Let’s Talk About the 2022 Syracuse Offense | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Let’s Talk About the 2022 Syracuse Offense

Despite Lamson’s big plays Friday, I still feel that Morgan is our best option at backup.

He’s a good game manager. He limits turnovers and does everything he can to turn bad plays into positive yardage. I think be gives our run game a chance to remain productive while still having the ability to hit short and mid ranged passes.

Villari disappointed a bit. He's a big strong guy with a good arm. But he tried to force 2 or 3 passes into tight double coverage. Can't do that in a real game.

Who are these great NFL linemen you speak of?
He didn’t say great nfl linemen He has a point, if you have a line in college that has a couple of next level guys on it, it tends to be very good to excellent. Pretty easy concept

if healthy, this will be the best line since 2012. They would have been last year with some stability. Even without it the line was significantly improved.

Despite Lamson’s big plays Friday, I still feel that Morgan is our best option at backup.

He’s a good game manager. He limits turnovers and does everything he can to turn bad plays into positive yardage. I think be gives our run game a chance to remain productive while still having the ability to hit short and mid ranged passes.

I don't agree. I think he's the slowest of the 4 QBs by far, and we're going to need someone to keep the chains moving with his legs at times. Just the nature of the beast here. Actually it's everywhere these days.

Villari disappointed a bit. He's a big strong guy with a good arm. But he tried to force 2 or 3 passes into tight double coverage. Can't do that in a real game.
He faced by far the most difficult drive scenarios of any of the QB’s. He got pinned within the O’s own 5 twice vs the 1’s. I give him a pass for Friday but still think Morgan’s experience gives him the lead.

I don't think DeVito is. I think he's scared in the pocket, and he's not nearly the player he and his dad think he is. I don't think he showed the character to be perceived or welcomed as a leader at Illinois. So we'll see how this plays out.

Shrader's situation is entirely different. He was moved to a new position. He had no future and no further opportunity at his position. As I (and others) have said, DeVito was 1 snap away from being the starter again. It's not like we moved him to slot receiver or halfback.
But you didn't qualify that a position change mattered. Just that players don't quit on their team in the middle of the season.

That's exactly what Shrader did so he could preserve a year of eligibility.

I don't have a problem with it. You were the one that indicated it wasn't acceptable to you.

Honestly, if Tommy had stayed and not portaled out, after the Virginia Tech game he would have been the starter again for at least a week or two to allow Shrader to rest up his injury

Because he doesn’t, we had such little confidence in the qbs behind Shrader we played him dinged up

He faced by far the most difficult drive scenarios of any of the QB’s. He got pinned within the O’s own 5 twice vs the 1’s. I give him a pass for Friday but still think Morgan’s experience gives him the lead.

Yes, his first couple drives were nightmares. But even later in the game, he showed a tendency to throw into heavy coverage. I don't think it's necessarily a lack of judgment; I think he was just trying hard to impress.

But you didn't qualify that a position change mattered. Just that players don't quit on their team in the middle of the season.

That's exactly what Shrader did so he could preserve a year of eligibility.

I don't have a problem with it. You were the one that indicated it wasn't acceptable to you.

Players shouldn't quit on their team in the middle of the season.

Shrader's situation was much different. I don't know how many people have to say so for you to see it.

Shrader was never going to play quarterback again at Mississippi State. DeVito might have won his starting job back.

Shrader's situation was much different. I don't know how many people have to say so for you to see it.

Shrader was never going to play quarterback again at Mississippi State. DeVito might have won his starting job back.

This. Exactly this.

Miss State had a coaching change, and with that a change in QB philosophy.
Shrader was moved from QB to WR. He had NO path to playing QB ever again there.

Tommy got beaten out for QB1.
He was still QB2, and literally 1 snap away from being QB1 again.

And as we saw, Shrader did indeed get dinged up as the season went on - had Tommy remained, he might have gotten run.

Walruses and oranges comparison.

I don't think DeVito is. I think he's scared in the pocket, and he's not nearly the player he and his dad think he is. I don't think he showed the character to be perceived or welcomed as a leader at Illinois. So we'll see how this plays out.

Shrader's situation is entirely different. He was moved to a new position. He had no future and no further opportunity at his position. As I (and others) have said, DeVito was 1 snap away from being the starter again. It's not like we moved him to slot receiver or halfback.
The good news for Devito is that he won't be asked to do much in Bielema's offense. Manage the game (mostly hand-offs) and move the sticks. After all, he should be a an upgrade over Artur Sitkowski...right?

He also did fairly well against our 1’s. I would have liked to see him go against the 2’s and lamson the 1’s for a drive

I feel this way as well. Devito was already locked into the season. He couldn't save a year of eligibility. He could have helped the team win games when Shrader got hurt. At Miss st. Shrader was learning to be a receiver. He was not going to be the difference in wins or losses at that position. Redshirting to save a year of eligibility totally made sense. And yes Tommy wasnt a good team mate after he lost the job. Ive heard from different people that things got uncomfortable around him.
DeVito played in 3 games last season according to this - Tommy Devito College Stats | College Football at Sports-Reference.com. maybe that's wrong? But playing in the 3 games and leaving when he did definitely preserved a year of eligibility for him.

The good news for Devito is that he won't be asked to do much in Bielema's offense. Manage the game (mostly hand-offs) and move the sticks. After all, he should be a an upgrade over Artur Sitkowski...right?
According to the all knowing Rutgers fans, Sitkowski was 100 times the prospect that DeVito was.

Their player evaluation skills are legendary.

Alrighty then.

Last edited:
My understanding at the time was that had junior eligible status. With one year to play. He already redshirted in 2017. He's listed as a senior on Illinois roster
I think you're right and I was accounting for the Covid year wrong with how it relates to his initial redshirt year.

He didn’t say great nfl linemen He has a point, if you have a line in college that has a couple of next level guys on it, it tends to be very good to excellent. Pretty easy concept

if healthy, this will be the best line since 2012. They would have been last year with some stability. Even without it the line was significantly improved.

I think the coaching had a lot to do with it.

I've posted before about blocking, if you want to build an effective line, you have to be able to move the opponent off the ball. That doesn't take better athletes, it takes technique, leverage and a certain degree of trickery in who you block (double teams, traps, counters, etc.).

They really learned how to run block last season, firing off the ball and making the initial contact,

Pass blocking is harder to teach. It's more like jiu jitsu, where you use your hands and the opponents movement to get them off balance and use leverage to control their positioning and steer the rush away from the action on the play. It's not just firing off the ball "on two", and hitting the guy across from you.

We sure looked great in the spring game, though. OMG.

It would have been interesting to see Lamson run against the 1st team D, and the other 2 run against the 2s and 3s. The fact that we didn't is probably telling as to how secure the depth chart already is at the QB spot.

The absolute confidence the Shrader and Lamson both seem to outwardly show vs Morgan and Vallari looking wide eyed and uncertain came through on camera Friday. Early days still of course.

It would have been interesting to see Lamson run against the 1st team D, and the other 2 run against the 2s and 3s. The fact that we didn't is probably telling as to how secure the depth chart already is at the QB spot.

The absolute confidence the Shrader and Lamson both seem to outwardly show vs Morgan and Vallari looking wide eyed and uncertain came through on camera Friday. Early days still of course.
Lamson looked to be a solid QB in all aspects. Morgan looked good as well. Dan as others have posted had terrible field position and made some bad throws and decisions.
He is however an enormous person. In person the kid is massive. If its 4th and one stick him under center and don't worry about it.

Lamson looked to be a solid QB in all aspects. Morgan looked good as well. Dan as others have posted had terrible field position and made some bad throws and decisions.
He is however an enormous person. In person the kid is massive. If its 4th and one stick him under center and don't worry about it.

I wasn't as impressed by Morgan as some others on the board. He made a couple nice throws, including a couple over the middle. But I thought Lamson was the best by a mile.

I think Morgan is QB 3 and Vallari QB 4 but I think Vallari makes it on the field first as an athlete. Can't help but wonder what that QB throw back play to Morgan would look like going to Shrader out but equally could have Villari as the motion man taking the initial pitch to open up a ton of other options. Hell even motioning Villari and faking pitch or hand off would drive defenses mental.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom