Let's be honest | Syracusefan.com

Let's be honest

ImperialOrange

Living Legend
If Grant plays, Syracuse will easily have the 3 best players on the court today. We will also have a hall of fame coach running the show.

Who's afraid of a wahoo?

If Grant plays, Syracuse will easily have the 3 best players on the court today. We will also have a hall of fame coach running the show.

Who's afraid of a wahoo?

Agreed, but if you look at their record since losing inexplicably at Tennessee by 35, it is quite impressive:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/_/id/258/virginia-cavaliers

Duke was lucky to beat them at Duke. UVA had them by one, and Hood threw up an air ball 3. Jefferson got the rebound, kicked it to Sulaiman, who sucked in a 3, the ball bouncing high in the air then going in. Most everyone else UVA has beaten by double digits. They beat Pitt at Pitt. They have a 12 game win streak right now, and it should be 16. Sometimes teams are better than the sum of their parts, and that is UVA right now.

If we play our "A" game we will win, but anything less and we won't like the outcome.

Yeah, it will be a close game but I only base that on the fact that our last hundred or so games have been close games ...

OrangeTarheel said:
Yeah, it will be a close game but I only base that on the fact that our last hundred or so games have been close games ...

Stop it you're exaggerating. 100? No way. It's only been the last 99 games that have been close.

This is a much needed win for Syracuse as far as getting things back on track. Let's hope our offense is not so stagnate today. UVA is ready to give us a punch in the mouth. I hope we take it and then unload on them. I want to see our offense like the nova or first Duke game. Come on boys let's finish this ACC take over with a solid win and strong finish

Agreed, but if you look at their record since losing inexplicably at Tennessee by 35, it is quite impressive:

Duke was lucky to beat them at Duke. UVA had them by one, and Hood threw up an air ball 3. Jefferson got the rebound, kicked it to Sulaiman, who sucked in a 3, the ball bouncing high in the air then going in. Most everyone else UVA has beaten by double digits. They beat Pitt at Pitt. They have a 12 game win streak right now, and it should be 16. Sometimes teams are better than the sum of their parts, and that is UVA right now.

If we play our "A" game we will win, but anything less and we won't like the outcome.
In my eyes their guards are pretty good.

In my eyes their guards are pretty good.

Their core players are all big, physical, and experienced upperclassmen. UVA is no fluke. This will be a great game. Let's hope it is not decided by some egotistical referee.

They beat Pitt at Pitt the same way we did...on a buzzer 3 pt shot. They're a very good team but let's not make them into supermen.

This UVA team is good. Period.

I would be incredibly happy with a win here but am not going to lose my mind should we lose.

I think it's as close to a coinflip as you'll get, with a slight edge to the home team for exactly that reason. Losing @ Duke and @ VA is nothing to sneeze at. Losing at home to BC, that's a different type of L.

Go 'cuse.

They beat Pitt at Pitt the same way we did...on a buzzer 3 pt shot. They're a very good team but let's not make them into supermen.

Let's stick with the thread title. Their win at Pitt was quite different than ours. They were tied, and UVA hit a 3 at the buzzer from just beyond the circle in the halfcourt off a well-constructed play. Had they missed, they go OT. Our win was off, while also well-constructed in its way, a "play" that resulted in little more than a heavily-guarded 40 foot Hail Mary that had little chance of going in. If it missed, we go home.

Also in the UVA-Pitt game, Pitt hit a miracle three tied at 41 - heavily-guarded fallaway desperado off the backboard as the 35-second clock expired. And UVA still found a way to win.

No they are not supermen, and I never said they were. But don't confuse them with Eastern Michigan, either.

Their core players are all big, physical, and experienced upperclassmen. UVA is no fluke. This will be a great game. Let's hope it is not decided by some egotistical referee.
Any Tony Bennett-coached team is going to be very disciplined, technically solid, tough to turnover and strong defensively.
This will be a halfcourt battle.
I'd like to see some early points off our defense because after UVA sees it...the transition won't be there very often. Put points in the bank while we can.
Doubt this game will get out of the 50's.

Let's stick with the thread title. Their win at Pitt was quite different than ours. They were tied, and UVA hit a 3 at the buzzer from just beyond the circle in the halfcourt off a well-constructed play. Had they missed, they go OT. Our win was off, while also well-constructed in its way, a "play" that resulted in little more than a heavily-guarded 40 foot Hail Mary that had little chance of going in. If it missed, we go home.

Also in the UVA-Pitt game, Pitt hit a miracle three tied at 41 - heavily-guarded fallaway desperado off the backboard as the 35-second clock expired. And UVA still found a way to win.

No they are not supermen, and I never said they were. But don't confuse them with Eastern Michigan, either.

If your point is that Virginia is a good team and will be a stout challenge on the road, I don't think anybody denies it. It is fact. But arguments like the above are weak in the extreme. You are getting into transience theory junk with this "they won a 3 on a set play and we won on a running 3" crap. It's just so illogical to try to use such circumstantial stuff as that to try to compare teams. They are good, we are good. It will be a tough challenge for both teams. Leave it at that.

If your point is that Virginia is a good team and will be a stout challenge on the road, I don't think anybody denies it. It is fact. But arguments like the above are weak in the extreme. You are getting into transience theory junk with this "they won a 3 on a set play and we won on a running 3" crap. It's just so illogical to try to use such circumstantial stuff as that to try to compare teams. They are good, we are good. It will be a tough challenge for both teams. Leave it at that.

I was responding to Madbiker's saying that "They beat Pitt at Pitt the same way we did...on a buzzer 3 pt shot." I merely demonstrated that the two endings were, in fact, quite different. No "weak" "illogical" "circumstantial" "transcience theory junk" whatsoever - just fact.

LGO.