Liberty University | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Liberty University

Status
Not open for further replies.
tell that to any LGBT person in regards to Liberty and the Falwells . fu** openmindedness, it's bigotry. I would agree with you in general, if a school is conservative but doesn't discriminate and doesn't hide behind religion as the reason for being a bigot, then great, doesn't matter if one school is liberal and one is conservative. FYI, I am ok with us playing Liberty, I just hope we beat the hell out of them for many reasons

Thank you. Well said.

Also - comparing SU's NCAA "violations" to what has occurred at places like:
Ped State, Baylor, Sparty, UNC, Llvll, and on and on,
is like saying that we should shun people for getting parking tickets, since it's also a crime and basically the same as rape and murder. :rolleyes:

You should:
  • Start a letter writing/email campaign to the Chancellor, AD, Coach Babers, and Prince Andy Cuomo (who would definitely take up your plight);
  • Withhold any and all donations you may make to the University, Athletic Department, etc.;
  • Not attend any Syracuse University Athletic events;
  • Not attend any Syracuse University events; and
  • Stop watching Syracuse University sports.
Hopefully, that will clear your conscience of supporting an institution that is "tacitly supporting that madrassa (had to look that term up)."
And don't forget that we won't play BYU because of that church's LGBTQ stance, BC or Notre Dame because of their priest abuse issues, or Wake Forest (Baptist) or Duke (Methodist) because of their social stance issues. Geesh!

But Bees told me the outrage was because they hired a crooked AD!

tell that to any LGBT person in regards to Liberty and the Falwells . fu** openmindedness, it's bigotry. I would agree with you in general, if a school is conservative but doesn't discriminate and doesn't hide behind religion as the reason for being a bigot, then great, doesn't matter if one school is liberal and one is conservative. FYI, I am ok with us playing Liberty, I just hope we beat the hell out of them for many reasons

Think it is great that the CUSE is playing at Liberty for it is an up and coming football school with excellent facilities, solid academics and outstanding moral values unlike many other schools out there.
they are no joke. i believe hugh freeze is coaching there now since being fired at ole miss.

If they feel they are not wanted, or that the school doesn't value who they are, they don't have to go there. It's a private University. It's their choice to go there.
Religions, (like any other organization) by nature, are not open to all things outside of their orthodoxy.

If they feel they are not wanted, or that the school doesn't value who they are, they don't have to go there. It's a private University. It's their choice to go there.
Religions, (like any other organization) by nature, are not open to all things outside of their orthodoxy.

We should still call out bigotry. Again, I am fine playing them. And kicking their butts

This was my thought as well. It has nothing to do with the values of Liberty. We are a major program and traveling to play a school that I have never heard of from a football standpoint. The loss of revenue from an additional home game probably negates whatever Liberty would be paying us. We are too good for this.

I remember 60 years ago or so Oral Roberts University was building up it's basketball program. They went to play St John's in the Holiday Tournament in NYC. St John's star payer was Sonny Dove who injured his knee during the first half. The Rev Oral Roberts actually went into the St John's locker room to faith heal Sonny. Sonny did not play in the second half but it was a demonstration of good sportsmanship.

That is exactly why. Cuse had to buy a couple more weeks of good construction weather. This has been discussed several times.
I’ve not looked at a calendar, but the State Fair is usually around opening week, so this easy away game will give us less competition for cheeks in seats by the time we play at home.

(Yes, I realize the excitement of a new stadium will mitigate the benefit, but you can never have too much excitement or too little competition.)

Lots of people on this board complaining about Liberty being on the schedule would salivate at a home and home with Ped State.
I’m with you on the Liberty stuff but I think we can all agree on this board... a few things.

We all hate Ped State
We all didn’t want to hire Ash

So I think your wrong here.

I had a business meeting with JF at Liberty. He gave me a tour and i was at his home and studio which is on campus. We had dinner that evening.
It was without exception one of the most uncomfortable, strange meetings i have ever had. Everyone was extremely polite yet everything simply felt off. It was actually disturbing as the entire University and surrounding area had a Stepford cultish feel to it.
I remember being relieved when i left the following day.

We should still call out bigotry. Again, I am fine playing them. And kicking their butts
I am of the opinion that the only people or institutions about whom we should be concerned about bigotry is the government. As private individuals we can like and dislike who we want, for any reason. You just miss out on knowing a lot of cool people.
I also think that if businesses openly discriminated, in the long run, they would not be in business for very long. The market would adjust, because enough people wouldn't use the services.
Lots of "open-minded" people discriminate with every day actions like where they live, where they work, and what schools their kids attend.

It's not be football but the SU club Ice Hockey team has been playing at and against Liberty for several years now.

I disagree with a lot of thing that are taught at Universities these days - SU included. If SU stopped playing football against every school with which I could take issue, we would never play another game.

If this was just about McCaw, Freeze, or Falwell I wouldn't have a problem scheduling Liberty. This is about how the school operates and what it teaches.

Syracuse University should not enter into a contract with an institution that would make a portion of SU's students, fans, and alumni feel unwelcome. This isn't simply a political objection, this is about ensuring that people are treated decently. How many of our LBGT friends that love SU and attend road games will skip this one because of where we are playing? To me, that is unacceptable. There are plenty of other schools out there that would agree to a 2 for 1 with us. No need to help this school.

If you think the folks at Liberty would make gay Syracuse fans feel unwelcome, you obviously don't know evangelicals very well at all. If their prejudice against people with Christian beliefs is what makes them uncomfortable, that's their problem for being bigoted.

If this was just about McCaw, Freeze, or Falwell I wouldn't have a problem scheduling Liberty. This is about how the school operates and what it teaches.

Syracuse University should not enter into a contract with an institution that would make a portion of SU's students, fans, and alumni feel unwelcome. This isn't simply a political objection, this is about ensuring that people are treated decently. How many of our LBGT friends that love SU and attend road games will skip this one because of where we are playing? To me, that is unacceptable. There are plenty of other schools out there that would agree to a 2 for 1 with us. No need to help this school.
I’ll grant that Liberty is an outlier, but every school on the planet would make some portion of SU fans, students, and alumni feel unwelcome. If that’s your test, then you implicitly think we should close up the athletics dept.

My belief is that SU should do what it can to provide matchups that either directly benefit the school (recruiting, high payout, prestige, or schedule flexibility), or that are interesting to fans due to history, storyline, or other reasons.

I’m personally not in love with Liberty, but I have a hard time seeing this game as a disaster.

Last edited:
This was my thought as well. It has nothing to do with the values of Liberty. We are a major program and traveling to play a school that I have never heard of from a football standpoint. The loss of revenue from an additional home game probably negates whatever Liberty would be paying us. We are too good for this.

We are not giving up a home game, so all the cash we get is profit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom