Let's get this out of the way now - The myth of 15 practices | Syracusefan.com

Let's get this out of the way now - The myth of 15 practices

texascpa

Living Legend
There is no such thing as 15 practices for a bowl game. It's 20 hours per week , maximum 4 days. the 15-day rule is for SPRING PRACTICES only. Now, it may be that a school gets about 15 days from the application of the rule, but it is NOT the rule.

Practice rules apply year-round with exceptions based on Spring practice and when your season ends. If you are in a bowl game, your season has not ended, so you still apply the normal 20 hours, 4 days a week rule:

NCAA Practice Rules

17.1.7.1 Daily and Weekly Hour Limitations -- Playing Season. A student-athlete's participation in countable athletically related activities (see Bylaw 17.02.1) shall be limited to a maximum of four hours per day and 20 hours per week. (Adopted: 1/10/91 effective 8/1/91)

Even if you don't make a bowl, you are allowed certain number of hours of practice, but limited in scope:

Bowl Subdivision Football. Activities between the institution's last contest and January 1 are limited to required weight training, conditioning, review of game film and walk-throughs (see Bylaw 17.02.20). A student-athlete's participation in such activities shall be limited to a maximum of eight hours per week, of which not more than two hours per week may be spent on the viewing of film and participating in walk-throughs. All activities beginning January 1 and outside the playing season shall be conducted pursuant to Bylaw 17.10.6.

15 day myth

Another article

There is no such thing as 15 practices for a bowl game. It's 20 hours per week , maximum 4 days. the 15-day rule is for SPRING PRACTICES only. Now, it may be that a school gets about 15 days from the application of the rule, but it is NOT the rule.

Practice rules apply year-round with exceptions based on Spring practice and when your season ends. If you are in a bowl game, your season has not ended, so you still apply the normal 20 hours, 4 days a week rule:

NCAA Practice Rules

Even if you don't make a bowl, you are allowed certain number of hours of practice, but limited in scope:

15 day myth

Another article

It’s not a “myth”. It ends up being about 15 extra practices with that extended normal schedule.

The same thought rings true. Allows these coaches to continue to coach their guys up, especially the youngon’s on the team.

It’s not a “myth”. It ends up being about 15 extra practices with that extended normal schedule.

The same thought rings true. Allows these coaches to continue to coach their guys up, especially the youngon’s on the team.

To straight out say "We have 15 practices" is wrong, and a myth. If you want to say "great thing is we get about 15 more practices", fine, but that's not what people communicate.

NCAA Practice Rules

15 day myth

Another article

It still looks like a significant advantage in practice time and scope for teams in a bowl . This is critical in development of young players and depth. Something our team has been sorely lacking until recently.

NCAA Practice Rules

15 day myth

Another article

I think you have to make a distinction between the myth of 15 practices and practices in preparation for the bowl game. Your post implies that there is no inherent benefit in terms of player development for bowl teams over non-bowl teams. You're right that there is no mandated 15 practices for bowl teams, but there are practices with the coaches on the field that would not take place if there was no bowl game. The bowl ineligible teams go into conditioning season with limited contact with the on-the-field coaches after the season is over. For the full context, we need bylaw 17.10.6 that applies to post-January 1.

Kinda of like 4 quarters make a dollar. The hours equate to approximately 15 extra practices.

Thank you!! I hate the bowl practices nonsense!

You think having 12 more hours per week to practice, watch film, lift and actually be able to do more than just a walk through isn’t an advantage to developing a team?

To straight out say "We have 15 practices" is wrong, and a myth. If you want to say "great thing is we get about 15 more practices", fine, but that's not what people communicate.

I really don't understand the purpose of this post other than you're annoyed we just went 9-3. It's making an argument just to simply make an argument.

A normal practice schedule will end up being around 15 extra practices over the next 4-5 weeks, possibly more or less depending on how the coaches structure the schedule.

I think you have to make a distinction between the myth of 15 practices and practices in preparation for the bowl game. Your post implies that there is no inherent benefit in terms of player development for bowl teams over non-bowl teams. You're right that there is no mandated 15 practices for bowl teams, but there are practices with the coaches on the field that would not take place if there was no bowl game. The bowl ineligible teams go into conditioning season with limited contact with the on-the-field coaches after the season is over. For the full context, we need bylaw 17.10.6 that applies to post-January 1.

My intent was to provide information that countered the "we get 15 practices during bowl season" posts. I wasn't concerned with post-January 1. The 15 practice rule is related to Spring practice only. Normal in-season practice rules - 20 hours, 4 days a week - is still applied during "bowl season" because it is not differentiated from the regular season. It's considered part of the regular season.

I really don't understand the purpose of this post other than you're annoyed we just went 9-3. It's making an argument just to simply make an argument.

A normal practice schedule will end up being around 15 extra practices over the next 4-5 weeks, possibly more or less depending on how the coaches structure the schedule.

lol. No, I'm annoyed when someone interprets the practice rules incorrectly. Admittedly, it's a nitpik, but I was trying to have fun and be informative.

But, you know, the more I think about it, I did have us winning 10 games this year, so maybe I am annoyed. :D

By my math, which is pretty simple and I'm not checking on dates, if we are in the Camping World Bowl on 12/28, 4 practices x 4 weeks is 16 practices. For a team in the CFP, they have even more. I'm guessing that if you take all the bowl games and average it out, it might be 15 practices?
And are we talking myth like a Greek myth? Or a mythical creature like a griffon? You know, things that definitely didn't exist or a myth like bigfoot, that hasn't been proven to exist or not exist? I just need clarity.

All that matters is we get an extra 75 - 95 live game Offensive snaps / reps, and an extra 60 - 75 defensive snaps

As long as I don't have to practice I'm happy.

::desperately searches for something to be angry about after beating down Boston College::

Dino extension... nah, not yet, it seems Wildhack has a finger on the pulse of this situation.

Bowl Game... hmm, nah, seems like we might get the Camping World.

Recruiting... nope, just had our best recruiting week in a long time.

::sees someone mention 15 extra practices::

CB30B989-401C-40C0-9211-57FCBB09C4FD.gif