Let's have some fun | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Let's have some fun

I'm still having man-love for Lawrence, after seeing his vid. He'd be a defensive monster along side DC2 (if he stays around), and on offense could shoot, slash or post up ... lots of options that our staff could use to create matchup nightmares. Any vids on Roberson?

We've had such a good string of bringing in bigs, loosing only NN. I can't wait to see who we'll get to prowl the lane in 2 years.
Haven't seen any good highlight vids for Roberson yet. I'll definitely have it up for you whenever one comes out.

Romelo Trimble is a VA kid, eh? Guessing that Red is the primary on that one?

Romelo Trimble is a VA kid, eh? Guessing that Red is the primary on that one?
Melo's stock is on the rise. He likes SU but the staff hasn't shown much interest currently but I expect that to change as time goes along.

Francis, did you see "Terminator?"

91709123.png

Both are different players. Aaron who recently played for Jason Hart at Taft is 6'8 long, can handle like a guard but isn't real physical. Johnson is about 6'5/6 and attends Hop old school Mater Dei. Johnson is more physical and likes to play inside/out. Both play for the Nike affiliated Oakland Soldiers and aren't connected with the Pumps who were recently dropped from the Adidas circle. Not sure if we have a real shot at either but it never hurts to recruit them and keep options open in all areas.

Didn't realize Aaron was that tall . That's wonderful news about the Pumps. Thanks.

Hey Francis...not entirely sure if you've addressed this but...Ennis vs Barber? Who do you like better and/or who is the better fit for SU in your opinion? I know you and the staff are obviously high on Ennis but it seems like Barber is rising fast especially with his most recent performance. Thanks again for your coverage, man.

Things are looking pretty good with kids close to NY.
Francis,
Have you heard anything about any of these kids Really wanting to stay close to home?

Ennis -NJ
Lawrence-NJ
Vonleh-NH
Whitehead- NY
Jefferson-PA
McCulluh- Ct. 014
All are currently on the MCD. AA lists according to some of the big ranking sites.

Then there is some other 4 star sleepers out there
Newton-PA
Ben Bentil- De (014)
Okonobah- NH
Roberson-NJ
Obokoh-Rochester
to name a few. :)

Im really really high on Jefferson seems to have a nice handle, motor and iq. Scrappyness and hes a lefty. Uses his whole body both arms.

Like Lawrence as well. We have a couple of forwards with a nice handle on our radar thets grab one.

l
Things are looking pretty good with kids close to NY.
Francis,
Have you heard anything about any of these kids Really wanting to stay close to home?

Ennis -NJ
Lawrence-NJ
Vonleh-NH
Whitehead- NY
Jefferson-PA
McCulluh- Ct. 014
All are currently on the MCD. AA lists according to some of the big ranking sites.

Then there is some other 4 star sleepers out there
Newton-PA
Ben Bentil- De (014)
Okonobah- NH
Roberson-NJ
Obokoh-Rochester
to name a few. :)

Im really really high on Jefferson seems to have a nice handle, motor and iq. Scrappyness and hes a lefty. Uses his whole body both arms.

Like Lawrence as well. We have a couple of forwards with a nice handle on our radar thets grab one.

All of those players really want instant minutes first and foremost. At the current moment I don't think SU is a major player in the Jefferson recruitment. That could change when the summer hits but I haven't heard any buzz between him and SU in a few months now.

l
All of those players really want instant minutes first and foremost. At the current moment I don't think SU is a major player in the Jefferson recruitment. That could change when the summer hits but I haven't heard any buzz between him and SU in a few months now.

I was curious about Jefferson as well, did landing Gbinije have a chilling effect on Jefferson or were things cooling on that front before Gbinije announced he was transferring here?

I was curious about Jefferson as well, did landing Gbinije have a chilling effect on Jefferson or were things cooling on that front before Gbinije announced he was transferring here?
I don't think the Mike G commitment played a factor because I know the staff liked Jefferson as a multi-position player and actually as a PG. The word was that it would be tough to get him out of PA, with Pitt and Temple having strong connections. I recently read that Zona has offered him and they actually feel good about their chances. I know Kentucky and Louisville showed some interest during the open evaluation period last month. With their hunt for a PG in this class, I wouldn't be shock to see SU get back strongly in the mix.

Francis, trying to keep this thread going :D.

In order of position what do you think is most important 1-5 for 2013? What positions are necessity?

I think First a PG, So Gbinje and Cooney don't have to learn backup point guard or starting pg if for some reason MCW jumps to the NBA. I think Gbinije could play some three for us as a third year JR as well if he and the coaches are willing to try.

After that its Early NBA jumps, and injuries that are the concern.
But I think we need atleast one frontcourt player to feel safe. I think CJ, Grant and Gbinije could play some SF. I think DC2 Rak, and Baye can all play center, and I think Rak and CJ or Grant can play PF. A 4-5 combo PF/Center might be a nice grab here and would get lots of practice to play against Dajuan Coleman and Rakeem christmas. It would be a opportunity for Recruits to take notice of. I Also think there are alot of good driving SF's at the moment though.

If Gbinije or MCW jump or there is a injury then we will only have 3 guards. Might want to add a second guard to feel safe. Obviously there is alot of talent out there

No doubt practicing with CJ, Coleman, Rak, MCW, Gbinije would help any incoming recruits learn big time though. Once again It would be a opportunity for recruits take notice.
Not to often you get to play with 4 Mcd AA's at four different postions and a 5th underated senior athletic SF at the 5th position who was a 2 time dunk of the year nominee as a freshmen and soph, and is a true scrappy SF/PF combo in CJ Fair. That is going to be one challenging, humbling, and fun family enviroment to grow up in with 30,000 screaming fans.

Francis, trying to keep this thread going :D.

In order of position what do you think is most important 1-5 for 2013? What positions are necessity?

I think First a PG, So Gbinje and Cooney don't have to learn backup point guard or starting pg if for some reason MCW jumps to the NBA. I think Gbinije could play some three for us as a third year JR as well if he and the coaches are willing to try.

After that its Early NBA jumps, and injuries that are the concern.
But I think we need atleast one frontcourt player to feel safe. I think CJ, Grant and Gbinije could play some SF. I think DC2 Rak, and Baye can all play center, and I think Rak and CJ or Grant can play PF. A 4-5 combo PF/Center might be a nice grab here and would get lots of practice to play against Dajuan Coleman and Rakeem christmas. It would be a opportunity for Recruits to take notice of. I Also think there are alot of good driving SF's at the moment though.

If Gbinije or MCW jump or there is a injury then we will only have 3 guards. Might want to add a second guard to feel safe. Obviously there is alot of talent out there

No doubt practicing with CJ, Coleman, Rak, MCW, Gbinije would help any incoming recruits learn big time though. Once again It would be a opportunity for recruits take notice.
Not to often you get to play with 4 Mcd AA's at four different postions and a 5th underated senior athletic SF at the 5th position who was a 2 time dunk of the year nominee as a freshmen and soph, and is a true scrappy SF/PF combo in CJ Fair. That is going to be one challenging, humbling, and fun family enviroment to grow up in with 30,000 screaming fans.
IMHO position of importance for 2013 in the following order PG, CF(combo forward), CG(combo guard), Big.

IMHO position of importance for 2013 in the following order PG, CF(combo forward), CG(combo guard), Big.

What do you know of Kam Williams? SG out of Baltimore

What do you know of Kam Williams? SG out of Baltimore
Big time scorer who would add great depth to guard position, especially if MCW blows up and bounces after next season. He's also a high school teammate of Phil Booth, who the staff likes in 14.

Francis, what are your impressions of Marcus Lee? Have you had the oppertunity to see him play? It appears as though we have extended him an offer, what does this mean (if anything) with regards to the other recruits we have been going hard after such as vonleh and Lawrence? Or are they looking at Lee as a Center. FWIW and from what I have seen I do like Lee's potential and athleticism, think he would be a real nice get.

Francis, what are your impressions of Marcus Lee? Have you had the oppertunity to see him play? It appears as though we have extended him an offer, what does this mean (if anything) with regards to the other recruits we have been going hard after such as vonleh and Lawrence? Or are they looking at Lee as a Center. FWIW and from what I have seen I do like Lee's potential and athleticism, think he would be a real nice get.

Obviously not Francis, but considering UConn is also recruiting all three of those guys I have a little insight. From what I have seen of all three players (which is only probably 2 games each) I have seen the following:

Marcus Lee is the most traditional PF of the three. He doesn't have a great 3 point shot/handle and plays closer to the rim.

Lawrence is a bit more versatile and a bit of a stretch 4 or tweener.

Vonleh is almost a 3 but can play like a 4.

Basically, a team could take two of the three and be very happy. I personally think Lawrence and Lee would make the least sense of any combination as neither really is a 3. Vonleh is good enough (or IMO will be) to play the 3 similar to Gay/Durant.

Feel free to disagree, that is just from what I have seen of all three.

I would throw Chris McCullough in with the above three and say him and Jermaine Lawrence are pretty close in terms of skill set.

I thought ATM McCullough and Vonleh are 2014, though Vonleh may change to 2013.

Francis - just curious about your CG comment. I thought we have Cooney and MG manning the position for several years. In that case '13 seems early to add another. Do you envision Mike G playing a different position than CG?

I certainly think having another ballhandler would be nice, but tough to recruit, especially if the staff can execute the Ennis/Briscoe combo. Tough to recruit a guard who will take a backup role.

Obviously not Francis, but considering UConn is also recruiting all three of those guys I have a little insight. From what I have seen of all three players (which is only probably 2 games each) I have seen the following:

Marcus Lee is the most traditional PF of the three. He doesn't have a great 3 point shot/handle and plays closer to the rim.

Lawrence is a bit more versatile and a bit of a stretch 4 or tweener.

Vonleh is almost a 3 but can play like a 4.

Basically, a team could take two of the three and be very happy. I personally think Lawrence and Lee would make the least sense of any combination as neither really is a 3. Vonleh is good enough (or IMO will be) to play the 3 similar to Gay/Durant.

Feel free to disagree, that is just from what I have seen of all three.

I would throw Chris McCullough in with the above three and say him and Jermaine Lawrence are pretty close in terms of skill set.

I thought ATM McCullough and Vonleh are 2014, though Vonleh may change to 2013.

Thanks for the insight, it is allways appreciated. Would love to get Vonleh but it feels like its going to be a tougher get from what I have read on the board at this point. How do you compare the athleticism, and ceiling at this point between Lawrence and Lee? I have not been able to see any footage of Lawrence at all yet so im a bit in the dark at his skill level other than what I have read here. Are their hights legit as well? Thanks again!

What in the world happened to Duane Notice?
Played behind Ennis at the point on the CIA Bounce AAU team. Reportedly played well recently for Team Canada 18u team. Has offers from Cincy, Michigan, and Minnesota from the last update that I had on him. Still a good prospect from the few games that I watched of the CIA Bounce. Just struggles to get major minutes to showcase his skills behind Ennis, Rathan-Mayes, and Wiggins on the same team.

Francis - just curious about your CG comment. I thought we have Cooney and MG manning the position for several years. In that case '13 seems early to add another. Do you envision Mike G playing a different position than CG?

I certainly think having another ballhandler would be nice, but tough to recruit, especially if the staff can execute the Ennis/Briscoe combo. Tough to recruit a guard who will take a backup role.
I'm talking mainly insurance if MCW is gone. Even if we get Ennis or any other PG, it would still leave us short handed. Mike G is a 2/3 and Cooney is mainly a 2. Wouldn't hurt to check out other guards something the staff is doing, who can play both spots like Kam Williams, Roddy Peters, Wayne Selden, Xavier Rathan-Mayes etc. Doubt it would happen but I think your guy Rysheed Jordan would be a great fit along side Ennis, as a combo :)