Let the hot seat talk begin | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Let the hot seat talk begin

We have no playmakers ???

Do Sales and Broyld know this ?

Or was the writer just lazy, and tried to project next season's success based on the players from last year's roster.

What evidence would the writer have to say that?

We have no playmakers ???

Do Sales and Broyld know this ?

Or was the writer just lazy, and tried to project next season's success based on the players from last year's roster.

Hysterical.

How DARE that writer not just assume that a relatively unheralded frosh who's never played a snap, and a kid last seen in the backseat of a cop car, are not guaranteed playmakers.

HOW DARE HE?!

I think if a writer wants to be "fair" and is going to be critical of SU's offense and say there were no playmakers, then he should also mention the return of Sales and Tyson-Gulley, and perhaps a healthy Lemon. He doesn't have to mention Broyld, as he hasn't done anything yet.

Alec Lemon is a playmaker and will be a huge part of the offense again.

I agree, but the question was what about Sales and Broyld. Even 1 play maker of evidence, Lemon, I can see where the writer thinks we have problems there.

I think if a writer wants to be "fair" and is going to be critical of SU's offense and say there were no playmakers, then he should also mention the return of Sales and Tyson-Gulley, and perhaps a healthy Lemon. He doesn't have to mention Broyld, as he hasn't done anything yet.

Well its not like PTG has a long history of achievement. And Lemon is a nice receiver, but he's not someone who'd be considered a "playmaker", at least in the way most football fans define that.

Well its not like PTG has a long history of achievement. And Lemon is a nice receiver, but he's not someone who'd be considered a "playmaker", at least in the way most football fans define that.

Perhaps, but when they are your best players at the position, and they are out (or not 100%), there is a pretty good reason why some plays aren't being made.

Perhaps, but when they are your best players at the position, and they are out (or not 100%), there is a pretty good reason why some plays aren't being made.

No, I get it. I'm just saying that an outsider isn't going to look at PTG's paltry contributions, or Lemon's past stats and say "those guys are playmakers!".

It's not like we're returning Mike Williams and Delone Carter.

I agree, but the question was what about Sales and Broyld. Even 1 play maker of evidence, Lemon, I can see where the writer thinks we have problems there.

As Scooch and I noted above Broyld is basically a true Freshman who has never played a snap at the D1 level, you cant lable him a playmaker. Sales maybe but lets be honest here the kid outside of one game has been either on the bench or a 3rd or 4th option as a possession receiver. I expect him to be a playmaker this year but he hasnt been in his career so far.

Ok. To correct the writers synopsis it should say that SU is revitalized with playmakers on offense based on the return from suspension of a 5th year WR who made big plays in one game 2 years ago, they also return their backup TB who was injured last season, and is projected to once again be the backup, and they have a true FR QB that they will utilize at TB, FB, TE, and WR because he will be better than players that were recruited to play those positions. So obvious when you really look at it I don't know how he could have missed it.

Better than GRob, but who isnt ? I'd like to try someone different.

What is it HCDM has done that makes going a different direction seem unrealistic?

Who, for example? Or does your job end with pointing out a need for a change and some others are left to implement that change.

Are you aware at all that it's perfectly reasonable that Marrone's succesor will do worse than Marrone? I can point out innumerable instances where a new coach has had less success than his predecessor, who was fired because he wasn't meeting expectations.

I believe that firing Fridge at Maryland and replacing him with Edsall will yield no better results and things could easily worsen. Yet the noise from the Terrapin Club sounded very much like the "Marrone's on the hot seat" balogna on this board.

Who's going to take this job if Marrone is axed? We aren't going to interviewing the top prospects. Three coaches in a row fired for not producing results in ten years isn't exactly the situation the best HC prospects are looking for.

SU football fans better hope Marrone succeeds because 1. The University isn't going to fire him for at least another 3 or 4 years. And 2 - Whoever replaces him is going to be a crapshoot at best.

Who, for example? Or does your job end with pointing out a need for a change and some others are left to implement that change.

Are you aware at all that it's perfectly reasonable that Marrone's succesor will do worse than Marrone? I can point out innumerable instances where a new coach has had less success than his predecessor, who was fired because he wasn't meeting expectations.

I believe that firing Fridge at Maryland and replacing him with Edsall will yield no better results and things could easily worsen. Yet the noise from the Terrapin Club sounded very much like the "Marrone's on the hot seat" balogna on this board.

Who's going to take this job if Marrone is axed? We aren't going to interviewing the top prospects. Three coaches in a row fired for not producing results in ten years isn't exactly the situation the best HC prospects are looking for.

SU football fans better hope Marrone succeeds because 1. The University isn't going to fire him for at least another 3 or 4 years. And 2 - Whoever replaces him is going to be a crapshoot at best.

So you're saying we should get Fridge? The guy knows how to recruit in the ACC, I'm in.

Ok. To correct the writers synopsis it should say that SU is revitalized with playmakers on offense based on the return from suspension of a 5th year WR who made big plays in one game 2 years ago, they also return their backup TB who was injured last season, and is projected to once again be the backup, and they have a true FR QB that they will utilize at TB, FB, TE, and WR because he will be better than players that were recruited to play those positions. So obvious when you really look at it I don't know how he could have missed it.

Perfect. Oh, and more competition at Punter.

So you're saying we should get Fridge? The guy knows how to recruit in the ACC, I'm in.

I'm not ready to say that. But that's the ilk of guy that we could entice to take the job. We'll be able to get someone that's damaged or someone who will take a huge risk because of the percieved high reward (e.g. a current assistant coach at a successful program who really wants to be a HC. We're going to be shopping at Nordstrom's Rack not Nieman-Marcus.

To me the biggest, biggest mistake we made was not offering the job to George O'Leary. Screw a minor lie on a resume. So what? The guy can coach. He knew the school and the team.

Hollering for Marrone's head --- or even circulating this business about a "hot seat" to me is insane. It's counter productive. It damages, not helps, the program.

Sorry but Marrone doesnt have at least 3-4 years, he will get this year and next unless the team totally bombs out.

1)I believe that firing Fridge at Maryland and replacing him with Edsall will yield no better results and things could easily worsen. Yet the noise from the Terrapin Club sounded very much like the "Marrone's on the hot seat" balogna on this board.

2)Who's going to take this job if Marrone is axed? We aren't going to interviewing the top prospects. Three coaches in a row fired for not producing results in ten years isn't exactly the situation the best HC prospects are looking for.

3)SU football fans better hope Marrone succeeds because 1. The University isn't going to fire him for at least another 3 or 4 years. And 2 - Whoever replaces him is going to be a crapshoot at best.

Simpleton bluster from a guy named townie. What Balogna !

1)Fridge was a huge winner over many years. What has HCDM done that makes that a comparison? A Pinestripe Bowl season playing two lower division teams?

2)3 coaches fired would make another HC not interested.....OK...please explain

3)HCDM has 3 or 4 years left...please explain...seems delusional with tough year coming.
What are the chances of a winning record this year w/all the defections, lack of redshirts and the schedule.

Why not try something else? Tell me what HCDM has done that he cant be replaced?
Does it cancel out the boneheadedness, play calling, special teams, turnover, etc.

Simpleton bluster from guy named townie. What Balogna !

1)Fridge was a huge winner over many years. What has HCDM done that makes that a comparison? A Pinestripe Bowl season playing two lower division teams?
Hey, if he was able to defeat 2 teams in the same bowl game I don't what division they were from, that's good coaching!
By the way, how many BCS bowls did Fridge take Maryland to?
2)3 coaches fired would make another HC not interested.....OK...please explain
Umm...they would have fired 3 coaches in 10 years for not winning enough...wait wasn't that already said?
3)HCDM has 3 or 4 years left...please explain...seems delusional with tough year coming.
What are the chances of a winning record this year w/all the defections, lack of redshirts and the schedule.
If we all know there is a tough year coming up why wait? Name one defection under HCDM that has done something, anything, elswhere.

Why not try something else? Tell me what HCDM has done that he cant be replaced?
Does it cancel out the boneheadedness, play calling, special teams, turnover, etc.
This is the easy one, he went to SU. Tom Coughlin ain't taking the job, Al Davis ain't taking this job. Just think we could have had Turner Gill...actually he's available again!

And if Townie is such a simpleton, why can't you understand his points?

Hollering for Marrone's head --- or even circulating this business about a "hot seat" to me is insane. It's counter productive. It damages, not helps, the program.

I agree with this wholeheartedly.

I'm afraid if you can't see that finding a replacement for Marrone is going to be an extremely tough job there's little we can talk about. And there is no guarantee of success. In fact, it's a crapshoot.

Who do you think is going to be interested in the SU job? I'll guarantee you we end up with either a retread with HC experience or an Asst Coach, which is really a gamble. We are not going to get the top prospect.

Gross is not going to want to admit another bad pick in Marrone. He's going to stick with him until the bitter end. And that means several more years.

I have been an SU fan for 40+ years and I have experienced all of the ups and downs. And I have watched how the University manages things an approaches problems.You can believe it or not, but Marrone is here at least three more years and probably five.

Believe me or don't. No skin off my nose.

I'm not ready to say that. But that's the ilk of guy that we could entice to take the job. We'll be able to get someone that's damaged or someone who will take a huge risk because of the percieved high reward (e.g. a current assistant coach at a successful program who really wants to be a HC. We're going to be shopping at Nordstrom's Rack not Nieman-Marcus.

To me the biggest, biggest mistake we made was not offering the job to George O'Leary. Screw a minor lie on a resume. So what? The guy can coach. He knew the school and the team.

I totally agree on all points. Oh, and I would "settle" for Fridge or O'Leary ;)

You sure about Nordstrom? I was thinking more like Marshalls or TJ Maxx.

so does not going for it on 4 and six inches or throwing a slant pattern from the two yard line all plays that i wish we could have over this year will be better more play makers Doug is year better as well

The decision to get points did not bother me.

The slant pass is something Marrone has done in the past with success - in 2010 we did it for TDs a few times.

So, those aspects of the game, though certainly frustrating, do not bother me as much as the dropped pick six.

The ranking is way off but how is his synopsis bunk? Did SU not give up those point totals on D? Did the offense not struggle big time down the stretch? Come on even you have to acknowledge the disaster that was the last 5 games.

Disaster is far too strong a word given where the program was in year three of the Marrone era.

We lost two or maybe three games that we could have won.

And at the Pitt game the team made a bunch of mistakes early and yet had the ball at the end with a chance to win.

The Orange did not quit.

It was not a disaster, just a bump in the road.

Simpleton bluster from guy named townie. What Balogna !​
1)Fridge was a huge winner over many years. What has HCDM done that makes that a comparison? A Pinestripe Bowl season playing two lower division teams?​
Hey, if he was able to defeat 2 teams in the same bowl game I don't what division they were from, that's good coaching!
*Answer: note season: Tell me that was a joke, not developmental.
By the way, how many BCS bowls did Fridge take Maryland to?
*Answer: BCS for Cuse? Nothing wrong with aiming high but most would trade Fridge's record for say Grob or HCDM.
2)3 coaches fired would make another HC not interested.....OK...please explain​
Umm...they would have fired 3 coaches in 10 years for not winning enough...wait wasn't that already said?
*Answer: your right...the HC job would just stay open forever. Its only one million a year...
3)HCDM has 3 or 4 years left...please explain...seems delusional with tough year coming.​
What are the chances of a winning record this year w/all the defections, lack of redshirts and the schedule.​
If we all know there is a tough year coming up why wait? Name one defection under HCDM that has done something, anything, elswhere.
*Answer:bunch of defections have gotten pro tryouts, but real issue is depth forcing true frosh to play, making bad special teams, etc.
Why not try something else? Tell me what HCDM has done that he cant be replaced?​
Does it cancel out the boneheadedness, play calling, special teams, turnover, etc.This is the easy one, he went to SU. Tom Coughlin ain't taking the job, Al Davis ain't taking this job. Just think we could have had Turner Gill...actually he's available again!
*Answer:because he went to SU, thats it? Thats all you could come up with?
Last response, cry all you want. We can revisit this at end of season.

This is the easy one, he went to SU. Tom Coughlin ain't taking the job, Al Davis ain't taking this job. Just think we could have had Turner Gill...actually he's available again!

And if Townie is such a simpleton, why can't you understand his points?
*Answer, make that simpleton(s).

*Answer:bunch of defections have gotten pro tryouts, but real issue is depth forcing true frosh to play, making bad special teams, etc.

Who, aside from Legree, has gotten a look from an NFL team?