Let me be clear | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Let me be clear

I don't post a ton here but i read alot and I am dumbfounded we ran 3 receiver sets all game long with a tight or fullback and never truly spread them out like last year. Dungy was staring at his receiver down and never looked away except to run. Really bad dback game as our corners were out of position often. Rb are not doing well at all except Elmore. Got out coached all game long. Case in point, they would run ball screen outside and we would have 2 covering three with no inside help to flats. They ran that all game and got 5 yds repeatedly. Head scratcher all game but done did do well and so did lb. Everyone else was bad. Also can't get too mad at Riley. He is really the smallest guy out there by 50 lbs and how good are we when we keep putting him out there. Small rant really sorry. I'm aggravated.

They made an adjustment to go to that set because they needed to keep guys in to help the OL that was getting abused by the blitz. They tried that the first 3 drives and got massacred

They made an adjustment to go to that set because they needed to keep guys in to help the OL that was getting abused by the blitz. They tried that the first 3 drives and got massacred
I didn't see that at all. Must have missed it. I thought pierce started at te. I will have to rewatch it and suffer again. Thank u.

I didn't see that at all. Must have missed it. I thought pierce started at te. I will have to rewatch it and suffer again. Thank u.

Yea, first 3 drives weren't pretty. They were basically having free runs at Dungey. The next drive they came out with Pierce and Elmore for max protection. It helped, but took them out of what they wanted to do. I put that on the OL just either not having enough experience handling the blitz, or just not being good enough. Some of the play calling definitely didn't help either. Should have took more shots deep, but the time just wasn't there.

I love Syracuse first and foremost.

I believe DB is the RIGHT guy.

BUT losing to MTSU at home is unacceptable. I was being sarcastic BC SS was beat up endlessly this week...

I don't care if it's SS or Vince Lombardi, Syracuse should never lose to MTSU at home, EVER.

I didn't mean to antagonize long time posters whom I respect greatly. But, I will not make excuses for DB on a day that he clearly lost.

Losing sucks. We all get it.

I try taking a break from posting after a loss. Let all the riff raf who only post after losing clear out.

I agree though. Was a bad game. First time in the Babers era where it felt like past cluster f.

There should have been a 15 yard unsportmanlike at the end when the kid faked an injury to avoid a penalty (resulting in a 1st down). It was blatantly in front of the ref.

Yep. Straight up cheating.

Yea, first 3 drives weren't pretty. They were basically having free runs at Dungey. The next drive they came out with Pierce and Elmore for max protection. It helped, but took them out of what they wanted to do. I put that on the OL just either not having enough experience handling the blitz, or just not being good enough. Some of the play calling definitely didn't help either. Should have took more shots deep, but the time just wasn't there.

And by the time we settled on some plays that were working, we just didn't execute like they did late.

That and drops.

What I saw was a team that is below average play below average. No play makers, you could see that when they played the HS team last week. Phillips had the prettiest 3 yard run I've seen in a while. The drops playing pitter pat football just can not happen. Ishmael has not got better in 3 years. Custis looked lost and Butler took over and maybe that'll help. The O-Line keeps struggling but hoping that will improve. Special teams had screw ups in every area. D fought but just didn't make some plays they had to make. Dungey has no field vision. The WR's stop when he scrambles and it's sickening...that is when something good could happen but they just stop and stare but maybe that's on Dungey as he puts his head down to run instead of extending the play behind the LOS. There is a middle of the darn field and people catch the ball there. Is this Babers or the players not doing it because it's annoying as heck to watch. No wonder why the SU defense doesn't cover it maybe because they don't do it practice?

Ohh...and when you are in a 2 minute offense...don't throw the ball 3 yards on a 2nd and 10 inside the hash mark so you gain little from it and keep the clock moving. Terrible. Add to that running 1 yard short of a first down on a 4th down attempt pass attempt...just unintelligent football.

If that isn't unsportsmanlike, what is? Said the same thing at the time. What a low-class program that was.

It's like diving in soccer. It will keep happening as long as it works.

Thought they should have ran more cross routes with Erv. I thought that was an awful mistake

The play calling was vanilla all game. That's on db thinking they could walk through this game. Yes players didn't play well today but we should never lose to a team like that.
After 14 games I'm just beginning to think it's boring. And not really very fast

After 14 games I'm just beginning to think it's boring. And not really very fast

It really doesn't look a ton like what I watched him do at Bowling Green. We rarely get in rhythm. Hopefully it'll click but the announcers today said Dino is already hedging on it clicking this year.

More talent should help. But then more talent helps any scheme.

The worst thing is that when this offense doesn't work it makes these games go on forever. I can't keep giving up 4 1/2 hours every Saturday.

It really doesn't look a ton like what I watched him do at Bowling Green. We rarely get in rhythm. Hopefully it'll click but the announcers today said Dino is already hedging on it clicking this year.

The worst thing is that when this offense doesn't work it makes these games go on forever. I can't keep giving up 4 1/2 hours every Saturday.
Nothing like BG. It's unimpressive

I've watched some of his Bowling Green games where they would run that 1 run play up the middle time after time after time and pick up 5 yards a carry. They'd go really fast then. Not being able to run the ball downhill is totally killing everything he wants to do offensively. Until we can get that squared away it's just going to be long long long games with a ton of passing. He really wants to be able to run the ball. We just can't.

If it isn't rolling like BG then it has to be the QB and OL.

I've watched some of his Bowling Green games where they would run that 1 run play up the middle time after time after time and pick up 5 yards a carry. They'd go really fast then. Not being able to run the ball downhill is totally killing everything he wants to do offensively. Until we can get that squared away it's just going to be long long long games with a ton of passing. He really wants to be able to run the ball. We just can't.

I think it is time to bench Strickland. He is an awful running back.

If it isn't rolling like BG then it has to be the QB and OL.

No OL and RB. Also - need guys who can beat man coverage more consistently on the outside.

And this year's recruiting class really helps with just about all that. Plus DeVito.

No OL and RB. Also - need guys who can beat man coverage more consistently on the outside.

I think that comes back to your RB which I agree with. I think we cant run the ball so teams don't have to stop it which leaves more people for coverage.

Personally, I would really like it if a defensive scheme other than the T2 were considered. Probably not feasible this season, but next year?
upload_2017-9-9_22-2-45.gif

For the coaches/those with real FB experience - would switching defensive strategies dramatically change the type (speed/size/strength/etc.) of kids we recruit? Or is it that we don't have the right set of skills yet to successfully play the T2?

I'm tired of how hearing how fast we play and how we wear people out. We can't get stuff organized to run. Stripes were awful today but this O needs to prove it week in and week out or for now it's just gas.
Everybody plays fast now. So what? We aren't unique. Missouri plays just as fast as us, and MTSU beat them last year. I was warning people about this game all week, and people acted like I was nuts. They acted like losing to Vanderbilt is proof that they suck. I hate to admit it, but we sadly, are not even on Vandy's level yet. We are a team that can hang with MTSU at home, and nothing more. Until I see some sort of a running attack, and decent offensive line play, I'm afraid we are just that. A team that can hang with an MTSU at home.
Go back to practice, watch tape, and lick your wounds, because if you think CMU is going to be a gimme too, I'll refer you to this weeks game.

Everybody plays fast now. So what? We aren't unique. Missouri plays just as fast as us, and MTSU beat them last year. I was warning people about this game all week, and people acted like I was nuts. They acted like losing to Vanderbilt is proof that they suck. I hate to admit it, but we sadly, are not even on Vandy's level yet. We are a team that can hang with MTSU at home, and nothing more. Until I see some sort of a running attack, and decent offensive line play, I'm afraid we are just that. A team that can hang with an MTSU at home.
Go back to practice, watch tape, and lick your wounds, because if you think CMU is going to be a gimme too, I'll refer you to this weeks game.
I said the same things to my friends. They kept saying I was crazy and we will just short pass them to death. People don't get how important a run game is.