happened. The backups were not ready to play.

When Dungey was here, he served as another run threat. That made sending a heavy run blitz at the RB less effective. They had to respect Eric. The same thing happened when Garrett took over at QB.

The OL was a little better when Eric was playing QB than after he graduated. And the WRs have been a lot worse beating man coverage post Dungey.

Incompetent play calling has also played a role. Last year there was problems with Garrett’s throwing accuracy as well.

I totally disagree that the scheme was figured out. That makes no sense to me.

That said, there can always be improvements made in any scheme. Our not throwing the ball to the TE has made it easier to stop the offense. We could throw it to our RBs in space more as well. More motion will confuse the defense and help us. Adding more routes designed to get WRs open (like rub routes) will help a lot. These are all things good offenses do that Dino has for some reason shown little interest in.

Can this group of WRs can open against press coverage? Can the OL get a little better and hold up for a whole season? Can Garrett improve his throwing accuracy?

I think it is a good sign Shrader appears to have taken complete control of the offense. I like a lof of the changes to the offense we are hearing about, even if many are relatively minor.

I believe we are going to be a lot harder to defend in the fall. But time will tell.
100%

My biggest concern in the line play is the change in focus from run-first, to pass-first.

I think it's the right move, but hear me out. When you run block, it's all about firing off the ball. "Less talented" (less quick) but still "strong" linemen can get push on a defense. It's momentum and leverage and physics.

Pass blocking is retreat on the snap, not initiating contact, and it's a different mindset, different technique, obviously. Our OL coach turned these guys into capable run blockers, for the most part, until injuries wore us down.

Teaching pass blocking is going to be new muscle memory, new technique, stripping it down and starting some of the teaching over. That may cause a couple hiccups in line play on the offensive side.
I am sure you are right about different blocking techniques, but any team with Sean Tucker, Garrett Shrader and Chris Elmore isn’t going to be pass happy. Maybe we can achieve some balance, but if you have an AA RB and a QB with Shrader’s skills, and a set of average receivers, you better run the ball.

I am not one that believes this.

To my eye, defenses are running run blitzes against us a ton. They are attacking our OL really aggressively, routinely playing press coverage with no help from the safeties.

We want them to make this choice. In theory, we should be able to throw the long ball and get a lot of huge gains passing it deep against single coverage. Long gains running the ball as well.

So I think the scheme is fine.

The problem is that our WRs can’t beat press coverage very often. Our QBs, particularly Devito, have been poor handling the blitz. And our OL and RBs have been bad in pass protection. Only last year was our OL reasonably good run blocking, and only until Carlos got hurt. There was a massive drop off after that happened. The backups were not ready to play.

When Dungey was here, he served as another run threat. That made sending a heavy run blitz at the RB less effective. They had to respect Eric. The same thing happened when Garrett took over at QB.

The OL was a little better when Eric was playing QB than after he graduated. And the WRs have been a lot worse beating man coverage post Dungey.

Incompetent play calling has also played a role. Last year there was problems with Garrett’s throwing accuracy as well.

I totally disagree that the scheme was figured out. That makes no sense to me.

That said, there can always be improvements made in any scheme. Our not throwing the ball to the TE has made it easier to stop the offense. We could throw it to our RBs in space more as well. More motion will confuse the defense and help us. Adding more routes designed to get WRs open (like rub routes) will help a lot. These are all things good offenses do that Dino has for some reason shown little interest in.

Can this group of WRs can open against press coverage? Can the OL get a little better and hold up for a whole season? Can Garrett improve his throwing accuracy?

I think it is a good sign Shrader appears to have taken complete control of the offense. I like a lof of the changes to the offense we are hearing about, even if many are relatively minor.

I believe we are going to be a lot harder to defend in the fall. But time will tell.
Good post.

I think they key is designing the passing game and execution. Everyone knows the run game will be good but how they use that defensive focus to make the passing game better is the key.

I don't think they'll have an explosive passing attack but I do think those 3rd and 7 or 3rd and 10 etc situations they will have good plays and a solid plan.

I think they key is designing the passing game and execution. Everyone knows the run game will be good but how they use that defensive focus to make the passing game better is the key.

I don't think they'll have an explosive passing attack but I do think those 3rd and 7 or 3rd and 10 etc situations they will have good plays and a solid plan.
If we can get our 2 TE to catch the ball across the Middle, the offense will roll.
Mang and Mahar are the key to this offense. The ability to have the TE pick up yardage in the Middle will limit the safeties and Linebackers from playing close to the Line.

I don't need to. I know that it wasn't stopped and other offenses that were previously more conservative were forced to adapt because of it, regardless of what theory a column proposes.

Did you not just say in post 114 you can't explain what exactly defenses have done to stop it? If you can't explain the what or the how, is it possible you are mistaken in your insistence that the scheme was simply figured out?

Players and coaches are not robots. Football isn't as simple as plug in scheme and if mine is better than yours I win. There are so many factors that determine success or failure. Scheme, the coaches' ability to teach it, the coaches' ability to teach position specific technique, the players' ability to absorb it, player buy in/commitment, physical athletic talent, game planning, in game decision and adjustments from coaches and players, etc.

In this era of advanced stats, I think, in looking at the plethora of numbers, people forget about the nuanced human element of sport, especially on the college level. Anyone that has lined up against an opponent on a court or field understands that. It's an over simplification to state success or failure of an offense is that the scheme was just figured out.
Stopped reading after your first sentence

I'm not sure we are. You're insisting a system was figured out. I'm saying others saw that it worked and adopted it or at least parts of it.

I'll make my stance clear and you can decide if we are in agreement. Our problems on offense and the reason we hired the coaches we hired was NOT because the system was figured out by opposing defenses. There are other reasons a system that was closely related to Briles did not work for us beginning in 2019.
If you won’t do the work, it’s not worth talking it out in hypothetical land.

I’ve heard a highly regarded reporter who gets takes on every P5 teams from opposing coaches on a podcast talk for 20 min on this exact system being figured out. That was your next assignment.

I’m not pulling this stuff from my …

I’m also open to Money’s takes as he’s a coach and I’m happy to learn from people with more knowledge. I’ll also happily admit when I’m wrong.

If you won’t do the work, it’s not worth talking it out in hypothetical land.

I’ve heard a highly regarded reporter who gets takes on every P5 teams from opposing coaches on a podcast talk for 20 min on this exact system being figured out. That was your next assignment.

I’m not pulling this stuff from my …

I’m also open to Money’s takes as he’s a coach and I’m happy to learn from people with more knowledge. I’ll also happily admit when I’m wrong.
Haha. Do the the work? Assignment? Are you my teacher? The one that can't say how the defenses have figured it out because it's above your pay grade (your words, not mine) despite listening to the podcast that apparently explains exactly that. I think I'll drop this class and pick it up with a different instructor.

You're willing to listen to money and he has said our problems were not that defenses figured us out, but you insist that our problems were because defenses figured us out.

I'm done.

Last edited:
Beyond my pay grade. But if you google Big 12 defenses and spread offenses - there’s been a sea change in how a league that was dominated by spread offense is now a strong defensive league with far less 50 pt track meet games.

What happened?
The D figured the O out.
It happens all the time in sports.

Beyond my pay grade. But if you google Big 12 defenses and spread offenses - there’s been a sea change in how a league that was dominated by spread offense is now a strong defensive league with far less 50 pt track meet games.

What happened?
The Big 12 just decided to play defense lol. Like you said, there's been improvement within the league the last few years. Some teams changed their philosophy and scheme to give their defense a better chance to defend the offenses in the Big12. For instance teams like Baylor, Iowa St, Kansas st improved drammatically when they switched to a 3-3 (allows them to put more skilled athletes on the field) I believe WVU runs that as well. Even with the better defensive play I'm not sure how we can coorelate all that with Briles. He hasnt coached since 2015 and he was ripping up the leauge that year as well. We also dont know how he would have countered the new schemes they are using in the league.

Last edited:
The D figured the O out.
It happens all the time in sports.

And the flip side to that is that just because the defense knows the tendencies and typical plays in an offensive system (think Army or Ga Tech running the wishbone in the last 10 years or so ...), there are still the variables of the personnel and the execution.

So D's may "figure out" O's, but if you have better player match-ups, or better execution at the point of attack, it won't matter.

I am sure you are right about different blocking techniques, but any team with Sean Tucker, Garrett Shrader and Chris Elmore isn’t going to be pass happy. Maybe we can achieve some balance, but if you have an AA RB and a QB with Shrader’s skills, and a set of average receivers, you better run the ball.

I only said that because Dino said that were putting in Anae's offense first as the base, then adding elements of Babers offense on top of that.

So, to me, that said they're putting in the passing game first. Not sure how that might impact the linemen, starting with something new, then coming back to pieces that are familiar.

I only said that because Dino said that were putting in Anae's offense first as the base, then adding elements of Babers offense on top of that.

So, to me, that said they're putting in the passing game first. Not sure how that might impact the linemen, starting with something new, then coming back to pieces that are familiar.

Anae’s O features plenty of running.
Look back to prior years, and what they did at BYU.

Just not so much this past year.

Which was likely them doing the same thing we did - focusing heavily on what you do very well, since you’ve got a fantastic talent to build around.

We’re not going from wishbone to air raid.

I’m sure there are a LOT more things in common or at least similar, than that are entirely different.

St Dougie & Nate Hackett completely redid their O just weeks before the 2012 season, to maximize the talents of the players on hand.

That worked out pretty well, after some early struggles.
(Which were also due to a brutal schedule and missing Pugh on the OL)

Anae’s O features plenty of running.
Look back to prior years, and what they did at BYU.

Just not so much this past year.

Which was likely them doing the same thing we did - focusing heavily on what you do very well, since you’ve got a fantastic talent to build around.

We’re not going from wishbone to air raid.

I’m sure there are a LOT more things in common or at least similar, than that are entirely different.

St Dougie & Nate Hackett completely redid their O just weeks before the 2012 season, to maximize the talents of the players on hand.

That worked out pretty well, after some early struggles.
(Which were also due to a brutal schedule and missing Pugh on the OL)
Good points. The hire makes a lot of sense. UVA runs tempo, they like to run the ball in creative ways and they call plays based on what the offense does best. They simplify the passing game to maximize performance. Sometimes less is best. Thats what the Cuse offense needs.

Last edited:
Good points. The hire makes a lot of sense. UVA runs tempo, they like the run the ball in creative ways and they call plays based on what the offense does best. They simplify the passing game to maximize performance. Sometimes less is best. Thats what the Cuse offense needs.
The best part of all this — rather than wallowing in Dino’s w/l record, or struggles in recruiting, we can discuss several possible tidbits about the new offense. For months.

Though I think a lot comes back to whether we can block and run, and move the chains with basic pass routes.

The best part of all this — rather than wallowing in Dino’s w/l record, or struggles in recruiting, we can discuss several possible tidbits about the new offense. For months.

Though I think a lot comes back to whether we can block and run, and move the chains with basic pass routes.
Great point. Prime example is at the 19:15 mark. Simple stick route. Have a wr or RB run a shoot route. The QB reads the apex defender and hits the stick or the shoot. Simple and effective.

I would think that the new offense would still be a run first offense. But not as much, and with a more effective passing attack.

I would think that the new offense would still be a run first offense. But not as much, and with a more effective passing attack.
When you have an AA who is a threat to run to the house everytime he touches the ball and a QB big enough to punish DBs and hold his own with LBs, you will not forget the ground game.

The best coaches and coordinators use the tools in the toolbox and get the most they can out of kids. Play to the kids' strengths not force the kids into a rigid package that they cannot play well. Recruit what you want and make the best out of what you get.

And the flip side to that is that just because the defense knows the tendencies and typical plays in an offensive system (think Army or Ga Tech running the wishbone in the last 10 years or so ...), there are still the variables of the personnel and the execution.

So D's may "figure out" O's, but if you have better player match-ups, or better execution at the point of attack, it won't matter.
Thats not who we are.
We are not Lombardi Packers, or Alabama. We had an edge, it got figured out, edge gone. What we need is a great game plan, play calling,clock management and in game adjustments. Hopefully now that we have good coaches we will improve in these areas as they have been weak.

Haha. Do the the work? Assignment? Are you my teacher? The one that can't say how the defenses have figured it out because it's above your pay grade (your words, not mine) despite listening to the podcast that apparently explains exactly that. I think I'll drop this class and pick it up with a different instructor.

You're willing to listen to money and he has said our problems were not that defenses figured us out, but you insist that our problems were because defenses figured us out.

I'm done.
Lol. I never said I was an expert. How do you learn about stuff you’re not an expert on? Or do you just shoot from the hip? I listen to people who are smarter than me on a topic to form my own opinions. I’m then open to being wrong. What I don’t do is suffer folks who are uninterested in learning about the topic we’re talking about, especially if they are pushing and questioning how I came to that opinion.

If you won’t explore the topic, yeah, you’re done lol

The Big 12 just decided to play defense lol. Like you said, there's been improvement within the league the last few years. Some teams changed their philosophy and scheme to give their defense a better chance to defend the offenses in the Big12. For instance teams like Baylor, Iowa St, Kansas st improved drammatically when they switched to a 3-3 (allows them to put more skilled athletes on the field) I believe WVU runs that as well. Even with the better defensive play I'm not sure how we can coorelate all that with Briles. He hasnt coached since 2015 and he was ripping up the leauge that year as well. We also dont know how he would have countered the new schemes they are using in the league.
Yeah, I’m ok with this explanation. It probably comes down to the semantics of “figured out” which is kind of what you just described, IMO. I agree with you that the next step would have been a counter from the offense. And so on and so on.

One thing I’m confident of is that when you’re adjusting the system you run - having a good QB and OL is helpful. We tried to evolve with a QB who wasn’t good in some key areas at the same time our OL (injuries, recruiting, coaching) we really struggled. Installing changes in the middle of a pandemic was not helpful either.

As all of things try to get boiled down to simple things, it’s usually a lot of things all compounding.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom