Let's show up strong attendence wise on Saturday! | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Let's show up strong attendence wise on Saturday!

Its pretty ridiculous that there is a major beer even going on at the same time, im sure that will eat in to a couple hundred people who might have come but the nonsense with raking leaves is just that no one is skipping the game because of yardwork. There are numerous reasons why some people aren't going to the game which I have posted numerous times I wont get into them again but it has nothing to with yardwork.
We had a person on THIS FORUM in the past that stated (seriously) that they had too much yardwork to attend a Saturday afternoon football game but that they would go to Saturday night games, if we had any.

No. The point I am trying to make is that many on here are drinking kool-aid in saying poor innovative Gross has to move game out of Syracuse because there is no local support. Thats BS. The issue is that Students do not fill the student section (empty seats) and alumni do not return to the area for games (empty seats). Add that up and even if 40K local fans with absolutely no tie to the school go to games Gross has 10K empty seats to sell people on in moving a game to alumni in NYC.

Now if we had roaring Student sections and alumni are driving in 5 hours from Boston, NYC, Philly every game and we cannot fill the dome cause there is no local support then yes you have an arguement but this is not the case. It is the students and alumni who dont care and the local fans that are paying for it by getting Stony Brook over USC.

You need to be patient, 2012 was going to be tough no matter what. Most of it is our own doing (that whole ACC thing). People are too focused on this year's schedule. Starting 2013, and beyond, the home schedules will be much more attractive. And you need may need to get used to having a 1AA on the schedule, most teams do it in the 12 game era.

USC was a bad deal for the local fans. I get that. Won't argue it. But the other games that are officially scheduled (not the future unknowns that may never happen as an ACC team) aren't necessarily a bad deal for SU. Penn State comes to the Dome as part of their arrangement. ND was done for reasons other than screwing the local fan. It was a way to improve our level of play for several reasons. If the future deal with NYC happens, I think you'll see more 1-1-1s like Penn State than home replacements like USC.

Everyone needs to remember this. After this year, we are no longer a Big East team in as desperate need of money, exposure, and attractive games. That will be the problem of the Rutgers and UConns of the world.

Maybe then, everyone will put down their swords in this silly locals vs students vs alumni fight.

When you say it does a lot more negative than positive, who are you comparing them to? The fact is, the local fan base doesn't support the team. There are always excuses not to go to games so SU is forced to reach outside the area and try different things to bring in fans and dollars. I can't blame them. If we had 45K of consistent local fan support, they'd be kissing our A double S's. You can be sure of that. Their decisions are rooted in what is best for the success of the program. We may not always like the decisions and it may not be good for us locals, but that is the goal.

With all due respect, you have it backwards.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

No. The point I am trying to make is that many on here are drinking kool-aid in saying poor innovative Gross has to move game out of Syracuse because there is no local support. Thats BS. The issue is that Students do not fill the student section (empty seats) and alumni do not return to the area for games (empty seats). Add that up and even if 40K local fans with absolutely no tie to the school go to games Gross has 10K empty seats to sell people on in moving a game to alumni in NYC.

Now if we had roaring Student sections and alumni are driving in 5 hours from Boston, NYC, Philly every game and we cannot fill the dome cause there is no local support then yes you have an arguement but this is not the case. It is the students and alumni who dont care and the local fans that are paying for it by getting Stony Brook over USC.
First, you state that you, a "native CNYer", aren't going to any home games until SU "shows it cares about you". Then you make the point that the attendance problem is not because of a lack of local support.

spock.jpeg

With all due respect, you have it backwards.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

No problems here bees. We can agree to disagree and put it to bed. We are preaching to the choir on this forum. I will say I did drum up 2 season ticket purchases yesterday so attendance should be slightly up in my section. lol

We had a person on THIS FORUM in the past that stated (seriously) that they had too much yardwork to attend a Saturday afternoon football game but that they would go to Saturday night games, if we had any.

I do remember that discussion but to be honest its so ridiculous I didnt take it seriously. Look truth be told there are a lot of other things people will be doing Saturday besides the game and yes that will include the Kaisers most hated Apple picking, but also the italian festival, beerfest, wine tours, the mall, welfare office, camps for the last time etc etc. The issue isnt that these people are choosing these other activities over going to the Dome, its that most of these people dont care about SU football period and the idea of getting tickets doesn't even register. Most of the population doesnt even know we have a game Saturday and even if they did going to the game doesnt even cross there mind. Trust me when I say Syracuse football is still not even on the radar of the regular person in CNY.

I do remember that discussion but to be honest its so ridiculous I didnt take it seriously. Look truth be told there are a lot of other things people will be doing Saturday besides the game and yes that will include the Kaisers most hated Apple picking, but also the italian festival, beerfest, wine tours, the mall, welfare office, camps for the last time etc etc. The issue isnt that these people are choosing these other activities over going to the Dome, its that most of these people dont care about SU football period and the idea of getting tickets doesn't even register. Most of the population doesnt even know we have a game Saturday and even if they did going to the game doesnt even cross there mind. Trust me when I say Syracuse football is still not even on the radar of the regular person in CNY.
Oh, I believe you that the regular CNYer doesn't give a rat's arse about SU football. The only way to change that is to have a great season. My father, who grew up in CNY, tells me that even in the late 50s and 60s SU didn't draw all that well - at least as well as it should have.

Agree with Bees here, I have had seasons for since I was in college at SU/ESF, where I graduated in Dec 1997, not until about 4 years ago where I started dontaing at a greater level as well as bumped both hoops and football to preferred A did I see where there were any perks and IMO, they are still pretty limited. I think Syracuse caters to the big big donor more than anything. I support the athletic program because that is what I will always do god willing but it can be very frustrating at times for sure, there isn't much reward for slow and steady at Syracuse. You would think one year they might take and do something for those who have seasons since the dome opened or something of that nature, doesn't have to be huge just something, those are the people that have hung in and donated through thick and thin. That is my point, most here still reup every year, it's like paying taxes. Is what it is I guess and I still always have a good time at games, been disgusted with some of the results but have never had a BAD tailgate, etc if you see my point and hell I will admit in the GROB era many of those tailagtes ended half way through the first and started up again mid way through the 3rd. The point is to enjoy yourself...

I really hope we have 45k people there on Saturday to show this team a little appreciation and just to throw out a a little jab, Rutgers had 50K for Howard.

No they didn't. That's 2 grand shy of capacity for them and their upper deck and corners weresparsely populated before the weather even hit.
rutgers-300x225.jpg

Lets hope all those NYC alumni and students show up to the game. As for me a native CNYer I will pass until the private school shows it cares about me.

The underlying negativity of a CNYer never ceases to amaze. Somebody needs to do a study on the psychology of the people in the area. Has to be the weather.

When I lived in Buffalo and Ralph Wilson didn't sell a high enough % of tickets, the game could be blacked out. Start threatening that and I'm sure some people would stop making excuses and get their butts to the Dome.

LOL. See here is the CNYer attitude again. It is all about me, me, me. While everywhere else in the US of A it is about the program. FB is a religion in most of the country and the fans are the followers of the almighty. But not in CNY where FB is an inconvenience and people must be enticed to go. Sad thing is it is prevalent in our "hard core" fans. I don't get the selfish attitude. The area really doesn't deserve a BCS program. I hope we move all of our games.

oh how true. Can't even give tix away half the time

When I lived in Buffalo and Ralph Wilson didn't sell a high enough % of tickets, the game could be blacked out. Start threatening that and I'm sure some people would stop making excuses and get their butts to the Dome.

That won't cause people to show up. Not in CNY at least.

LOL. See here is the CNYer attitude again. It is all about me, me, me. While everywhere else in the US of A it is about the program. FB is a religion in most of the country and the fans are the followers of the almighty. But not in CNY where FB is an inconvenience and people must be enticed to go. Sad thing is it is prevalent in our "hard core" fans. I don't get the selfish attitude. The area really doesn't deserve a BCS program. I hope we move all of our games.

Yup, you got it. They have it all backwards, and its a detriment to the upside of our program. They are constantly looking to be catered to. Constant complaining. They want to roll out of bed, see 50 points, 700 yds of Offense and a 11-1 record. Its old already.

If everyone is so excited about the track that the team is on after the first 2 games, why is this community not going out to the Dome and supporting this team? What is holding it back? And honestly, what the hell else are people doing up there that is more fun than spending a day tailgating/watching football? I honestly DO NOT GET IT.

I see your point but the area will only support a consistent winner, it will take 3 winning seasons with consistent bowl games to repair the damage. It just will and even then it probably won't return to glory years but it would be a lot better

Yup, you got it. They have it all backwards, and its a detriment to the upside of our program. They are constantly looking to be catered to. Constant complaining. They want to roll out of bed, see 50 points, 700 yds of Offense and a 11-1 record. Its old already.

If everyone is so excited about the track that the team is on after the first 2 games, why is this community not going out to the Dome and supporting this team? What is holding it back? And honestly, what the hell else are people doing up there that is more fun than spending a day tailgating/watching football? I honestly DO NOT GET IT.

Some here are excited and a select few outside that, others just see 0-2, guy last night said to me, "Syracuse got blown out again Saturday I see"... is what it is. I wanted to pimp slab the douchebag.

Some here are excited and a select few outside that, others just see 0-2, guy last night said to me, "Syracuse got blown out again Saturday I see"... is what it is. I wanted to pimp slab the douchebag.

Thats what I mean - that sort of negativity seems to be inherent to alot of people in the area. Its very sad, and its detrimental to the program.

Chicken/egg situation too. In order to get better, you need support from your community. Unfortunately, this place has it backwards and will only go unless they see a winner. There are exceptions for ridiculous putrid teams (Grob era) but we have had a decent team for a couple of years now and have played exciting football to start the year. It would be nice if people made the effort to come out and support these players/coaches (especially with recruits like Zach Allen in the building on Saturday).

ACC, ACC, ACC...

We'll all be friends again soon.

Don't let this crap league drag you all down anymore! We're like Redd, just waiting for the parole hearing so we can get busy livin'!

I see your point but the area will only support a consistent winner, it will take 3 winning seasons with consistent bowl games to repair the damage. It just will and even then it probably won't return to glory years but it would be a lot better

Then we are fighting a lost cause. With the move to the ACC plus at least one BCS OOC game plus the disadvantages we face as a private school with no local recruiting, the chances of having a run like the 90s are very slim. Sure we can be an 8-5 type of program every year with an occasional 10-3 but that is what our ceiling is. If people need more than that to "come back" then they will never be back.

Too many people want or think we should be VT and we never will be.

Thats what I mean - that sort of negativity seems to be inherent to alot of people in the area. Its very sad, and its detrimental to the program.

Chicken/egg situation too. In order to get better, you need support from your community. Unfortunately, this place has it backwards and will only go unless they see a winner. There are exceptions for ridiculous putrid teams (Grob era) but we have had a decent team for a couple of years now and have played exciting football to start the year. It would be nice if people made the effort to come out and support these players/coaches (especially with recruits like Zach Allen in the building on Saturday).

I agree.

Then we are fighting a lost cause. With the move to the ACC plus at least one BCS OOC game plus the disadvantages we face as a private school with no local recruiting, the chances of having a run like the 90s are very slim. Sure we can be an 8-5 type of program every year with an occasional 10-3 but that is what our ceiling is. If people need more than that to "come back" then they will never be back.

Too many people want or think we should be VT and we never will be.

Well lets get there first before we just give up, see what happens. I feel your pain, I think everybody here does

I think of it like this. People in CNY (w/o ties to the University) want to see a winner. That's why we have excellent attendance for basketball games. For football, people are going to have to be convinced that they are getting good value for their money.

My fiancee loves to see Broadway shows. She checks out which shows have good reviews, who the current actors are, etc. She would not pay good money to see a show where the actors forget their lines, bumble through the performance, look disinterested, etc. So why do we expect people to show up for the football team when they have been the equivalent of a terrible show for so long? What do people here in CNY owe the football team?

I think of it like this. People in CNY (w/o ties to the University) want to see a winner. That's why we have excellent attendance for basketball games. For football, people are going to have to be convinced that they are getting good value for their money.

My fiancee loves to see Broadway shows. She checks out which shows have good reviews, who the current actors are, etc. She would not pay good money to see a show where the actors forget their lines, bumble through the performance, look disinterested, etc. So why do we expect people to show up for the football team when they have been the equivalent of a terrible show for so long? What do people here in CNY owe the football team?
Not a great example, unless of course there are Broadway shows where a rival theatre group attacks the show midway. Then we'll see how they do with their lines and song and dance.

Honestly its not that hard to understand and has been explained here about 100 times. The same reason people in CNY don't go is the same reason a majority of NYC alumni dont go to games either, the program has been irrelevant for a decade plus and most people dont follow Syracuse football, at this point the diehards are really all that is left. People keep basing the locals and that we want to be catered to, worst fans ever, its nonsense. The people on this board who read these messages are the exact opposite of those fans we have season tickets, travel to away games and support the program despite all of the issues that have been documented here.

King Otto's opinion on locals is ridiculous let me take the last 12 years of terrible win loss records, dissapointment, and snake bitten teams to any other program in the country and the same problems would be popping up there save for maybe Notre Dame. Cuse football in CNY right now isnt even an afterthought at this point, outside of us diehards most people in Syracuse dont even follow the program or know what a tailgate is. This same attitude holds true to the NYC alumni and fanbase as well so stop saying its a local issue alumni and fans from the city aren' t coming to the dome either, whats are they doing on Saturday's?.

I dont get where people think theres some sort of state wide excitement about how the offense has looked in the first two games. 95% of the people excited about it are me and you and the rest of the die hard fan base. You think Joe local who isnt following the program has any idea where this team is headed outside of being 0-2? Does the casual fan understand whats happening and have renewed interest, maybe but the regular guy/girl off the street doesnt even know what the hell were talking about. The locals people keep bashing on here dont even know syracusefan.com exits and certainly aren't reading posts tellign them to get there asses to the dome. As I noted in a post earlier today most people dont follow the program, there not waiting for wins or reduced prices or USC in the dome they aren't coming period.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom