Like night and day | Syracusefan.com

Like night and day

DonLightfoot

All Conference
Just re-watched the Kentucky game from Feb 26/89. Talk about a Syracuse track meet. That was my favourite era of Orange hoops. If we secured a defensive rebound, the other team did not have a chance on their defensive end as it was in the net before they knew what happened.

Not a lot of three point shooting back then which I enjoy more than the long ball action these days. I think we only had one player make a three in that game, it was Matt Roe who made three or four I think. Everything else was either in transition or in the paint. We were successful on 8 of 14 alley-oops with the main recipients being Coleman, Thompson and Owens. Far cry from what we've seen in our offense in recent years. Of course, having a point guard with the talent and ability of Sherman Douglas didn't hurt, together with other superb athletes.

Here are the main cogs of that team:
- Stevie Thompson - small in stature, but could leap like an impala.
- Billy Owens - super frosh that year, but he did have a tough time in this game.
- Sherman Douglas - quick, nimble and alley oop facilitator extraordinaire.
- Derrrick Coleman - the windex man and terrific shot blocker (my all time favourite player).

Brought some real joy during this troubling time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedSoxNat

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom