Let the hot seat talk begin | Syracusefan.com

Let the hot seat talk begin

lvilleorange

Walk On
DM shows up at #9 on this list:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf-...-seats.html;_ylt=AubKmQDSzaFQcvCuu9pXnvIcvrYF

9. Doug Marrone, Syracuse
Record: 17-20 in three seasons. One bowl (1-0).
Buzz: When Marrone took over after the 2008 season, Syracuse hadn't had a winning record since 2001. Marrone led the Orange to eight victories in 2010 and things were looking up. But Syracuse slipped back to five wins last season, when the Big East might have been as down as it ever has been. The league doesn't look all that strong this season, either, so Marrone will be feeling the heat if he can't get Syracuse on the plus side of .500. The offense was lacking last season, putting too much pressure on a defense that eventually crumbled. Syracuse allowed at least 27 points in each of its final five games and at least 30 in each of its last three games. The offense looks as if it will lack playmakers again, which bodes ill. This will be the final season for Syracuse in the Big East as it prepares for a move to the much tougher ACC.

You can't win with lists like these. If you're not a rookie coach or a well-entrenched one, your job is always going to be in question by somebody.

You can't win with lists like these. If you're not a rookie coach or a well-entrenched one, your job is always going to be in question by somebody.

Agreed but its hard to argue with that synopsis, the guy pretty much nailed it.

The ranking is silly but what is written isn't entirely unfair. Marrone *will* start feeling heat if SU doesn't get 6 wins this year. It doesn't mean he's in any danger of being fired, save for a catastrophic 1 or 2 win season, but he *will* be feeling heat.

The synopsis is fair. In 2011 the offense failed to step up and help the young defense. But does the offense lack playmakers again? Or does it just look that way? Sorry, that's too vague and inaccurate in my book to justify placing Marrone or any other coach on a top 1o list for being on the hot seat nationally.

A closer look shows that at least 2 additional playmakers will be on the field in 2012. Besides last season SU was 1 win away from going to back-to-back bowl games after landing at the bottom of college football in just about every statistical category. Marrone needs his offense to perform for sure, but I'm also sure that many other coaches around the country are sitting on hotter seats right now.

Well if the play makers that existed last season made plays when they should have - I'm looking at you Philip Thomas - then Doug would be credited for taking Syracuse to bowls in consecutive seasons for the first time in forever.

The ranking is silly but what is written isn't entirely unfair. Marrone *will* start feeling heat if SU doesn't get 6 wins this year. It doesn't mean he's in any danger of being fired, save for a catastrophic 1 or 2 win season, but he *will* be feeling heat.

If there is "no danger of being fired", then whats the effect of "the heat"?

Where's that heat coming from? The powerless, I believe.

There's always unhappiness and the school's know that.

What are the locals going to do --- not go to the games? They are already doing that and have been for 10+ years.

Agree with others that the synopsis is fairly accurate, and not really earth-shattering. I do disagree with his last thought, "the much tougher ACC." The ACC was only marginally better than the BE last year, and in most years, they are as bad as each other.

If there is "no danger of being fired", then whats the effect of "the heat"?

Where's that heat coming from? The powerless, I believe.

There's always unhappiness and the school's know that.

What are the locals going to do --- not go to the games? They are already doing that and have been for 10+ years.

Yes, heat from fans. Is there something wrong in acknowledging that there will be increased discontentment from fans?

I thought that list was good because in many cases the writer explicitly says there isn't an immediate danger of firing. He's clearly using "heat" to mean from the fans.

DM shows up at #9 on this list:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf-...-seats.html;_ylt=AubKmQDSzaFQcvCuu9pXnvIcvrYF

9. Doug Marrone, Syracuse
Record: 17-20 in three seasons. One bowl (1-0).
Buzz: When Marrone took over after the 2008 season, Syracuse hadn't had a winning record since 2001. Marrone led the Orange to eight victories in 2010 and things were looking up. But Syracuse slipped back to five wins last season, when the Big East might have been as down as it ever has been. The league doesn't look all that strong this season, either, so Marrone will be feeling the heat if he can't get Syracuse on the plus side of .500. The offense was lacking last season, putting too much pressure on a defense that eventually crumbled. Syracuse allowed at least 27 points in each of its final five games and at least 30 in each of its last three games. The offense looks as if it will lack playmakers again, which bodes ill. This will be the final season for Syracuse in the Big East as it prepares for a move to the much tougher ACC.
Bunk

there better be heat, hes failed to do the minimum of his job requirements in 2 of his 3 years.

the ACC isnt just much tougher, its a hell of a lot tougher.

those schools are likely lobbying swofford now to put SU and the guaranteed W on their schedules.

Oh Lord

there better be heat, hes failed to do the minimum of his job requirements in 2 of his 3 years.

the ACC isnt just much tougher, its a hell of a lot tougher.

those schools are likely lobbying swofford now to put SU and the guaranteed W on their schedules.

Oh Lord
Agreed. Last year the ACC was much tougher than the Big East and looks that way this year too.

Agreed. Last year the ACC was much tougher than the Big East and looks that way this year too.

If SU played in the ACC - Atlantic division last year, we likely would have been bowl eligible.

Well if the play makers that existed last season made plays when they should have - I'm looking at you Philip Thomas - then Doug would be credited for taking Syracuse to bowls in consecutive seasons for the first time in forever.

That pick six drop still hurts.

If SU played in the ACC - Atlantic division last year, we likely would have been bowl eligible.

Let's explore that. So we would have played Wake, Clemson, FSU, NC State, BC, Maryland, Pitt (as our crossover rival) and 2 random Coastal teams. Seeing as we were 4-1 in our OOC slate (including Wake) we would have needed to go 2-7 against the ACC (as opposed to the 1-6 we did against the mighty Big East).

If we assume whatever team we replaced Wake with on the OOC schedule was still a win, we'd have needed 1 more ACC win (assuming we'd still beat Wake in conference). Where would that come from?

Clemson? No.
FSU? Doubtful.
NC State, BC? If we couldn't beat Rutgers and UConn I'm not sure why we'd feel we could beat them.

Guess our only shot would be either to have beaten Maryland or hope Duke was one of our 2 Coastal games.

Maryland was pretty bad, I guess that's what would have gotten us over the top?

Of course we also skirted by powerhouses like Toledo and Tulane last year, so I'm not sure we can count any opponent as a sure W.

Let's explore that. So we would have played Wake, Clemson, FSU, NC State, BC, Maryland, Pitt (as our crossover rival) and 2 random Coastal teams. Seeing as we were 4-1 in our OOC slate (including Wake) we would have needed to go 2-7 against the ACC (as opposed to the 1-6 we did against the mighty Big East).

If we assume whatever team we replaced Wake with on the OOC schedule was still a win, we'd have needed 1 more ACC win (assuming we'd still beat Wake in conference). Where would that come from?

Clemson? No.
FSU? Doubtful.
NC State, BC? If we couldn't beat Rutgers and UConn I'm not sure why we'd feel we could beat them.

Guess our only shot would be either to have beaten Maryland or hope Duke was one of our 2 Coastal games.

Maryland was pretty bad, I guess that's what would have gotten us over the top?

Of course we also skirted by powerhouses like Toledo and Tulane last year, so I'm not sure we can count any opponent as a sure W.
pretty sure the author of that was another one of those graduates from BigEast University.

and going forward there will be more BigEast teams in the ACC than in the bigeast.

I expect that they wanted to include at least one coach from every major conference. Who else would you take take from the BE:
Cinci/Louisville - Returning co-champions
Rutgers/Pitt/Temple - Brand new coaches
Uconn- Coach P starting 2nd season
South Fla - a possibility coming off a disappointing season, but Holtz has the name and more history to fall back on

That pick six drop still hurts.
so does not going for it on 4 and six inches or throwing a slant pattern from the two yard line all plays that i wish we could have over this year will be better more play makers Doug is year better as well

Bunk

The ranking is way off but how is his synopsis bunk? Did SU not give up those point totals on D? Did the offense not struggle big time down the stretch? Come on even you have to acknowledge the disaster that was the last 5 games.

Come on even you have to acknowledge the disaster that was the last 5 games.

It's only a "disaster" because it happened last year.

If Syracuse goes 8 and 4 this year, the 5 game skid will be a "wake up call that made everyone work harder and want to prove everyone wrong this season."

If Syracuse goes 4 and 8 this year, the 5 game skid will be a warning sign for the talent not being there.

If Syracuse goes 6 and 6 with another faulty stretch run, the 5 game skid will be a typical Marrone late season collapse.

Better than GRob, but who isnt ? I'd like to try someone different.

What is it HCDM has done that makes going a different direction seem unrealistic?

We have no playmakers ???

Do Sales and Broyld know this ?

Or was the writer just lazy, and tried to project next season's success based on the players from last year's roster.

It's only a "disaster" because it happened last year.

If Syracuse goes 8 and 4 this year, the 5 game skid will be a "wake up call that made everyone work harder and want to prove everyone wrong this season."

If Syracuse goes 4 and 8 this year, the 5 game skid will be a warning sign for the talent not being there.

If Syracuse goes 6 and 6 with another faulty stretch run, the 5 game skid will be a typical Marrone late season collapse.

Sorry I disagree, even if SU went 10-2 this year it doesn't change the fact that the last 5 games last year were a disaster. It doesnt mean Doug and the team cant rebound this year and make a bowl game and in fact I expect them to.

We have no playmakers ???

Do Sales and Broyld know this ?

Or was the writer just lazy, and tried to project next season's success based on the players from last year's roster.

I dont disagree but hard to call Brolyd a D1A playmaker when hes played zero snaps at this level and is a freshmen. Sales should be a playmaker and I think a lot of us have high hopes for him this year, but again outside of the Pinstripe game Sales hasnt been someone you could label as a "playmaker"

so does not going for it on 4 and six inches or throwing a slant pattern from the two yard line all plays that i wish we could have over this year will be better more play makers Doug is year better as well

I hated both of those calls but the 4th and inches we got points and still had a chance to fumble away the win in OT.

The slant call I even kind of get but not throwing it to the WR that we did. The play works if the WR catches it vs having it bounce up in the air off of him.

What a miserable game that was for so many reasons