Let's have some fun | Syracusefan.com

Let's have some fun

Francis03

All American
As promised Q&A time :) I'll start things off with a few thoughts.

1)The big 3 at the PG position is Ennis, Jordan, and Barber.
2)Memphis and Louisville are the schools that I hear the most for the competition with Ennis.
3)Not sure how serious the interest is in the west coast PG on the other thread but as I've stated before the staff is doing their due diligence on various options.
4)Speaking of west coast PG's, the staff has also shown interest in Jordan McLaughlin. McLaughlin is in the 2014 class and has drawn comparisons to Russell Westbrook.
5)Not sure if either will end up in orange but at this point Tyler Roberson looks to be more likely to get than Jermaine Lawrence.
6)Briscoe is getting a lot of attention and I'm sure those other schools have turned up the negative recruiting against SU to make sure he doesn't commit early.
7)Melo Trimble, Dion Wiley, Malik Starkes, and Adonys Henriquez are some new guards to remember for 2014.

Outside of SU, I'm actually looking forward to see how Shabazz Muhammad and Kyle Anderson perform for UCLA next season. Both were my favorite players in the 2012 class outside of Noel.

Ok I'm done, let's get started.

Francis how would you compare Lawerence to Roberson as far as their potential is concerned and thier "fit" at Syracuse? And Barber is getting more attention recently is that a bad sign with regard to Ennis and Jordan? What are your thoughts on Barber? Finally, another Melo??? Really?? Thanks!

Francis, first off I want to thank you for the great recruiting info you provide...it is much appreciated!

My question: Jabari Parker became the first high school bball underclassman to grace the cover of Sports Illustrated since some guy I'm watching right now name Lebron James. Pretty surprised actually...knew he was really good, but didn't realize he was "cover of SI" good. Your thoughts?

Mind as well load you up with some questions right off the bat:

Haven't heard much about Thomas Bryant (Bishop Kearney rising Soph) during the spring session. Am I just missing the coverage, is he not playing well enough to warrant press, or is he not participating in many events? I was thinking that this summer would be the time where he really "blew up" nationally...but that certainly hasn't been happening yet.

Is obokoh and goodluck options 2 and 3 after anya for 2013 bigs? I know that class lacks legit fives but well need some size

Francis how would you compare Lawerence to Roberson as far as their potential is concerned and thier "fit" at Syracuse? And Barber is getting more attention recently is that a bad sign with regard to Ennis and Jordan? What are your thoughts on Barber? Finally, another Melo??? Really?? Thanks!
1)Both Lawrence and Roberson fit into the SU 3/4 system. Lawrence has the higher upside due to being a little bigger and better defensively but Roberson is very skilled as well.
2)SU has to look at all options. Ennis is clearly the 1st choice but you can't take anything for granted when it comes to recruiting.
3)I like Barber after Ennis. Would rank them in this order 1)Ennis 2)Barber 3)Jordan. Barber is quicker and can handle the ball well but gets too out of control at times. With good coaching I'm sure that it can be fixed.
4)Romelo Trimble is quite the prospect and a Cuse fan as well. I think this Melo wouldn't have a problem going to class ;)

Francis, first off I want to thank you for the great recruiting info you provide...it is much appreciated!

My question: Jabari Parker became the first high school bball underclassman to grace the cover of Sports Illustrated since some guy I'm watching right now name Lebron James. Pretty surprised actually...knew he was really good, but didn't realize he was "cover of SI" good. Your thoughts?
I like Parker but Andrew Wiggins is better imho. My top 5 regardless of class is
1)Wiggins
2)Parker
3)Randle
4)Dakari Johnson
5)Vonleh

Mind as well load you up with some questions right off the bat:

Haven't heard much about Thomas Bryant (Bishop Kearney rising Soph) during the spring session. Am I just missing the coverage, is he not playing well enough to warrant press, or is he not participating in many events? I was thinking that this summer would be the time where he really "blew up" nationally...but that certainly hasn't been happening yet.
His AAU team hasn't played in too many high profiled events lately. He played ok not great in the last major tourney he was in. UNC was the main school that I heard was checking him out during the evaluation period last month.

Has anything cleared up in vonleh's recruitment and do you think he will still reclassify? Thanks for doing this again Francis

Is obokoh and goodluck options 2 and 3 after anya for 2013 bigs? I know that class lacks legit fives but well need some size
Yup. As I've been saying for awhile keep an eye on Obokoh. If Noel came then I'm pretty sure Goodluck would've joined but now not so sure. He's mainly a 4 and unlike Roberson/Lawrence he doesn't give you that position and offensive versatility.

How do you see our chances with Dakari Johnson?
Very good as Johnson really loves SU and the coaches but the main comp will come from Kentucky. Calipari has strong ties to the Johnson camp. Interesting thing is that Cal also likes another top 10 big man in the same class from Chicago name Cliff Alexander, who he also has strong ties to. Both are kind of similar so I doubt he'll land both.

Has anything cleared up in vonleh's recruitment and do you think he will still reclassify? Thanks for doing this again Francis
Still a mystery but I believe he'll end up being in the 2013 class. Looking more and more like another Noel situation as far as the reclassifying drama is concern.

I'll second the "Thank you again for doiong this" comment Francis. Its truely greatly appreciated! If you had to take your best guess at this time at the 2013 class given what you see and feel at this time how do you think it will pan out? Of this list, how many of these players would be "Plan B" type players (that is not a shot at the type of player we might get, it speaks more to us being in the mix for some really elite tallent). Thanks!

Love the thread Francis, going to put you on the spot. What do you think if you were a betting man our most realistic classes will be in 13 and 14? Also, if you had to label anybody a "must get" who would it be?

I'll second the "Thank you again for doiong this" comment Francis. Its truely greatly appreciated! If you had to take your best guess at this time at the 2013 class given what you see and feel at this time how do you think it will pan out? Of this list, how many of these players would be "Plan B" type players (that is not a shot at the type of player we might get, it speaks more to us being in the mix for some really elite tallent). Thanks!
Last month I predicted the 2013 class to be Ennis, Mike G, Obokoh, and possibly one out of the Roberson, Lawrence, Vonleh trio. I had Mike G correct :) and we'll see about the rest. All would be elite in the staff eyes because they're all players that they've put main priorities on. Obokoh is probably the only exception as he's more of a down the road high-upside kind of recruit.

Love the thread Francis, going to put you on the spot. What do you think if you were a betting man our most realistic classes will be in 13 and 14? Also, if you had to label anybody a "must get" who would it be?
Check the last response for 2013 but on 14 and this just throwing stuff out there.
Booth or Newton
Pinson/Aaron/Johnson/Morgan definitely a wing of some kind.
Dakari Johnson

McCullough and Vonleh are tough reads

Dakari is the most important imo because DC2 will most likely be gone by then and SU will definitely need somebody to hold it down with the low post scoring. Plus getting that a penetrating guatd and athletic forward will be key as well. Lots of options though in a very deep class.

On the Wainright question nothing new there as he currently have offers from SU and about 15-20 other high-majors. He's a Paul Harris clone in do it all fashion.

Hop spent some time this spring in Cal. He was looking at Aaron and Johnson. Same size but strange because we never seem to go after guys 6'5" swing types. Are they the same type of player? Do we even stand a chance in Pumpville? My thought is that maybe the time is better spent where we have fighting chance. Balt., Boston,Philly , Rochester etc. Thoughts ? Thanks.

Hop spent some time this spring in Cal. He was looking at Aaron and Johnson. Same size but strange because we never seem to go after guys 6'5" swing types. Are they the same type of player? Do we even stand a chance in Pumpville? My thought is that maybe the time is better spent where we have fighting chance. Balt., Boston,Philly , Rochester etc. Thoughts ? Thanks.
Both are different players. Aaron who recently played for Jason Hart at Taft is 6'8 long, can handle like a guard but isn't real physical. Johnson is about 6'5/6 and attends Hop old school Mater Dei. Johnson is more physical and likes to play inside/out. Both play for the Nike affiliated Oakland Soldiers and aren't connected with the Pumps who were recently dropped from the Adidas circle. Not sure if we have a real shot at either but it never hurts to recruit them and keep options open in all areas.

Have you heard anything about 2014 6-5 SG Marial Shayok ?? How about 2015 PF Chris Egi ?? Both playing for the Canadian Cadet (17u) National team in the World Championships this summer. I know the staff has expressed an interest in both at some point. Wondering if you had heard anything Francis ??

Last month I predicted the 2013 class to be Ennis, Mike G, Obokoh, and possibly one out of the Roberson, Lawrence, Vonleh trio. I had Mike G correct :) and we'll see about the rest. All would be elite in the staff eyes because they're all players that they've put main priorities on. Obokoh is probably the only exception as he's more of a down the road high-upside kind of recruit.
I'm still having man-love for Lawrence, after seeing his vid. He'd be a defensive monster along side DC2 (if he stays around), and on offense could shoot, slash or post up ... lots of options that our staff could use to create matchup nightmares. Any vids on Roberson?

We've had such a good string of bringing in bigs, loosing only NN. I can't wait to see who we'll get to prowl the lane in 2 years.

Have you heard anything about 2014 6-5 SG Marial Shayok ?? How about 2015 PF Chris Egi ?? Both playing for the Canadian Cadet (17u) National team in the World Championships this summer. I know the staff has expressed an interest in both at some point. Wondering if you had heard anything Francis ??
Haven't heard about both recently but I know the staff really likes Cassidy Ryan. What's your thoughts on Ryan?