Limited seating, masks, temperature checks? What can SU football fans expect at the Carrier Dome this fall | Page 19 | Syracusefan.com

Limited seating, masks, temperature checks? What can SU football fans expect at the Carrier Dome this fall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed Tomcat . Would be very surprised if 100 percent capacity is is in the cards for either football or hoops in 21. Just being practical. The summer months will be more conducive to to larger gatherings while covid is more out of season and vaccine is in it's 6 month effective window which is my understanding is it's effective duration. Though perhaps I mis heard that. It's very possible that new vaccines will need to be administered during a "new covid season ". If things are going well I would think the season starts at around 60 to 70 percent and either stays that way or actually decreases the further into the fall/winter months we get which would be the typical flu and now covid season. Just guessing here to be clear.

Agreed Tomcat . Would be very surprised if 100 percent capacity is is in the cards for either football or hoops in 21. Just being practical. The summer months will be more conducive to to larger gatherings while covid is more out of season and vaccine is in it's 6 month effective window which is my understanding is it's effective duration. Though perhaps I mis heard that. It's very possible that new vaccines will need to be administered during a "new covid season ". If things are going well I would think the season starts at around 60 to 70 percent and either stays that way or actually decreases the further into the fall/winter months we get which would be the typical flu and now covid season. Just guessing here to be clear.
The state is banking on vaccines lasting more then 6 months. My new vaccine passport expires end of august and I got it in January. I’ll bet you anything it’s good for at least a year.

The state is banking on vaccines lasting more then 6 months. My new vaccine passport expires end of august and I got it in January. I’ll bet you anything it’s good for at least a year.

Exactly, the only reason they are saying 6 months currently is because they haven’t had the trial results yet to tell if it’s longer.

Probably will need a booster every once in awhile but it won’t be as dire as getting that first shot. Our bodies immune system is quite impressive defending itself once it’s been introduced to a threat.

Good to hear. That's why I added the disclaimer. Though if there are new variants there may need to be the need for a booster. I am not a doc but if there is an effective duration, I would wonder if it is as equally effective at the end of the duration as it was in the beginning. I have no idea.

To my knowledge, there is no plan to change seating for this summer, or any time in the immediate future. It turned out to be a lot harder than the university first thought...

Indeed. From what I've read it also triggers other ADA type mandates which would become expensive/difficult to implement in the same time frame.

Indeed. From what I've read it also triggers other ADA type mandates which would become expensive/difficult to implement in the same time frame.
I was under the impression the original plan was to make the dome ada compliant.

I was under the impression the original plan was to make the dome ada compliant.

SU also plans to add more ADA compliant seating in the coming years and has designs for it, along with working on upgrading the elevators. For renovations, the university worked with United Spinal, a disability rights organization, measuring “right to the quarter inch” so that everything is compliant, Sala said. The upgrades are scheduled to be done by 2022.

So maybe once that is done they can consider tackling a larger seat overhaul. IMO they should start with making the lower bowl individual seats.

Good to hear. That's why I added the disclaimer. Though if there are new variants there may need to be the need for a booster. I am not a doc but if there is an effective duration, I would wonder if it is as equally effective at the end of the duration as it was in the beginning. I have no idea.
That's right, and the only way to know is to keep collecting data from people that have been vaccinated and see how they change as time goes on. It looks like a recent data dump shows that after six months the vaccines still appear highly effective; perhaps that's what you were thinking of.

There is no conclusion on the vaccines effective duration. But most expect it will be longer then 6 months. At least with current variants.

To my knowledge, there is no plan to change seating for this summer, or any time in the immediate future. It turned out to be a lot harder than the university first thought...
Yes, because people have bigger butts and if you made seating comfortable for the majority there would be fewer seats. Even small-butted people are uncomfortable on those benches. I am very disappointed. At the very least they could put a back around all the benches in the third tier.

There is no conclusion on the vaccines effective duration. But most expect it will be longer then 6 months. At least with current variants.
Last I read, analysis from early victims indicated protection from a Covid infection was roughly in the range of 85% after 6 months (not everyone is the same but on average). The experts said it looked like protection would last for a year and possibly years.

I believe there is general agreement protection from the vaccines is expected to be more wide ranging (regarding variants) and long lasting than an actual Covid infection.

The only person I have read who expressed boosters for the vaccine would be needed after 6 months was the CEO of Pfizer. He is not an expert i. The field and certainly is not without a bias here.

Unless a crazy variant pops up soon, I don’t expect vaccine boosters will be needed for at least a year from vaccination.

But I am a computer science guy. I could be wrong...

Last I read, analysis from early victims indicated protection from a Covid infection was roughly in the range of 85% after 6 months (not everyone is the same but on average). The experts said it looked like protection would last for a year and possibly years.

I believe there is general agreement protection from the vaccines is expected to be more wide ranging (regarding variants) and long lasting than an actual Covid infection.

The only person I have read who expressed boosters for the vaccine would be needed after 6 months was the CEO of Pfizer. He is not an expert i. The field and certainly is not without a bias here.

Unless a crazy variant pops up soon, I don’t expect vaccine boosters will be needed for at least a year from vaccination.

But I am a computer science guy. I could be wrong...
I think it’s too early to call on open capacity, NY positive rate has declined to under .2% If it gets well below 1 and I think it will I think it’s very possible with the negative test/proof of vaccine plan ....but nobody knows , it’s just speculation about n anyone’s part.

I don't think you can lump in a "covid season" with a "flu season." There is nothing that indicates weather has any effect on covid like it does on the flu.

I'm sure we'll be hearing updates in the coming months on whether a booster is necessary either ro address variants or to sustain immunity.

Tom, what do you know about the seats? They were going to redo them but now I don’t know.
As I understand it there was an exploratory effort to see if we could fund replacing the lower bowl seating rather than reinstalling the benches when they were taken out during construction. We xould not come up with the funding at the time, so upgraded seating went back on the future enhancements wish list. Don;t expect anything until 2024 at the earliest.

Just got my Excelsior Pass. It is good for 180 days after the second shot. I assume the same time frame for the single J & J.

SU also plans to add more ADA compliant seating in the coming years and has designs for it, along with working on upgrading the elevators. For renovations, the university worked with United Spinal, a disability rights organization, measuring “right to the quarter inch” so that everything is compliant, Sala said. The upgrades are scheduled to be done by 2022.

So maybe once that is done they can consider tackling a larger seat overhaul. IMO they should start with making the lower bowl individual seats.
This is only small piece in becoming 100% ADA compliant. Full compliance would likely rang in the tens of millions, or maybe even hundreds of millions of dollars. At one point it was believed that a third level concourse would be required because ADA specifies the number, pitch and height of stairs required to reach every seat in the facility.

This is only small piece in becoming 100% ADA compliant. Full compliance would likely rang in the tens of millions, or maybe even hundreds of millions of dollars. At one point it was believed that a third level concourse would be required because ADA specifies the number, pitch and height of stairs required to reach every seat in the facility.

I knew it was complicated but could not remember the specifics. I had the chance to talk to Pete Sala many years ago about the Dome and even then I think the ADA changes were major blockers to the project.

I knew it was complicated but could not remember the specifics. I had the chance to talk to Pete Sala many years ago about the Dome and even then I think the ADA changes were major blockers to the project.
Read it and weep!

This is just a couple of sections dealing wih seating areas. The full bill is hundreds of pages. We are grandfathered in as an existing facility, but one renovations that materially affect the inner bowl commence, the likelihood is we would lose that grandfather clause and need to become fully compliant.

I hope for 100% in the Dome. But realistically, based on where our attendance has been in recent years, even 50% will likely provide for an ALMOST typical game day experience. Still hoping for full house tho...

I hope for 100% in the Dome. But realistically, based on where our attendance has been in recent years, even 50% will likely provide for an ALMOST typical game day experience. Still hoping for full house tho...

I'd honestly be surprised if it's not quite a bit higher than 50% capacity. It seems NY is relaxing restrictions on an almost daily basis. Four months from now should hopefully see a continued increase in vaccinations & decline in case rate. Plus if they require a proof of vaccination or negative covid test, I don't see why they couldn't open it to 100%. I think it's a very safe bet a good portion of teams across the country will allow full capacity. I really hope NY does too. I know I'll be there!

Last edited:
I'd honestly be surprised if it's not quite a bit higher than 50% capacity. It seems NY is relaxing restrictions on an almost daily basis. Four months from now should hopefully see a continued increase in vaccinations & decline in case rate. Plus if they require a proof of vaccine or negative covid test, I don't see why they couldn't open it to 100%. I think it's a very safe bet a good portion of teams across the country will allow full capacity. I really hope NY does too. I know I'll be there!
Its very possible. Honestly, if it was an outdoor stadium I would be pretty confident it would be 100%. The indoor angle is the only slight hesitation I have. But if I had to guess my guess is 100% with proof of vaccination or testing. There may still be some sort of masking requirement as a safety check...

PA dropping all restrictions Memorial Day.

will drop mask mandate when they get to 70% vaccinated.

NY should take a similar approach. Give us an end date. A benchmark to hit
ny is getting rid of most restrictions may 19, but im sure the masks will stay until july at minimum

PA dropping all restrictions Memorial Day.

will drop mask mandate when they get to 70% vaccinated.

NY should take a similar approach. Give us an end date. A benchmark to hit
Better start sticking those needles in kids or else 70% isn't happening haha

Status
Not open for further replies.