let's rank BE qbs in BE games (for bees) | Syracusefan.com

let's rank BE qbs in BE games (for bees)

Millhouse

Living Legend
Nassib at 118 is 4th behind Smith, Bridgewater, Sunseri in QB rating in big east games this year

Daniels is 112. that sucks. but he gives you 55 more ypg on the ground.

Would you trade 6 points in passer rating for 55 more yards on the ground?

Hell yes, I would. And I'm not saying Daniels is good.

Nassib is better than a freshman Nova and McEntee - that's it. McEntee is already losing snaps. We all know Nova will take a seat with Schiano's musical chairs. Legaux's a backup but even he can run a little

I guarantee you that you wouldn't be happy with Sunseri, if we traded for him. Daniels would be infuriating and this board would castrate him as well. We all saw Smith in a game where he faced pressure. What would he do behind our line? I'm not voting for Nassib for heisman, but of all the issues we have, I just feel like QB play is pretty low on the list.

I guarantee you that you wouldn't be happy with Sunseri, if we traded for him. Daniels would be infuriating and this board would castrate him as well. We all saw Smith in a game where he faced pressure. What would he do behind our line? I'm not voting for Nassib for heisman, but of all the issues we have, I just feel like QB play is pretty low on the list.
I'm not saying I'd be happy.

You could be a lot better than Nassib and still stink.

I'm not saying I'd be happy.

You could be a lot better than Nassib and still stink.

Wow, harsh. I don't know. Where would you rank him among the RJ Anderson, Troy Nunes, Madei Williams, Greg Paulus, Perry Patterson lot? I agree we'd love McNabb part II and even a consistent, accurate QB with OK arm strength would be an upgrade, but I really had zero problem with NAssib's game last saturday. A few bad throws? Yup. Bad fumble? Yup. But ultimately I think there are so many factors working against him.

Nassib at 118 is 4th behind Smith, Bridgewater, Sunseri in QB rating.

Daniels is 112. that sucks. but he gives you 55 more ypg on the ground.

Would you trade 6 points in passer rating for 55 more yards on the ground?

Hell yes, I would. And I'm not saying Daniels is good.

Nassib is better than a freshman Nova and McEntee - that's it. McEntee is already losing snaps. We all know Nova will take a seat with Schiano's musical chairs. Legaux's a backup but even he can run a little

You aren't saying anything much different that I. He was definitely better than UConn, rutgers and Cincy. Yea, Legaux was a back up but that is who we faced. We lost all 3. So that puts him middle of the pack and IMO Daniels is no better. He is a better runner but Nassib the better passer. Nassib had 6 more TD passes than him while Daniels had 3 more rushing TD's. So 3 were worse, 3 were better and at best either one may be slightly better than the other between Nassib/Daniels over the season. But Daniels destroyed us in every way. Point is, Nassib wasn't the worst QB on the field all the time and we lost to teams where he was the better one.

Wow, harsh. I don't know. Where would you rank him among the RJ Anderson, Troy Nunes, Madei Williams, Greg Paulus, Perry Patterson lot? I agree we'd love McNabb part II and even a consistent, accurate QB with OK arm strength would be an upgrade, but I really had zero problem with NAssib's game last saturday. A few bad throws? Yup. Bad fumble? Yup. But ultimately I think there are so many factors working against him.
All of those guys took a seat. Every one of them. Nassib should too.

can't say i didn't warn all you guys about this

You aren't saying anything much different that I. He was definitely better than UConn, rutgers and Cincy. Yea, Legaux was a back up but that is who we faced. We lost all 3. So that puts him middle of the pack and IMO Daniels is no better. He is a better runner but Nassib the better passer. Nassib had 6 more TD passes than him while Daniels had 3 more rushing TD's. So 3 were worse, 3 were better and at best either one may be slightly better than the other between Nassib/Daniels over the season. But Daniels destroyed us in every way. Point is, Nassib wasn't the worst QB on the field all the time and we lost to teams where he was the better one.
Nassib is barely better than Daniels as a passer. Daniels is a way better runner.
Advantage Daniels

All of those guys took a seat. Every one of them. Nassib should too.

can't say i didn't warn all you guys about this

I'm not sure what you warned me about. I would just say we disagree. But regardless. Look at Brady Quinn's stat lines from 2004 (Ty Willy's last year) vs. 2005 (weis' first year):

Quinn 04
191-353 (54%), 2586 yds, 17 TDs, 10 INTs, 125.9 rating

Quinn 05 (same receivers by the way)
292-450, 3919 yds, 32 TDs, 7 INTs, 158.4

Same QB. Almost identical personnel. Different system/coaching. You would have "warned" us in 04 that quinn would never be anything at QB.

I'm not sure what you warned me about. I would just say we disagree. But regardless. Look at Brady Quinn's stat lines from 2004 (Ty Willy's last year) vs. 2005 (weis' first year):

Quinn 04
191-353 (54%), 2586 yds, 17 TDs, 10 INTs, 125.9 rating

Quinn 05 (same receivers by the way)
292-450, 3919 yds, 32 TDs, 7 INTs, 158.4

Same QB. Almost identical personnel. Different system/coaching. You would have "warned" us in 04 that quinn would never be anything at QB.
126 in big east games would be an improvement for us.
and he was a sophomore. nassib was supposed to make the jump this year according to all the smart guys.

In our system I only think Collaros and Bridgewater would have been successful. Smith is athletic but he is not a running QB and doesn't extend plays by scrambling. He is 0-2 vs SU because he cannot handle our pressure. How would he do under our OL? I think he is better than Nassib, no question. But he alone wouldn't make our O, a good O.

Sunseri is awful and nowhere near the QB Nassib is. Same for Nova/Dodd and UConn's QBs. That leaves Daniels. I think using Daniels correctly that he is a better option than Nassib. However using Daniels in our system, Nassib is far superior. Daniels gets his yards more on designed rushes than scrambles. His weakness is his passing game. IMO Marrone's system is a WCO. That is what he knows and what he will run. That is why I have little faith in Kinder, Broyld, or Hunt making our O a good one.

In our system I only think Collaros and Bridgewater would have been successful. Smith is athletic but he is not a running QB and doesn't extend plays by scrambling. He is 0-2 vs SU because he cannot handle our pressure. How would he do under our OL? I think he is better than Nassib, no question. But he alone wouldn't make our O, a good O.

Sunseri is awful and nowhere near the QB Nassib is. Same for Nova/Dodd and UConn's QBs. That leaves Daniels. I think using Daniels correctly that he is a better option than Nassib. However using Daniels in our system, Nassib is far superior. Daniels gets his yards more on designed rushes than scrambles. His weakness is his passing game. IMO Marrone's system is a WCO. That is what he knows and what he will run. That is why I have little faith in Kinder, Broyld, or Hunt making our O a good one.

how do you know what our system is?

it's hamstrung by nassib.

you think it's the system that holds marrone back from a running qb. I think it's that nassib fumbles way too much when he runs.

it's a big assumption that marrone doesn't want someone who can scramble

and he was a sophomore. nassib was supposed to make the jump this year according to all the smart guys.

Again we faced two QBs who are better, 4 QBs who were worse, and one who is on par. Yet we went 1-6 in those games. Nassib isn't going to get us into the Top 25, or get us to the BCS. But the same can be said about at least 100 out of the other 119 QBs out there. It isn't just Nassib that is holding us back. In fact he is likely the least of our problems.

how do you know what our system is?

it's hamstrung by nassib.

you think it's the system that holds marrone back from a running qb. I think it's that nassib fumbles way too much when he runs.

it's a big assumption that marrone doesn't want someone who can scramble

Marrone is a WCO guy. Hackett is a WCO guy. We run WCO plays but Nassib is the reason we don't run a college O?

Also you have a HC who wouldn't play his 2nd string RB last year for fear of the 2nd string RB getting hurt. And you had a QB last year who was told not to run after getting banged up in the first game. Yet this year with no backup QB you really think he wanted Nassib to run and didn't because of fumbles?

Again we faced two QBs who are better, 4 QBs who were worse, and one who is on par. Yet we went 1-6 in those games. Nassib isn't going to get us into the Top 25, or get us to the BCS. But the same can be said about at least 100 out of the other 119 QBs out there. It isn't just Nassib that is holding us back. In fact he is likely the least of our problems.
hey we could look at their ratings in big east games, or we could just go off your assertions.

sunseri is better than nassib in conference games. and it's not all that close.

Yet this year with no backup QB you really think he wanted Nassib to run and didn't because of fumbles?
Yes, I do. That idea flooring you makes me more confident i'm right.

hey we could look at their ratings in big east games, or we could just go off your assertions.

sunseri is better than nassib in conference games. and it's not all that close.

THIS IS NOT THE NFL!!!! You cannot use stats to compare QBs where you have vastly different surrounding talent and vastly different systems. All things are NOT EQUAL in CFB. If you watched any Pitt games and came away that Sunseri is a better QB than Nassib, than you are a giant moron.

Yes, I do. That idea flooring you makes me more confident i'm right.

So why was it that in the redzone with a conservative HC, we called all of our zone read plays? A few of which Nassib scored on? You also think Marrone doesn't want Nassib throwing the ball because he thinks Nassib stinks. Meanwhile Nassib is throwing more passes than Patterson, ARob, and Paulus. Yeah that makes sense. You continually defy logic.

2013 will be an unbearable year on this board because the O ain't changing and the QBs would look much better. Hopefully we will have an ignore button by then.

THIS IS NOT THE NFL!!!! You cannot use stats to compare QBs where you have vastly different surrounding talent and vastly different systems. All things are NOT EQUAL in CFB. If you watched any Pitt games and came away that Sunseri is a better QB than Nassib, than you are a giant moron.
So you think this system hurts nassib's rating. Interesting. Must be all those low percentage deep balls and designed runs.

Nassib is not a BCS talent. Maybe the other guys you are comparing him to like Sunseri aren't either. Just cause my piece of poop doesn't smell as bad as yours, doesn't change what it is. Nassib has no escability, no field vision, no accuracy beyond 15 yards, and no touch on the ball.

And BTW, comparing Nassib to Patterson, Arob, and Paulus is like comparing a Focus, to an Accent, Aveo, or Rio.

Also his QB rating is inflated due to this WCO pt 2. Dink and dunk passes are great for upping your completion percentage.

Instead of comparing him to other BE QBs maybe we should be comparing him to ACC QBs because that is where we are headed and without improvement at the skill positions we are going to be the new Duke of the ACC north. Great Basketball, can't get a bowl in football and not taking seriously as a contender. That's when the recruits don't come at all. Like at Duke.

Nassib has no escability, no field vision, no accuracy beyond 15 yards, and no touch on the ball.

You can say the same about most CFB QBs. Only a handful have those traits. We shouldn't expect the SU QB to be one of the handful. People need to start realizing this.

You can say the same about most CFB QBs. Only a handful have those traits. We shouldn't expect the SU QB to be one of the handful. People need to start realizing this.

Actually most CFB QBs possess at least 1 or 2 of those qualities. Your heisman candidates and NFL prospects usually have 3 or all 4. Nassib has none.

When talking about college QBs the past few years the BE rarely comes to mind. This year Collaros is an exception because he is a very good QB. Nassib is a decent college QB. He's good enough. He has limitations, and personally I had hoped he would develop more. I'm unsure about his leadership. I recall the way he handled the Paulus situation in 2009, which I believe Nassib regrets based on a few quotes this year. Donte Davis had a few quotes after he left where he made the impression that the team split over the Nassib benching. Unnecessary drama.

I also remember an interview with Hackett back during the Fall practices this season that I linked to from this board. Hackett was interviewed standing outside Manley. I believe he was asked about his young age and his young appearance. Maybe not, but as I recall Hackett told a story about his own impression when he met Nassib back in early 2010. Hackett joked that Nassib looked at him like who are you? This is Hackett's impression, and he told this story in his usual upbeat style as a funny story. He talked about how he felt like he had to make a good impression on Nassib to gain Nassib's confidence. Perhaps this is just Hackett's issue and him dealing with the fact that he is young and inexperienced and he appears very young.

But I remember the comments because this story as Hackett remembers it would have taken place in the Spring of 2010 coming off the season where the team split because Paulus replaced Nassib. The question in my mind was, who is Nassib? Again, this is unfair because this comes from Hackett. As much as I try to quiet that voice in my mind that questions Nassib's leadership, it has remained strong. However, towards the end of this 2011 season Nassib did show more leadership imo. I'm hopeful next year with start #26 he's ready to lead and have fun leading the team.

Nassib is not a BCS talent. Maybe the other guys you are comparing him to like Sunseri aren't either. Just cause my piece of poop doesn't smell as bad as yours, doesn't change what it is. Nassib has no escability, no field vision, no accuracy beyond 15 yards, and no touch on the ball.

And BTW, comparing Nassib to Patterson, Arob, and Paulus is like comparing a Focus, to an Accent, Aveo, or Rio.

Also his QB rating is inflated due to this WCO pt 2. Dink and dunk passes are great for upping your completion percentage.

Instead of comparing him to other BE QBs maybe we should be comparing him to ACC QBs because that is where we are headed and without improvement at the skill positions we are going to be the new Duke of the ACC north. Great Basketball, can't get a bowl in football and not taking seriously as a contender. That's when the recruits don't come at all. Like at Duke.

Actually he is 47th of 66 BCS QB's. So while below average, certainly BCS. And I bet he plays with one of the weakest pass blocking OL's in the BCS and the WR corp as a whole had the dropsies 2nd half of the season.

As to the ACC, he would be 9th of 13. But the same comments above apply.

He isn't a star but he is adequate with a better OL and not so many drops. What needs to be figured out is his accuracy on deep balls. I think he went backwards from 2 years ago.

So your theory is that doubling his touchdowns while halving his INT rate and adding 1,500 yards was by virtue of a bit more film study, maturation and smoothing out some rough edges mechanically? Come on. You can't bash the system, have major concerns about talent AND say that none of that is reflected in Nassib's numbers.

Nassib is not a BCS talent.

You might as well have ended your post here. You're talking about a kid that is 6-2, 230, has solid arm strength, good intelligence, adequate field vision (I'm not someone scouring films and I can think of several times he's gone through progressions effectively). Not only that, but he's coming off a year in which he completed 62% of his passes and threw 22 TDs to just 9 INTs with just 29 sacks (an underrated stat given this line). He also did this with average at best talent around him.

You might not like Nassib. I won't be comparing him to the all-time greats on the hill any time soon, but the guy has proven to be somewhere around average as a BCS QB, IMO. But either way, he's certainly talented enough to earn a scholly to a BCS school.