Let's just clear the air about a few things | Syracusefan.com

Let's just clear the air about a few things

OttoinGrotto

2023-24 Iggy Award Most 3 Pointers Made
Controversial but true statement #1 - Marrone owes his new career with the Bills in part to Ryan Nassib, and in part to Greg Robinson

In order to be a legitimate candidate for the NFL Marrone needed to show at least some ability to win as an HC. You don't win without a QB. Nassib was serviceable enough to get us to a bowl his first year as a starter, and improved enough as a Senior for us to have an even better season and level Marrone's record at .500.

Robinson helped Doug in two ways. First, for all he messed up, he left Nassib for Marrone to work with. Second, NFL execs reportedly have said that Marrone's rebuild at Syracuse was respected. Perverse as it sounds, Robinson handed Marrone an excellent opportunity to rebuild.

Controversial but true statement #2 - That crap we saw the first three seasons? That really was Marrone's offense

We all had high hopes for what Marrone's offense was going to be once he had his own players and his own QB. We never got that chance the way we thought we would, and it turns out Nassib really was Marrone's QB. Without a radical change from Hackett this season, we were planning to do more of the same, because that was the offense.

Controversial but true statement #3 - Marrone quit

He had more time left on his contract, even without being extended. He left. That's quitting.

Controversial but true statement #4 - It is completely inappropriate for Marrone to have any input into what happens with Syracuse's football program going forward, at the very least in the short term

I've seen a handful of posts on the board suggesting that Marrone had somehow orchestrated his exit to leave the program in good hands and has had some input into our next steps. That's bogus. It very much appears as though he left his "dream job" in part because he felt a) he wasn't provided the resources he felt he needed to succeed and b) staying on with the current situation wasn't worth it to him. Why on earth would you want input from someone that doesn't believe? Think about what the statement from Marrone has to be if you do: I don't believe I can do this job this way, or want to do the job this way, but I have some ideas on what the person you hire to do that job should do, even though I couldn't/wouldn't. Pfft. Really? Our University is smarter than that. That's not the person you listen to.

It's Shafer's time to shine.

Controversial but true statement #1 - Marrone owes his new career with the Bills in part to Ryan Nassib, and in part to Greg Robinson

In order to be a legitimate candidate for the NFL Marrone needed to show at least some ability to win as an HC. You don't win without a QB. Nassib was serviceable enough to get us to a bowl his first year as a starter, and improved enough as a Senior for us to have an even better season and level Marrone's record at .500.

Robinson helped Doug in two ways. First, for all he messed up, he left Nassib for Marrone to work with. Second, NFL execs reportedly have said that Marrone's rebuild at Syracuse was respected. Perverse as it sounds, Robinson handed Marrone an excellent opportunity to rebuild.

Controversial but true statement #2 - That crap we saw the first three seasons? That really was Marrone's offense

We all had high hopes for what Marrone's offense was going to be once he had his own players and his own QB. We never got that chance the way we thought we would, and it turns out Nassib really was Marrone's QB. Without a radical change from Hackett this season, we were planning to do more of the same, because that was the offense.

He had more time left on his contract, even without being extended. He left. That's quitting.

Controversial but true statement #4 - It is completely inappropriate for Marrone to have any input into what happens with Syracuse's football program going forward, at the very least in the short term

I've seen a handful of posts on the board suggesting that Marrone had somehow orchestrated his exit to leave the program in good hands and has had some input into our next steps. That's bogus. It very much appears as though he left his "dream job" in part because he felt a) he wasn't provided the resources he felt he needed to succeed and b) staying on with the current situation wasn't worth it to him. Why on earth would you want input from someone that doesn't believe? Think about what the statement from Marrone has to be if you do: I don't believe I can do this job this way, or want to do the job this way, but I have some ideas on what the person you hire to do that job should do, even though I couldn't/wouldn't. Pfft. Really? Our University is smarter than that. That's not the person you listen to.

And I owe my stomach ache to the 2 pound burrito I just ate.

Point?

Life happens.

We'll see.

Let me add to that a few footnotes:

- People quit one job to take another all of time. It's often seen as a sign as success. To use the word quit the way you did betrays your opinion towards Marrone. It's technically accurate. Obama quit being a Senator to be Prez. What a loser.

- Marrone already has had input on what happens short term. DG asked him his opinion on Shafer and then cited his opinion as helpful in making the choice.

Why on earth would you want input from someone that doesn't believe? ...That's not the person you listen to.

Okay. I get what you are saying. But still, TGD would have to be a moron to not at least get an assessment of his staff and its individual coaches from DM -- their former boss. He doesn't have to take everything as gospel. But at least get an assessment of their strengths and weaknesses.

And yes, it is Shafer's time to shine. I expect he will do just fine.

Let me add to that a few footnotes:

- People quit one job to take another all of time. It's often seen as a sign as success. To use the word quit the way you did betrays your opinion towards Marrone. It's technically accurate. Obama quit being a Senator to be Prez. What a loser.

- Marrone already has had input on what happens short term. DG asked him his opinion on Shafer and then cited his opinion as helpful in making the choice.
Couldn't agree more.

Sorry, couldn't resist the softball.

since we are clearing the air, lets not forget that a lot of the boards original optimism was that Syracuse was only losing Marrone. and that everything else would be status quo.

hey, we even kept hackett!!! homerun!!

well, now it appears all we are getting is shafer and a couple of holdover, low level assistants.

i realize you guys are all excited about what shafer had to say and thats fine, excitement is a good thing.

so i guess you guys must be absolutely freakin giddy over all the crap rex ryan spewed on tuesday about the jets. next year the NFL will fear them!! yeah ok.

same bullshlit, different pulpit.

all we need now is for tgd to call shafer sophisticated and to check for tattoos.

as you were.

Oh Lord

- People quit one job to take another all of time. It's often seen as a sign as success. To use the word quit the way you did betrays your opinion towards Marrone. It's technically accurate.
Well, just to quibble, there really isn't anything to betray regarding my opinion of Marrone.

Can't support opinion 3 or 4 -- if SU and Shafer are smart, they embrace Marrone and use him in all the ways he might help. He is an SU guy -- hope he is wildly successful with the Bills.
I agree with #1 and #2. We saw Marrone's offense, until Hackett emerged in his third year and implemented changes in August. (Not all Hackett; of course, Marrone had his hands on the project as well.) Marrone is making a good move (for the Bills) in bringing young Hackett with him.
And, sure, Marrone got a big lift from the development of Nassib, Pugh, Lemon -- the leaders of the 2012 team. He was very lucky that Nassib was durable. He also gets credit for the work of his OC, DC and assistant coaches. That is the way the world works -- good head coaches take what they are handed, make improvements, and -- when the stars align -- produce seasons that exceed expectations.

You make it sound as if Nassib developed himself. Marrone had a lot to do with Nassib's development into an NFL prospect. He also had a lot to do with putting an o-line in front of him that allowed him to have a successful senior year.

The opportunity that Robinson left him doesn't mean squat if he doesn't get it done.

We have no way of knowing how much of the change in the offense was Marrone's and how much was Hackett's. At the very least Marrone had the final say so, and any CEO deserves credit for knowing when to refrain from micromanaging. It would have been easy for Marrone to nix the idea with only 2 weeks before our first game.

I believe GRob had more time left on his contract too. Did we "quit" on him?

It's appropriate for Marrone to have any input that Shafer and Gross see fit. They know him and have worked with him more than anyone on this board, and coaches consult with one another all of the time.

Yes it is.

Controversial statement #5 - Marrone did nothing to you personally. Your "clear" statements are heavily slanted and based on emotionally charged opinion as evidenced by your unwillingness to give Marrone credit for anything. At the very least Marrone hired every assistant (including one young guy that most on here questioned until halfway through this season) that made an impact in coaching and recruiting, and you're only as good as those you surround yourself with.

It's time to get over it.

#5: You are loving this.
Yes.

There has been a whole lot of irrational Marrone slurping on this board since he was hired. Went way beyond the boundaries of being excited for some people.

I'm not happy to see his status take a fall. I genuinely have been rooting for the guy all along, was just a lot more measured in my praise, and reserved it for times when praise was merited. I really was starting to buy in this season and felt he was delivering. The way this has all gone down, coupled with some of the other warts... yes, I'm having fun with this.

Marrone has no right to have input on SU's football program. But inappropriate? Stop it. It's completely appropriate particularly if he's asked. He's an SU guy who has been successful in the game and he is a lot closer to the program than either McNabb or Green who had input into his hire. In fact I sincerely doubt Gross contacted either Green or McNabb this time Around. Guess what...SU is not and never has been Marrones #1 priority. Doug Marrone is. And now the Bills are a priority over SU. Get over it.

Well, just to quibble, there really isn't anything to betray regarding my opinion of Marrone.

I agree.

Just thought it was a weak point. It's a fact - true - but to cast it as this huge negative about him being a quitter is weak sauce. Every CEO in the country at one point left one job (quitter!!! left his employees high and dry!) for a better one. Only when you introduce emotions and/or bias does that become justified.

Perverse as it sounds, Robinson handed Marrone an excellent opportunity to rebuild.

Now I have heard everything. Give credit to GRob for some of Marrone's success. And the reason? GRob left the program in shambles...so that was a positive thing for Marrone to inherit.

I was hoping this was going to be a Festivus airing of grievances.

I've got a lot of problems with you people, and now you're gonna hear about it.

frank-costanza.jpg

Neither controversial nor true. Talk amongst yourselves.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom