Let the hot seat talk begin | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Let the hot seat talk begin

Disaster is far too strong a word given where the program was in year three of the Marrone era.

We lost two or maybe three games that we could have won.

And at the Pitt game the team made a bunch of mistakes early and yet had the ball at the end with a chance to win.

The Orange did not quit.

It was not a disaster, just a bump in the road.

Sorry but a 5 game losing streak which included losses to Cincy playing a backup QB that scored 3 total points the week before, a Uconn team runnign the same three plays the entire second half with a D2 QB, and a Horrible South Florida team who beat 1 BE opp all year is a disaster. We had a chance for back to back bowl games in Marrone's third year that would have been huge not only media/image wise but from a team standpoint with the extra practice time. A 5 game losing streak and one of the worst collapses in program history isnt a bump in the road.

Simpleton bluster from a guy named townie. What Balogna !

1)Fridge was a huge winner over many years. What has HCDM done that makes that a comparison? A Pinestripe Bowl season playing two lower division teams?

2)3 coaches fired would make another HC not interested.....OK...please explain

3)HCDM has 3 or 4 years left...please explain...seems delusional with tough year coming.
What are the chances of a winning record this year w/all the defections, lack of redshirts and the schedule.

Why not try something else? Tell me what HCDM has done that he cant be replaced?
Does it cancel out the boneheadedness, play calling, special teams, turnover, etc.
I've been yelled at by people for being "too mean" to them on the board before, but hell, you're an idiot and I have no clue where any of the crap coming out of your mouth is from. The "Fridge" spent ten years at Maryland and then spent twenty years coaching college ball before that. Marrone had five years experience in the college ranks before coming here; that makes a huge difference, especially with establishing recruiting ties. The "Fridge" got the cupboard handed to him completely full, and then when the kids he recruited became upper classmen he had his 5-6 year. Outside of Mike Williams Marrone was left with nothing, and he didn't even play the whole season! The fact that you are even comparing that two is ridiculous. It's like comparing an inner city kids' academic success to a kid that was raised with a silver spoon in his mouth.

We have no playmakers ???

Do Sales and Broyld know this ?

Or was the writer just lazy, and tried to project next season's success based on the players from last year's roster.
here's a novel idea how about we stop talking about broyld as a this and that, let the kid alone and play football before we hang all kinds of stuff on him. get off the pressure ---geezes----

Bunk
This post is hilarious because Go is the poster and OrangePA liked it.

Yeah, I'm a tool for pointing that out. But I'm a tool that drives a Dodge Stratus.

Psst. I don't really drive a Dodge Stratus.

Sorry but a 5 game losing streak which included losses to Cincy playing a backup QB that scored 3 total points the week before, a Uconn team runnign the same three plays the entire second half with a D2 QB, and a Horrible South Florida team who beat 1 BE opp all year is a disaster. We had a chance for back to back bowl games in Marrone's third year that would have been huge not only media/image wise but from a team standpoint with the extra practice time. A 5 game losing streak and one of the worst collapses in program history isnt a bump in the road.

Sorry but we've had this discussion and you're dead wrong.

Cincy, Pitt, and USF were all much more talented than we were last year. Cincy and USF flat out beat us - they were bigger, stronger and faster. They had better players at virtually every position including QB - the Cincy QB was very talented.

Even UConn had better players at key positions including OL, DL, much of the defensive side, Kicker, punter and KO Return.

Your effort to transform a disappointing five win season into something epic is wrong.

Were you around in 1973 or 1974 or 1982?

Were you around in 2005 when we won one game?

Or the other Robinson seasons when I think we won two or three games?

The description of last season as a disaster is reflective of a myopic view of our talent level brought about by a surprising 2010 season that was based in large measure on a number of experienced players - including I think seven starters on defense - who graduated after the Pinstripe Bowl.

My goodness.

The writer said:

The offense looks as if it will lack playmakers again, which bodes ill.

And that's his/her main justification for putting Marrone on a top 10 hot seat list nationally? Even the writer is unsure if SU will lack playmakers in 2012.

Cincy, Pitt, and USF were all much more talented than we were last year. Cincy and USF flat out beat us - they were bigger, stronger and faster. They had better players at virtually every position including QB - the Cincy QB was very talented.

Even UConn had better players at key positions including OL, DL, much of the defensive side, Kicker, punter and KO Return.

Your effort to transform a disappointing five win season into something epic is wrong.

Were you around in 1973 or 1974 or 1982?

Were you around in 2005 when we won one game?

Or the other Robinson seasons when I think we won two or three games?

The description of last season as a disaster is reflective of a myopic view of our talent level brought about by a surprising 2010 season that was based in large measure on a number of experienced players - including I think seven starters on defense - who graduated after the Pinstripe Bowl.

My goodness.

LOL if you honestly believe what you just wrote then god help you. Uconn and USF were much more talented then SU??? USF won one BE game and that was versus us, UConn lost to Central Michigan (or someone like that) and Vandy. Also you contradict yourself left and right, first you said we made a ton of mistakes early and still almost beat Pitt yet now they are much more talented and we had no chance? The fact you said the UC qb was good proves you clearly A. didnt watch the game or B. wont take the su glasses off because that kid stunk. Rutgers the week before held them to 100 total yards and 3 points the kid was tore apart by his own fan base but now according to you hes really good? You make Cincy, USF, Uconn and Pitt sounds like Texas, Florida, Ohio State, and USC. Those teams were all not superior to SU in talent and players stop making execuses.

Yes I was there for 2005 but I wasnt born yet for 73, 74, and just missed 82. What do any of those years have to do with last year? You and others keep pointing to the pinstripe bowl as some beacon of sucess yet when we point out the 5 game death knell last year you and others just brush it aside.

I don't understand how you can accept certain things in your viewpoint at the same time.

Your argument is that talent level wins.

Which would seem to indicate that coaching doesn't matter all that much.

But when Marrone gets criticized you are very quick to defend him as a good coach.

Shouldn't a good coach negate some disparity in talent level, meaning there should be some expectation that pulling out a win against the Cinci, Pitt, USF and Buttgers cohort of the world isn't unreasonable? We're not talking about playing the SEC here, these Big East teams have modest talent at best.

I don't understand how you can accept certain things in your viewpoint at the same time.

Your argument is that talent level wins.

Which would seem to indicate that coaching doesn't matter all that much.

But when Marrone gets criticized you are very quick to defend him as a good coach.

Shouldn't a good coach negate some disparity in talent level, meaning there should be some expectation that pulling out a win against the Cinci, Pitt, USF and Buttgers cohort of the world isn't unreasonable? We're not talking about playing the SEC here, these Big East teams have modest talent at best.

Your post is spot on, those last 5 games were not lost because those other BE teams were much more talented then us, that premise is nonsense. If that were true we wouldnt have blasted WVU by 35+ and been about a dozen missed opportunities away from blowing out Rutgers. We lost those last 5 games for a variety of reasons including talent, coaching, missed opportunities, turnovers, and mailing it in when we got down late in the year to USF. The fallacy that somehow we were completely out talented across the board is nonsense. If Uconn was really better OL, DL, much of the defensive side, Kicker, punter and KO Return how the hell did we move the ball up and down the field at will in the second half scoring 3-4 td's and how did we cause 4 first half turnovers?

anyone with complete faith in marrone at this juncture is :crazy:

his offense alone is enough to give a dead serious doubt-

he hasnt recruited anyone on offense thats done more than the left overs- just kids who get hype in type-this kid is so fast he will start as a freshman and be all american,that kid will start at qb as a freshman he has everything ect ect ect

the fact macky is penciled in at center is scary as hell- almost looks like marrone is allergic to recruiting centers-and he ran out of robinson centers long ago

i also dont like the fact he burned aam redshirt when the kid was clearly out of shape,half way thru the season and the kid was still 40-50lbs over weight-no wonder he got injured-

maybe marone will work out in the end-

i just havent seen enough improvement in his side of the game(offense) to think he will be a long time guy-

any dc other than shafer and he wouldnt have made it to this season-yes i know defense went back a bit-but if you say shafer didnt contribute more on his side than marrone the first 2 years,you have no clue- give the man some legit linebackers and he can raise some hell-marrone hasnt supplied them

Outside of Mike Williams Marrone was left with nothing.

I'll ask this question for the 100th time and hope it doesn't continue to be ignored.

If Marrone was left with nothing, how the hell dis he go 8-5 in year 2 including a bowl win?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

anyone with complete faith in marrone at this juncture is :crazy:

his offense alone is enough to give a dead serious doubt-

he hasnt recruited anyone on offense thats done more than the left overs- just kids who get hype in type-this kid is so fast he will start as a freshman and be all american,that kid will start at qb as a freshman he has everything ect ect ect

the fact macky is penciled in at center is scary as hell- almost looks like marrone is allergic to recruiting centers-and he ran out of robinson centers long ago

i also dont like the fact he burned aam redshirt when the kid was clearly out of shape,half way thru the season and the kid was still 40-50lbs over weight-no wonder he got injured-

maybe marone will work out in the end-

i just havent seen enough improvement in his side of the game(offense) to think he will be a long time guy-

any dc other than shafer and he wouldnt have made it to this season-yes i know defense went back a bit-but if you say shafer didnt contribute more on his side than marrone the first 2 years,you have no clue- give the man some legit linebackers and he can raise some hell-marrone hasnt supplied them

The highlighted passages of your post suggest that (a) you think AAM is not that talented. So (b) why do you care if a red shirt was burned or not?

I saw a lot of improvement by SU in HCDM year 1. I saw additional improvement in year 2. (And a bowl game.) Year three was a set back. Year 4 may be a return to forward progress. That's my expectation. And I don't think that's :crazy: at all.

I totally agree on all points. Oh, and I would "settle" for Fridge or O'Leary ;)

You sure about Nordstrom? I was thinking more like Marshalls or TJ Maxx.

More like shopping at Salvation Army.

I suspect there's a lot of truth in here posted by various people. I agree Marrone has only two years left if Syracuse doesn't show improvement. With the OCC this year I think that's unlikely...next year will probably be the first in the ACC and will probably be a tough go as well. So Marrone gets fired, and OttointheGrotto celebrates...right up until the moment we hire some POS washed-up schmuck that proceeds to make the GRob era look like the glory days. Because nobody will want this job if we fire Marrone after 2013. Nobody.

And SU ends up right where I keep expecting them to, an annual homecoming day opponent for everyone including Duke - with no fans to bee seen until Midnight Madness in November. I think we should all be hoping Marrone can somehow perform a miracle and get to a bowl game in the next two years...because otherwise we'll be looking back on that Pinstripe Bowl win as a dead cat bounce.

Did you see the Rochester scrimmage or the Spring Game? The O-Line has much bigger problems than Macky.

He may be smallish, but he has great foot work and gets into his block quickly.

We get it. You don't think he's a quality player. Enough with it already.

And that whole Robinson centers comment- at least Macky can snap to a QB in shotgun.

Did you see the Rochester scrimmage or the Spring Game? The O-Line has much bigger problems than Macky.
is
He may be smallish, but he has great foot work and gets into his block quickly.

We get it. You don't think he's a quality player. Enough with it already.

And that whole Robinson centers comment- at least Macky can snap to a QB in shotgun.

Agreed Macky is the least of our problems, he can do a serviceable job which at this point is what we need.

I suspect there's a lot of truth in here posted by various people. I agree Marrone has only two years left if Syracuse doesn't show improvement. With the OCC this year I think that's unlikely...next year will probably be the first in the ACC and will probably be a tough go as well. So Marrone gets fired, and OttointheGrotto celebrates...right up until the moment we hire some POS washed-up schmuck that proceeds to make the GRob era look like the glory days. Because nobody will want this job if we fire Marrone after 2013. Nobody.

Sorry but that quote about no one wanting the job is Bull Sh#t, your talking about a million dollar year BCS job in the ACC people would be lining up out the door.

And SU ends up right where I keep expecting them to, an annual homecoming day opponent for everyone including Duke - with no fans to bee seen until Midnight Madness in November. I think we should all be hoping Marrone can somehow perform a miracle and get to a bowl game in the next two years...because otherwise we'll be looking back on that Pinstripe Bowl win as a dead cat bounce.
I'm not going to celebrate if Marrone gets fired. I genuinely want to see the guy succeed.

The thing is, I don't think that in college football that the things Marrone wants to do can succeed consistently. Oh, I know, I'm not a football coach, there's no reason to believe me. It's just that between the end of Pasqualoni, Robinson, and now Marrone I've seen such unimaginative football for such a long time, and yeah, I'm not as interested in Syracuse football anymore because it just isn't fun. Which is tough, because we're living in an era where college football is an absolute blast, and a lot of Orange fans just don't see that or want to accept that the truth that it just isn't that hard to score touchdowns.

macky serviceable?lol

and allforsu-how did you get a talent comment from a fat kid post? did he really do more than the robinson kids with his 6 plays?

hey lemoyne - did the line look bad in rochester because it was split like you have been saying for weeks-make up your mind

team will survive if marrone is fired-its asinine to think no one will take the job if marrone is canned-

that excuse has to be the most hilarious -the apologists can talk out of both sides of their mouth like crazy

su football isnt fun right now-and thats on no one but marrone

It's an all time collapse and choke job. And anyone who spins it into not that big a deal and those teams we lost too were really good and starts spewing that BS, they are just blind homers who don't have a clue. Those teams SU lost too were terrible. Really terrible! And SU only needed to win 1, just 1. Not all of them, just 1. And they couldn't.

Agree! And only 2 Big East teams had guys drafted in Rd 1 last weekend. And SYRACUSE was one of them. So the talent level wasn't that bad! Oh and the other 1st round pick, he cam from a team that SU beat by about 5 touchdowns and everyone said is the worst 1st round pick in forever and a huge reach. So if Seattle doesn't make a DUMB pick the ONLY 1st round pick from the Big East is from Syracuse. So that bad talent level compared to the rest of the conference argument really holds no validity.

Your post is spot on, those last 5 games were not lost because those other BE teams were much more talented then us, that premise is nonsense. If that were true we wouldnt have blasted WVU by 35+ and been about a dozen missed opportunities away from blowing out Rutgers. We lost those last 5 games for a variety of reasons including talent, coaching, missed opportunities, turnovers, and mailing it in when we got down late in the year to USF. The fallacy that somehow we were completely out talented across the board is nonsense. If Uconn was really better OL, DL, much of the defensive side, Kicker, punter and KO Return how the hell did we move the ball up and down the field at will in the second half scoring 3-4 td's and how did we cause 4 first half turnovers?
we lost those games due to coaching period. bad decisions, NO TEAM CHEMISTRY OR CONFIDENCE, kids playing confused and scared. that is all on marrone---i repeat all on marrone. my hope is that he had recognized this and that was one of the reasons for the closed practices. if he hasn't realized it, his tenure will be short lived

we lost those games due to coaching period. bad decisions, NO TEAM CHEMISTRY OR CONFIDENCE, kids playing confused and scared. that is all on marrone---i repeat all on marrone. my hope is that he had recognized this and that was one of the reasons for the closed practices. if he hasn't realized it, his tenure will be short lived

Marrone has realized it. He got the message loud and clear. That's why spring practice was closed. That's why Marrone has moved his office- so he can be more accessible to the players. He's trying to chill out and be on better terms with the team.

macky serviceable?lol

hey lemoyne - did the line look bad in rochester because it was split like you have been saying for weeks-make up your mind

What are you asking me? I haven't been flip-flopping on anything. Pugh was healthy for Rochester, and the line played much better there.

During the spring game, Andy Phillips was literally shoved to the ground by (I think) Jay Bromley milliseconds after he snapped the ball. In two years and a spring, I have never seen anything like that happen to Macky.

Where do you get off always targeting this one player? Do you even watch the team?

Marrone has realized it. He got the message loud and clear. That's why spring practice was closed. That's why Marrone has moved his office- so he can be more accessible to the players. He's trying to chill out and be on better terms with the team.
great to hear!!!!!how did he get the message??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom