Lifting Thread | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Lifting Thread

23 and I can't bench over 275...which I still thought was heavy.
It is.

I've always been bad at bench. Also got started late to lifting. I've always liked deadlifting. Squatting is so sporadic... Mobility is up and down a lot, and takes me forever to feel loose especially an ankle from a past sprain

It is.

I've always been bad at bench. Also got started late to lifting. I've always liked deadlifting. Squatting is so sporadic... Mobility is up and down a lot, and takes me forever to feel loose especially an ankle from a past sprain
Warm up riding bike for a bit. It'll help.

I was never really big into lifting but did do 275 (1 rep) 20 years ago. Now I am lucky I can lift 16 oz curls. At age 50 (feel 70 most days) I have had surgery to my Achilles after it ruptured from coming down to the floor after making a break away layup, 3 neck surgeries to repair 2 herniated discs, elbow surgery, probably back surgery in near future to repair 4 bulging discs (every time I say or hear bulging disc I think of Steve Levy) and after 22 years of having my body beat up in the military I am 100% disabled. Sometimes I wonder if my days of playing sports was worth it.

You were squatting 515 twenty five times?!? Why weren't you doing mad cow? That's a crapload of weight for those reps?
Yeah. At the time (Feb 2015), 515 wasn't actually TOO big a deal. Usually would miss the last 2 reps in the last set. My goal at the time was to get to a 650 pound max squat by the end of the summer, and to try and push Steven. You know, give him some competition. We were squatting the same weight, but he was a lot more explosive in his lifts.

Never heard of mad cow at the time. Actually, this is the first I've ever seen it mentioned.

Yeah. At the time (Feb 2015), 515 wasn't actually TOO big a deal. Usually would miss the last 2 reps in the last set. My goal at the time was to get to a 650 pound max squat by the end of the summer, and to try and push Steven. You know, give him some competition. We were squatting the same weight, but he was a lot more explosive in his lifts.

Never heard of mad cow at the time. Actually, this is the first I've ever seen it mentioned.
It's basically phase 2 of 5x5...meant to cut down on the crazy reps high weight

It's basically phase 2 of 5x5...meant to cut down on the crazy reps high weight
Man, wish I knew about it then. Maybe my disks wouldn't be so hosed now.

I was never really big into lifting but did do 275 (1 rep) 20 years ago. Now I am lucky I can lift 16 oz curls. At age 50 (feel 70 most days) I have had surgery to my Achilles after it ruptured from coming down to the floor after making a break away layup, 3 neck surgeries to repair 2 herniated discs, elbow surgery, probably back surgery in near future to repair 4 bulging discs (every time I say or hear bulging disc I think of Steve Levy) and after 22 years of having my body beat up in the military I am 100% disabled. Sometimes I wonder if my days of playing sports was worth it.
I hear ya.!
3 concussions
2 broken nose
3 dislocated shoulders
1 broken clavicle
1 broken wrist
2 broken ribs
1 broken patella
Numerous toes and fingers.

I might be forgetting something... Haha

1. It was worth it
2. Getting old sucks =D

I hear ya.!
3 concussions
2 broken nose
3 dislocated shoulders
1 broken clavicle
1 broken wrist
2 broken ribs
1 broken patella
Numerous toes and fingers.

I might be forgetting something... Haha

Damn lot of breaks...Any sprains in there?

I can still put up 375 as someone who will be 45 in a couple months. I'll get to 4 plates before I really regress haha.

I had surgery on my AC joint about 20 years ago...

At the time, my ortho told me to stop lifting heavy...told me my joints couldn't support it...

Didn't listen, of course.

Actually hit my all-time max around 42 or 43 at 345...was maxing out and felt a tremendous pain on my ribs.

Went back to my ortho..he asked what I was lifting...he said, "You got lucky. Just a pulled muscle. And, maybe you will be one of the lucky ones who never gets seriously hurt. But, odds are that one of these times you will come in to see me and you will have completely torn the pectoral muscle or done some other catastrophic damage. Your body frame is simply too small to be lifting that type of weight."

I listened. Now, nothing over two plates. Ever. Regardless of exercise. Bench, squat, dead...

Also discovered yoga about 10 years ago...and hot yoga about a year ago...do it religiously...best thing I've ever done...

To those of you still throwing around a lot of weight...awesome and just stay healthy...

20170331_163941.jpg
Oh yeah... forgot. This happened a few weeks ago. 20 stitches. Almost sliced my Achilles in half.

View attachment 95523 Oh yeah... forgot. This happened a few weeks ago. 20 stitches. Almost sliced my Achilles in half.
Jesus...what is your hobby? Head-on collisions?

What do you do to get hurt so much?

I used to get hurt a lot playing sports but it was all sprains...pull a hammy, pull a quad, pull a groin, tweak a calf...it was why I first started yoga...

But what exactly do you do to get injuries like that?

Haha. Still think I can do all the bmx/mountain bike trick shite.

:noidea:

At some point, you have to face up that you are getting old..

At 50, the mind knows what it wants to do but the body just doesn't react...

The worst is when I put the lax goalie gear on and step between the pipes when my son or daughter want to practice shooting...

I see the ball, my mind says "There's the ball! Move the stick." and, by the time it happens, the ball is in the back of the net...soooooo frustrating...

But BMX? That is a whole 'nother level of crazy...

I had surgery on my AC joint about 20 years ago...

At the time, my ortho told me to stop lifting heavy...told me my joints couldn't support it...

Didn't listen, of course.

Actually hit my all-time max around 42 or 43 at 345...was maxing out and felt a tremendous pain on my ribs.

Went back to my ortho..he asked what I was lifting...he said, "You got lucky. Just a pulled muscle. And, maybe you will be one of the lucky ones who never gets seriously hurt. But, odds are that one of these times you will come in to see me and you will have completely torn the pectoral muscle or done some other catastrophic damage. Your body frame is simply too small to be lifting that type of weight."

I listened. Now, nothing over two plates. Ever. Regardless of exercise. Bench, squat, dead...

Also discovered yoga about 10 years ago...and hot yoga about a year ago...do it religiously...best thing I've ever done...

To those of you still throwing around a lot of weight...awesome and just stay healthy...
I think I'm starting to get there. I'm 40. I think if I can just work 225 for squat/bench/deads that's enough. Do functional strength stuff like farmer carries, yokes. And maybe try the yoga stuff if I can figure out how not to embarrass myself

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom