Let's Go Cuse!!! | Syracusefan.com

Let's Go Cuse!!!

CuseLifer11

Walk On
We are a great bunch of fans. Having lived in Boston, Atlanta and Florida... no one compares. Every fan base thinks they are the best, but they aren't. We are.

This team is very flawed. But they have heart. We all need to take a step back and lose our agendas when posting and just cheer for the team. Obviously I am a huge Howard fan. I've been around the team a ton the past few years and his transformation is one of the best. Both on the court and off it. When I see emotional fans post on here over and over again things that are just not accurate... it angers me. But why? Silly. It's just sports. Trust me though... he is going to be all ACC next year despite so many bashing him post after post.

Howard W... probably will never play more than 5 mins a game in his career here. Just not quite good enough. But his attitude is an A+.

Everything else I saw at practices this year pretty much matches what happens on the court. Battle is unreal, OB has a great inside game but falls in love with the 3 too much, Sidibe is too raw, Chukwu is improving and Marek gives us alot more than Moyer.

These guys battle hard and we probably only need 9 ACC wins to make the Dance as long as we beat Bonaventure. I remember JB told me before the first game "if we make any threes this year, we will be a tournament team." Jury is still out.

So let's unite a bit, stop looking for faults in players that aren't there and stop propping up guys just because we like them (myself included). We are dependant on 3 guys to have a good game ever night. Period.

Any of them are off, we will probably lose.

GO Cuse.

Good write up! Re: Howard W. If his attitude is A+ and he is serviceable now, why do you think that in three more years he won’t improve? Re: Sidibe raw? Before his injuries, it seemed he was way ahead of most freshman centers we have had here. Do you think he should rest in order to heal?

Thank you for your insights.

We are a great bunch of fans. Having lived in Boston, Atlanta and Florida... no one compares. Every fan base thinks they are the best, but they aren't. We are.

This team is very flawed. But they have heart. We all need to take a step back and lose our agendas when posting and just cheer for the team. Obviously I am a huge Howard fan. I've been around the team a ton the past few years and his transformation is one of the best. Both on the court and off it. When I see emotional fans post on here over and over again things that are just not accurate... it angers me. But why? Silly. It's just sports. Trust me though... he is going to be all ACC next year despite so many bashing him post after post.

Howard W... probably will never play more than 5 mins a game in his career here. Just not quite good enough. But his attitude is an A+.

Everything else I saw at practices this year pretty much matches what happens on the court. Battle is unreal, OB has a great inside game but falls in love with the 3 too much, Sidibe is too raw, Chukwu is improving and Marek gives us alot more than Moyer.

These guys battle hard and we probably only need 9 ACC wins to make the Dance as long as we beat Bonaventure. I remember JB told me before the first game "if we make any threes this year, we will be a tournament team." Jury is still out.

So let's unite a bit, stop looking for faults in players that aren't there and stop propping up guys just because we like them (myself included). We are dependant on 3 guys to have a good game ever night. Period.

GO Cuse.

Nice positive post but I don't get the Howard W comment. First off, the kid hasn't looked out of place in games, secondly projecting that so early on is puzzling. The "he just isn't good enough" stuff ... Again where is the proof?

This team is very flawed. But they have heart. GO Cuse.

Your post has heart! I don't think this team is flawed. I think it has very good potential. As the season goes on the team will get better at both ends.

I agree this team is hard not to like. Any team that rebounds well is always a favorite of the fans. Rebounding is very important. I like this team a lot. We just need more players scoring besides TB, FH, and OB. One or two more players scoring 8-10 points per game will really make this team much better. By March our defense will be elite.

"It's just sport?"

200.gif

Good write up! Re: Howard W. If his attitude is A+ and he is serviceable now, why do you think that in three more years he won’t improve? Re: Sidibe raw? Before his injuries, it seemed he was way ahead of most freshman centers we have had here. Do you think he should rest in order to heal?

image.jpg

GO Cuse.
I have a feeling that the H Washington quote will go down as the stuff of syracusefan.com legend.

Your post has heart! I don't think this team is flawed. I think it has very good potential. As the season goes on the team will get better at both ends.

I agree this team is hard not to like. Any team that rebounds well is always a favorite of the fans. Rebounding is very important. I like this team a lot. We just need more players scoring besides TB, FH, and OB. One or two more players scoring 8-10 points per game will really make this team much better. By March our defense will be elite.
The team is very flawed. We are 330 in 3 pt shooting out of 351. And we have no post up game. Plus, we only have 3 guys that we can depend upon to score. How is that not flawed? On the plus side, I really believe we can become elite defensively. Battle is a great player. And all of the kids want to win very badly. Diving on the floor for loose balls. Rebounding. Keeping balls alive. The 2010 and 2012 team didn't really have flaws. And oh, we only have 8 guys and 5 of them are freshman.

There's that T word that essentially is the difference between this year and last year. This year, SU in fact plays more like a team. Last year, it was a bunch of guys wearing the same uniform. Sure they sometimes played hard, but most often just not together and not well. The only fly in the ointment is when FH dribbles into a crowd in the lane because he wants to score and something less than optimal happens. But he does a lot of other good things more often, so what the heck, it's a lot more fun winning 88-85 than getting beat 55-51. :)

GO Cuse.
It depends a lot on what you expected this year. And halfway through that second exhibition game, we didn't expect much. I am enjoying this team quite a bit. I will feel a lot more pressure next year (as long as OB doesn't do something silly like leave for a lot of money).

Already this team has exceeded expectations for me and has accomplished more than our last few in the non conference. We've banked those wins we were not getting before. They are somewhat like the football team in that an injury or two will really cripple them and limit how successful they can be but I enjoy watching them and as a fan is there really much more to demand?

The team is very flawed. We are 330 in 3 pt shooting out of 351. And we have no post up game. Plus, we only have 3 guys that we can depend upon to score. How is that not flawed? On the plus side, I really believe we can become elite defensively. Battle is a great player. And all of the kids want to win very badly. Diving on the floor for loose balls. Rebounding. Keeping balls alive. The 2010 and 2012 team didn't really have flaws. And oh, we only have 8 guys and 5 of them are freshman.

I don't want to sound disrespectful but making 3 point shots is not the only way to win. And further, there are tons of things you have to do that do not have stats associated with them to win.

In terms of 3 point shots, a few bad games shooting 3 point shots does not mean that is the absolute average for this team. OB needs more experience and will improve his 3-point percentage. FH hardly had any playing time last year and will improve his 3 point shooting percentage. As I said in my post which you choose to ignore is that this team needs to and will get better on both ends. Being 9-1 gives me a lot of hope by March this will be a really good team. I'm just not going to dwell on a few negatives in the statistics which may be false in long run anyway like you are doing. I'm not saying this is a NC team. But I'm thinking 2nd round maybe sweet 16 if we get lucky in our bracket location. Assuming the team continues to improve like I imagine. I hope most people here don't think I'm being too unrealistic. But I don't really care too much what other people think. I like this team. Every game I've ever watch the Orange play I think they are going to win at least for the first five minutes!

Orange!

With Howard and Carey next year and assuming Carey the year after that maybe two after that, it's quite possible.

I really like Carey's game. It's very similar to TBs game.

Already this team has exceeded expectations for me and has accomplished more than our last few in the non conference. We've banked those wins we were not getting before. They are somewhat like the football team in that an injury or two will really cripple them and limit how successful they can be but I enjoy watching them and as a fan is there really much more to demand?

My sentiments exactly!

I don't want to sound disrespectful but making 3 point shots is not the only way to win. And further, there are tons of things you have to do that do not have stats associated with them to win.

In terms of 3 point shots, a few bad games shooting 3 point shots does not mean that is the absolute average for this team. OB needs more experience and will improve his 3-point percentage. FH hardly had any playing time last year and will improve his 3 point shooting percentage. As I said in my post which you choose to ignore is that this team needs to and will get better on both ends. Being 9-1 gives me a lot of hope by March this will be a really good team. I'm just not going to dwell on a few negatives in the statistics which may be false in long run anyway like you are doing. I'm not saying this is a NC team. But I'm thinking 2nd round maybe sweet 16 if we get lucky in our bracket location. Assuming the team continues to improve like I imagine. I hope most people here don't think I'm being too unrealistic. But I don't really care too much what other people think. I like this team. Every game I've ever watch the Orange play I think they are going to win at least for the first five minutes!

Orange!

Wow Dave, you've really turned a 180 from your preseason thoughts from what I remember. I'm more optimistic also but not quite to the point you are yet.

...Everything else I saw at practices this year pretty much matches what happens on the court. Battle is unreal, OB has a great inside game but falls in love with the 3 too much, Sidibe is too raw, Chukwu is improving and Marek gives us alot more than Moyer...

The four frontcourt players, splitting PF & C, are key to the season. Sidibe when healthy gives us more than PC on offense; Chukwu can protect the rim better. They are going to be over-matched against the better centers in the ACC, but at least they provide 10 fouls.

Moyer and Marek are an interesting contrast. Marek is the better passer, contributes at the high post on offense (as a passer), and gets his hands on more offensive rebounds. Just seems to be a bigger cog in the offense, despite not being much of a scorer. Now flip it to the defensive end. Moyer got 11 rebounds against G-Town mostly on defense -- looks like he is at least a match for Marek in defensive rebounding. That's a big deal when our centers are not great on the boards. Marek gets out better on shooters, is better at blocking shots. We'll see how this plays out -- good to have both guys.

Wow Dave, you've really turned a 180 from your preseason thoughts from what I remember. I'm more optimistic also but not quite to the point you are yet.

They proved me wrong. I did not know how good OB was going to be. And who knew FH would be playing this good even though he's not playing good enough for some people. At this point I just wish MM and MD were contributing more. PC has been much better than I thought. I had no idea what BS would be like. My 180 the other direction was based on when we had senior players with 3 or 4 years experience playing the zone. I had no idea what this team would be like. I think FH and OB have been the difference. I expected TB to play this well but he's actually been over achieving my expectations.

However, I was pretty dark at the beginning of this season.

My optimism is based on the years past when March rolls around and the defense becomes elite.

He is more polished than Chukwu but still raw. Sidibe that is. Both our centers struggle but as JB has told us, We r just so young.

I personally think Hughes will be our starting 2 next year and Carey the 3rd guard. And every year I think he will be recruited over. We shall see
I'm far from an expert.

He is more polished than Chukwu but still raw. Sidibe that is. Both our centers struggle but as JB has told us, We r just so young.

I personally think Hughes will be our starting 2 next year and Carey the 3rd guard. And every year I think he will be recruited over. We shall see
I'm far from an expert.

It's not crazy to think that HW won't get a ton of run next year. But it wouldn't surprise me at all to see him start as a junior. Sure, there will be higher rated pg recruits in by then, but unless one is a high 5 star, if HW develops well, he'll start. Like I don't think Goodine will usurp him his freshman year.

It's not crazy to think that HW won't get a ton of run next year. But it wouldn't surprise me at all to see him start as a junior. Sure, there will be higher rated pg recruits in by then, but unless one is a high 5 star, if HW develops well, he'll start. Like I don't think Goodine will usurp him his freshman year.
Agree... but Carey and Hughes will be ahead of him. He will be the 3rd guard as a junior on paper. Hey I hope he becomes a stus but he just isn't there at all right now. Has confidence but not the skill set.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom