Lin's Departure Teaches Knicks Fans Important Lesson | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Lin's Departure Teaches Knicks Fans Important Lesson

Just went to Larry Coon's website

The second-year salary in such an offer sheet is limited to the standard 4.5% raise. The third-year salary can jump considerably -- it is allowed to be as high as it would have been had the first-year salary not been limited by this rule to the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception2. The salary in the fourth season may increase (or decrease) by up to 4.1% of the salary in the third season. The offer sheet can only contain the large jump in the third season if it provides the highest salary allowed in the first two seasons, it is fully guaranteed, and it contains no bonuses of any kind.

So the contract you propose would not be allowed under the CBA. You'd be stuck having to make the last year a team option, which is what they did in the first place, and then when the Knicks kept making noise about how they would match anything, they decided to change it.

What is the evidence that Lin didn't? What player wouldn't rather get an extra guaranteed year than not get one? I think you're reaching on this particular point. Occam's razor says that the reason Lin didn't get a guaranteed fourth year is because Houston wouldn't guarantee it.

This gets us back to the first part; we have no idea if Houston was willing to guarantee a fourth year.

And it also gets back to the point that while Lin wasn't an innocent bystander in this, either was Houston. It's in their best interests to create a contract the Knicks aren't going to match. Which makes the first offer you heard about a little interesting. I would like to know what happened between the original offer sheet and the final one that came out.

its in houstons best interest to create a contract that the knicks arent going to match, exactly. moqui doesnt seem to grasp that, hes only looking at this from lin`s perspective, but theres another party involved. he keeps saying that lin could have negotiated a more favorable contract for the knicks to match, but why would houston go along with this???? they want to make it as tough as possible for the knicks to match, which they did, and somehow thats all lin`s doing? no chance.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2

And it also gets back to the point that while Lin wasn't an innocent bystander in this, either was Houston. It's in their best interests to create a contract the Knicks aren't going to match.

I am not arguing that point at all

my 0nly point is that Lin was a participant and co-author . . . he refused a first offer sheet, which shows that he did have bargaining power even though he only received a single offer.

Which makes the first offer you heard about a little interesting. I would like to know what happened between the original offer sheet and the final one that came out.

Exactly. Houston sweetened their offer with 2 provisions: (1) more money for Lin and (2) a big fat poison pill to dissuade the Knicks

While 2 worked in their favor, it would also have been very problematic for anyone who wanted the Knicks to at least have a chance to match - it would have been a poison pill for Lin (who had already rejected them once) if he truly wanted NY to remain an option.

On the other hand, if Lin actually wanted to get away from the Knicks, then (2) is a feature of the new contract, not a problem. It allows Lin to get away while still looking clean.

In the end, we can never prove anything one way or the other. I just suspect that Lin wanted out of NY and I think his story has a big hole in it. But, I don't want to beat this horse any more; it is way past dead.

my 0nly point is that Lin was a participant and co-author . . . he refused a first offer sheet, which shows that he did have bargaining power even though he only received a single offer.

As I said, this part of the story confuses me in terms of how it went down. I don't believe Lin could have rejected it by himself; nothing is official until the moratorium is lifted but teams won;t go back on their offers; so the only thing I can imagine is the two sides both agreed to "rip up" the contract and draft a new one to give Lin more money, and give Houston a better chance of keeping him.

But, I don't want to beat this horse any more; it is way past dead.

So then; how deep will the bench be next year? (it's time for that debate, right?)

Also, I ended up reading a bit more of the salary cap FAQ since i was reading about the offer sheets; man is the CBA freaking complicated.

its in houstons best interest to create a contract that the knicks arent going to match, exactly. moqui doesnt seem to grasp that, hes only looking at this from lin`s perspective, but theres another party involved. he keeps saying that lin could have negotiated a more favorable contract for the knicks to match, but why would houston go along with this???? they want to make it as tough as possible for the knicks to match, which they did, and somehow thats all lin`s doing? no chance.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2
because Daryl Morey is one of the smartest GMs in the game, and he didn't put the poison pill in his initial offer. What changed?

Before Houston has to clear the hurdle of an offer the Knicks might not match, they have to construct that Lin will sign.

"OK, Jeremy, you don't like this one, let's work on constructing one that you do want."

Lo and behold, a deal that is difficult for NY to swallow.

even the dullest tools in the shed should be able to see that there was more than one author to the final offer sheet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom